Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 16:32   #27976
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
last but not the least, I believe Google has a long way to go to match Samsung, Apple or Huawei when it comes to hardware specs, quality and reliability. The original charger on my Pixel phone stopped working and developed blisters within 1 year and I had to throw it away. There are hundreds of posts in online forums (google, androidcentral, reddit etc) about huge battery drain problem in Pixel devices. Apart from the battery drain, the phone shuts down randomly at different battery % (12%, 10%,15%,18% etc) which is also a hghly reported problem in online forums. The display issues with the Google Pixel 2XL is well known to almost everyone.
I have used an Lg G6 before my Pixel 2 XL. Fantastic specs but zero software updates. also some security patches made the phone unusable twice. Had to sell it in 10months.

Changed to Pixel 2 XL for 8 months now. No issues whatsoever.

Before the Lg G6 I was using a Google Nexus. Very nice phone but had to change the motherboard twice.

Had a Moto X 2nd gen, again had battery issues in less than a year. battery changed under goodwill warranty but phone started getting laggy.

As you can see all the phones I had were almost flagship, LG G6, Moto X, Nexux 5X. All 3 had some issue or the other.

While Samsung and Huawei make great hardware, the UI experience and SW is what is a let down on the overall experience.

The Pixel 2 XL is not perfect but its' the best experience so far for me.

Your only choice is iOS cause no Android phone comes close to what you need.
Old 18th October 2018, 17:56   #27977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

That will be the last option as I mentioned.
I am seriously considering the Pixel 2 XL and the Samsung S8/S9.
Given my initial research, it seems Samsung is pretty regular with the Security updates on their flagship devices. How is the battery life on your Pixel 2 XL? Did you face any of the display issues which were much talked about since the launch? Pixel 2XL was recently available at 40K in flipkart sale which makes it a good value for money considering the excellent camera, water resistance and the fact that it still has 2 more years of guaranteed updates.
Old 18th October 2018, 21:03   #27978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Pixel 2 XL is not perfect but its' the best experience so far for me.

Quote:
Given my initial research, it seems Samsung is pretty regular with the Security updates on their flagship devices. How is the battery life on your Pixel 2 XL? Did you face any of the display issues which were much talked about since the launch? Pixel 2XL was recently available at 40K in flipkart sale which makes it a good value for money considering the excellent camera, water resistance and the fact that it still has 2 more years of guaranteed updates.
My experience is like what Vid have mentioned above; I moved from a LG V20 to the Pixel 2 XL, and the experience is fantastic. Initially it felt a bit underwhelming compared to my wife’s Note 8, but after a week or so I got used to the easy and uncluttered interface, and I now understand when people talk of the pure Android experience. Mine is a relatively new phone, just around 4 months now and I have not found any display issues. No problem for me with the battery life and the camera is just fantastic; better than the iPhone X I was using.

One grouse I have is the lack of dual sim option. And I hear that even in Pixel 3 it’s the same.
Old 18th October 2018, 21:27   #27979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is no real display issues other than the fact that Google went for DCI-P3 colour gamut that look sad as the colours look dull and washed out.

This was fixed by a boosted mode in a SW update and now you get a saturated mode which is almost like Samsung OLEd.

The minor grouse which till now hasn't even bothered me is the blue tinge when viewed at an angle. Infact I forgot about this completely after a week of buying it.

The battery for me is the highlight. Its the best I have seen on any phone and even after 8months there has never been a day where I am left with low battery by the end of the night when I am back home. I just don't have to think about charging once its topped up in the morning. Even the standby barely loses 4-5% after 7-8 hours of sleep at night.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:21   #27980
BANNED

@adimicra; My experience with htc has been great. We have had quite a few htc phones (mostly CDMA) over the years. I rate them conservative but superior to Samsung etc.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:32   #27981
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@adimicra; My experience with htc has been great. We have had quite a few htc phones (mostly CDMA) over the years. I rate them conservative but superior to Samsung etc.
I think HTC have winded up their operations from India so it wouldn't be a bright idea to buy an HTC phone now.

PS: The Amazon Festival Sale is going to begin once more from the 24th of this month, so whoever is planning a purchase is advised to wait for that.

Last edited by Oxy : 19th October 2018 at 11:33.
Old 19th October 2018, 12:01   #27982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think HTC have winded up their operations from India so it wouldn't be a bright idea to buy an HTC phone now.
Sad at the loss of HTC from our market. However, many will quit as 'Made in India' takes over, though until VLSI manufacture comes on big time we shall still not be competitive.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:31   #27983
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sad at the loss of HTC from our market. However, many will quit as 'Made in India' takes over, though until VLSI manufacture comes on big time we shall still not be competitive.
HTC winding up has nothing to do with Make In India. They just aren't able to sell any phones and this is not just in India. World over their sales have fallen causing them to withdraw from some countries. With Xiaomi and Oneplus and other Chinese brands HTC is unable to compete.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:27   #27984
BANNED

@Vin6639; htc were also very slow with updates. I waited and waited for the update for my CDMA phone, ultimately just gave up. It is true their user interface iis probably the best but then how long can one wait. I have since switched to Samsung (with one period of a cheap label, which I forget the name of). I am sure that xda will also have third party updates available.
Old 21st October 2018, 14:57   #27985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Vin6639; htc were also very slow with updates. I waited and waited for the update for my CDMA phone, ultimately just gave up. It is true their user interface iis probably the best but then how long can one wait. I have since switched to Samsung (with one period of a cheap label, which I forget the name of). I am sure that xda will also have third party updates available.
LG is also very very slow with updates. My Nexus 5X got 9.0 and even 8.0 was not available for my newer LG G6.
Old 21st October 2018, 15:09   #27986
BANNED

Quote:
LG is also very very slow with updates. My Nexus 5X got 9.0 and even 8.0 was not available for my newer LG G6.
Are you sure the 5X got official pie update? That would make 3 OS updates which would be more than anybody else (except the Pixel 2)
Old 21st October 2018, 19:08   #27987
Senior - BHPian

LG used to be pathetic with updates. But new flagships are better than what was used to be. My v30 is on the August security patch now.

My wife's 1+6 is on pie is another matter altogether! :P
Old 21st October 2018, 19:22   #27988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Are you sure the 5X got official pie update? That would make 3 OS updates which would be more than anybody else (except the Pixel 2)
My bad. I sold the phone in May hence didn't remember. What I meant was the 8.1 update when my Lg G6 which was a year newer was on 7.0 with security patch out of date as well.
Old 21st October 2018, 19:26   #27989
Distinguished - BHPian

Pardon a iOS convert to Android asking a basic question - why is getting the latest update that big a deal? My 1+6 is on the 9.0 OxygenOS version; but then if it remained on 8.0 OS, I doubt if I would find anything an issue.

On a side note, my 5S is still on 10.x series; I was happy with my 6S on 11.x series before moving to 12.x series earlier this month. Apart from a few look & feel aspects, on a daily usage perspective, the updates don't really make much of a difference IMO
Old 21st October 2018, 19:34   #27990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pardon a iOS convert to Android asking a basic question - why is getting the latest update that big a deal? My 1+6 is on the 9.0 OxygenOS version; but then if it remained on 8.0 OS, I doubt if I would find anything an issue.

On a side note, my 5S is still on 10.x series; I was happy with my 6S on 11.x series before moving to 12.x series earlier this month. Apart from a few look & feel aspects, on a daily usage perspective, the updates don't really make much of a difference IMO
Depends on the phone. Android 7 to 8 added a lot of nice features as well as battery improvements.

Same with 8 to 9. 9 makes older phones feel a lot faster and the battery improvement is again very significant.

Most Viewed