Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 09:15   #30061
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Oppo Find X2 has a Rs.18,000 price cut on Amazon. Check it out in case you are interested.
Old 17th October 2020, 10:40   #30062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Has anyone tried playing songs via USB of their android phones on music systems or car infotainment like how you are able to from ipods and iphones?
In your android phone, when you connect a USB, it is detected as a charging device. If you change the interface (you will get that option in notifications screen) to "storage device", your music system should be able to read music files. But, for the USB connection anything that resembles a music file (like ringtones) are songs. Let me know if this works.
Old 17th October 2020, 11:20   #30063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried playing songs via USB of their android phones on music systems or car infotainment like how you are able to from ipods and iphones?

Just checking cause my home theater and car, both have an ipod usb slot which also plays music from a USB drive. While songs start playing immediately upon connecting to an iphone, it's of no use in an android phone. So checking if anyone knows of any work around as this thread deals with 'mods and apps' as well!
From what i know, car stereo manufacturers jumped on the ipod wagon and helped play songs from the apple ecosystem on their stereos.

Earlier android was based on a different file protocol which allowed your car stereo to play songs but current ones don't do that.

So unless you have a car stereo which supports android play you are left with aux or bt.
Old 17th October 2020, 12:32   #30064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
In your android phone, when you connect a USB, it is detected as a charging device. If you change the interface (you will get that option in notifications screen) to "storage device", your music system should be able to read music files.
With a screenshot. What you should select is MIDI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI. Each of these options do something different but useful (File Transfer enables USB OTG, tethering allows you to use the phone's mobile network connection on a laptop for example, PTP is to photos/videos what MIDI is to audio and the last option lets you to disable everything and just charge from the USB - this is the default and the behaviour you are seeing).

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20201017122512775.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So unless you have a car stereo which supports android play you are left with aux or bt.
Old 17th October 2020, 12:52   #30065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
In your android phone, when you connect a USB, it is detected as a charging device. If you change the interface (you will get that option in notifications screen) to "storage device", your music system should be able to read music files. But, for the USB connection anything that resembles a music file (like ringtones) are songs. Let me know if this works.
Unfortunately not. You could stream songs online from apple on apple music app but in Android, even the downloaded songs aren't supported as it says unsupported every time i change the configuration type (be it file transfer or audio source).

I guess it's either BT or aux unless there's android auto in the car infotainment.
Old 19th October 2020, 11:30   #30066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You should choose based on what you need the most from a device, not occasionally-used, nice-to-have or just vanity 'my phone has this too!' features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Unless you are a power user with very demanding phone requirements, the Nord is an excellent choice and will save you several thousands over the top tier OP models.
Thanks for the feedback. Got the Nord 12GB model yesterday. It operates fine for the usage i have. The mobile is working fine for my usage till now. Thanks for the advise, i saved a bunch. One thing i was really looking forward to was the 90Hz refresh rate. I was picturing some magical transformation of the images or videos. Has not turned out to be like that.
Old 19th October 2020, 11:38   #30067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
... One thing i was really looking forward to was the 90Hz refresh rate. I was picturing some magical transformation of the images or videos. Has not turned out to be like that.
It's not a night and day difference, honestly, and it isn't permanent anyway (the system scales back to 60Hz as/when needed). I once accidentally left it at 60Hz for a month and didn't realise until I was in 'Display Settings' again.

Enjoy your new device.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:28   #30068
BHPian

Just throw it out there to narrow down my search. What would be a good phone to replace a Moto G5 Plus?

Looking at a stable, stock android experience phone which can last 3 years without slowing down much. Budget of 15-18k max
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:06   #30069
BHPian

Hi guys,
I got Pixel 4a yesterday. Now looking for a decent tempered glass and a case (spigen types) for protection. Couldn't find any decent ones on amazon/flipkart.
Any suggestions?
Old 21st October 2020, 21:26   #30070
BHPian

Hello,

With all the festival sales happening, was planning to upgrade my phone and am currently confused between the S20+ and S20 FE. Was hoping to get FE with Snapdragon, following on lines of S10 Lite however that did not happen, else S20FE would have been the simplest choice #disappointed.

Went to the Samsung showroom today and this is what I got as pricing:
  1. S20FE 8GB / 128 GB is for INR 45,999 (after 4K cashback on HDFC credit card). Available in store
  2. S20FE 8GB / 256 GB is for INR 49,999 (after 4K cashback on HDFC credit card). Expected to be available from Friday onwards
  3. S20+ 12GB / 128 GB is for INR 49,999 (after 10K cashback on HDFC credit card). Sold out after the price drop, expected to be back in stock from Friday onwards

Festive season sale seems to have brought the S20+ on par with S20FE in terms of prices at least. And hence my confusion as to which one to go for.

Some comparison points which I noted:
  1. While S20+ does have a Quad HD display, on 120 Hz it is reduced to FHD only which is the case with S20 FE as well. So display wise both end up being same. I have never used a 120 Hz display before so not sure of the difference but whatever I have seen on YouTube seems to suggest that everyone prefers to stick with 120 Hz.
  2. S20+ has a 10 MP front camera whereas S20FE has a 32 MP one but with some updates the 20+ is also now giving good performance on front camera. Could any users of S20+ please share feedback on selfie camera as well?
  3. S20+ has 8K recording which is not needed for my kind of usage

Based on internet reviews, what we loose out on is the processor in both cases. YouTube review from The Tech Chap suggests that Exynos as a chip has slightly lower battery life (10% ~ 15%) and slightly more heating during intensive operations. Am not a very heavy user so can live with these two, though would be happy to hear experiences of other owners as well. The one area which I am concerned about is the camera. Does Exynos chip based image processing on an S series device vary (slightly inferior) compared to same S series device on SD chipset? Would GCAM be an option on Exynos and would it help improve the image quality?

Am more inclined towards the S20FE over S20+. Reason being that S20+ has a slightly curved display and the unit which I used in the showroom had a protective layer on top of it, which did not wrap the entire glass and therefore had sharp edges when trying to invoke the side menu. The sales-person said that this is how the phones come out of the box, with the protection glass pre-installed (which I found strange). Can owners of S20+ confirm if this is indeed the case? And while curved displays are a very personal choice, any opinions on the same would also help. Am tempted to consider S10 Lite as well which has SD processor but then FE has supposedly better camera setup (based on articles I read onlin), IP Rating, 120 Hz display, aluminum frame in its favor.

Cheers,
S
The video is this one
Old 21st October 2020, 21:41   #30071
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Just throw it out there to narrow down my search. What would be a good phone to replace a Moto G5 Plus?

Looking at a stable, stock android experience phone which can last 3 years without slowing down much. Budget of 15-18k max
There is only one phone that can potentially fulfill all these requirements - the Moto One Fusion+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hello,

With all the festival sales happening, was planning to upgrade my phone and am currently confused between the S20+ and S20 FE.
FE should be decent. If you are open to the Chinese brands, then there are options from OnePlus (8 and 8T), and Oppo (Find X2) that can be explored. And the iPhone 11 if you want to go that route.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:54   #30072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
FE should be decent. If you are open to the Chinese brands, then there are options from OnePlus (8 and 8T), and Oppo (Find X2) that can be explored. And the iPhone 11 if you want to go that route.
Thank you for replying Oxy. Am also inclined towards FE for now. Was interested in OnePlus as well but the concerns around privacy with Chinese phones is what makes me hesitate. Now I know that privacy is not much in the online world, what with Facebook, Google and Amazon probably knowing a lot about me already. But the various discussions online about Chinese phones and privacy, even on this thread make me hesitate. Since you brought it up, would love to know your thoughts and thoughts from other OP users as well, without the intention of starting a debate though .

iPhone is something that is being considered as an upgrade, but for my sister. We have all android devices in the family for now and hers would probably be the first iPhone and we will see, maybe next upgrade for me would be an iPhone, who knows . Just now posted a query in the iPhone thread as well for that upgrade.

Cheers,
S
Old 21st October 2020, 22:08   #30073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for replying Oxy. Am also inclined towards FE for now. Was interested in OnePlus as well but the concerns around privacy with Chinese phones is what makes me hesitate.
Cheers,
S
I have been a happy Oneplus user for 5 years now and my whole family - me, wife and son are all using Oneplus.
My first Oneplus was X in 2015, which I used for 2 years and then gave to a relative. It was working fine till a few months back.
Next I had bought the Oneplus 3T phone in 2017 and used that for 2 years (then got battery changed) and gave to my son. He is using it now.
Wife just got the Oneplus Nord 12/256 variant to replace her Iphone 8 and aside from the initial inertia of change from Apple to Android, she is very happy with the Phone.
I am now on Oneplus 6T 8GB/128 (bought in May 2019). I just got the battery changed (free under extended warranty) as it was now giving me only 5 hours of SOT instead of the 7 hours I used to get earlier. (Even if the battery replacement is paid, it costs only 1750 to replace the battery 1300+450 labor) which is well worth it!
I have found Oneplus phones quite usable and fast till 3 years - I only get the battery changed after 18-20 months and it becomes as good as new!
The software is bloatfree and quite clean and fast. The Build is also strong and design is clean.
If I were to recommend OnePlus phones from the current range based on value and performance, I would recommend the Nord 12/256 variant in Gray Ash and the Oneplus 7T pro. The New Oneplus 8T is also quite good.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:42   #30074
BHPian

Quote:
Was hoping to get FE with Snapdragon, following on lines of S10 Lite however that did not happen, else S20FE would have been the simplest choice #disappointed.
That's exactly my feeling too. Even with the plastic body and Exynos chipset, Samsung still priced it premium compared to S20 lite.

I would suggest S20+. I'm actually planning for this for myself as I do not want to go with Chinese brands and certainly not iPhone ( I love customisations or just the feeling that I can do them ).

S20+ has a better build quality, a better screen (higher pixel density) and it looks like a flagship. We just have to be careful about the edges though
neelkumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 07:30   #30075
Senior - BHPian

For those thinking about One Plus phones, just a heads up. There is talk that the next gen OS (Android 11 equivalent) on the One Plus will not be Oxygen OS, but some customized OS like the other Chinese brands. Just keep that in mind before putting your money down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks