Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 09:41   #27931
BHPian

Re: Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro' issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any with Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro'? Picked this in the recent sale on FK.
It struggles to connect to the WiFi which is on the top floor, where my laptop connects easily from the same location.

Is there any issue with WiFi connectivity on 'Zenfone Max Pro'?
I am in the return window NOW, and need to decide asap.

Please advise!
The Zenfone doesn't come with Dual Band Wifi, hence it wont connect with Wifi Band other the 2.4 Ghz. If that said band is crowded then you will have the issue of poor connections. Disconnect other devices and connect only the Zenfone, check if its working.

If its not working even then, you can go for the Nokia 6.1 Plus, which is the same price range and comes with Dual Band Wifi and it also gets faster android updates compared to the ZenFone. The only issue will the smaller battery in the Nokia.
Old 16th October 2018, 13:38   #27932
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I don't have any complaints about Mi A1 battery. It lasts longer than my Moto X Play battery did.

But... I hardly ever make any phone calls! What I do do is quite a lot of internet stuff. (I dislike mobile phones, but I like pocket computers )
Old 16th October 2018, 13:45   #27933
BHPian

OP6 users- hows your device holding up after the pie update? My battery backup is getting worse, getting a little over 4 hours of SOT. Saving grace is the dash charging.

OT - this wallpaper for OP6 is really great!!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...-edge-t3848817
Old 16th October 2018, 13:46   #27934
BANNED

I got this Samsung Galaxy S8 from Flipkart and that is supposed to be for someone in family who stays in Japan. But, I was shocked when I see Indian SIM card only sticker on the pack. Called up service center and advised as following:
  • Switch on with Indian SIM card in India and use for some time
  • While in abroad, switch on the phone with an Indian SIM with International Roaming and make a call
  • Switch off phone, take out Indian SIM and put in back your local country SIM card and you are good to go.
First step went through smoothly by me, so now waiting for subsequent steps to go smoothly. Just wanted to know, if anyone has any experience in this scenario? Do I need to get worried?

While the process seems innocent, why any sane minded company would region lock a phone which is brought SIM free? I would understand where an operator normally locks a phone for obvious contract reason, but why any manufacturer would do that for an open market purchase?
Old 16th October 2018, 13:54   #27935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
OP6 users- hows your device holding up after the pie update? My battery backup is getting worse, getting a little over 4 hours of SOT. Saving grace is the dash charging.

Mine is holding about the same as Oreo! Can you PM me the screen on time and battery usage chart, so that I can look it into it.
Old 16th October 2018, 13:57   #27936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
While the process seems innocent, why any sane minded company would region lock a phone which is brought SIM free?
This has been Samsung's policy for several years. The idea is to discourage gray market purchases.

I believe Samsung will unlock it themselves if you email them and respond to the questions they ask.

Edit: Found this 2013 article on the topic: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...y-smartphones/

Last edited by binand : 16th October 2018 at 14:00.
Old 16th October 2018, 13:59   #27937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
Mine is holding about the same as Oreo! Can you PM me the screen on time and battery usage chart, so that I can look it into it.
Sure, i will PM you tonight. I disabled the adaptive battery to see if any changes.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:00   #27938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Download the "Zedge" app (it's free) from the Play Store, plenty of fabulous wallpapers, ringtones etc.

Many different versions of the one you have shown from xda-developers also.

Cheers
Old 16th October 2018, 14:03   #27939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While the process seems innocent, why any sane minded company would region lock a phone which is brought SIM free? I would understand where an operator normally locks a phone for obvious contract reason, but why any manufacturer would do that for an open market purchase?
I bought a S9 in UK and had to follow pretty much the same process, except making an international call from a UK carrier after arriving in India.

Even though it wasn't much of a problem with me as I anyway had to put in the UK sim, the box had this leaflet which called it out explicitly - "Activate with a EU Sim card only" and also goes on to say you need to make at least 5 mins worth of calls before putting in a different region sim.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:12   #27940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got my phone last week and upgraded to PIE on day zero. My battery backup is around a day with normal usage, including at least 1 hour of amazon music, 1 hour of watching content on either prime or youtube.

Coming from MIUI, I now appreciate some nifty features in MIUI more. I like the MIUI dual apps implementation and the default dialer, and miss the Quick press on the power button to switch off the torch. Even pressing the fingerprint scanner to click photo is not as smoothly integrated as MIUI.

Wish there were ways to customize the default launcher (my benchmark is nova launcher).

Other than these few minor grouses, liking the OPO experience so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Download the "Zedge" app (it's free) from the Play Store, plenty of fabulous wallpapers, ringtones etc.

Many different versions of the one you have shown from xda-developers also.

Cheers
+1 on Zedge. Zedge is my go-to app for wallpapers and ringtones for last few years.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th October 2018 at 14:14.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:19   #27941
BHPian

Re: Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro' issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
The Zenfone doesn't come with Dual Band Wifi, hence it wont connect with Wifi Band other the 2.4 Ghz. If that said band is crowded then you will have the issue of poor connections.
Never got to know of this issue from the popular online reviews on Youtube. Everyone was singing paeans on this phone and what not. Now have to see whether flipkart accepts my return request.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:22   #27942
Senior - BHPian

So my OnePlus X(16GB) that I got back in Nov,2015 is turning 3 years old next month and although its been mostly trouble-free, I can notice its starting to show its age. Basically slowing down a bit compared to how it used to be when it was 1-2 years old. I usually keep around 1.5GB free space & keep cleaning cache/junk-files regularly to facilitate decent performance but looks like its the age that will show up eventually. They say normal life of android phone is 3-4 years, which I kinda agree as my previous Galaxy S3 mini too lasted from 2013 to 2016.

Usage pattern:I don't make too many calls as such but browse a bit(around 2-3 hours a day on average). Other than chrome, I use the standard apps like FB, Insta, youtube, uber/ola etc. So looking forward for some suggestions for a good phone as a change. I am averse to the HUGE screen phones that we get these days and generally prefer the screen to be strictly <5 inches(4.5" better). Anything bigger seems uncomfortable in the pocket

So requirements are:

1. Size <5".
2. Good battery backup. Should last a day after 2-3 hours browsing.
3. Strong Performance : Hate it when I have to keep waiting for page/app to load. Current phone is slowly showing that problem prompting me to look for a change.
4. Reliable brand with decent service. Usually I used to stick with Motorola, Samsung, Apple. One plus was my first try at non established brand(back in 2015 it wasn't that popular, things are different now I agree) and it has been pretty good.
5. Dual Sim.
6. Decent camera.
7. Budget around 20k
8. 32/64GB

P.S: Amazon/Flipkart exchange price for the phone is 2750INR today. Was 3100 last week. Either ways guess I would keep it as a backup fone rather than throwing it away for more than 80% depreciation.

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th October 2018 at 14:46.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:46   #27943
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This has been Samsung's policy for several years. The idea is to discourage gray market purchases.

I believe Samsung will unlock it themselves if you email them and respond to the questions they ask.

Edit: Found this 2013 article on the topic: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...y-smartphones/

Thank you binand. But, grey marketers have many options to bypass it including unlocking with a local sim card and then selling it off. I still feel this is an unwarranted move by Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I bought a S9 in UK and had to follow pretty much the same process, except making an international call from a UK carrier after arriving in India.

Even though it wasn't much of a problem with me as I anyway had to put in the UK sim, the box had this leaflet which called it out explicitly - "Activate with a EU Sim card only" and also goes on to say you need to make at least 5 mins worth of calls before putting in a different region sim.

Thank you Dry Ice. I have already used that phone for half an hour with my local Airtel SIM and also upgraded some security patch, hence guess should be fine. I am OK with local sim, but I am not OK with forcing someone to go for IR.
Old 16th October 2018, 15:00   #27944
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, i will PM you tonight. I disabled the adaptive battery to see if any changes.
As far as my experience, I don't find a great variation in battery life due to adaptive battery, it just restricts background usage of the listed apps in a very aggressive way.

Also did you notice the ram management has gotten very aggressive with Pie, the application is kicked out from memory and recent menu if you aren't using it for a 3-4 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Never got to know of this issue from the popular online reviews on Youtube. Everyone was singing paeans on this phone and what not. Now have to see whether flipkart accepts my return request.
You can check that at GSMarena under WLAN section.Other than that issue, it's really a formidable device at that price point and battery life is just amazing. Another device to Consider (as you want to switch) is the Motorola one power in that price range, it also got that matching SD 636, 5000mah battery; Andriod one (But the updates wont be as frequent as Nokia's) and it has also got dual band wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So my OnePlus X(16GB) that I got back in Nov,2015 is turning 3 years old next month and although its been mostly trouble-free, I can notice its starting to show its age. Basically slowing down a bit compared to how it used to be when it was 1-2 years old. I usually keep around 1.5GB free space & keep cleaning cache/junk-files regularly to facilitate decent performance but looks like its the age that will show up eventually. They say normal life of android phone is 3-4 years, which I kinda agree as my previous Galaxy S3 mini too lasted from 2013 to 2016.

Usage pattern:I don't make too many calls as such but browse a bit(around 2-3 hours a day on average). Other than chrome, I use the standard apps like FB, Insta, Youtube, uber/ola etc. So looking forward for some suggestions for a good phone as a change. I am averse to the HUGE screen phones that we get these days and generally prefer the screen to be strictly <5 inches(4.5" better). Anything bigger seems uncomfortable in the pocket

So requirements are:

1. Size <5".
2. Good battery backup. Should last a day after 2-3 hours browsing.
3. Performance : Hate it when I have to keep waiting for page/app to load. Current phone is slowly showing that problem prompting me to look for a change.
4. Reliable brand with decent service. Usually I used to stick with Motorola, Samsung, Apple. One plus was my first try at non established brand(back in 2015 it wasn't that popular, things are different now I agree).
5. Budget around 20k
Mate there aren't many latest devices with 5" screen, if you really want one you got look at devices that are year or couple old like Sony Xperia ZA1, Pixel 2 etc.

You can also look at Nokia 6.1 Plus(147.2 x 71 x 8 mm) -which has a 5.8 Inch screen but comparing to the OP X(140 x 69 x 6.9 mm) it is only around 7 mm long.

It has got SD 636 , so performance wont be a issue, decent battery backup and being a Nokia / having Android one it is at least future proof for 3 years. It retails around 16K in flipkart.

But the camera( at night) and video quality is so-so.

Last edited by Car Architect : 16th October 2018 at 15:16.
Old 16th October 2018, 15:26   #27945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, grey marketers have many options to bypass it including unlocking with a local sim card and then selling it off. I still feel this is an unwarranted move by Samsung.
It has been their policy for 5 years and they still continue to be a top handset maker. I'm sure they know things that we don't. :-)

Think about it this way. For the grey marketer to unlock it they have to open the box and packaging, take the phone out, open the sim tray, go through the entire Android setup loop and make 5 minutes worth of calls. Would anyone buy a phone that has gone through all of that, even in the grey market?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks