Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 08:06   #31471
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually bixby now provides some advanced functionality that can help you save on your battery. You can create routines that get activated for certain tasks. For example you can create a smart routine to keep screen at 60Hz refresh rate when you are watching videos (using YouTube etc) or disable location but enable it only while using certain apps etc. There are YouTube videos to help setup that. It's quite nifty and really works.
Thank you for this. Just this morning some suggestions/tips showed up on the phone to create routines; I will check through and create some of these. The routines (or shortcuts in iOS speak) was very effective in my 12 mini.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:51   #31472
Oxy
BHPian

Walked into a Reliance Digital store yesterday evening to check out the older Samsung flagships. Was offered the S20 FE 5G for 31,500 and the S21+ for 56,500.

The S21 FE costs 46,500 on the Samsung corporate website (the S21+ is unavailable there).

Questions:

Is the S21+ worth this 10k premium over the S21 FE?

Would it be a better idea to settle for the S20 FE 5G or maybe the A73? How is the Motorola Edge 20 Pro?

Am totally confused.

On a side note, I did not want to consider any Chinese brand, but I am told the Xiaomi 11 Lite NE 5G is quite a game changer with it's form factor, and the MIUI on that allows you to uninstall all the junk apps. And it also comes with a next 3 Android version upgrades promise along with 4 years of security updates. At about 18k on Amazon the deal looks irresistible. Anyone here using this particular model?
Old 18th April 2022, 16:00   #31473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Walked into a Reliance Digital store yesterday...
I'd honestly get the A73 or the S20FE 5G for your needs - I just do not trust Samsung's in-house Exynos chipsets. The Qualcomm SOCs on the A73 and S20FE-5G will fare better than the Exynos 2100 on the S21FE, plus you get microSD expansion as well, if that is important to you.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2022 at 16:50. Reason: trimmed quote
bhairavp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:19   #31474
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
I'd honestly get the A73 or the S20FE 5G for your needs - I just do not trust Samsung's in-house Exynos chipsets. The Qualcomm SOCs on the A73 and S20FE-5G will fare better than the Exynos 2100 on the S21FE, plus you get microSD expansion as well, if that is important to you.
Thanks. The A73 makes the most sense but it looks very unreasonably priced for the chipset that it comes with. Not sure if buying S20 FE 5G is a bright idea in 2022 as it has almost reached the end of it's life at the shelves with only one more major Android version upgrade that it is supposed to be getting.

Agree with you about the Exynos SOCs but the latest Snapdragons (read the 888 and the 8 Gen 1) also have a lot of overheating issues apparently. Also I am in love with the looks of the S21+, but the price tag still doesn't feel reasonable for a discontinued model.

Last edited by Oxy : 18th April 2022 at 23:22.
Old 18th April 2022, 23:38   #31475
BHPian

Quote:
Is the S21+ worth this 10k premium over the S21 FE?

Would it be a better idea to settle for the S20 FE 5G or maybe the A73? How is the Motorola Edge 20 Pro?
You are getting s21+ for 56k? That is a good price IMO. IIRC, I had seen the s21 being sold on Amazon at that price recently and the s21+ was for something 75k around.
I would have gone for the s21+. It was a flagship device and has excellent cameras as well. The only downside in comparison to s21fe is that the s21+ will get one less Android version update.
You may either save some cash and go for s20fe or spend some and get the s21+. The s21fe is caught in a no man's land!
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 06:46   #31476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if buying S20 FE 5G is a bright idea in 2022 as it has almost reached the end of it's life at the shelves with only one more major Android version upgrade that it is supposed to be getting.
Contrary to the popular opinion, I would suggest going with the S21 FE 5G. It’s a newer model and I feel it’s closer to the S22 series than the S21 models of last year. My colleague got it the week before and I found it comparable to my S22 (the FE even have a bigger battery).
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 10:34   #31477
BHPian

I am confused between one plus nord ce2 and samsung a33. i need a 3.5mm jack which the Samsung doesn't have.

Would like to avoid the other brands such a vivo,oppo,xiaomi etc.

Can anybody suggest in the range up to 25k.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:25   #31478
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for a good dual port charger - USB and C type. I see a lot of low grade stuff available on Amazon.

Any suggestions please?
Old 21st April 2022, 13:00   #31479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looking for a good dual port charger - USB and C type...
I got this one for use at my desk. It is coincidence that I have a Mi phone. Two USB A outlets. I use A -> C cables.

Mi 18W Dual Port Charger

All I can say is that it does the job!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:18   #31480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I got this one for use at my desk. It is coincidence that I have a Mi phone. Two USB A outlets. I use A -> C cables.

Mi 18W Dual Port Charger

All I can say is that it does the job!
The c-c cable charges faster than a a-c cable... Or atleast that is what i have read. That's why i am looking for a dual port with a c charger as well. I found a samsung which gives 35w for the c and 15w for the a. Will likely get that if no other suggestions pop.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 21:39   #31481
BHPian

Got Android 12 update on the edge 20 more than 6 months after it was officially released. Motorola took its own sweet time but it was worth the wait. It is beautiful and much more cohesive than 11. The Motorola version is supposedly the closest that is to the Pixel, but I get a feeling that it is more like a color muted version of MIUI. The quick settings panel looks and feels better than how it appeared in review videos.

Party over, and back to waiting for the bi-monthly security updates.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2022 at 21:41. Reason: typos
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:17   #31482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I am confused between one plus nord ce2 and samsung a33. i need a 3.5mm jack which the Samsung doesn't have.

Would like to avoid the other brands such a vivo,oppo,xiaomi etc.

Can anybody suggest in the range up to 25k.
Get the Samsung A52S 5G. The previous gen Snapdragon chipset is better than the new gen Exynos chipset. You get SD card with a headphone jack. I saw this retailing in Croma site for 29990 and could get to around 25K with exchange of old phone. Since A53 is already in the market, the existing stocks for A52S are getting sold quickly now.

I got this for my wife recently for 20990 after exchanging her old phone just a couple of days back.
whencut86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 22:45   #31483
BHPian

Guys really need some advice, had a bad day today.

I've been using my Samsung S10+ since launch in 2019. It's been running flawlessly and I was super happy with it. As it's been 3 years was thinking recently of getting the iPhone 14 once it is released later this year.

However suddenly the screen on my S10+ has started misbehaving today. The bottom 1cm of the screen has gone completely white and is flickering. Don't think this is a software issue as it happens even when the phone restarts on the splash screen and also when in recovery. Tried restarting multiple times and also wiping the cache partition but no good. Pretty sure the screen needs replacing.

My phone is still useable for now. I have everything backed up but this is my only phone at the moment and is critical for my business and other very important personal responsibilities. The screen replacement is approx 14k which I don't think is worth it for a 3 year old phone. So I don't know what to do. I just can't imagine using the phone like this for another 6 months till the the iPhone 14 is released and I get that.

So should I buy a another phone which I can sell after a few months to get some money back for when I get the iPhone? If so which one? I can't use any budget brands or phones with bloaty software. Or go the second hand route for an S21/22 or iPhone 11/12 or similar and then exchange for the iPhone 14? If so, from where? I normally keep my phone's for 4-5 years so really need the best but not sure what to do in this interim.

Help please with your suggestions!
Old 29th April 2022, 23:39   #31484
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
So should I buy a another phone which I can sell after a few months to get some money back for when I get the iPhone? If so which one? I can't use any budget brands or phones with bloaty software. Or go the second hand route for an S21/22 or iPhone 11/12 or similar and then exchange for the iPhone 14? If so, from where? I normally keep my phone's for 4-5 years so really need the best but not sure what to do in this interim.
I suggest you look at the S21 FE for keeps. Or a Galaxy A series. But M series if you prefer to replace shortly. A OnePlus Nord 2 / CE2 also can be considered. The Nord in particular can act as a back up phone. I'm still on Galaxy A8+ dating back to 08/2018.

Wife uses an S10 lite, and the Nord 2 5G is used by my son. Plus an M30. The Samsung's are light compared to similar offerings from other brands, and the A and S series are typically faster. Got the Nord for its longer update cycles.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th April 2022 at 09:14. Reason: Typo
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 23:43   #31485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Guys really need some advice, had a bad day today.

I've been using my Samsung S10+ since launch in 2019. It's been running flawlessly and I was super happy with it. As it's been 3 years was thinking recently of getting the iPhone 14 once it is released later this year.
You are not the only one having issues with S10 series display. Looks like there is very high failure rate for these phones. To see which new phone to buy, you can check www.gadgetdetail.com/smartlist

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th April 2022 at 09:14. Reason: Please quote only relevant bits of a long post. Thank you!
ambandla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed