Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 13:33   #30841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
S20FE does not have positive reviews at all (on Youtube) hence ever looked at it.
Those might be for the Exynos version.

The 5G one now comes with Snapdragon 865. Its as good as any flagship. FE is Samsung's budget flagship. You should check out the 865 5G version.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 14:51   #30842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Moto Edge 20 priced at 30k, Fusion at 21.5k.
Large screen, light weight, powerful chipset, 3 good cameras, clean Android - the edge 20 has everything I want in a smartphone, except a 3.5mm jack.

The color options are not that great though - the green one looks horrible; would have loved something in black. Still can manage with the silver option.

No launch discounts or card offers is kind of strange. Maybe I'll wait till the Diwali sales - if I can resist the temptation till then.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 14:53   #30843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I realized that apple doesn't even provide a charger now. I will have to buy cables, chargers etc. for home and car. - Expensive phone and add all these to the list. Samsung watch that I have would be rendered useless too.

2. Moreover i11 is over 2 year old. Very hard convince to buy 2 year old phone.
i12 is upwards 75k, don't even want to get into that league.

3. Im still in a fix. All i need is good camera and a big screen. Would spending on iphone even remotely worth it.
Still in a lookout. Samsung M51, Nord2 etc etc. Even if these phones conks like my previous phones, it wouldn't matter.

S20FE does not have positive reviews at all (on Youtube) hence ever looked at it.
1. True that's an issue if moving to the Apple ecosystem

2. True, on both age and price of iPhone12, its a luxury item without a doubt with some technical uniqueness.

3. Updated suggestions since the Moto Edge phones are launched at good prices IMO, not in order, will let you check the details:
M51 is the only 4G phone here but if you want to wait till Diwali to see if Samsung launches something for your needs in higher mid range you should since by then the user experiences for the Moto Edge phones should be out.
Some points, hope it clears your confusion to some extent :
  • If you are looking at 4G then get the M51
  • If you want 5G then get the Moto Edge 20/Fusion based on your preferences.
  • Quick comparison here. (Credits to providers)

PS : just saw the post by civic-sense, Edge 20 Fusion has the 3.5mm jack and the larger 5000mAh battery

Last edited by shancz : 17th August 2021 at 14:56. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:41   #30844
BHPian

Quote:
Still in a lookout. Samsung M51, Nord2 etc etc. Even if these phones conks like my previous phones, it wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Those might be for the Exynos version.

The 5G one now comes with Snapdragon 865. Its as good as any flagship. FE is Samsung's budget flagship. You should check out the 865 5G version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
M51 is the only 4G phone here but if you want to wait till Diwali to see if Samsung launches something for your needs in higher mid range you should since by then the user experiences for the Moto Edge phones should be out.
Some points, hope it clears your confusion to some extent : [list][*]If you are looking at 4G then get the M51[*]If you want 5G then get the Moto Edge
The revamped S20 FE is a good bet for that budget. Also, instead of the M51, would recommend the F62 instead.

IMHO, we are still a long way off from 5G. Guess that should be a non-issue in your buying preference.

Spending in the 30-40k range should be enough to get as close to a pure flagship experience, as one can.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:43   #30845
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Large screen, light weight, powerful chipset, 3 good cameras, clean Android - the edge 20 has everything I want in a smartphone, except a 3.5mm jack.

The color options are not that great though - the green one looks horrible; would have loved something in black. Still can manage with the silver option.

No launch discounts or card offers is kind of strange. Maybe I'll wait till the Diwali sales - if I can resist the temptation till then.
I think I can live without the jack, my current Oppo Reno 10x Zoom doesn't have one either so it's absence won't be felt that much. However, some other negatives are:

1. Small battery as a result of being a slim and lightweight phone.

2. Only 2 years of security updates promised.

3. No stereo speakers.

I am on the fence with this. Waiting further might not make much sense as I don't see any other phone in the pipeline which is as slim and lightweight (this is the most important feature that I am looking for in the phone).

The news of Samsung A52S to come with the exact same chipset (SD778G) by the end of this month is doing rounds so it might make some sense to wait for that as well. Is there any chance of the Pixel 5A landing on Indian shores at all?

PS: The Fusion would make better sense to many because - 1. Comes in black colour, 2. Has the headphone jack, 3. Has FM Radio, 4. Bigger battery. Would be 23g heavier in comparison to the 20 though.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th August 2021 at 15:54.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:11   #30846
BHPian

Quote:
PS: The Fusion would make better sense to many because - 1. Comes in black colour, 2. Has the headphone jack, 3. Has FM Radio, 4. Bigger battery. Would be 23g heavier in comparison to the 20 though.
Fusion got Mediatek processor so a big no. Moto G 5G is better choice over Edge Fusion despite being an older model if considering sub 20K phone.

About the OS updates, Motorola already clarified that that they will provide 2 years of 'major' Android OS updates. Here is screenshot from their Flipkart marketing page about assured Android 12 and 13 upgrades:-

Name:  Screenshot_20210817_161819.png
Views: 389
Size:  22.3 KB
Source

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th August 2021 at 16:21.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:20   #30847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
would recommend the F62 instead.

IMHO, we are still a long way off from 5G. Guess that should be a non-issue in your buying preference.
F62 is similar to M51 except that it uses the Exynos 98xx over the SD732G on the M51 and dearer by 1k on Amazon. Personally I would take the SD chipset but that's a personal choice.

True on 5G have heard Jio launching 5G around September probably with their Jio Phone Next but let's see.

Quote:
The news of Samsung A52S to come with the exact same chipset (SD778G) by the end of this month is doing rounds so it might make some sense to wait for that as well.

Is there any chance of the Pixel 5A landing on Indian shores at all?
They should but it will be 30k+ knowing Samsung but not counting on it before Diwali.

Pixel 5a, if they had to launch they would've, they don't seem very keen here.
Old 17th August 2021, 17:03   #30848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
F62 is similar to M51 except that it uses the Exynos 98xx over the SD732G on the M51 and dearer by 1k on Amazon. Personally I would take the SD chipset but that's a personal choice.
Isn't Exynos 9825 (7 nm)newer/better than Qualcomm SDM730 Snapdragon 730G (8 nm) {M51}?
Old 17th August 2021, 19:19   #30849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't Exynos 9825 (7 nm)newer/better than Qualcomm SDM730 Snapdragon 730G (8 nm) {M51}?
You are right the 9825 is a much newer and better processor but I haven't looked into it much. All I can recall is there were some issues with thermal throttling courtesy some Youtube videos but didn't research further.

In my usage I have found the SD phones(Moto X2, Pixel 2, Mi A3) to be more stable in performance while the Exynos varies quite a lot (S3/4/5, M30s) based on load(possibly related to temperature/throttling). But all this is from observations since I didn't research further on it.
But if I have to buy a phone again I would get the SD.
That's why I said personal choice
Old 17th August 2021, 19:52   #30850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can't really compare nm tech like that. Its not standardized. This number means nothing nowdays. Samsung nm is way different from TSMC nm. Even their transistors would be different.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:02   #30851
BHPian

Quote:
Moto Edge 20 priced at 30k, Fusion at 21.5k.
Moto edge series actually has 3 phones - Edge 20 Pro, Edge 20 and Edge 20 lite. In India Pro has not been launched and I had assumed pro and lite are being launched.

Good prices @ launch and 2 major android updates is good. May be a couple of months down the line with discounts and cashback offers the deals will be sweeter. If the cameras are as good as 60-70% of Pixel 4a this would be a good buy.

Hence I assumed the rate would be closer to 40 K. The Pro has SD 870 and 144 hz refresh rate with support for HDR10+ as well as HDR, 12 GB RAM, 256 GB ROM and a bigger battery to boot.

If not 4a still makes more sense and with cash back and exchange can still be had around 24 K.

Any chance of 5a getting launched in India? Not very clear from the below news articles.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...-2021-7455869/

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85365382.cms

Last edited by nibedk : 17th August 2021 at 21:16. Reason: Correction
Old 17th August 2021, 21:10   #30852
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Moto edge series actually has 3 phones - Edge 20 Pro, Edge 20 and Edge 20 lite. In India Pro has not been launched and I had assumed pro and lite are being launched.
It's interesting that the Edge 20 Lite has the Dimensity 720 chipset in the European markets but here the equivalent model (Fusion) has been upgraded to the Dimensity 800U. Never seen any manufacturer actually upgrading a phone for India.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:07   #30853
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Fusion got Mediatek processor so a big no.

Source
Just curious. Why do you think so? Unlike the older Mediatek processor, Dimensity series are very good.
Old 21st August 2021, 08:47   #30854
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Some Youtubers who do phone reviews have started this scheme, where they take money from you and buy the phone, keep it with them for 10-12 days and review it in that time, and then deliver it back to you. In return they offer you a Rs 3000 discount (over and above any card offers).

I have ordered the Edge 20 like this with one of them. If you are interested then check community posts of Youtubers like Geek Abhishek, Harshit Technical or Madan Gaikwad. I personally feel if it suits both parties, it's a win-win situation.

Disclaimer: Buy at your own risk.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 11:20   #30855

Hi all,

I moved on from my OnePlus 7 as the android 11 update was way too buggy to handle. I got M51, 8 gb ram version around a month back for the time being. And I'm surprised to say that the experience has been fantastic. Samsung has done a great with the software, it is SMOOTH. Yes I set up the phone carefully and till now not a single ad has popped up. Surprised to see a mid ranger chipset performing brilliantly as compared to a flagship that I had earlier. Shows how a good and thoroughly tested software can make a difference. I think OnePlus is going downhill now. Sad to see a company that was known for it's software is now biting it's foot off.
sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks