Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2022, 00:09   #31531

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Is it worth switching to something around 40,000 (I can stretch to 50,000 but that's as far as I'll go) or do I spend 3000 to fix up and keep my Oneplus 8 Pro for another year?.
I would suggest to repair if it costs just 3000. For 40k, I don't think you will really get an upgrade. Even your 8 pro costs above 50 k. iPhone pro series would give a better camera and battery experience but that thing is expensive.
If you really want a new one, check out Iqoo 9 series (software is not great) or get a Pixel 6 from US (Many people complain about some random bugs).

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2022 at 02:21. Reason: Spacing fixed.
The21st is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 00:19   #31532
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion for a good android phone for around 40,000-50,000?

Hi, I have a Oneplus 8 Pro I got when the phone launched in 2020, apart from surface scratches and light cosmetic blemishes the phone is perfectly fine but I feel like I want change (even if I replace the front glass and swap in a new battery it would cost about 3000)
Why do you want to change a perfectly working phone? The 8 pro was the peak of OnePlus, the best in their lineup. Change the front glass and the battery for a paltry 3k and you will have a new phone. Moreover, if i remember correctly, the 8 pro had a high refresh rate screen, so the change wouldn't be much noticeable either - it will just fulfill your desire to get something new.

With 5G around the corner, the practical thing would be to spend the 3k and keep your 8 pro and when one year later 5G is operational properly throughout the country, splurge on a new flagship.
Candy$Cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:17   #31533
BHPian

Quote:
Motorola edge 30 pro.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th May 2022 at 09:03. Reason: Please punctuate where required. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2022, 08:41   #31534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I have a Oneplus 8 Pro I got when the phone launched in 2020, apart from surface scratches and light cosmetic blemishes the phone is perfectly fine but I feel like I want change (even if I replace the front glass and swap in a new battery it would cost about 3000)
I would've gone for one of their phones but now it seems the company has gone to the dogs.
I would recommend sticking with your 8 pro for now. Just get the battery changed and front screen guard replaced. If the phone is a little slow, you can do a reset on the phone and it will feel as good as new.
Honestly the latest gen of OnePlus phones are not impressive ever since Oppo officially took them over and merged their software teams. Earlier oxygen OS used to be very good and now there is hardly any development or support. Latest OnePlus phones are also glitchy and hang often, whereas it never used to happen earlier. I have been a OnePlus user for 6 years now.. first with OneplusX , then 3T, then 6T and now 9R. All my older phones are still in perfect condition and still being used by family. When I made the shift from 6T to 9R, I hardly felt any performance upgrade and the only difference was better screen and better camera. If you are already on an 8 Pro you will not find much difference when shifting to a 9RT or a 10R (in fact it may been like a downgrade with 10R as it has plastic build quality). The OS with 12 is also not stable yet and users are still facing challenges. So my recommendation is stick with 8Pro for now!
The inputs costs for manufacturers have also gone up drastically (40%) in a year and now you get much less value for money when you buy a 40k phone.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 10:28   #31535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
With 5G around the corner, the practical thing would be to spend the 3k and keep your 8 pro and when one year later 5G is operational properly throughout the country, splurge on a new flagship.
Makes sense, I like to root and tinker with my phones a little bit, I've had 2 android phones till date my current 8 Pro and a regular Oneplus 6 before that both of which were/are rooted so this limits my options to basically Xiaomi, Oneplus and Google's Pixel lineup as from my knowledge these are the only 3 brands where rooting a phone doesn't void your warranty. I can't buy a Pixel in India and the relatives I have in the US rarely visit so Pixel is ruled out, Oneplus has gone to the dogs which leaves Xiaomi as the only realistic option for me.

I used to have 2 iPhones but iOS is just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The21st View Post
Even your 8 pro costs above 50 k. iPhone pro series would give a better camera and battery experience but that thing is expensive.
I agree, my father is essentially locked into the Apple ecosystem since the XS Max in 2018 and is currently using a 13 Pro Max 512GB, the only non apple device he uses is his computer. I know the iPhones are probably the best rounded package on the market if you can afford it. Sure I can go for the latest and greatest iPhone 13 Pro Max, it's not a problem from a financial perspective but I don't feel like it's worth it. With how I use my phone I don't think I'll find much difference between a 45k Xiaomi and a 1.1 lakh Samsung S22 Ultra.

I'm buying a Royal Enfield 650 in a few months (not yet decided between the Continental GT and the Interceptor) so I'd rather spend my money on buying accessories and mods for the bike.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th May 2022 at 16:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 7th May 2022, 16:05   #31536
BHPian

Quote:

Is it worth switching to something around 40,000 (I can stretch to 50,000 but that's as far as I'll go) or do I spend 3000 to fix up and keep my Oneplus 8 Pro for another year?
Short answer - Don't

Nothing in price range you mentioned, from the phones currently available, will give you a similar experience. Also, you have what was possibly one of the last top notch products from a company that was once great.

Not preaching what I haven't practiced here, I was in a similar dilemma recently when the display of the One Plus 7 Pro went bad. I got both the display and battery replaced as no other new product on offer seemed to offer the value that these phones do even today.

You might want to watch a few videos on YouTube around comparisons between Yesteryears Flagships vs. Today's mid rangers. 9 out of 10 would recommend you Yesteryears Flagships

While at it, you would also be doing your bit by not adding to the e waste unless it becomes absolutely essential
Old 7th May 2022, 22:13   #31537
Team-BHP Support

If you are using a Samsung phone with Dex support, I strongly recommend getting one of these:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-51ag4s4oowl._sl1200_.jpg

Attach to phone.
HDMI to TV.
BT keyboard connected to Phone.
In this dongle put the dongle of a wireless mouse.

Within seconds your Desktop experience is enabled and if you have a Office 365, license, it is as good as working on your desktop / laptop.
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 23:02   #31538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is it worth switching to something around 40,000 (I can stretch to 50,000 but that's as far as I'll go) or do I spend 3000 to fix up and keep my Oneplus 8 Pro for another year?...
Can't argue against wants, but it's obvious you don't need a new phone. I'm holding onto my 7T myself, and might go back to it when my Pixel 4a gives up the ghost (bought this only because I wanted a smaller phone).

Save the money and spend it on your soon-to-be bike instead.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 14:56   #31539
Oxy
BHPian

Got my Samsung S20 FE 5G delivered yesterday. Definitely an impressive phone for the price but the battery seems to drain quite rapidly even though I have very minimal apps installed and have put most of them on the "deep sleep" mode.

Maybe it will improve with time but that seems to be the only negative as of now in what is otherwise more than a decent phone even though more than a year old.
Old 8th May 2022, 15:17   #31540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Maybe it will improve with time but that seems to be the only negative as of now in what is otherwise more than a decent phone even though more than a year old.
I had a very similar feeling with my S22.

Battery has definitely improved over time. I also use that battery optimization thing that stops charging at 85% full.

I use an Apple 20w charger as it does the charging much faster than my old 1+ 30w brick.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 15:58   #31541
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Battery has definitely improved over time. I also use that battery optimization thing that stops charging at 85% full.
Thanks bblost. I have enabled that setting along with several others which is supposed to save battery.

But this is weird. Irrespective of what I am doing on the phone, say if I am just reading an article or replying to your post here, I can see the battery %age reducing. Nothing really running on background either. Not sure why this is happening.
Old 8th May 2022, 16:36   #31542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Thanks bblost. I have enabled that setting along with several others which is supposed to save battery.

But this is weird. Irrespective of what I am doing on the phone, say if I am just reading an article or replying to your post here, I can see the battery %age reducing. Nothing really running on background either. Not sure why this is happening.
It is a new phone, it will take time to settle. A new phone has a lot of processes going on and it also adjusts according to your usage.
Don't think too much about the drain, use normally and the battery drain shall improve in a week or so.
Also, i don't think there is need to enable all those battery saving options, just let the phone adapt. I know it is new and that's why you are paranoid.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 18:58   #31543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I use an Apple 20w charger as it does the charging much faster than my old 1+ 30w brick.
Same experience - after the initial couple of weeks the battery is lasting a bit longer in my S22. And I also use the Apple 20W charger at home, which fills up the Samsung battery in reasonably good speeds.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 21:59   #31544
BHPian

Facing a major issue with my 8 months old S20FE 5G. The screen has just went blank all of a sudden since today afternoon; never had any fall or physical impact. Phone was lying idle, tried waking it using fingerprint, power button etc and nothing seemed to happen. The phone itself works and rings for calls/notifications, except that the display is completely off (no backlight since this is an AMOLED panel). No amount of force reboots has helped. I ran out to the nearest mobile phone store and bought a dumb phone (Nokia 105) so that I can atleast make calls, since I have no backup phone.

Realised that Samsung Dex is a life saver in such situations, and I am glad that I had it set up in my phone and laptop already. I have now connected the phone to my laptop and I am using the phone by mirroring the screen.

Today being a Sunday, all of the authorised service centers are shut. Need to check with the service centre tomorrow. Hoping that there would be no damage to my wallet since the phone is still under warranty.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 8th May 2022 at 22:03.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:04   #31545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear All,
Recently got ONE PLUS 5T 6GB+64GB variant earlier this month on the 6th via Amazon. Please note that my earlier phone was REDMI NOTE 3 and before that, I was using ASUS ZENFONE 2 4GB+64GB version. I Got the Asus in Mid-2015. It is running very well right now and my wife is using it.

Traded My OnePlus 5T with the brand new OnePlus 9RT this time a 12+256GB version.

The experience with 5T was great. No issues in a total 4 years stint.

A major reason for the change was the battery was giving up and was kinda bored with the same UI for the last 2 years as OnePlus Stopped providing software updates after the last update to Android 10 in 2020.

For a change was using a custom ROM called Pixel Experience 12. It was nice and butter-smooth though but battery life was not that great so decided to change.

Coming to Oneplus 9RT, It is the best to upgrade in terms of everything. Going to Oneplus again was their promise to keep Oxygen OS alive in the future specifically after the Oneplus-Oppo merger.

Last edited by N4Nikunj : 9th May 2022 at 12:05.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks