Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 22:52   #16591
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
So, Holmes has been uncovered! Elementary, dear Watson!

Anyway, felt great to hear from you about Tasker! I've discovered a kindred soul!
I was on the look out for some thing which would toggle 3G periodically. I got some apps. But none worked. Then I started with tasker. I gave up in frustration as I got intimidated by the sheer number of options. Since I was back to square one, I thought I would give a serious shot at it. Went over XDA you tube channels and slowly started with it. And now I am just enjoying myself. No more codes. Quite many profiles.

Main ones being :

- Wifi Vs 3G selection based on location. (I set toggle variables for home / work etc).
- Based on time and location, I set drive modes and use this variable to set blue tooth and car modes. Helps sync my phone to the car's BT. (I have not yet used any NFC tags in the car to toggle car mode).
- Turning on silence modes based on office location. (Was toying with the idea of turning on silence modes based on calendar entry, but gave it up)
- Periodic toggling of Wifi/3G (based on location) to save power. I chose 5 minutes in every 30 minutes to sync up data for all apps
- Apps based data on/off. In other words turning on data when you detect an app requiring data is turned on else turn data off
- Last but not least Automatic over rides over data, location, power and drive mode controls

It sure has been fun coding it up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
What do you mean by Exit task? You meam enabling it after that end time?

I have restricted whatsapp to be non operational between 10:30 and 19:00. Ill test it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Quote:
Yes. Reason is, the action I saw in tasker was "Kill App" which to me suggests that an exit task might be needed. Right, Ampere?

The way to do it is:

- Choose profile by time (From : / To: )
- Add a task which says kill app : whatsapp
- Then you add an exit task (when you are NOT between 10:30 to 1900). And that is load app Whatsapp.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Hi
Can someone point me to , how to exactly export a Tasker profile.
Select all profiles. And then chose settings -> export.

Quote:
Is there a better way to instantly turn the screen off when the power is disconnected.
It should be the standard Display-off variable when no power detected.

Last edited by ampere : 15th October 2013 at 22:56.
Old 15th October 2013, 23:05   #16592
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Hope i got it correct this time. Pls c the 2 highlighted rules.

You think they make sense?

Name:  ForumRunner_20131015_230515.png
Views: 540
Size:  445.8 KB

Regards,
Old 15th October 2013, 23:16   #16593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

Hope i got it correct this time. Pls c the 2 highlighted rules.
Harshal,

What is mini tasker? Is it the same tasker? (Sorry not aware about that).

What I meant is a single profile to be set from 10AM to 7PM which triggers an app kill and whose exit loads the app.

Hope that helps. Here is a screen shot.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20131015231239.png
Old 15th October 2013, 23:43   #16594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Harshal,

What is mini tasker? Is it the same tasker? (Sorry not aware about that).

What I meant is a single profile to be set from 10AM to 7PM which triggers an app kill and whose exit loads the app.

Hope that helps. Here is a screen shot.
Oh ok. Seems i got it all wrong. I use mini tasker. But it seems to be doing something similar. Will test it for a day and if not ill install Tasker.

Thanks a lot.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:59   #16595
Senior - BHPian

Is WA down for me? Or everybody?

Edit: issue resolved.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-image2605262878.jpg

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th October 2013 at 02:10.
Old 16th October 2013, 02:29   #16596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Is WA down for me? Or everybody?

Edit: issue resolved.

Attachment 1153405
It went down for me for about 30 mins
Old 16th October 2013, 07:24   #16597
BHPian

Quote:

Select all profiles. And then chose settings -> export.

It should be the standard Display-off variable when no power detected.

Where does it export the file to, if i want to send it to somebody.the root sd card?
Old 16th October 2013, 07:34   #16598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where does it export the file to, if i want to send it to somebody.the root sd card?
Even I got into the confusion. Use export to clipboard. Open a compose mail and paste it. It works. I just checked. You can the directly mail it to the person, thus.
Another solution is, turn on auto-back-up. It would write your profiles to the auto back up folder inside tasker.

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2013 at 07:36.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:06   #16599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Any free app which does what tasker does? I dont want to pay for an app
Llama is a powerful alternative, and is Free and simpler for non-techies too. I am using it from Day 1 on android and it's really good Some of my location based / connectivity based events on Llama are attached for reference. The last one "Reached Home" is not completely visible in the screen shot. What it does is, whenever I reach Home location, it will change profile to "Home", enable WiFi for couple minutes and disables it if it's not connected to any WiFi network.

The biggest catch for this app is that the location is purely based on cell towers and hence no battery drainer.

You can also control application kill/ start depending on various conditions.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20131016085433.png

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 16th October 2013 at 09:08.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:14   #16600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Llama is a powerful alternative, and is Free and simpler for non-techies too. I am using it from Day 1 on android and
Thanks to you I started with Llama. But what I could not get it to do was a set a periodic toggle of data (Maybe I did not know how to do it then. Dont know if its possible). Hence I shifted out. Else its a neat app.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:38   #16601
BHPian

Quote:
Even I got into the confusion. Use export to clipboard. Open a compose mail and paste it. It works. I just checked. You can the directly mail it to the person, thus.
The file extension has do be XML ?
Old 16th October 2013, 10:23   #16602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The file extension has do be XML ?
Yes it outputs an XML. The same XML can be imported into some else's Taster setup. Move this XML to his/her auto back up folder inside the tasker folder.
Old 16th October 2013, 10:26   #16603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Any free app which does what tasker does? I dont want to pay for an app
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

Llama is a powerful alternative, and is Free and simpler for non-techies too.
+1 to that it is an excellent app that I stumbled upon 1.5yrs ago when I was looking for an app similar too smart profiles in symbian. But llama is much more efficient than that and it is a blessing and it hasn't failed me once yet. Just that you need to train it for the first few days. It is so nice when you go for a drive and llama connects to my Vista's Bluetooth headset and disconnects the moment I reach my home.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:09   #16604
BHPian

Quote:

I was on the look out for some thing which would toggle 3G periodically. I got some apps. But none worked. Then I started with tasker. I gave up in frustration as I got intimidated by the sheer number of options. Since I was back to square one, I thought I would give a serious shot at it. Went over XDA you tube channels and slowly started with it. And now I am just enjoying myself. No more codes. Quite many profiles.

Main ones being :

- Wifi Vs 3G selection based on location. (I set toggle variables for home / work etc).
- Based on time and location, I set drive modes and use this variable to set blue tooth and car modes. Helps sync my phone to the car's BT. (I have not yet used any NFC tags in the car to toggle car mode).
- Turning on silence modes based on office location. (Was toying with the idea of turning on silence modes based on calendar entry, but gave it up)
- Periodic toggling of Wifi/3G (based on location) to save power. I chose 5 minutes in every 30 minutes to sync up data for all apps
- Apps based data on/off. In other words turning on data when you detect an app requiring data is turned on else turn data off
- Last but not least Automatic over rides over data, location, power and drive mode controls

It sure has been fun coding it up !
Hey, that's a neat set of profiles!

I struggled with the 'cell near' profile to toggle WiFi and 3G. If you could share screenshots of that profile, it would be very helpful! As an interim measure, I had set a task to toggle WiFi/3G with a succour on my home screen.

Also, I would be curious to see the profiles of setting car mode on/off and the app based data on/off.

Thanks a lot!
Old 16th October 2013, 17:40   #16605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey, that's a neat set of profiles!
Thanks.

Quote:
I struggled with the 'cell near' profile to toggle WiFi and 3G. If you could share screenshots of that profile, it would be very helpful! As an interim measure, I had set a task to toggle WiFi/3G with a succour on my home screen.
Difficult to show a snapshot here Sherlock
Let me try to summarize:

- Use the "cell near" profile to toggle sets of variables (say home and work). In other words you have two cell near profiles which set/unset work/home variable on entry/exit
- For the next some times keep sampling these cell near value till you get the full set for home and work. There can be many cells that would be in your vicinity.
- Rest of the profiles you can parse based on these variables rather than cell near profile
- Write a tasks for data on and data off. So if home==1, turn on Wifi else turn on 3G. Same for turn-off
- Then create a profile which turn runs the task "data on" when selected apps are activated.

Quote:
Also, I would be curious to see the profiles of setting car mode on/off and the app based data on/off.
Ideal would be use of NFC tags. But without what I do is :

For mornings
When Time is 6 to 8 AM and days are Mon-Friday and Neither Home nor work = 1, I set a variable called drive mode.
On this variable perform all car mode related items. Eg set phone in car mode, turn on bluetooth etc.

Similarly for evening 3-6PM time and rest of the conditions as above.
I also use an over ride task that toggles the drive mode. So that in case you reach some place in these times and dont want the drive mode !

For benefit of all, its not at all difficult, once you get the hang of it. You need to spend some initial time.

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2013 at 17:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks