Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 15:37   #29911
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
My dad's nokia 8 also restarts frequently, now to the point that it's unusable. The Service Centre couldn't provide a battery however they said it costs around 3k. Please share the feedback of your new battery.
The Nokia 8 battery is HE328 and as per the authorised service centre and most of the internet feedback, original batteries are no longer made available by Nokia across India. The Authorised service centre in my town committed 1.5K for the battery much in line with most of the options online. I did get mine today from the realkart website discussed in the previous posts.

Also be wary of smartmouth service centre guys. Mine committed last week to work with the battery that i would bring. changed the tune today when i got the battery (they said they would change only if original spares came from Nokia). Had to use harsh words to get them to agree to fix it again. Will hand over the battery tomorrow and hopefully it works. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi Rohit, hope this battery website works out..
Thanks for the heads up. Received a battery now. I was really worried i would end up with a matchbox instead of the batteries. Luckily got the right model and was cheaper than what the service centre was asking.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 15:49   #29912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
The Nokia 8 battery is HE328 and as per the authorised service centre and most of the internet feedback, original batteries are no longer made available by Nokia across India. The Authorised service centre in my town committed 1.5K for the battery much in line with most of the options online. I did get mine today from the realkart website discussed in the previous posts.
How many days it took to reach you? Is the phone restarting randomly again? And how's the battery backup? Thanks in advance.

MOD NOTE - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2020 at 18:03. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 27th July 2020, 15:50   #29913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
WhatsApp, Google Photos and all other Google Apps backed up to the Google Drive. Contacts anyway synced to Gmail. Games data can be synced to Gmail account. SMS Backup & Restore for backing up SMS and call logs.
Thanks, but Google apps aren't the concern. I am talking of all the multitude of apps from other sources.
Old 27th July 2020, 16:24   #29914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks, but Google apps aren't the concern. I am talking of all the multitude of apps from other sources.
If the app supports Android's Auto Backup framework, the new phone will automatically restore things to as they were, after it is linked to the same Google Account.

Apps that don't support Auto Backup (yet) might still have their own systems for backup.

Others sometimes have an "import/export settings & data" feature.

If the app is simply a dumb client for a service (eg: Amazon app) then what do you care?

All other apps, you are SOL.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:29   #29915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If the app supports Android's Auto Backup framework, the new phone will automatically restore things to as they were, after it is linked to the same Google Account.
Ok thanks, let me look this up. It's been quite long since I bought a phone. So, basically you are saying I should be able to restore most apps and data as is which is quite a relief.
Old 27th July 2020, 17:04   #29916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok thanks, let me look this up. It's been quite long since I bought a phone. So, basically you are saying I should be able to restore most apps and data as is which is quite a relief.
Be aware that there are notwithstandings and therebefores associated. In particular, make sure you login to the linked Google ID at the time of first boot of the new phone itself and select all the apps you want restored. I haven't yet figured out how to get that screen later on.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:44   #29917
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite a frustrating process and seems Google does its best to make it so.

You can try the procedure given here:
https://www.technipages.com/how-to-b...android-device
Or here:
https://gist.github.com/AnatomicJC/e...6dd2351eb977c1

Be sure to check the links given at the bottom of the article. Remember to run the command prompt on your PC /Laptop in administrator mode.

Even with a rooted phone I've found that complete backup and restore of app+data will fail for many (valid and for no good ) reasons.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 08:59   #29918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
How many days it took to reach you? Is the phone restarting randomly again? And how's the battery backup? Thanks in advance.
Battery took 6 days to reach Kerala from Mumbai. I got it replaced on 28th Evening. My original battery was manufactured in 2017 and the one i got as replacement was manufactured in 2018.

I Installed accubattery to monitor the progress and found the app taking up most of the battery. I got less than 12 hours with my usage of around 45 minutes of gaming and 90 minutes of Netflix and 40 minutes of browsing.

Uninstalled Accubattery immediately. Next charge also got me less than 12 hours. Similar usage as previous day.

Replacement damaged the display with black spots in two locations. Only good thing is the restarting has stopped.

I ended up paying around a grand for new battery and replacement. All in all, i would recommend against this. I am now looking for some good deals in either OP7/OP7T for my next phone. Will keep this phone till such deals arise.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 17:40   #29919
Team-BHP Support

A few days back, I was fiddling with an OTG adapter with my MI A2, connected the wireless mouse's receiver to it and it worked! With an actual mouse pointer and a smooth animation too. Single clicks, double clicks, scrolling - works just like the PC.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-0_img20200706wa0002.jpg

EDIT: Connected the PS4's dualshock 4 controller using a micro USB cable and even that works! I'm sure it will work for games. Don't have any on my phone so can't comment on that. The downside is, the phone charges the controller!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2020 at 19:23.
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 18:10   #29920
BHPian

Quote:
Battery took 6 days to reach Kerala from Mumbai. I got it replaced...

I Installed accubattery to monitor the progress and found the app taking up most of the battery...

Uninstalled Accubattery immediately. Next charge also got me less than 12 hours. Similar usage...

Replacement damaged the display with black spots in two locations. .
I have a couple of comments:
  1. Did you get the battery replaced at the authorised service center?
  2. I've installed Accubattery on all my devices and have never faced your problem, could you try version 1.3.5 from apkmirror?
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A few days back, I was fiddling with an OTG adapter with my MI A2,... works just like the PC.
Then I suggest you try it with Samsung Dex or something like it (Sentio) - you can get a desktop experience with your phone.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2020 at 18:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks. :)
Old 30th July 2020, 18:41   #29921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
[list=1][*]Did you get the battery replaced at the authorised service center?
Yes i was particular i wanted the authorised service centre to do it. Though as i mentioned earlier, they did not have any stocks of the battery. I had to procure it elsewhere.
Old 30th July 2020, 19:56   #29922
Distinguished - BHPian

Google Pixel 3A Service Experience

This is my service experience with Google and B2X, during the lockdown.

I got a Pixel 3a in October 2019. I was looking for a good camera phone, decent processor and within 40k. Since this is a office phone, my organization approved certain OEMs only (yeah I wanted to get a One Plus but it wasn't an approved device). Would have got the XR but that was retailing at 50k. Having heard a lot about Pixel and it's camera, I thought of giving its budget offering a try.

After using iPhones for close to 6 years (5->5s->SE), I switched to Android and the experience has been good. I did get a Honer 7x as back up phone for a few months but didn't find it's utility and my sister was happy to take new phone off my hands. Between the Pixel and the Honer, the Android experience is much better in the Pixel. Camera is indeed very good, especially the low light ones. My wife uses a iPhone 7 plus with dual camera but Pixel is better here.

Battery issue
Pixel comes with a fast charger which charges the phone from 0-100 in less than 2 hours. I was happy. Downside, the phone used to heat up a lot while charging. I also had a back cover fitted which might increased the heating. On May 14, 2020, during lockdown, one day I removed the back cover to clean the phone. That's when I noticed a slight bulge in the back. Over the next two months, I experienced a steady fall in battery backup too. Immediately raised a ticket with the Google team over a chat, who asked for a couple of pictures of the bulge and then acknowledged the issue in a day.

Now comes the problem. Since the lockdown was in effect, their official service partner B2X (HQed in Mumbai) had suspended all services. They asked me to wait till their services resume. They also recommended to reduce the usage of the phone as much as possible and remove any cover to ensure proper cooling of the device. Without the cover the phone was vulnerable and it managed to slip from my hand and the front screen glass visor cracked too!

After couple of follow-ups, the Google Support team raised a ticket with B2X on July 5th. B2X provides door to door pick and drop service. The phone was collected duly and then sent to their Mumbai service center and I was given a URL where I could track the progress of the repair. I was ready to pay for the screen repair but I never heard from B2X. Finally on July 28th, I got an email saying the device is back in Bangalore and the same day the B2X personnel delivered the device.

Neatly packed in a sealed paper case, with a sim slot pin and a soft cloth to wipe the phone. They had replaced the whole cabinet (rear was deformed due to the bulge while the front glass was cracked) FOC, along with a new battery. From May 14 to July 28, it was quite some delay with periods of inaction but they did a great job even in this lockdown situation.

PS: The B2X guy suggested I keep the charge of the phone between 20% and 90%. Extreme high or low charge can damage the battery.

Already placed order for a Spigen cover for my new phone

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th July 2020 at 19:58.
ashis89 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:27   #29923
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i was particular i wanted the authorised service centre to do it. Though as i mentioned earlier, they did not have any stocks of the battery. I had to procure it elsewhere.
Received the battery. It's manufactured in 2018 too. Called the service center and they straightaway said that the battery wouldn't work . Will take it to a nearby repair shop to get the battery replaced.
Old 5th August 2020, 19:44   #29924
Senior - BHPian

Samsung unveiled the Note 20 Series at Galaxy Unpacked event

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra

-6.9" QuadHD+ 120Hz Adaptive Display
-25% brighter than S20 Ultra
-108MP Triple Camera + Laser AF
-Exynos 990 / SD 865+ Chipset
-256/512GB UFS 3.1 Storage
-12GB RAM
-50x Max Zoom
-4,500mAh Battery

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 15:32   #29925
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I want to buy a phone for my wife who's a regular user, below are my requirements:

Budget: 20-25k INR

Primary use: Video calling with my 7 months old baby (I'm in SG for past 6 months, away from them) , Whatsapp, gmail, youtube (for playing rhymes for the baby)

Current Phone: Mi A1. Only complaint with this phone is that its camera's are not good enough for video calls. I click a lot of screenshots while doing video with my baby

I was tossing between the Samsung A31 & A51 but I'm confused which is better. I had earlier planned on the One Plus but given the political situation, I find it hard to justify buying Chinese product to myself. I actually love the One plus phones, I'm using a 4yrs old One Plus 3, got my father One Plus 7 last year which is again phenomenal!

But due to the political standoff I really don't want to buy a Chinese phone. If anyone has other suggestions within my budget of 25k, I'm all ears. Oh & strictly no iPhone (not that any iphone fits in my budget )

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks