Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 22:07   #30121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Thanks guys for your valuable replies.
M51 was not considered because it was even bulkier than M31s even though it has Snapdragon processor.
... to my Sony 55 inch TV. Can it be mirrored?
1. Samsung app provides some extra discounts to students for lower phones, I think M31s is included. Check that out too. M51 is bulkier due to the bigger battery. So consider longer battery life too.

Yes, you can mirror screen to android TVs, or use YouTube app to beam playback too but that is not mirroring.
Old 6th November 2020, 08:42   #30122
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

A question to all the hardcore techies out there: What is the reasoning behind the non flagship processor phones? How do they compare price-performance wise? Any advantages to buying a non flagship current phone over a previous generation flagship? TIA.
Old 6th November 2020, 09:46   #30123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
A question to all the hardcore techies out there: What is the reasoning behind the non flagship processor phones? How do they compare price-performance wise? Any advantages to buying a non flagship current phone over a previous generation flagship? TIA.
Difference is not the phone, but the user.

Oops!!!

Switch off data, bluetooth, wifi, extra memory, GPS, NFC, remove that MicroSD?C card, and what is the difference between a phone like Nokia 101 / Samsung Guru, etc.c with prices in 3 digits or near abouts and a phone with all that jargon, upgradeable OS, installable apps, etc? @ 6 digit prices?

Look well and you'll realise that the distinction is not "what" but "why". It is about the user's usually perceived, rather than actual need.

Android works well on 3 gigs. 1.4GHz quad core. (I said "works", not "works well".) So why do we ask for 6 or 8 or 12 Gigs, and 2.8 GHz octacores? And still look for more?

We need the latest. Fastest and slickest. If you fall within that "we", you get the current flagship.

If willing to compromise on later 2, but still want the latest software for longer, you get a processor one or two notches below the current flagship. It is usually yesterday's flagship processor.

When budget is a constraint, we set it and get the best speced device within that price.

But why go for yesterday's flagship? That is when you want a slick phone, not bothered about latest OS version and yes, you DO have a flagship in hand.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:25   #30124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
... But why go for yesterday's flagship? That is when you want a slick phone, not bothered about latest OS version and yes, you DO have a flagship in hand.
Thanks. I get the software update part, but I'm still left wondering if the manufacturer of the cpu/gpu and the phone could just use the older processor, which would have become yesterday's CPU /GPU. Is there something about the non flagship processor that makes it advantageous to use a non flagship CPU?

I guess my question is, why, unlike in the laptop /desktop world, we have so many different processors in the smartphone world?
Old 6th November 2020, 12:42   #30125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I guess my question is, why, unlike in the laptop /desktop world, we have so many different processors in the smartphone world?
er, there are multitudes of processors in the laptop/desktop world.

Just putting this here

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4312.html
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 14:47   #30126
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AndroidOne is best replaced by another AndroidOne. Especially, on Moto,
Her last 2 phones have been Motorola's, they haven't exactly been bad but perhaps worth trying some other brand. I don't know how irritating this ad/bloatware is on Redmi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
I have no budget limit even till 40k but wife has capped upto 20k. I do not want any Chinese (no offence to anybody but thats our priority).
If you have a bigger budget, from what I read One Plus Nord is the best mid-range phone out there around 28k for 128gb. I'm also on the lookout for a phone for my mom around the 15k mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
In your budget of 20K you could get the M51 (6 GB RAM / 128 GB) variant as well. Reason for recommending M51 is that it comes with Snapdragon processor which would imply that phone performs / ages better, and is available within your budget as well.
How are these Samsung phones around the 10-20k budget? I had a Samsung S3 5yrs back & it slowed down after 2yrs or so. Not sure if that same tendency is there in modern Samsung phones.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Typos.
Old 6th November 2020, 15:09   #30127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er, there are multitudes of processors in the laptop/desktop world.

Just putting this here
Is there a table / compilation like this for mobile processors?

Also, with the desktop, the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, disk drive(s) etc make a big difference. There is really not much choice in the mobiles world. What the phone makers get is a system on a chip, and their choice is to pick the other parts - radio, speakers, screen, camera, etc. Add in software customisation / tethering / lock in - whatever you call it.

For the desktop, The customer gets to choose the parts that make entire package. For the laptop, there are equivalents with plenty of post-purchase customisation options. In situations, we can choose the OS and with things like BSD or GNU/Linux, even further customise the OS.

Choices are limited in the phone world. You choose the whole package which a manufacturer has put together. Add an sd card, if the VFAT royalty system allows your manufacturer to add it. That's all.

But, Aren't we comparing apples and oranges?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 17:49   #30128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But, Aren't we comparing apples and oranges?
Maybe, i was just mentioning that point because another poster seemed to have implied that there were not a lot of processors in laptops/desktops
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:12   #30129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
1. Poco X3
2. Realme 7 Pro
3. Poco X2

In terms of pure specs, it is quite close, though I would prefer the Realme as the best all rounder.

If non-Chinese phone is required, then the M51 can be had for 21k with cashback offers.

If you want a device which exceeds the power of your current device, then these are the 2 options-

1. Realme X3

https://www.flipkart.com/realme-x3-a...m325a6e0c17b0a

2. Redmi K20

https://www.amazon.in/Redmi-K20-Glac...MH15C4GZD&th=1

I would prefer the Realme X3 between the above 2, if you are fine with an LCD screen.

Guys many thanks for your suggestions.

I finally went in for Realme 7 Pro @ 18.5 in the ongoing Flipkart sale.

It was a close fight between Samsung M51, Poco X3 and Realme 7pro.

Poco X3 pros:

Gaming oriented processor and mammoth battery. Have been with Poco Brand for two years (F1) and the phone has served well so reliability is assumed to be good.

Poco X3 cons:

Big and Bulky. And how ! At 235 gms, its one of the heaviest phones ever built as far as i know. I am a sucker for big displayes and for me a 6.7 inch display is good enough, but i don't appreciate heavy phones at all. So there it goes out of the race.

M51 pros:

Fantastic display and the fact that its a non-chinese phone.

M51 cons:

At 22.5k for 6 GB varient, atleast the company could have provided 120 Hz display and latest Snapdragon processor. But the real deal breaker for me was the SAR values. At 1.38 W/Kg, its almost double than its chinese competitors and its a bit of a suprise as well since Samsung phones generally do have lesser SAR values. Whether or not the SAR values have any direct or indirect relationship any adverse effect on humans, well its a different debate all together. But since i am a somewhat heavy user, my priority was to have a phone with a moderate or low SAR values.

Realme 7 Pro pros:

A good balance between build quality, the right size (6.4 cm), low weight 185gm, moderate SAR values, and features. It comes with Super AMOLED display which is icing on the cake unlike Poco X3. The biggest pro is the 65 watt Ultra charger

Realme 7 cons:

I would have liked a bigger battery at this price but the ultra fast charger should compensate to some extent. And i wished it had corning Gorilla glass 5 instead of 3 (am i asking for too much ? )

Hope above analysis helps someone taking a a similar decision.

Last edited by DCEite : 9th November 2020 at 15:14.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 11:59   #30130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I got one for my Dad who’s primary requirement was a compact phone.

A definite recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Picked up a 4a recently and sharing my thoughts...

* Google service centers/ after sales network is wafer thin..
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
My Pixel 2XL will complete 2 years next week.

4A 5G and 5 also have a wideangle camera. Plus bigger battery. That should be interesting.
I have been in love with stock/near-stock Android since the last 7 years ever since I bought the first edition Moto G. That was made by Google when they owned Motorola. Fantastic phone, I still have it as a backup running CyanogenMod OS now.

Followed it up with Moto X Style, which I think was the last phone made by Motorola under Google before changing ownership to Lenovo.

Currently using Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 since last 2 years. Bought it for the near stock Android, but sadly Asus botched up the user/software experience with delayed and buggy OS update. So I am finally planning to get rid of it.

Owning a Nexus/Pixel device has always been a dream and since stock Android options are always limited anyways, I am now eyeing the Pixel 4A. Experience shared by you guys is very helpful. Was also checking out reviews of the 4A 5G, but unfortunately that's not coming to India

Can someone please shed some light on the after sales support experience with the Pixel devices? Are there any physical service centers anywhere or is it all online? And how helpful is the support in case of genuine issues?

Also, the other phone that I can think of in this price range and criteria is the One Plus Nord. I guess you guys might've had that in your shortlist as well. Any particular strong reasons to choose Pixel 4A over the Nord?

Thanks in advance!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:22   #30131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Can someone please shed some light on the after sales support experience with the Pixel devices? Are there any physical service centers anywhere or is it all online? And how helpful is the support in case of genuine issues?

Any particular strong reasons to choose Pixel 4A over the Nord?

Thanks in advance!
I have had the Nexus 5X and then the Pixel 2 which was used until last month.

There is nothing that comes close to a pixel in the android space. The phone will never lag. My 3-year-old Pixel 2 got the latest Andriod and was lag-free through the 3 years. The camera quality is better than my current iPhone 11.

Service support for Pixel 2 was online. The best part was the person who came to my house and picked up the phone. ( Gave me a replacement device)

The new phone was delivered to my home as well. It was the best service experience for any electronic device I have had.

Cons: Battery backup and screen.

I would have jumped at the Pixel 5 if it was launched in India. My reason for not selecting a Pixel 4a was the single-camera setup and screen size.

Replace the excellent camera setup with a better screen and you have an OP Nord.
Mr.Beat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 21:35   #30132
BHPian

Hey Team,

I was using the Google play music but recent times have changed Google, which made them phase out the Play Music completely. Any replacements for GP Music, a player with good UI and ad-free experience for my downloaded stock music.

Regards,

Pranav
Old 10th November 2020, 22:01   #30133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Hey Team,

I was using the Google play music but recent times have changed Google, which made them phase out the Play Music completely. Any replacements for GP Music, a player with good UI and ad-free experience for my downloaded stock music.

Regards,

Pranav
Downloaded = music stored locally on your device right? PowerAmp is by far the best music player available on Android.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 03:49   #30134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Any replacements for GP Music, a player with good UI and ad-free experience for my downloaded stock music.please
Try Pi music player, one of the best, incidentally developed by an indian firm.

Got good ratings and nice UI. Has a paid version as well.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:00   #30135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Also, the other phone that I can think of in this price range and criteria is the One Plus Nord. I guess you guys might've had that in your shortlist as well. Any particular strong reasons to choose Pixel 4A over the Nord?
I picked this phone for my dad who has a very basic smartphone usage. The ONLY primary requirement he had was that the phone needs to be COMPACT.

Having used a Redmi 4 for over 2 years, I convinced him to take a bigger jump to have a better smartphone experience overall. And he is glad that he took that leap.
He is super happy with the phone, especially the clean android interface, no pesky ads / notifications, overall fluidity and a decent battery life.

OP Nord was out straight due to it's size. Anyway, even if that had a screen size matching the Pixel 4a; it would still have been 2nd in my list.

Simply put, Pixel is the iPhone of Android devices. It does have it's fair share of negatives; but at the end of the day, the overall experience is much superior to ignore those shortcomings.

Hope this helps.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks