Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 22:56   #29926
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello All, Any recommendations on tempered glass brands? I used to buy cell bell, but looks like they no longer sell for all models.
Old 11th August 2020, 06:19   #29927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I was tossing between the Samsung A31 & A51 but I'm confused which is better.
The newly launched Samsung M31s saves you 4 thousand rupees and has all the hardware of A51 while getting a better camera and larger battery. But it's heavier by a few grams.

Here's a comparo: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...idPhone3=10149

You can save another 1.5K if you buy it today on the Amazon sale.

That being said, Google 4a seems like a much better buy, but not sure when will it launch.

Last edited by creative420 : 11th August 2020 at 06:21. Reason: more info
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 11:38   #29928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to buy a phone for my wife who's a regular user, below are my requirements
Take a look at the Mi K20 Pro. They have dropped the price marginally. As a device, it is very good.

https://www.mi.com/in/redmi-k20-pro/specs
Old 14th August 2020, 11:51   #29929
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
The newly launched Samsung M31s saves you 4 thousand rupees and has all the hardware of A51 while getting a better camera and larger battery. But it's heavier by a few grams.

Here's a comparo: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...idPhone3=10149

You can save another 1.5K if you buy it today on the Amazon sale.

That being said, Google 4a seems like a much better buy, but not sure when will it launch.
Supposedly A51 has better specs which is why slightly higher price? I got feedback that after a few months the M31 becomes laggy, not sure how true. Honestly I don't really like Samsung's - used one back in 2012 & was enough to put me off.

I agree about the pixel 4a, apparently coming to India in Oct'20. I actually love One Plus phones, still using a 4yrs old One Plus 3, if only China had not done what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Take a look at the Mi K20 Pro. They have dropped the price marginally. As a device, it is very good.

https://www.mi.com/in/redmi-k20-pro/specs
Thanks for the suggestion, mate. But, Mi = Chinese company, even though the phone might be assembled in India. That's a no-go for me. I know the argument of components in most phones being Chinese etc but its a personal choice.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:34   #29930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Supposedly A51 has better specs which is why slightly higher price? I got feedback that after a few months the M31 becomes laggy, not sure how true. Honestly I don't really like Samsung's - used one back in 2012 & was enough to put me off.

As pointed out the A51, M21, M31 & M31s are all running the same Exynos 9611 processor with different ram configurations. I think you should choose between these purely based on the camera. My wife recently picked up an M21 and I am super impressed with the phone for its price.

Don't go by your Samsung 2012 experience. Those were the days of Touchwiz which was downright horrible and cartoony. Ever since they launched One UI, the Samsung experience has greatly improved and is up there with the best. I shifted from a history of Nexus & OnePlus phones to a Note 10 Lite back in Feb. and the experience has been great.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th August 2020 at 12:39. Reason: typo
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:50   #29931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Hello All, Any recommendations on tempered glass brands? I used to buy cell bell, but looks like they no longer sell for all models.
Try Gadget Shield or Shieldz. They are good, have good skins too.

In case, you have a Samsung, they wrap one in their digital plaza store. You may try that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:15   #29932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
As pointed out the A51, M21, M31 & M31s are all running the same Exynos 9611 processor with different ram configurations. I think you should choose between these purely based on the camera. My wife recently picked up an M21 and I am super impressed with the phone for its price.
I agree on this. Samsung has upped the game in Mid-Range segment by flooding the market with 'ever-so-slightly' different configuration of memory/camera/battery with same processor and GPU. Also, M series is available only online.
Another difference between M and A series is - access to Knox security (which is used by many organizations to enable BYOD). M series mostly doesn't have access to KNOX though.

Recently bought M21 for a senior citizen relative and it's good value for money with very good AMOLED display and good OneUI experience.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:55   #29933
Team-BHP Support

Got a notification mail today that Google is removing Google Play Music by the end of this year and replacing it with YouTube Music. Sort of a forced transition if you ask me.

YouTube Music does play offline content stored in the phone but doesn't let you stream into Android Auto unless you have a Premium account! I hope that changes soon. XDA to the rescue otherwise.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 02:09   #29934
Distinguished - BHPian

Google products... every so often they pick them up, shuffle the pack and deal again, throwing a few away
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 08:00   #29935
Senior - BHPian

Would you suggest a Samsung A51/A71 for my mother, who wants to upgrade from Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1? Her usage,as you might except is not PUBG, but occasional whatsapp, Outlook but she plays a lot of online Bridge extensively and needs a better display/resolution.

Again, suggesting a One Plus may not wash with her. On the other hand, I am not to impressed with Samsung's software update policy. Not sure if the A series will get 2 major OS iterations. Any thoughts?
Old 15th August 2020, 09:16   #29936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any suggestions for a mobile within 15k? Looking for a non Mi, Oppo, Vivo one. Samsung M31 seems to fit the bill.
Actually your choice is absolutely correct. Since this side of 20k don't have much choices to go with in the non-Chinese segment. You may check out the M21 if you want to save some bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Would you suggest a Samsung A51/A71 for my mother, who wants to upgrade from Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1? Her usage,as you might except is not PUBG, but occasional whatsapp, Outlook but she plays a lot of online Bridge extensively and needs a better display/resolution.

Again, suggesting a One Plus may not wash with her. On the other hand, I am not to impressed with Samsung's software update policy. Not sure if the A series will get 2 major OS iterations. Any thoughts?
The updates for the budget segment of Samsung is very uncertain. You may consider the Moto One Fusion Plus or the Realme 6/6 pro in that case too if you are willing to abide by a Chinese product for now.
P.S I do have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 2019 which was recently updated to Android 10 with One UI 2.0. It was quite surprising for me since I was not expecting that as most of the manufacturers skip to give such updates. Even the 3-4 yr old Galaxy J series phones are also running on Android 10 and security patch of around June/July which is exceptionally great.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th August 2020 at 09:37. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 17th August 2020, 15:56   #29937
BHPian

Hi Guys. I am looking to upgrade from my Oneplus 6 which i have been using for the past 2 years. I have my eyes on Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 7t. Will Oneplus 7t be an upgrade from my Oneplus 6? I am a normal phone user and likes to click lot of photos of my rides. Not an avid gamer and use phone for social media platforms and watching videos. Not having the heart to splurge 50k for oneplus 8. Will onplus 7t feel like an upgrade?
Old 17th August 2020, 17:45   #29938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
... Will onplus 7t feel like an upgrade?
7T is definitely an upgrade over the 6, specs-wise. 7Pro is probably a better device than 8 for similar money, unless you absolutely must have 5G.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:39   #29939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Got a notification mail today that Google is removing Google Play Music by the end of this year and replacing it with YouTube Music. Sort of a forced transition if you ask me.
There are so many service providers on this front now, I have Amazon prime Music bundled with Prime and Wynk Music (Free with Airtel), I have hardly ever used it, besides now Prime works with Android Auto.
Old 17th August 2020, 19:10   #29940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Hi Guys. I am looking to upgrade from my Oneplus 6 which i have been using for the past 2 years. I have my eyes on Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 7t. Will Oneplus 7t be an upgrade from my Oneplus 6? I am a normal phone user and likes to click lot of photos of my rides. Not an avid gamer and use phone for social media platforms and watching videos. Not having the heart to splurge 50k for oneplus 8. Will onplus 7t feel like an upgrade?
Hey. My two bit. OnePlus 6 is fairly capable at the moment considering your usage. I would actually say hang on for a month or two. The One Plus 8T should be out by end September-October. Take a call between 8 and 8T. The 7T is almost a year old, not worth it right now according to me.

ps - I have been using a 7T since launch.

Best,
Promit
promit is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks