Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 13:14   #30646
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi all,

My OnePlus 7 Pro front camera has stopped working. The camera pops out, but only black screen is displayed and the camera app just hangs after that. I have killed all apps, cleared the camera cache, and did a restart. But the issue still persists.

Any idea on how to fix this? I am on Android 11.

Thanks.
Old 5th July 2021, 16:52   #30647
BHPian

I was running low on space on my OnePlus 7T 128GB. Most of the memory was taken by pictures & videos. I bought the Google one storage of 100GB for a year and backed up necessary folder through Google Photos app.

Now that the photos are in the cloud (I can access them through my laptop as well), I can free up the space in my phone. There is a 'Free Up Space' option in the app but it has become unresponsive. Whenever I click the option, nothing happens. I now have to manually delete the images on my device through explorer or some other photo app. This completely defeats the purpose of cloud storage.

Internet is filled with the same issue being reported by many users. Any pointers on how I can make the feature work ?

Cheers,
Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:45   #30648
BHPian

Is there a big difference (in real life) between:

1. FHD+ & HD+
2. 720 x 1600 Pixels vs 2400 x 1080 Pixels
3. 274 ppi vs 411 ppi

Basically looking for a budget phone and seeing the probability of getting the new Samsung A22 vs Samsung A32.
Old 6th July 2021, 00:04   #30649
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

1. FHD+ & HD+
3. 274 ppi vs 411 ppi

Basically looking for a budget phone and seeing the probability of getting the new Samsung A22 vs Samsung A32.
In my opinion, the shift in resolution from HD to FHD is definitely noticeable. I used the Note 2 for 7 years() before upgrading to the Note 10+ and the difference is definitely noticeable.

Though beyond FHD, it is very difficult if not impossible to perceive the difference.

You may also check out the recently launched M32.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 00:31   #30650

Quote:

1. FHD+ & HD+
3. 274 ppi vs 411 ppi

HD+ is not bad. Someone who is used to HD+ won't have any complain.
But once you shift to FHD+, you will surely feel the difference. You will feel that there is something special about this. Now if you shift back to HD+, you won't feel that it is bad but just that FHD+ is better.

If you are looking for budget smartphones, I won't suggest Samsung smartphones other than the M51. The chipset of A32 and A22 is not acceptable at such a price.
In budget category, I would suggest
Redmi-If you are fine with MIUI
Realme - Has a stock Android feel and is better than MIUI.
Motorola-For Stock Android.

Samsung phones make sense at more premium level considering things like Camera quality and Screen quality. Exceptions are M51 (or maybe even M42 if you are O.K with some serious cost cutting like HD+ screen.)
The21st is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 06:25   #30651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The21st View Post
HD+ is not bad. Someone who is used to HD+ won't have any complain.

If you are looking for budget smartphones, I won't suggest Samsung smartphones other than the M51. The chipset of A32 and A22 is not acceptable at such a price.
In budget category, I would suggest
Redmi-If you are fine with MIUI
Realme - Has a stock Android feel and is better than MIUI.
Motorola-For Stock Android.

Samsung phones make sense at more premium level considering things like Camera quality and Screen quality. Exceptions are M51 (or maybe even M42 if you are O.K with some serious cost cutting like HD+ screen.)
A22 and A32 have Helio G80 processor which is known for optimization while gaming. Agreed that atleast for A32 they should have provided minimum Helios H90. With which SD is the Helios G80 comparable to? I am not fond of the aesthetics of M & F series. They have good specifications for the price however look like their Chinese counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I used the Note 2 for 7 years() before upgrading to the Note 10+ and the difference is definitely noticeable.
Using a same phone for 7 years is unheard of. May be you kept it with a sentimental value and then had another been used simultaneously. Kudos to you for 7 years of ownership, mine are yet to cross 24 months in every purchase.
Anyone has a link where it mentiones the comparable chipsets of Snapdragon vs Mediatek vs Exynnos?

Last edited by VWAllstar : 6th July 2021 at 06:27.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:00   #30652

Quote:
A22 and A32 have Helio G80 processor which is known for optimization while gaming. Agreed that atleast for A32 they should have provided minimum Helios H90. With which SD is the Helios G80 comparable to? I am not fond of the aesthetics of M & F series. They have good specifications for the price however look like their Chinese counterparts.
The issue is not with Helio G80 processor. It is a good processor for the price.
Realme Narzo 30A with a slightly(very slightly) better G85 processor is available for 8.5k! and we have Samsung A32 for more than 20k.
Or the better G95 processor Realme Narzo 30 is available for 12.5k.
The Snapdragon 720 etc which is comparable to G95 is also available for less than 15k.
Samsung can't ask such premium in this very competitive budget range of smartphones. So they introduced M series which is a success too.
A32 is having a water drop notch. M51 with better Snapdragon processor, bigger battery, and punch hole display is better according to me.

How about a T-Roc with same price but with 1L MPI engine.
The21st is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 15:21   #30653
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Using a same phone for 7 years is unheard of. May be you kept it with a sentimental value and then had another been used simultaneously. Kudos to you for 7 years of ownership, mine are yet to cross 24 months in every purchase.
Anyone has a link where it mentiones the comparable chipsets of Snapdragon vs Mediatek vs Exynnos?
I was using the Jiophone 1 for the last 1 year exclusively for calls(4g support ).

I believe in going for the best phone(according to me) available out there and use it for as long as I can. 4 years minimum.

The closest Snapdragon equivalent would be the 662.

I do agree though with what the other member has said about the M series vs A series at least in the sub 20k segment.

The A series is like a T-Roc with a 1.0 MPI whereas the equivalent priced M series is like a Taigun with a 1.0 TSI.

I know what I'd go for. But of course, it ultimately comes down to the individual choice.

Last edited by AYP : 6th July 2021 at 15:32.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:33   #30654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

I believe in going for the best phone(according to me) available out there and use it for as long as I can. 4 years minimum.
I have only one problem with that approach. The first two years, it would be of flagship quality, the next two it would be equivalent to a midrange, the next two it would be a low end phone. In the seventh, the phone would be a rag.

For me, I get bored after a year; second year is a stretch; and third year I'd be miserable.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:56   #30655
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I have only one problem with that approach. The first two years, it would be of flagship quality, the next two it would be equivalent to a midrange, the next two it would be a low end phone. In the seventh, the phone would be a rag.

For me, I get bored after a year; second year is a stretch; and third year I'd be miserable.

Different strokes for different fokes.

At least I would be owning a flagship rather than never having the experience of owning one.

This is how I generally function. One jeans for 5k is preferred over 2 worth 2.5k. One shoe worth 10k is preferred over 2 shoes worth 5k. I may use the more expensive shoe for an extra year.

By the way, I do agree that 7 years was a drag. When I got ready to buy a new phone, I didn't wanna settle for the Note 9 since it was only a nominal upgrade over the Note 8, especially in terms of design. Hence decided to wait an additional year and got myself a design/form factor which is still continuing to this date and shall continue for at least 2 more years if not more.

Of course, the approach may vary on case to case basis.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:57   #30656
BHPian

Quote:
I have used Samsung Galaxy S Duos for 7 years and it's still in use as a second phone at home. This November it will turn 9 years old! It's tough like a Nokia 3310, has fallen multiple times and exept the plastic back cover, nothing has been replaced. But it became obsolete a long way back and the battery life is miserable.
Old 6th July 2021, 20:14   #30657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
But it would be the same phone! And if you were happy with the flagship, you could be happy with the rag. I'd probably still be happy with the Motorola X-something that I had and lost a couple of years ago! Travelling abroad two days later, I had to just get something from the local shop (and chase around getting SIMs replaced) and got an oppo thing I hated and soon replaced with a Mi A1. I'm not that keen on the Mi, but replacing it is not a priority on the spending list. Really, getting through three phones in three years is not my thing.

(I gave away the oppo, to a youngster who was delighted and grateful to have any smartphone )

NB: Not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money! If a new phone is their pleasure, may they have one often! I've spent more than 1.5 Lakh this year on... camera lenses. Each to their own.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th July 2021 at 20:16.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 23:35   #30658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The21st View Post
The Snapdragon 720 etc which is comparable to G95 is also available for less than 15k. Samsung can't ask such premium in this very competitive budget range of smartphones.
Samsung has the 'SD720' on A52(4G), one of their popular models in the recent past, which sells for around INR 28K.

So, Is it ONLY about the processor OR is it about the overall package(OIS, AMOLED screen, Stereo Speakers, IP67)?
Old 7th July 2021, 00:29   #30659

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Samsung has the 'SD720' on A52(4G), one of their popular models in the recent past, which sells for around INR 28K.

So, Is it ONLY about the processor OR is it about the overall package(OIS, AMOLED screen, Stereo Speakers, IP67)?
Snapdragon 720G is available in 14k Poco M2 Pro (You can get one for less than 13k in those special sales) having a LCD screen.
A year ago Realme 7 pro was introduced with SD 720 and AMOLED at 20k.(People paid extra for Amoled. 90 Hz refresh rate was still available only on Oneplus Nord at 25k)
Then Samsung M51 was introduced at 23k (Available for 21k and lesser usually) which is competitive considering the brand, extra battery and better camera. Still a good device if you want Samsung.

This year phones get even cheaper with 120Hz AMOLED Redmi Note 10 Pro at 17k!!! and with Snapdragon 732.
At 30k you have flagship SD 870 Mi 11x which was available at 26.5k.
At 32k a better Iqoo 7 with SD 870 and OIS which was available for 30k.

And now we have Samsung A52 with SD 720G at 28k. It is a premium device at a very competitive price gap. But people getting an S21 Ultra will still find value in this phone, maybe as a secondary phone. But people looking for Flagship killers won't even look at this. Samsung is not stupid, they have M series and S20 FE which is competitive to cater to those who need absolute value and A series to get more profits. I don't have knowledge on which camera is better comparing the A32 and Iqoo 7. People have priorities and they find value in different devices and that is why all these brands are existing. Some people may want the combination of OIS+ IP Rating+ Samaung Brand for whom A52 exists. Just buy one in which you find value. (But still A32 is much more hard to digest for me personally.)
Old 7th July 2021, 11:39   #30660
Distinguished - BHPian

I started looking at phones again after 3+ years and it is so confusing. I have Nokia 7 Plus (yes, there existed such a phone ). As typical of Nokia, has been a fantastic phone. Good build, looks sleek, vanilla android and does the job well for my requirements. It was around 25k when I purchased it. It has aged well and honestly I don't have any major issues with it. It has not slowed down much, battery still lasts a day. But I constantly run out of space, camera is no longer good and it does have occasional hangs, hence was thinking about a change.

I was thinking of phones in the same range, the Oneplus Nord CE, Pixel 4a, Samsung M51 types, but did not go wow over any of these to feel-Yes I want this one. I prefer close to plain android as possible, hence don't want the Realme, Poco, Vivo, MI types. Also looked at the Moto options under 20k. Again on paper would all meet my needs which are primarily a good looking distinct phone, great camera, close to plain android(flexible on this), fast performance and charging, 5G support since I would hold it for long and minimum 128Gb storage. Rest of stuff like the refresh rates, LCD/OLED, popularity etc. are not major deal breakers for me. Lot of options on paper meeting these in a wide range between 15- 30k, but not really convinced with any one.

Almost decided on the Nord CE 5G, but it's support of only one 5G band + the integration announcement with Oppo and the Color OS made me rethink.

The one phone which was suggested by a friend that made me go-Yes, I want this was the Samsung S20 FE 5G. But at 45k, it is in territory I have never gone for a phone and have a mind block on.

Almost thinking of dropping the plan and let the Nokia run as much as it would.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th July 2021 at 11:46.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed