Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 23:19   #30751
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I use a Pixel 2 XL and have been very happy with the phone. Off late the battery was dying way too soon in the day. If I remove from charger by 8am, by 2pm it would be low battery.

I have to send the phone for repair but need a spare as the Pixel is now old and don't know when it will die on me.

I'm really trying hard not to jump ship to Apple even though my spare backup phone for emergencies is an iPhone 7. The iOS restrictions and the google synergy is something I prefer.

SO I was souring the sites for a decent android to either replace my Pixel sub 50K or to use as secondary to pixel just for work related apps like teams, outlook, whatapp work. I basically couldn't find a single Android phone with:

1. Stock android or close
2. wireless charging
3. IP rating
4. Good camera like Pixel.
5. Under 50K or max 60K if really good.

Finally I decided to get the Nord CE 5G to use as a secondary phone namely cause it has wifi calling, VoLTE and good battery life. It can't replace Pixel.

I will use Pixel once back from repair as camera and main phone and Nord as secondary.

Will wait for iPhone 13 and then see if I should just jump ship.

I pray google gets the Pixel 6 to India. Things are not looking good for Android fans.

OnePlus is using ColorOS more and more and moving away from Android. The Nord 2 basically has ColorOS with OxygenOS skin on it. Everything asks for permission to send data to Shenzen Oneplus.

Samsung OneUI continues with duplicate samsung apps and their own addons.

Motorola has a mix of budget and mid phones which are horrible design and massive size wise. Even though they run stock android the hardware specs are a huge compromise.

Even the Nord CE was more of last resort but for the price I was ok with the compromise.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st August 2021 at 23:24.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 23:26   #30752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... Even the Nord CE was more of last resort but for the price I was ok with the compromise.
The Nord CE is a much better device than the Nord 2. Good choice. In the current range of available options in that price bracket, good you didn't opt for a Samsung, considering the old-world processors Samsung still employs. Wish OnePlus remained true to it's original flavour and appeal, instead of moving into the Color OS space like it's parent company.
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:08   #30753
BHPian

Hi all,
Need to replace my father's iPhone 6. He uses this phone mainly for calls and messages so I'm looking for a good mid-ranger in the 10k to 15k price range. Any suggestions from recent launches? (Preferably looking for something that would last him as long his current iPhone has).
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:45   #30754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Need to replace my father's iPhone 6. He uses this phone mainly for calls and messages so I'm looking for a good mid-ranger in the 10k to 15k price range. (Preferably looking for something that would last him as long his current iPhone has).
After using an iPhone would your Father be comfortable using an Android phone?

No 10-15k Android phone would probably please your Father in the usability and smoothness department. Don’t think any 10 to 15k Android phone would last as long as his iPhone 6 either.

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:07   #30755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hi all,
Need to replace my father's iPhone 6. He uses this phone mainly for calls and messages so I'm looking for a good mid-ranger in the 10k to 15k price range. Any suggestions from recent launches? (Preferably looking for something that would last him as long his current iPhone has).
Was in the same boat till last week. Dad's iPhone 6 was still fast but the limited storage was presenting difficulties. After some searching, bought the Samsung F62.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy.../dp/B0915T3F54

Got it for 15K, after discounts and exchange. The other one I shortlisted was the Samsung M42 (5G). Even though the M42 has 5G, I chose the F62 for its vastly superior processor (Exynos 9825 vs SD750G on the M42). Samsung chipset along with the One UI, hopefully it wont slow down much in the long run (dad holds onto phones for a really long time).
GeneralJazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:09   #30756
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Motorola has a mix of budget and mid phones which are horrible design and massive size wise. Even though they run stock android the hardware specs are a huge compromise.

Even the Nord CE was more of last resort but for the price I was ok with the compromise.
You could have waited for the Motorola Edge 20. But anyhow, the Nord CE should not be bad as a secondary phone.

I don't think we are going to get the Pixel 6 in India. Even the Pixel 5A is not coming here most probably.

Last edited by Oxy : 2nd August 2021 at 15:10.
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:11   #30757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
You could have waited for the Motorola Edge 20. But anyhow, the Nord CE should not be bad as a secondary phone.

I don't think we are going to get the Pixel 6 in India. Even the Pixel 5A is not coming here most probably.
Yes but will that come for less than 30K? I think the price is going to be around 30-32K and will still some of the requirements I have like IP rating and wireless charging.
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:13   #30758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
...After some searching, bought the Samsung F62.

Got it for 15K, after discounts and exchange. The other one I shortlisted was the Samsung M42 (5G). Even though the M42 has 5G, I chose the F62 for its vastly superior processor (Exynos 9825 vs SD750G on the M42). Samsung chipset along with the One UI, hopefully it wont slow down much in the long run (dad holds onto phones for a really long time).
Bought the F62 for my Mom when it launched and she's very happy with the device. No complaints as yet. She also retains her phones for a long time and hence this seemed a strong bet. Got the M31s for my Dad, and that is a disaster...lagging, freezing, hanging, overheating even with basic phone calls, etc! Tried every trick in the book, but to no avail. Since it's still under warranty, will try the service centre, frankly don't have much hopes from them either; considering there are many online forums wherein M-series phones are being flogged due to same issues! Alternatively, will have to sell it and get another device, which will be the F62 only, since the experience is good.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:16   #30759
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Bought the F62 for my Mom when it launched and she's very happy with the device. No complaints as yet. She also retains her phones for a long time and hence this seemed a strong bet.
I am looking for a phone for my mother as well, but I think the F62 has quite some negatives, a few of them being deal breakers:

1. Senior citizen unfriendly form factor (heavy).
2. Low network reception in not so well covered areas.
3. Carrier aggregation missing so slow 4G speeds.
4. Flimsy back panel prone to scratches.

I am surprised your mom is not having these issues. Would you recommend this phone for a 70 plus year old lady?
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:40   #30760
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a phone for my mother as well, but I think the F62 has quite some negatives, a few of them being deal breakers:

I am surprised your mom is not having these issues. Would you recommend this phone for a 70 plus year old lady?
Haven't encountered any issue with the network at all. My Mom uses dual sim cards: Jio and Airtel, network reception + data in both slots is good. No call drops either. Also, while at home the VoWifi feature is a real boon too. A nice snug back cover and a tempered glass protects the phone very well. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it in your case is because of the age factor you mentioned; the phone is huge (weight is evenly distributed, but still a little heavy than most other phones). I think you can consider the One Plus Nord CE or Samsung A52 in the same range as alternates. Or if you want something at a lesser price, the Samsung F22 is also a good offering. However, if you are okay with Xiaomi, Realme etc, then the options are endless.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:31   #30761
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The only reason I wouldn't recommend it in your case is because of the age factor you mentioned; the phone is huge (weight is evenly distributed, but still a little heavy than most other phones). I think you can consider the One Plus Nord CE or Samsung A52 in the same range as alternates. Or if you want something at a lesser price, the Samsung F22 is also a good offering. However, if you are okay with Xiaomi, Realme etc, then the options are endless.
Thanks a ton.

Xiaomi and Realme are not an option because she is currently using a Redmi Note 3 and is tired of the endless bloatware.

Will research a bit on the options you have suggested. Thanks once again for the prompt help.
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:36   #30762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am using F62.
Even i am not facing any of these issues.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:37   #30763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am using F62 since launch and don't have any of these issues. Yes, the weight and probably screen size can be a concern for senior citizens. I will suggest to go with A52 which is much lighter and a bit smaller with very good feature list too.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:23   #30764
BHPian

Quote:

Using F62 since 2 weeks now.

1. For a senior citizen, it is a heavy phone. As suggested by many, look at the A52 or even A32.
2. Havent observed such an occurance. In one of my room, the network is poor however was able to have telephonic discussions without any drops.
3. From where do you make such points?
4. Even I had the same grouse, however add a good cover and thats taken care of.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:39   #30765
Oxy
BHPian

Thanks everyone. The Samsung A52 seems to have been discontinued though, it's not available on the Samsung website atleast. Same is the case with the S20 FE 5G.

So it appears that their successors are going to hit the markets soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks