Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 08:12   #30046
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I am keen to get it for my classes and notes.
Take a look at this;
https://remarkable.com/

It is a electronic scribble pad and one that is designed with a focus on reading a note taking. You are not distracted by anything else with this device as it does not do much else. I've used it a bit hence the recommendation.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 08:18   #30047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Take a look at this;
https://remarkable.com/

It is a electronic scribble pad and one that is designed with a focus on reading a note taking. You are not distracted by anything else with this device as it does not do much else. I've used it a bit hence the recommendation.
Haha! This is a very niche product! Will only be able to justify it after some years.
As of now, want a mainstream tablet.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:04   #30048
BHPian

I am planning to purchase the OP8 with 6GB RAM at tomorrow's amazon sale. OP7T with 8GB RAM is listed at only 2K lesser than OP8. I am assuming that the larger battery and 5G readiness would be useful in longer run. I was totally planning OP Nord originally but the only time pass i do between work is playing real racing 3 and i felt 765G might not be the best bet for that. Other than that my mobile is mostly used for Youtube and Netflix and not resource intensive.

I am having second thoughts before plonking so much money though. I am really hoping reinforcement for my decision to go with OP8 with 6GB RAM would be a better choice than OP7T with 8GB RAM.
Old 15th October 2020, 13:35   #30049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
...I am really hoping reinforcement for my decision to go with OP8 with 6GB RAM would be a better choice than OP7T with 8GB RAM.
Isn't the price difference more like 4k? Widens more if you compare the 8GB RAM variants (there's also no 256 GB storage variant on the 8).

You also get extra RAM and double the storage with the 8/256 7T variant, and the two phones are barely 6 months apart release-wise, so 7T can't even reasonably be considered previous-gen.

Anyway, for your listed usage, the two phones aren't really that different at all. Fast charging means battery backup shouldn't be a deal-breaker, and 5G really isn't something anyone should be basing a device purchase on right now. Most cellphone networks can barely (or should I say rarely?) support 4G speeds even today, given network congestion and a bunch of other factors. Any sort of widespread and 'usable' 5G is years away, if at all.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2020 at 13:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 14:02   #30050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Isn't the price difference more like 4k? Widens more if you compare the 8GB RAM variants (there's also no 256 GB storage variant on the 8).
Amazon says 37999 for OP7T 8GB 256GB and 39999 for OP8 6GB 128GB version.

Should i really go for such expensive ones or would One plus nord with 6/8/12 GB be more than enough for next few years of slogging.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:36   #30051
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Should I really go for such expensive ones or would One plus Nord with 6/8/12 GB be more than enough for next few years of slogging.
You should choose based on what you need the most from a device, not occasionally-used, nice-to-have or just vanity 'my phone has this too!' features.

The 765G has good usability reviews for a midrange chipset, and is good enough for everything except intense use (e.g. graphic-heavy games at high settings). Reviews suggest it can handle most games at mid-high settings but suffers occasional frame skips at high settings.

Unless you absolutely need flagship specs or bragging rights, an upper mid-ranger like the Nord more than satisfies your use case. It's upto you to decide if the compromises vis a vis the more expensive phones (7T/8) are deal-breakers to you.

Don't spend money you can't extract value for, esp. in current times where the money could be useful elsewhere.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2020 at 14:38.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 11:49   #30052
BHPian

Any reviews on Nokia 5.3 ? I am looking at an Android one based phone , my usage is basic , banking apps and YouTube. Sometime prime music and video.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:58   #30053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazon says 37999 for OP7T 8GB 256GB and 39999 for OP8 6GB 128GB version.

Should i really go for such expensive ones or would One plus nord with 6/8/12 GB be more than enough for next few years of slogging.
One Plus Nord is not only "good enough", but very good. Fantastic screen, great power, smooth operating system, decent enough camera for the price, superfast charging, and good battery life. Cannot expect much more at this price point and it should suffice for 90% of the average users. Recently purchased this and really like the performance.

Unless you are a power user with very demanding phone requirements, the Nord is an excellent choice and will save you several thousands over the top tier OP models.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 14:23   #30054
BANNED

Sister purchased an LG G8X the dual screen on FK BBD sale for ₹ 19,990. And I am baffled - I had tried earlier and again same time she tried - with a card pay.ent and failed. She got it on CoD basis. Both of us tried from the app, no "extras".

She is upgrading from an ancient Honor 4c. So spec wise, it is a huge upgrade for her.
It seems this Apple learnt from this phone - the G8X does not have a charger in the box. So my question is - what to use to charge the phone- it supports wireless charging, so what to look for while buying a charger?
Old 16th October 2020, 18:00   #30055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Sister purchased an LG G8X the dual screen on FK BBD sale for ₹ 19,990. And I am baffled - I had tried earlier and again same time she tried - with a card pay.ent and failed. She got it on CoD basis. Both of us tried from the app, no "extras".

She is upgrading from an ancient Honor 4c. So spec wise, it is a huge upgrade for her.
It seems this Apple learnt from this phone - the G8X does not have a charger in the box. So my question is - what to use to charge the phone- it supports wireless charging, so what to look for while buying a charger?
I also managed to order one at 12:00am when the phone went on sale. It went out of stock withing 2 minutes!
Surprisingly, all unboxing videos on youtube show that the box comes with a charger but on flipkart- no charger in the box - was written.
So, did they specifically remove the chargers from the boxes that had come in stock for the sale!
Old 16th October 2020, 20:37   #30056
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi, whats the non chinese option for the phone that costs between 5-7k ? I need to buy and send it to my parents who would use it for whatsapp video calls?
Old 16th October 2020, 21:00   #30057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Hi, whats the non chinese option for the phone that costs between 5-7k ? I need to buy and send it to my parents who would use it for whatsapp video calls?

Just saw this on Amazon.

Samsung Galaxy M01 Core (Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers https://www.amazon.in/dp/B089MQ622N/..._wXBIFbPGYN5EM
Old 16th October 2020, 21:10   #30058
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Samsung M01. 3 GB ram 32 GB memory is ₹ 8k or lesser, (6k) if you choose the 2 / 32 GB version. I'd suggest at least a 4 / 64 + a SD card, like the M11 @ 12,000.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 16th October 2020 at 21:12.
Old 16th October 2020, 21:49   #30059
BHPian

Has anyone tried playing songs via USB of their android phones on music systems or car infotainment like how you are able to from ipods and iphones?

Just checking cause my home theater and car, both have an ipod usb slot which also plays music from a USB drive. While songs start playing immediately upon connecting to an iphone, it's of no use in an android phone. So checking if anyone knows of any work around as this thread deals with 'mods and apps' as well!
Old 16th October 2020, 21:55   #30060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Samsung M01. 3 GB ram 32 GB memory is ₹ 8k or lesser, (6k) if you choose the 2 / 32 GB version. I'd suggest at least a 4 / 64 + a SD card, like the M11 @ 12,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
Just saw this on Amazon.

Samsung Galaxy M01 Core (Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers https://www.amazon.in/dp/B089MQ622N/..._wXBIFbPGYN5EM

Thank you both, appreciate the help. Just ordered M01 with 3gb and 32 gb option, has also slightly bigger screen. With hdfc debit card cashback, costed me 7199.

Most Viewed