Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2022, 08:55   #31591
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thank you for your reply. I had been using edge 20 pro for a while.

While I agree with you, below are some of the points why I started considering S20/21 FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
- Camera seems to be the best among at this price point.
Camera is good, but if you ignore the MegaPixel, I guess, S20/21 pictures are more usable out of the box. Difficult to beat Samsung on this as of now.

Quote:
- 33W charger can juice up the battery in about an hour.
Agreed, but S20/21 comes with wireless charging which non pro moto lacks.

Quote:
S20 is almost 2 years old and S21 FE is almost double the price. I never wanted to buy Redmi, Oppo, Vivo, Oneplus, etc which can be called chinese stuff and full of bloatware and heavily skinned.
I am not game for Redmi, OnePlus etc either. S20 FE though is an year old ( if not more ), it still has a true flagship SoC. Snapdragon 865 is rated better than 768G+. Rest of the specs remain almost similar to moto. Hence the confusion.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 11:34   #31592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post

While I agree with you, below are some of the points why I started considering S20/21 FE.
Please do keep in mind that the device has a virtual proximity sensor and not an actual one. It has some issues. In addition, you might not be able to use screen guard due to the sensor being virtual.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:49   #31593
BHPian

Hi all, I use an India Google account and have paid subscriptions linked to the account.

I cannot change the country in play store settings to my current location and hence cannot access many region locked apps though I'm outside India.

To my knowledge there is no way to change the country if there are running subscriptions. Is this true? Or is there any possibility of changing?
Old 26th May 2022, 13:30   #31594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

To my knowledge there is no way to change the country if there are running subscriptions. Is this true? Or is there any possibility of changing?
You'll need to change location and currency settings in your payment profile, and the changes are restricted to once per year. Your subscriptions may also not carry over due to availability/pricing differences by country.

Far easier workaround, if you aren't specific about using your primary Google account in a new country, is to setup a secondary account with relevant country details. Android supports multiple Google accounts, so you can just switch as needed on-the-go.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:26   #31595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post

Camera is good, but if you ignore the MegaPixel, I guess, S20/21 pictures are more usable out of the box. Difficult to beat Samsung on this as of now.

Agreed, but S20/21 comes with wireless charging which non pro moto lacks.
The edge 30's biggest (probably only) USPs are its light weight and stock Android. If they are important for you the Motorola has no competition. If not definitely look elsewhere.

BTW, the camera in the 30 has received favourable reviews compared to the 20 despite the lack of telephoto.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 22:20   #31596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Please do keep in mind that the device has a virtual proximity sensor and not an actual one. It has some issues. In addition, you might not be able to use screen guard due to the sensor being virtual.
Ah, this is a no go for me. Thanks a lot for letting me know. A quick search, I could find a long thread of proximity sensor ( or the lack of it ) issues in 20fe. So, will wait for the good old Moto 30. Cheers.
Old 30th May 2022, 13:37   #31597
BHPian

I have the Pixel 5 since April 2021. Worked fine until I shifted to the iPhone 13 mini. The last few months the Pixel 5 seems to be slower than the usual. I did reset the phone few months ago after the major OS 12 update. Stand by battery time hasn't been as good either. As I shifted to iPhone 13 mini, this has been serving as an alternative phone, not sure how it would work out if it's my primary now.

Anyone with Pixel 5 or Snapdragon 765 & 8GB ram going through similar issues?

I want to keep it as this is the last phone with unlimited Google Photos storage in high quality.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:37   #31598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
*snip*
Anyone with Pixel 5 or Snapdragon 765 & 8GB ram going through similar issues?
*snip*
I have Samsung S20 FE (SD 865) and since Android 12 upgrade, battery life has taken a beating. Prior to that I was able to get ~ 24-26 hrs on a full charge with moderate usage. But, after the Android 12 upgrade, battery is draining a lot faster (~16-20 hrs max) Probably, I need to do a reset once to check if this helps. But, any one on S20FE facing similar issue? I have checked the Battery consuming Apps (and Camera light sensor is not the culprit).
Old 30th May 2022, 15:14   #31599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I have Samsung S20 FE (SD 865) and since Android 12 upgrade, battery life has taken a beating. Prior to that I was able to get ~ 24-26 hrs on a full charge with moderate usage. But, after the Android 12 upgrade, battery is draining a lot faster (~16-20 hrs max) Probably, I need to do a reset once to check if this helps. But, any one on S20FE facing similar issue? I have checked the Battery consuming Apps (and Camera light sensor is not the culprit).
For me the last 24hr usage
Phone idle - 20hrs - 52%
Mobile network - 4min - 12%
Wi-Fi - 10min - 6%

Rest are all less than 3%

Clearly idling is eating up a lot of battery on mine.
sweetvar26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 15:15   #31600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
But, any one on S20FE facing similar issue?.
Mine is 7 months old (5G version) and is running on Android 12. I haven't noticed any fall in battery life and the phone continues to last more than a day with my usage. Try resetting it once.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20220530151221_device-care.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 14:29   #31601
BHPian

I bought a Vivo x80 Pro to replace my ageing Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. Samsung flagships are very expensive, and the good reviews for the x80 Pro made the choice easy. There was a discount for HDFC card holders, but somehow the same discount was applied for my Citibank card also.

The phone feels good to hold, and the camera is impressive (especially in low light conditions). The phone felt slightly warm while setting up Whatsapp (transferring 19 GB of data). I haven't observed any other issues.

What is unknown is the quality of service, if I need to go to a service center.
Old 1st June 2022, 20:03   #31602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Was considering the Xiaomi 12 Pro to replace my current Mi 10 5G, but decided to wait for the Vivo X80 Pro which is launching next week. With the X70 Pro + still in the dxomark Top 10, X80 Pro should be better.
Got the Vivo X80 Pro delivered couple of days back. Took a while to restore the data (around 80GB) from Google backup and yes the phone did heat up. Charged it fully and absolutely had no issues with heat buildup later on during normal use.

Battery backup- got 22 hours with 50% remaining, which included 3.25 hours of screen time, 15-20 minutes of music streaming, 30 minutes of calls, 30+ minutes on MS Teams and Whatsapp. 30+ minutes on browser, All the while with 2 SIM cards on, and connected to wifi.

Camera- I know this is the highlight. Night shots (very less lighting) looked really good. 5x optical- tried it out once, but need to explore more.

Network- Better than Mi10. Will check and compare signal levels in detail.

Look and Feel- Very slippery, waiting to get a good cover like the spigen. The one provided by Vivo is really good quality and aesthetic rather than for protection.

Audio Quality- Voice/Video calling is good. Using the Sony XM4's and again my initial observations- 'sounds' great.

The Vivo launcher is really clumsy, so using something different. Funtouch- getting accustomed, not very straight forward but this is something to get used to. There was a ton of bloatware, uninstalled most of them. Did not use the fast charger provided in the box. Wireless charging works fine, so does the reverse charging.

Is it worth 79999/ or in this case 72999/? Well, this is almost 95% of the Samsung S22 Ultra at 35% less. And yes, love the handy IR emitter feature on this X80 pro. Since this is my first Vivo, need to see how this phone holds up.

Last edited by xotiq : 1st June 2022 at 20:12.
xotiq is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 20:19   #31603
BHPian

Samsung users (and may be others too), avoid using UV tempered glass or similar protectors which require you to apply their own liquid glue. The glue can create and get into the gaps between the panels affecting the OEM glue holding the panels. You may face issues like this: https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/.../td-p/14613457.

I have once used UV tempered glass protector, but then moved on to using ones from Gadgetshieldz since a year. I don't know which one of them has caused this, but the back panel of my Galaxy S20+ has just come off and the service center reported the above cause. I did not get any answer when I asked how can anything enter into an IP68 rated mobile.

Even if its under warranty, if water gets into the mobile because of those gaps, your warranty will void.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 09:38   #31604
BHPian

I am looking for an Android phone. This will be for my mother and the budget is around 20-25k. I have shortlisted Oneplus Nord CE2 as one of the options. Anyone using this phone and can help with candid reviews? Also is there any other phone I should consider? Thank you.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 11:11   #31605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I am looking for an Android phone. This will be for my mother and the budget is around 20-25k. I have shortlisted Oneplus Nord CE2 as one of the options. Anyone using this phone and can help with candid reviews? Also is there any other phone I should consider? Thank you.
For this kind of budget, the Samsung A52/53 are also to be considered. Generally Samsung gives a very solid, dependable experience. Phone can last years.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed