Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 17:05   #20506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Upgraded Moto G 1st gen. Loving the update and phone is snappier and animations are smoother than earlier. Overall battery life has gone up by a margin.

Removed the phone from charger at 8, its at 70% as i write this message with 2 hours on screen time and 20 mins of voice calls. FB, Whatsapp, 5 PUSH email accounts syncing all the time and the usual NDTV notifications coming every 10 mins because of Obama visit to India.

Satisfied with the update.
Old 25th January 2015, 19:28   #20507
BANNED

I hear the Sprint htc One (M7) may get the upgrade in a week or two. Fingers crossed, since my previous htc Incredible 2 never got KitKat, and I changed phones.
Old 25th January 2015, 19:42   #20508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hear the Sprint htc One (M7) may get the upgrade in a week or two. Fingers crossed, since my previous htc Incredible 2 never got KitKat, and I changed phones.
If it does, that will be quite amazing, since American carriers are known to take their time with updates, and also because the newer M8 hasn't received the update yet.
Old 26th January 2015, 11:11   #20509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
If it does, that will be quite amazing, since American carriers are known to take their time with updates, and also because the newer M8 hasn't received the update yet.
The M7 is supposed to be following the M8 in about a week. So I am a bit more hopeful.
Old 26th January 2015, 12:04   #20510
Senior - BHPian

Got the Android Lollipop 5.0.2 update on my Moto G 1st gen.
The initial download was showing 350 odd MBs. After it downloaded 300mb, it went into installation mode. Then started showing errors. I thought it was because the phone was rooted.
I factory reset it, reinstalled Stock 4.4.4, then checked for update and got it installed.
Phone is definitely snappier, UI looks fine, although it seems too white. Google could have provided a dark/ inverted theme option as well. Battery life is slightly better than 4.4.4.
I re-rooted it and re-installed TWRP. So far so good. The only con I see is the Xposed framework is not yet available for Lollipop as of now. So we still cannot customise the stock Android 5, youtube ad block, dark tube, extended power menu etc don't work.

Any idea when they are rolling out the official OTA for Moto E in India?

Last edited by hrman : 26th January 2015 at 12:09.
Old 26th January 2015, 16:02   #20511
Senior - BHPian

Is the update carrier dependent?

I am using Moto G 1st Gen which I got from US and currently using it in Australia. I checked for update and I got the msg that I am using the up to date software. I am currently on 4.44.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1422268293288.jpg  

Old 26th January 2015, 22:02   #20512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

I am using Moto G 1st Gen which I got from US
Same with me. I think 1st gen us phones yet to get lollipop. It's only made available to us 2nd gen moto g
Old 26th January 2015, 22:19   #20513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

I am using Moto G 1st Gen which I got from US and currently using it in Australia. I checked for update and I got the msg that I am using the up to date software. I am currently on 4.44.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Same with me. I think 1st gen us phones yet to get lollipop. It's only made available to us 2nd gen moto g
I have 2nd gen Moto G but still getting same message.
Old 27th January 2015, 18:57   #20514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

My current "A-grade" want-it-but-be-practical choice would be the Xperia Z1 Compact. Perhaps its just that the Z3 Compact is overpriced, but it certainly makes the Z1-compact look like a good buy. What's the Z3-compact got that's worth an extra fifteen thousand!?

From comparisons on the net:

The good:
- a faster camera startup time.
- larger screen in the same body size.

The bad (IMO):
- on Z1 compact, there are separate flaps (for waterproofing) for the microUSB slot and the microSD slots. On the Z3 compact, it's one large flap
- 15k price difference

Before you put your money on either of these, as a Z1 compact user I have some comments about:
service:
- bear in mind that this phone, if sent for any h/w repairs (battery dead, etc.), is not repaired: you're given a refurbished phone.
So backing up your app-data is entirely up to you: Sony will not do that. And backing up isn't as trivial is it with iOS+iCloud.
- service lacks transparency: there's a clear disconnect at every stage.
These flagship devices that aren't repaired at regional service centres are mailed to the head office for inspection before you're approved a refurbished piece. And I think the free replacements are done only while your manufacturer warranty lasts (which is 1year for my Z1 compact)

user experience:
- perfect form factor for me. For anything more serious, I fire up the laptop and tether into the phone's network.
- excellent battery life. It's the reason why I switched in the first place.
- waterproof: Very good if you're on-call and need the phone with you in the shower (haha)

After having gone through this 7-days costing ordeal of getting a replacement because my battery wouldn't charge above 8%, I'm considering selling this off and getting myself an iphone 5S. I was using a 4S before I switched to the Z1 compact. I think I prefer a more responsive customer interaction such as Apple's over this.

Who knows how much I'll have to shell out if anything happens again to my Z1 compact when they run out of refurbished replacements and/or when I run of the warranty period (which is a month or two from now)? Still, excellent devices. If only I could trust its customer service some more. Apple has spoilt me.

Last edited by nareshov : 27th January 2015 at 18:59.
Old 27th January 2015, 21:05   #20515
Distinguished - BHPian

I have LG G2, it pairs well with my Polo GT's built-in bluetooth and I can make and receive calls. However, when I use google maps, it does not give me turn by turn audio directions while the phone is paired with the car bluetooth. I have to disconnect bluetooth to get the audio directions.

Any clue/suggestions?
Old 27th January 2015, 21:54   #20516
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried sygic? For me, even Google maps never gave audio instructions properly into my headset, while sygic works just fine.
Old 27th January 2015, 22:12   #20517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

Before you put your money on either of these, as a Z1 compact user I have some comments about:
service ...
Thank you for your entire post. My admiration of the Z1 Compact is of a fairly distant sort at this time. I had been thinking in terms of "Maybe, if and when new models, or obsolescence causes a further price drop..."

The service experience really does not sound good. Will remember that.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:41   #20518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Have you tried sygic? For me, even Google maps never gave audio instructions properly into my headset, while sygic works just fine.
No I haven't. Let me do that and update.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:24   #20519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Same was the case with me but on a recent drive, I was playing with some settings and was able to enable audio in Google maps.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:33   #20520
Senior - BHPian

How many of you feel the 1st Gen Moto G has gone slightly slower, ableit smoother with the lollipop update?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks