Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:07   #20476
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Of late, Whatsapp seems to continue to annoy (notify) me every few minutes in the notification drawer even if I swipe it away. The notification won't stop appearing unless I go to Whatsapp and read every damn message I received.

Given that I receive so much useless stuff this is getting on my nerve. What's the fix, guys?
I've been using an app called "AcDisplay" to display notifications similar to Active Display of Moto X 2nd gen. In this app, there is an option to black list the apps. Under this, I've black listed the WhatsApp and now all the notifications are not being shown even if I did not read/view them. Hope this helps.

Note : Also, check if anything can be done in WhatsApp settings for notifications.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd January 2015 at 16:09.
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:51   #20477
Senior - BHPian

Due to some electrical fault at friends place my Sony mobilephone charger conked off last week. it was a 1500 mAh fast charger. New charger costs 500 rupees.

Local ones available at 120 are pretty slow in charging the phone and i guess harmonics due to poor AC-DC conversion cause screen to operate on its own. Any alternative fast chargers?
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:09   #20478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of late, Whatsapp seems to continue to annoy (notify) me every few minutes in the notification drawer even if I swipe it away. The notification won't stop appearing unless I go to Whatsapp and read every damn message I received.

Given that I receive so much useless stuff this is getting on my nerve. What's the fix, guys?
Do you have a task killer running in the background ? I have noticed this happening when whatsapp is killed by the 'autokill every x minutes' feature of these task manager apps. Whatsapp then restarts and the notifications are pushed out again.
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:02   #20479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
You sure about that? I did not get either a back cover or a screen guard.
Two Colleagues who bought it in last two weeks got it! So I thought its give by default. I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
At the end, both are "B" category. And not mainstream.
So Good Luck with your Gamble.
Its very unlikely that any of the A grade stuff any better than One plus one. I atleast find that Xiaomi, OPPO and OPO are better than any of the A grade stuff!
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:06   #20480
Distinguished - BHPian

I was trying to explain to a charming sales lady, the other day, that I would not be happy to carry 40-50-thousand Rs in my shirt pocket, ready to fall and smash on some concrete, disappear into a drain (even if it is water-proof) and, being quite large, advertising its presence to any passing thief. Anyway, I had fun photographing her with a couple of the Sony Xperia models. As far as I could see, the results looked good, but then, so did she, and it was a brightly lit shop.

My dress custom pretty-much demands keeping the phone in the breast pocket. The shoulder bag already carries a small camera and, sometimes, the 7-inch tablet. Keeping the phone there too is a lot of eggs in the one basket. Bags get forgotten sometimes, but I rarely leave my shirt behind!

My current "A-grade" want-it-but-be-practical choice would be the Xperia Z1 Compact. Perhaps its just that the Z3 Compact is overpriced, but it certainly makes the Z1-compact look like a good buy. What's the Z3-compact got that's worth an extra fifteen thousand!?

But hey, other things are way ahead in the buying queue, and I'm quite happy to have added a larger-screen device to my Android Armoury by spending a mere 8,000 on the Asus Fonepad 7. I might even overcome the looks-silly factor and use it as a phone. It doesn't look as silly as those bluetooth star-trek-wannabe in-the-ear things do
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:12   #20481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My dress custom pretty-much demands keeping the phone in the breast pocket. The shoulder bag already carries a small camera and, sometimes, the 7-inch tablet. Keeping the phone there too is a lot of eggs in the one basket. Bags get forgotten sometimes, but I rarely leave my shirt behind!
In which case please take a very close look at the SAR values (Specific absorption rate). A phone with a high SAR so close to your heart is not advisable. The breast pocket is anyways not advisable place to keep a phone and even worse if the SAR is high.
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:26   #20482
BHPian

Review Time

My Moto X is going to complete one month on upcoming 25th so I think its time I can share my conclusion about the battery which had been biggest doubt for many people who were considering it as an option.

Moto X 2014
Android Lollipop OTA

Heavy usage pattern :
(WiFi, Sync are on along with all the Moto features)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_201501221855.jpg

Normal usage pattern :
(Sync was off, partial 3G usage while away from home and later Wifi was on when phone was at home, all Moto features were on)
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_201501220647.jpg

Conclusion - My usual battery recharging cycles are from morning to morning, comfortable 24 hour cycle. Phone does keep up for a day with ease, doesn't matter if I have turned some feature on or off, it just runs for a day. Turning off any feature like sync etc just doesn't help in achieving any useful extra time for the next day so its better to recharge it daily. I am pretty much comfortable with that pattern, rather very much happy with such battery performance. Now no more worries while turning the screen on for using the phone since there is assurance that battery is not going to die before evening, that too with without compromising with any smart feature. Battery takes around two hours to charge fully from low battery levels so that is also good thing.

About the camera, there is a thread on XDA about modded Motorola camera app called - Camera+ which is compatible with current generation Moto series. That app did help me in sorting out the issue of low detailed snaps captured in low light.

Its a perfect device for me, very small in the outer form but has got pretty large and gorgeous display. I was very apprehensive about the size till I got the phone but it surprised me when I first time grabbed it in my hands. Handsome looking phone, feels great while holding, touch responsiveness is super smooth, a slightest of feather touch is enough to make the things happening. Then Moto features are just added bonus, I am just spoiled by them.

Quote:
As I said earlier, I had only connected to my ext HDD connected to my WD TV Live. But I don't think it is any different with Windows PCs. Yes, they new homegroup thing is something I have never got teh hang of. The internet is full of guides. Like this one in XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...files-t1896999
Thanks a lot for the link, finally sorted out the issue and now ES explorer is working perfectly.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 22nd January 2015 at 19:49.
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:31   #20483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Two Colleagues who bought it in last two weeks got it! So I thought its give by default. I might be wrong.
The next time you come across them please check and update me. I would like to know whether I got unlucky.
Quote:
Its very unlikely that any of the A grade stuff any better than One plus one. I atleast find that Xiaomi, OPPO and OPO are better than any of the A grade stuff!
True, A grade hardware and close-to-pure android is what makes the Oneplus One near-lag-free. Even though it still lags (no pun) behind the Lumias and iPhones, it is pretty much usable. Very unlike my S3 and Nexus 7 2012, both fit to be thrown into the bin.
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:17   #20484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In which case please take a very close look at the SAR values (Specific absorption rate). A phone with a high SAR so close to your heart is not advisable. The breast pocket is anyways not advisable place to keep a phone and even worse if the SAR is high.

Something I hadn't thought about at all.
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:23   #20485
BHPian

Quote:
The next time you come across them please check and update me. I would like to know whether I got unlucky.

<snip>...</snip>
I can confirm that there are no accessories other than the charger + USB cable + a pin to remove sim holder, with a new one plus one.(One of my cousin got one today).
Old 23rd January 2015, 06:08   #20486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I can confirm that there are no accessories other than the charger + USB cable + a pin to remove sim holder, with a new one plus one.(One of my cousin got one today).
Ditto.

We got our phone on the 2nd/3rd day it was launched in India so no "freebies" even then.
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:02   #20487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ditto.

We got our phone on the 2nd/3rd day it was launched in India so no "freebies" even then.
Thanks for confirming. Anyway I am running this one bare with no screen guard or case. This time I don't want to hide the design they made.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:35   #20488
BHPian

I just received a notification on my MotoG (1stGen) for Lollipop update. The download is 356MB and SLOOOWW.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:02   #20489
BHPian

Quote:
I just received a notification on my MotoG (1stGen) for Lollipop update. The download is 356MB and SLOOOWW.
It would be better to factory reset/format the phone prior and after the upgrade. Lollipop is not an extension of 4.X like from ICS to JB or KITKAt, its a major upgrade which even changes the bootloader.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:14   #20490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
It would be better to factory reset/format the phone prior and after the upgrade. Lollipop is not an extension of 4.X like from ICS to JB or KITKAt, its a major upgrade which even changes the bootloader.
But why not try and preserve the user data upfront, and format only if required? Unless he's rooting his phone and using Titanium backup, he'll lose enough app data that'll make it really annoying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks