Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 13:00   #31546
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If you are using a Samsung phone with Dex support, I strongly...

Within seconds your Desktop experience is enabled and if you have a Office 365, license, it is as good as working on your desktop / laptop.
I already said so, a year (or more) ago. But people these days want an entertaining video for everything instead of a simple sentence

While I've never bothered about recording conversations, it has come in handy at times. My Truecaller app was set to record by default and every now and then I'd just clear the recordings. Now recording does not work, because Google has forbidden "abuse" of the accessibility features.

So BIG PROBLEM - NO CALL RECORDING.
Does any call recorder work on a Samsung phone with Android 12? Any suggestions? I don't want to root my phone.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:11   #31547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
Facing a major issue with my 8 months old S20FE 5G. The screen has just went blank all of a sudden since today afternoon; never had any fall or physical impact. Phone was lying idle, tried waking it using fingerprint, power button etc and nothing seemed to happen. The phone itself works and rings for calls/notifications, except that the display is completely off (no backlight since this is an AMOLED panel).
UPDATE: Took the phone to the service center. They have checked and concluded that the display panel has conked off. It will be replaced under warranty. They do not have the part in stock and it needs to be ordered, which may take 1-2 days to arrive.

I met a person in the service center whose S20 had developed screen flickering after the April security patch. He said many people have reported this on online forums. I came back and searched and it seems to be true. Attaching some links below:
https://www.phonearena.com/news/gala...s-bug_id139663
https://www.gizguide.com/2022/04/sam...-problems.html
https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsu...een-pink-tint/

I don't know if my case was also due to this.

It has been a decade since I bought my first smartphone, and no device has ever given up on me like this. Disappointed. Hoping that atleast the replacement display lasts the lifetime of the phone. Will update again once I get the phone back.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 9th May 2022 at 13:19.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:51   #31548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I already said so, a year (or more) ago. But people these days want an entertaining video for everything instead of a simple sentence

While I've never bothered about recording conversations, it has come in handy at times. My Truecaller app was set to record by default and every now and then I'd just clear the recordings. Now recording does not work, because Google has forbidden "abuse" of the accessibility features.

Does any call recorder work on a Samsung phone with Android 12? Any suggestions? I don't want to root my phone.
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/m...phone-samsung/
Gives the information on how to record calls on Samsung. I am using it for unsaved numbers.
alexgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:09   #31549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgv View Post
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/m...phone-samsung/
Gives the information on how to record calls on Samsung. I am using it for unsaved numbers.
Oops! Not available on my version of S10+ SM-G9750. I guess a Snapdragon processor and Radio is compensation for the lack of call recording.
Old 9th May 2022, 14:09   #31550
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Do Samsung phones not come with an auto call recording feature? Just search Call Recording in the settings and enable it.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 15:58   #31551
BHPian

Quote:

PROBLEM - NO CALL RECORDING.
Call recording is available on Samsung devices without using any third party app.
But it will only work if you have 'WiFi Calling' disabled.
If you disable 'WiFi calling' from Connections menu, you'll be able to record calls (including automatic call recording).
Hope this helps.
dmplog is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:33   #31552
BHPian

Well this is interesting. I posted about wanting to upgrade from my Oneplus 8 Pro a couple of days ago and asked if I switch to a new phone under Rs 50,000 or fix up my existing phone with a new battery and front panel and I was told to spruce up my 8 Pro and that's what I decided I want to do (that work is still not done, I have exams and I'm probably gonna get it done towards the end of the month).

I went to sleep that day thinking "Man if only Google sold the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro in India, it would be a no brainer upgrade". I will still be sticking to my plan of refurbishing the 8 Pro and use it for another year but I found this interesting

I had some time to kill today before I hit the bed and was going through the Classifieds section on TeamBHP when I found a Pixel 6 128GB for sale with the seller asking 56,000. I chuckled on the inside and out of curiosity typed in "Google Pixel 6" into Amazon and hit enter, expecting just some accessories to pop up. To my surprise the phone was available? What?

Now most of them are over priced and are being sold at sizeable markup compared to the US (see India vs USA price comparison below) but the model I was most interested in, the regular Pixel 6 128GB was on sale for a modest markup.

Google Pixel 6

128GB/8GB

USA - $599 or Rs 46,300
India - Rs 48,800 (Sorta Seafoam/Light Teal) | Rs 49,500 (Kinda Coral/Coral Red) | Rs 50,500 (Stormy Black)

256GB/8GB

USA - $699 or Rs 54,100
India - Rs 66,399 (Stromy Black seems to be the only color in which the Pixel 6 is offered with 256GB of storage)

Google Pixel 6 Pro

128GB/12GB

USA - $899 or Rs 69,600
India - Rs 73,730 (Sorta Sunny/Light Yellow) | Rs 74,700 (Stormy Black)

256GB/12GB

USA - $999 or 77,340
India - Rs 98,900 (Stormy Black)

512/12GB

I did not find this for sale on Amazon India but for reference it's $1,099 in the US or about Rs 85,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pixel-6-128.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pixel-6-pro.png  

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:39   #31553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
...To my surprise the phone was available?...
Grey market imports, sold by an unauthorized reseller. Could be carrier-locked too (depending on where they're importing from). Best avoided.

If you really want one, source an unlocked retail specimen from a country it's officially sold in. You still won't have warranty support but at least guaranteed a functional device out the box.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 01:02   #31554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Grey market imports, sold by an unauthorized reseller. Could be carrier-locked too (depending on where they're importing from). Best avoided.

If you really want one, source an unlocked retail specimen from a country it's officially sold in. You still won't have warranty support but at least guaranteed a functional device out the box.
Yeah I got that, if I have any relatives in the west coming to visit I'll ask them to pickup a Pixel 7 or 7 Pro for me on the way.

Or else I'll probably upgrade to a Xiaomi flagship, I root/jailbreak all my phones so if the Pixel is out of the picture then a Xiaomi flagship is my best bet and I don't have that stigma that most Indians have towards chinese brands like Vivo or Xiaomi especially on the higher end (50,000+).

When upgrading from her OnePlus 6 in December 2021, I forced my mom to get a Vivo X70 Pro Plus as I knew that the OnePlus 9 Pro was a dud, and Samsung and iPhones are not her thing.

She probably cursed me for the first week or so but she grew to love it and with the stigma against premium chinese phones gone I should be in the clear to get a Xiaomi flagship
Old 10th May 2022, 11:48   #31555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
However suddenly the screen on my S10+ has started misbehaving today. The bottom 1cm of the screen has gone completely white and is flickering. Don't think this is a software issue as it happens even when the phone restarts on the splash screen and also when in recovery. Tried restarting multiple times and also wiping the cache partition but no good. Pretty sure the screen needs replacing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I suggest you look at the S21 FE for keeps.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the S20 FE 5G from Amazon during the recent sale, got it for approx 32k after all discounts which wasn't too bad. The S21 FE and S22 series were considerably more expensive and I didn't feel it would be worth it as I only really need this for about 5-6 months. Pretty happy with the S20 FE 5G so far, it does feel like a considerable upgrade over the S10+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambandla View Post
You are not the only one having issues with S10 series display. Looks like there is very high failure rate for these phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
A very common issues with Samsung Flagship phones. I lost my Galaxy s8 and not 9 to this exact issue.
This is interesting. I have never dropped my phone and have taken utmost care with it. Wonder if Samsung will ever accept the screen issues exist and offer at least a decent exchange value if not a screen replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
I met a person in the service center whose S20 had developed screen flickering after the April security patch. He said many people have reported this on online forums. I came back and searched and it seems to be true.
Interesting, again my S10+ had the same issue at around the same time. After googling around it does definitely seem like a software issue causing the hardware to go bad. Over the course of the last few days my screen has gone from one line flickering white to the whole thing losing its colour and flickering. Unacceptable from Samsung. Please let us know how your screen replacement goes (did you lose all data?) as I just recently bought the same phone.
Old 12th May 2022, 07:31   #31556
Oxy
BHPian

Pixel 6a set to launch in India by July end apparently.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:14   #31557
Senior - BHPian

Google’s Pixel 6a is officially coming to India later this year.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-smartselect_20220512111306_twitter.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220512_111927.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220512_111607.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th May 2022 at 11:21.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:45   #31558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
At around the same time they're launching Pixel 7 elsewhere?
Old 12th May 2022, 11:54   #31559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Pixel 6a set to launch in India by July end apparently.
It is launching in July end in 12 markets not including India. It will launch later this year in India as per Google India twitter handle. Since Pixel 4A went on sale from October, my guess is Pixel 6A would also go on sale from October,2022. Would be interesting to see how the legendary Pixel 12MP camera works with the Tensor chip and the Magic Eraser tool. I would trade in my Pixel 3 for this phone when it launches.

Google seriously needs to upgrade their supply and manufacturing chains. Apple prioritizes Indian market and we are among the first few countries in which their products are launched first up. Google is not even keen on launching A series phones here. Would be good if they can launch the Pixel 7 series here though. I know a lot of Pixel users including me wanting to switch to iPhone purely for the updates for many years and availability post launch.

Last edited by whencut86 : 12th May 2022 at 11:56. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:00   #31560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
I like almost everything about the Pixel 6a except that 60hz screen, a high refresh rate screen (90hz or more) is the only modern feature that is a must for me. Everything else in recent times (Battery, screen, camera) has come to the point where I can pickup most modern phones and think "yeah this is completely adequate for me" as long as it has a high refresh rate screen.

Let's hope the 6a sells well so they can justify bringing the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks