Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:36   #29296
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
All Android phones will have the same UI.
IMO, Mi A3 is a better value for money Android One proposition. The screen is 720p AMOLED, similar to the old Samsung J series.

Amongst, your shortlist. Go for the Nokia 8.1 irrespective of the RAM available. It's constructed of metal and shall last long. The specs (except the camera) have no real-world differences to the latest variants, which I feel are overpriced.
Thanks @sharktale (one of my all time favorite animated movies)

Agree to your feedback about Mi A3 but the 720p screen is a downer. Guess the current Moto G5 Plus my father uses has a 1080p screen. Its close to 3 years now and he is going to keep the phone for long. That's the only reason I didn't consider it. I used a A1 earlier and even that had a 1080p screen.

Usually read through the verdict of most reviews unless there is something specific that I want to read through. I am currently using a Nokia 6.1+ and it feels pretty premium build wise for the price. Has anything changed for X.2 series as I assumed that the build would be similar.

I do understand that 8.1 is a more premium mid ranger so expecting better performance with the 710 QC chip. Just read through the reviews and figured out that it has better build quality than 7 and 6 series. Only chink is the wide notch that will take some getting used to. Was looking for a 6 GB variant but looks like will have to settle for a 4 GB one as GB variant isn't available anywhere.
Old 22nd October 2019, 21:02   #29297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
What bluetooth was the Motorola on? I remember reading there would be a significant output loss between 5.0 to lower 2.0 version.
Spec sheets show the Moto was on 4.0LE, the 7T is 5.0LE.

Quote:
Sitting on the fence between OP7 128GB and OP7T 256GB. Not sure if 25% premium is justified to future proof the a device over something very similar.

Boils down to how much you care about the following two:

1. Camera updates: I guess a Google Camera port will become available to side-load eventually that can utilize the setup, assuming there are no glaring hardware limitations on the sensors.

2. 90Hz screen: It really does appear smoother when compared side-by-side, though 60Hz is great as-is, and more content will support 90fps in the future. More a gimmick than an absolute necessity, to be honest.

P.S. Google is making 'original quality' Photos cloud storage paid only (even the newer pixels only get 'high quality' 16 MP uploads free now beginning with the 4), so another point in support of higher storage if you're a heavy camera user.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd October 2019 at 21:10.
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:03   #29298
BHPian

One question, with respect to One Plus Cloud storage.

Does the 50 GB option include storage at original size or compressed?

I understand this option is currently available for 7T and 7T Pro models, and is currently free for 1 year from the date of activation.

This is over and above the other 5 GB limit.
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:54   #29299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did face an issue today when I had gmaps on today. The GPS would lock but then it wouldn't track. I wasn't on gmaps driving mode, was just tracking traffic but my location wouldn't update even if i moved a couple of kms. I had to close the app and open again for location to update. Can you guys check and let me know if you are having similar issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will update in a couple of days.
Update - Didn't face any issue. Had google maps on for my recent ride from Trivandrum to Bangalore. (Trivandrum to Madurai section & Attibele to Yelahanka via NICE section, to be specific).

Not only was the maps accurate - battery was still at a superb 43% after all this map use and over 11 hours of riding time. Plus the device wasn't hot whenever I tried to access it! (It is kept inside a fully covered pouch in front of the bike, and my LG G6 used to get quite hot when maps were used).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd October 2019 at 07:57.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:41   #29300
BHPian

Has anyone faced a similar issue and found a fix for Gmaps audio directions while on FM radio?

While listening to FM and the phone connected over Bluetooth, audio directions from Gmaps does not sound over the car audio. However, if the car audio is playing music through the phone media, the audio directions come through. There is no issue with phone calls though.

The issue is not faced if it's an iPhone, since there is a setting in Gmaps to play audio as a phone call in iOS.

If it helps, mine is a 2016 VW GT TSI with the stock HU. I have checked with many Android phones and the same behaviour is seen.

Last edited by swissknife : 23rd October 2019 at 08:42.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:47   #29301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If it helps, mine is a 2016 VW GT TSI with the stock HU. I have checked with many Android phones and the same behaviour is seen.
No, this is an issue I am suffering too. The temporary method I do is that I channel the GMaps audio through the phone speaker while on bluetooth. That way I can hear both FM Radio and GMaps separately and also can receive the calls
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:18   #29302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
One dislike about the 7T after a few days of usage. Bluetooth streaming, both connection stability and volume, seems worse than my previous phone (Motorola XT1225). My phones are usually paired to audio at home and in-car, so this is a bit of a bummer.

Lovely phone otherwise, so far.
Thats a first! I have been using two OP phones over the last three years and bluetooth connection issues have never come up, whether in the car or otherwise. Not 7T though, mine have been the OP3 and now the OP 6T.

Expect an update soon if there is really an issue in the 7T. OP is pretty quick with releasing patches to rectify errors reported by users.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:35   #29303
BHPian

This is faced in all Android phones when connected over bluetooth. When connected through Android Auto, it works without issues.
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:03   #29304
BHPian

Quote:
One dislike about the 7T after a few days of usage. Bluetooth streaming, both connection stability and volume, seems worse than my previous phone (Motorola XT1225). My phones are usually paired to audio at home and in-car, so this is a bit of a bummer.

Lovely phone otherwise, so far.
My earlier phone OP5 and presently using OP7T since last 20 days, Bluetooth connected to both my cars audio and Boat bluetooth earphones, works seamlessly on all three devices.
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:35   #29305
Distinguished - BHPian

After 6.5 years and going through 3 iPhones(iP 5, 5s and SE), I made a move to Android. I was eligible for a work phone and hence, ordered a Pixel 3a. My firm doesn't allow OnePlus or I would have preferred the OP 7T or something. I had to choose from certain models of Motorola, Nokia, Oppo, Vivo, Samsung, Google and Apple. I wanted a good camera phone without spending too much and hence, the 3a.

Leaving the performance aside, I noticed that the Android connects faster and seamlessly with my car's BT HU(Sony WX920BT). On the other hand, the iPhone used to take longer to connect. After connecting, each time I played music, it used to hang for the first 30 seconds and then played without issues. Sound quality over BT was significantly better on iPhone.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:50   #29306
BHPian

Picked up the Galaxy S10e day before yesterday from the Samsung store. The main reason was very weird. Thought of mentioning it here. I was using a galaxy S8 from the past two years. After two years, the phone started developing some problems with the screen and motherboard. As the phone was out of warranty, the cost of the repair was too much so picked up a Redmi Note 7 pro.

In total, I used the Redmi for around 3 months and since the day of using this phone, I used to get very bad headaches. Checked the SAR value and found out it was almost 3 times high ( head value ). Not sure if this was the reason but I never had this problem with the S8. Finally thought of shifting back to Samsung. Will surely miss the awesome battery life the Redmi gave.

Now back to the S10e. What a fantastic form factor. The battery is still learning the usage pattern, therefore, can't say anything about it right now but it's snappy as hell and the camera is just great. Paid 49.5k for the same.

All in all, very happy with the decision and yes, the awesome screen and audio quality have to be mentioned.

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:13   #29307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
My earlier phone OP5 and presently using OP7T since last 20 days, Bluetooth connected to both my cars audio and Boat bluetooth earphones, works seamlessly on all three devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thats a first! I have been using two OP phones over the last three years and bluetooth connection issues have never come up
Pairs and works flawlessly with my Jabra Biz Duo headset too, probably the car ICE acting up. Will watch for a few more days, electronics seem to have a mind of their own these days.

Quote:
Expect an update soon if there is really an issue in the 7T. OP is pretty quick with releasing patches to rectify errors reported by users.
Yes, an incremental update is reportedly already rolling out with a few network and selfie cam tweaks. Should get it in a few days.
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:40   #29308
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, an incremental update is reportedly already rolling out with a few network and selfie cam tweaks. Should get it in a few days.
Got this update few days back
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20191023143704.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2019, 14:44   #29309
BHPian

Word of Caution for Samsung Galaxy S8 Users.
Since i knew this phone is ip68 certified, dipping it in water is a non-issue. Have used this feature to take under water videos in the pool many times.
Last week I did the same thing again and in couple of hours i could see condensation on the front camera lens. Couple of hours later i could see condensation on rear camera too. Kept it in sunlight, warmed it up, nothing worked.

The next day the screen was gone. Just get flashes of some weird color here and there. But looks like the screen is gone. .

57000 down the drain.

I am a Samsung user who recently lost S8 to water ingress, Bought Note9 on amazon. Had Diwali sale going on and with citi bank card offer got it for 39998.

This is the cheapest Samsung flagship phone ever that i have bought.
I know its a year old phone but can give competition to any flagships out there.
F1.5 aperture is to die for. almost DSLR level clarity

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2019 at 17:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:05   #29310
Team-BHP Support

I would never dunk anything in water that isn't certified 'waterproof' and covered by manufacturer for damage.

The fine print with all these 'certified resistant for x depth/time' devices clearly state manufacturer will take no responsibility or provide assistance for liquid damage, so it's not worth the risk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks