Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 16:15   #29431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thinking of upgrading my Samsung A50. Does One plus 7T at 34999 makes sense or should I wait for One plus 8 which is rumored to come in couple of months. What do you guys suggest? Any other comparable phones in that price band? No issues with my A50 but I change phone yearly and have never used a One plus device before so just wanted to try it out this time. I can wait few months if something new and better is rumored to come.
Old 16th January 2020, 16:59   #29432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thinking of upgrading my Samsung A50. Does One plus 7T at 34999 makes sense or should I wait for One plus 8 which is rumored to come in couple of months. What do you guys suggest? Any other comparable phones.. .
What about the S10 lite ? Supposed to sell at Rs. 39K. Maybe worth waiting for.
Update - Those webpages seem to be missing now - a couple of days ago I saw some sites stating the price as 39K and 36K (Note 10 lite) . There's a 404 error in place of those pages now.

Last edited by mvadg : 16th January 2020 at 17:04.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:25   #29433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thinking of upgrading my Samsung A50. Does One plus 7T at 34999 makes sense or should I wait for One plus 8 which is rumored to come in couple of months. What do you guys suggest? Any other comparable phones in that price band? No issues with my A50 but I change phone yearly and have never used a One plus device before so just wanted to try it out this time. I can wait few months if something new and better is rumored to come.
One Plus mostly launches its phones (non T versions) around May-June each year. If they follow the same cycle, then its quite a long way away. On the other hand, the 7T makes eminent sense. Its a fantastic phone, and there is very little to dislike about OP devices in general (other than the absence of a 3.5 mm jack in their current lineup). Id suggest you go for the 7T and be on the lookout for offers and dealers which are announced from time to time.

I have used the OP3 and 6T and have nothing but good things to say about them save the one niggle listed above. After Samsung, the near stock Android experience should be a refreshing change for you to a lag free and blazing fast OS.
Old 17th January 2020, 16:08   #29434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Looking for a phone to replace my 2 year old Moto Z2 Play.
After much dithering (8 months!) I ordered a Rog Phone 2 on Wednesday which arrived yesterday. First 24 hours of usage feels like I have not made a mistake. It is an awesome phone though a bit bigger than what I'm used to.
Old 17th January 2020, 17:39   #29435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
After much dithering (8 months!) I ordered a Rog Phone 2 on Wednesday... .
Did you get to try it before buying? None of the Asus shops had a demo piece. It was my backup plan to get one if I didn't get a S10 to my liking. Great specs - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by mvadg : 17th January 2020 at 17:40.
Old 18th January 2020, 20:37   #29436
Senior - BHPian

I have been contemplating moving to the Galaxy Note series because of the SPen and was eyeing the Note 10 when the news of Note 10 lite came in. Suddenly Note 10 feels outdated since as per Samsung policy of giving only two major OS updates, Note 10 will only receive only one more update. Because Samsung messed up the launch timing, it was launched just before android 10 and straight away got the android 10 update. I don't want to spend 65k and then be left with a phone that will be outdated in a year. Leaning towards the Note 10 lite since it is being launched with android 10 and will receive updates till android 12 as per Samsung policy.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 18th January 2020 at 20:39.
Old 18th January 2020, 20:48   #29437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Did you get to try it before buying? None of the Asus shops had a demo piece.
Their website lists all the Girias in Bangalore as authorised resellers, but the ones I went to didn't even know about this (Indira Nagar, Marathahalli). Apparently Girias sells only 4 brands none of which is Asus.

I went to their exclusive store in Koramangala, but they didn't have the phone in demo or stock either.

Finally just went by online reviews/videos. I think the 8 months wait was well worth it, though it broke the cycle of phone change every two years that I've been following since 1999.
Old 19th January 2020, 11:47   #29438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I have been contemplating moving to the Galaxy Note series because of the SPen and was eyeing the Note 10 when the news of Note 10 lite came in. Suddenly Note 10 feels outdated since as per Samsung policy of giving only two major OS updates, Note 10 will only receive only one more update. Because Samsung messed up the launch timing, it was launched just before android 10 and straight away got the android 10 update. I don't want to spend 65k and then be left with a phone that will be outdated in a year. Leaning towards the Note 10 lite since it is being launched with android 10 and will receive updates till android 12 as per Samsung policy.

The Note 10 lite is not in the same league as the Note 10. Its more of a "low end of the top-end" kinda phone. Before finalizing it, do check out this video.

Old 19th January 2020, 12:11   #29439
BHPian

Upgraded to Note 10 + this New year and loving every bit of it!

Off screen note writing is a superb feature. Camera is awesome!
Old 20th January 2020, 08:21   #29440
Senior - BHPian

I have had mixed experience with the Note 10 plus. I had the Note 8 and then the S9 +. Frankly they all feel iterative to me. A litte better here and a little different there but overall same.

Incrementally its a great step up. But generally phones are getting boring now.
Old 20th January 2020, 08:50   #29441
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently, had a shock when I received a SMS text message from the bank for a cheque payment. This was a Rs.6k odd payment for motor vehicle insurance. On hearing the SMS notification, I fire up the Mi Messaging app and it has all this fancy, colourful UI that reads the text and renders in it's visualization. I click on the message and it displays "Banking debit amount" followed by a six digit amount for the insurance Turns out the app interpreted the cheque number as the amount debited!

Talk of wasted effort building features (with bugs) that offer no value. Why even have such visualization for simple text messages ?

Last edited by NPV : 20th January 2020 at 08:52.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:04   #29442
Senior - BHPian

So finally switched my moms whatsapp from her iphone 5S to her new Samsung M30S. It wasn't free and I used an app called wazzapmigrator which cost Rs. 460. The website itself gives detalied step by step instructions. You need very little tech knowledge but will need to follow the steps accurately. On top of the paid app, I used wazzapmigrator extractor (free) to extract the sqlite file and the media from the iphone and used Andoid File Transfer (free) to transfer the extracted files to the Samsung.I used itunes for getting an unencrypted backup which I needed to use. Overall the chat file was about 50 MB and there was 10 Gb of media to transfer. Didnt face any issues for the transfer - it took me about 1 hour because I was multitasking, having dinner, playing with chilldren, etc during the time.

If any of you are facing the same task and need help, do contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
There is an option to backup WhatsApp messages to Google drive in Android phones. See if a similar option exists in the iPhone. If so, then its just a matter of restoring the backup from Google drive on the new Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I guess BenjiRoss may be out of luck here as transfer from iPhone to iPhone is easier as you can save Whatsapp conversations in iCloud and restore.

Isn't there any app on iOS for moving all your stuff from iOS to Android like Apple has their Move to iOS app on android play store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Whatsapp switching between iphone and android seems to be an absolute nightmare. Iphones back it up to icloud and android can only recognise backups from google drive to restore. I also discovered that all the links on google which show 3 (or 4) ways of transferring whatsapp from iphone to android are spam articles aimed at downloading software that is paid. They usually state 2 methods that will NOT work and are free (eg. Just backup to cloud and download from there when you install whatsapp on android)!
I may end up using paid software, but am not sure which one is reliable.

I wonder if Whatsapp has an official way of doing this.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:18   #29443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I will most probably pick the Samsung M30s or The Redmi Note 8 as originally shortlisted. Thanks to all who responded.
I have bought the Samsung M30s 6gb/128gb at the latest Amazon sale for Rs 15k. Purchased just past midnight on 19th Jan, delivered by 5 PM the same day. Initial impressions are very good.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:30   #29444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Recently, had a shock when I received a SMS text message from the bank for a cheque payment.
I missed a credit card payment because SMS Organizer somehow missed the statement. Till then everything had worked flawlessly and I started depending on it. Such apps should be certified by both the bank and some other consumer centric agency - but I know this is too much to ask of our government, our banks and the tech behemoths that rule the planet today.

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 07:40. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 20th January 2020, 12:06   #29445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Talk of wasted effort building features (with bugs) that offer no value. Why even have such visualization for simple text messages ?
No need at all.

However, there are better apps than basic sms message apps. It's unusual for me to praise anything Microsoft, but their sms manager does an excellent job of separating personal, transaction, etc messages, and presenting current account balance from Bank transaction messages. Reliable and accurate.

I got the recommendation from this thread. Passing it on again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks