Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 16:37   #30706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

To me updates are a gimmick, 99.99% of the functions of Android are consistent since the KitKat days, that's all I'll ever need.
Sorry for the selective quote, but why would you say updates are a gimmick? Wouldn't regular security updates be a necessity in this day and age? Asking since LG (what i use) does not seem to believe it is necessary
Old 19th July 2021, 18:04   #30707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sorry for the selective quote, but why would you say updates are a gimmick? Wouldn't regular security updates be a necessity in this day and age? Asking since LG (what i use) does not seem to believe it is necessary
You have nothing to worry about, Android any variant is a goldmine of data harvesting, it is a trojan OS by itself, most techies will argue with me on so called security "patches" but the fact is that my XZ still runs on Android 8, no issues so far.

And again, my argument is that we can't buy inferior brands just because of better support or better updates, I still proudly run Win 7 as well, dare I say much better than that bloated Win 10.

That having been said, my needs are mostly basic, YouTube, mails, some articles and some messaging once a week and I'm done, all Androids have helped me do them all, only that later versions of Android/YouTube are getting increasingly draconian and rule intensive. Old is gold as far as software is concerned.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:50   #30708
BHPian

Quote:
You have nothing to worry about, Android any variant is a goldmine of data harvesting, it is a trojan OS by itself, most techies will argue with me on so called security "patches" but the fact is that my XZ still runs on Android 8, no issues so far.
I have an entirely off-topic query for you, how did you get hold of your current Xperia?
I had used the Xperia Arc, Z1 compact and would love to get the Xperia 1 mkIII or even the Pro. However, the Sony mobile division is long gone from India, and with the Covid restrictions in place, it's difficult to import one too.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 10:51   #30709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
I have an entirely off-topic query for you, how did you get hold of your current Xperia?
There are people who cater to Xperia fans's needs in Bangalore/Pune/Mumbai/Chennai etc, they know people who can buy limited pieces of flagship models.

You may have to wait a year or so for 1 iii, but maybe 1 ii or 5ii will keep coming in, not sure of Xperia Pro, even if it comes expect a wallet busting price of 2 lakhs for that one. Will let you know by PM if available.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:48   #30710
BHPian

Quote:

And again, my argument is that we can't buy inferior brands just because of better support or better updates, I still proudly run Win 7 as well, dare I say much better than that bloated Win 10.

That having been said, my needs are mostly basic, YouTube, mails, some articles and some messaging once a week and I'm done, all Androids have helped me do them all, only that later versions of Android/YouTube are getting increasingly draconian and rule intensive. Old is gold as far as software is concerned.
Smartphone aficionados would definitely not be able to live with 1 year of updates. And although I understand that your requirements are basic that could be met with a simple phone, what I don't understand is why pay a premium when all you get in return is a phone with no software updates, an outdated processor etc. If all these don't matter, save the cash and get a Micromax.

Anyway my takeaway from Sony's new update policy is that they are going to shut shop soon. Well, anyway they are almost dead, right? How long can the go on burning all the money its other businesses generate?
Old 20th July 2021, 22:02   #30711
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Pixel 5a is in the works and might come to India around September. Its rumoured to have 6.2" display, better processor, better camera than 4a and small bump in price. It can be worth the wait.
Are you really sure about this? The last I heard was that it's only going to be available in the US and Japan.
Old 20th July 2021, 22:20   #30712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Are you really sure about this? The last I heard was that it's only going to be available in the US and Japan.
That was the "might" part , as some sites are saying it won't be launched in India due to chip shortage, and some claiming it will be delayed like Pixel 4a. Guess we will have to wait and watch!
Old 21st July 2021, 13:11   #30713
One
BHPian

Quote:
people have an extreme bias against Sony and incredible bias for Samsung though in quality, both are polar opposites, Samsung being vastly inferior i.e., the Samsung feels like a plastic hollow case while Sonys feel like a granite slab, only owners will know this, the rest will read tech specs and buy the lesser brands.
I don't know about bias against Sony but I have seen the drastic drop in quality for Sony phones. I will keep the flagships aside as I haven't used them.

I was a Sony fan long back, in the Symbian days, I have used both W series and K series which were supposed to denote something of a feature being superior. My experience on the other hand:
  • W series was supposed to be a Walkman phone with superior sound. Sound quality degraded drastically within a year whereas other phones from Nokia were still at par.
  • K camera phone, quality of photos not superior despite being their flagship
  • ZR waterproof phone where screen stopped working due to water droplets on screen (water didn't enter the screen). The service center guys said common issue.
  • The worst of the lot, XA1 where the screen failed 3 times within a year. The best part, each time it failed in a new phone which was given as a replacement. Later got to know it is a common issue. After the third time, the warranty period was over so they refused to repair/ replace it under warranty.

I always had parallel experience with similar price point phones from Nokia, Samsung as my second phone. They slowed down over time but never gave issues in basic functioning. My brother too used Sony before he dropped them due to quality reasons. Even if I exclude by brother, I have used 7 Sony phones in 11 years and when I compared them with what was available in the market, I realised that the solid feel can only go so far for me.

Haven't used the flagships (barring W and K years back), but in the models, the amount of issues faced was not less. Yes, they look more solid, but they were not necessarily good.

I still used to follow what Sony was upto till a couple of years back, but at some point of time, had to realise that others had moved ahead in quality control (I remember a Triniton being bullet proof but had a bad experience with their Flat TV later).

It is good to know there are Sony users in India, the number of companies today in Android are basically Samsung and then all others Chinese brands.
Old 21st July 2021, 16:22   #30714
BHPian

Team, my wife is looking for an Android phone with below requirements in the order of preference:
She is not mobile savvy and likes to retain her phone till it's dead. Her current Lenovo K6 Power is 3+ years old and is on its last legs.

1) Budget - Max 20,000
2) Reliable - Plan to use min.3 years.
3) Excellent camera both front and back for the price.
4) Not a heavy user, no games. Only regular browsing, Gmail, social media and shopping apps, YouTube.
5) Break proof, butterfinger proof - no glass body if possible.
6) Water proof not must.

Thanks in advance.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:35   #30715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Team, my wife is looking for an Android phone with below requirements in the order of preference:

1) Budget - Max 20,000
4) Not a heavy user, no games. Only regular browsing, Gmail, social media and shopping apps, YouTube.
6) Water proof not must.
If you can stretch your budget a little bit, the One Plus Nord is a worry-free device. Also, the Samsung F62, which was recently launched is quite good for moderate usage as per mentioned in your requirement. It's a little bit on the heavier side, but the weight is well-distributed and it won't be as obvious in the hand. Also, the battery is quite superb. Samsung AMOLED screens are really a class apart. Got the F62 for my Mom a couple of months back and she's loving it. There are other Chinese brands like Xiaomi, Realme with good offerings in the below 20k segment. But again, no reliability and screens are underwhelming. Since you mentioned that your wife likes to retain her phone for a longer time, Samsung is your best bet.
P.s. Please do not go for the Samsung M-series devices, because they are the king of lags and freeze intermittently!

Last edited by IamNikhil : 21st July 2021 at 16:36. Reason: Spelling mistake corrected
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:36   #30716

Quote:
Team, my wife is looking for an Android phone.
Hi, you can check out the Samsung F62. The battery life is amazing and additionally you will get a plastic back. (satisfying the requirement's)
My only apprehension is whether the camera quality would cut the ice for you.
Coming the price, it's around 23,999 but with a sale coming up next week on flipkart you would easily be able to snap it below 20000.
Old 21st July 2021, 17:46   #30717
One
BHPian

Quote:
She is not mobile savvy and likes to retain her phone till it's dead. Her current Lenovo K6 Power is 3+ years old and is on its last legs.

1) Budget - Max 20,000
Don't have much idea about the Chinese brands but in Samsung, any M series or Flipkart branded F series in your budget will do.

The thumb rule is is that the more you pay within the series, the better it will be in the 2-4th years i.e the difference between them will be more visible in subsequent years as compared to the first year.

Another thing which typically helps extend performance of these devices is to not upgrade the OS with updates as far as possible.
Old 21st July 2021, 18:18   #30718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi2700 View Post
Hi, you can check out the Samsung F62. The battery life is amazing and additionally you will get a plastic back. (satisfying the requirement's)
My only apprehension is whether the camera quality would cut the ice for you.
Coming the price, it's around 23,999 but with a sale coming up next week on flipkart you would easily be able to snap it below 20000.
I am using F62 since its launch. Camera quality is very good. Battery is phenomenal. Performance is top class. Once anyone uses the Super Amoled screen they simply can't go for anything else. I am fully satisfied and the only con I can mention is it's a little heavier than my previous Samsung A50 phone. Variant I have is 8gb ram and 128gb storage. It's for 25,999 but as you said sale is coming up. I will strongly suggest to go for this variant and not 6gb 64gb as price difference is couple of thousand but performance difference will be felt.

PS: just checked and it has a 2500 discount running on Icici cards right now.

Last edited by harry10 : 21st July 2021 at 18:23.
Old 21st July 2021, 18:33   #30719
BHPian

Quote:

1) Budget - Max 20,000
6) Water proof not must.

Thanks in advance.
Check for deals, last year I have got Samsung S9 Plus at 29K. If you get any S-Series or Note Series then go far.I am still using S8 Plus since 2017 and pretty happy.Phone screen got damaged( thanks to my son) but still working fine. As a backup I have got S9Plus as deal was too good.Now that is being used by my wife as her iPhone screen is shattered(thanks to my son).

Note from Moderator : You must use spaces after punctuation marks. Please take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette), especially point 2.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2021 at 18:45. Reason: Please see the note in post.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:41   #30720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
PS: just checked and it has a 2500 discount running on Icici cards right now.
Rs.3500 discount on Flipkart with ICICI Debit cards (not credit cards).

Rs.1000 for any CC/DC and additional 2500 for ICICI DC.

It is very tempting offer I must say.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-802.png  

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 21st July 2021 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks