Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 13:22   #19756
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Present victim is a Sony Xperia M with its screen shattered couple of hours back.
Unrelated advice (incase you want to save the current phone) - try ebay.com for screen replacements. You will get a good deal there for displays and digitizers. I have bought a couple of them and replaced them myself when my DEFYs screen broke.

BTW, right now I am struggling with Sangeetas insurance to get my claim thru. Its a pain.
Old 14th November 2014, 13:41   #19757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
...try ebay.com for screen replacements. You will get a good deal there for displays and digitizers...
Thanks. I will try to figure out the damage after I get to see it in the evening. Since the phone is around 6 months old, it must be still under warranty. I have no clue about Sony service here. Will check the options and see if the phone can be repaired and sold or use it as my back up

Edit: I am not sure how a shattered glass is covered under warranty. As far as I understand, we dont get any benefit from warranty in this case, right ?

Last edited by shajufx : 14th November 2014 at 14:08.
Old 14th November 2014, 14:05   #19758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ahh... what a refreshing point of view!

The numbers are bigger and it looks different: it must be better, and any device that does not have it must be rubbish.

That's the sort of thing that drives that drives the Firefox guys, and I'm sticking on 27, because, no, I didn't want the interface changed; the MS people, who have to change stuff so that they can sell it to us again ...and again and again; the Ubuntu guys, who have to release according to the calendar, not according to whether it's worth it; and so on and on and on.
I stick with Firefox ESR (like LTS for Ubuntu), but they've also moved to version 31 which irritates me to no-end. Someone should fork Firefox and make it simpler again. Ubuntu's 6month upgrade cycle is what made me crazy, but you have the option to stick with LTS releases.

My Nexus 7 is used for complete experimentation. The only purpose it serves is as a recipe browser or for casual media consumption and it doesn't make a difference what OS it has or how often it's flashed.

Btw, Lollipop doesn't seem to offer any new customization options over KitKat. And on top of that some apps are still not available for Android L, one is "YouListen" I noticed this morning.
Old 14th November 2014, 14:11   #19759
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will try to figure out the damage after I get to see it in the evening. Since the phone is around 6 months old, it must be still under warranty. I have no clue about Sony service here. Will check the options and see if the phone can be repaired and sold or use it as my back up

Edit: I am not sure how a shattered glass is covered under warranty. As far as I understand, we dont get any benefit from warranty in this case, right ?
nope, you do not. And they might insist on changing the LCD display and digitizer.
One tip if you are getting it from ebay - prefer one with the body frame attached. I had trouble when I got the digitizer alone. Dust would go in however you stick the glass and the frame together.
Old 14th November 2014, 14:15   #19760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
nope, you do not. And they might insist on changing the LCD display and digitizer...
If thats the case, I would prefer to sell it 'as it is', as I don't have much time in India to fiddle around with gadgets
Old 14th November 2014, 16:34   #19761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone used this WOW brand cases ? I am finding it really solid ! Its on Flipkart listing.
Attachment 1308579
Shaju,

If you give that case to your wife - she will throw the case and phone away ! You will lose the Moto G. No lady will ever be seen with these cases that make the phone look ugly (not my words).

I speak from experience. Find another tough case but it should be more delicate looking.

All the best.
Old 14th November 2014, 16:57   #19762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
....I speak from experience. Find another tough case but it should be more delicate looking. All the best.
Thanks buddy for the tip. The order is already placed with snapdeal (Black color). She is from Mumbai and I will try to convince her to start a trend. I can guarantee she will give it a try UNTIL someone gives the link to this discussion
Old 14th November 2014, 17:00   #19763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But seriously, I am so done with all these stupid updates. how and why does it matter if you aren't on the latest and greatest? Its like cars. Does everyone always care about having the next 5 bhp extra? No!

I am happy with simple jelly bean stuff to be honest. I prefer a faster responsive device anyday.

I'm not a spec junkie either, you know.

My previous device was a little HTC Explorer, which stayed on gingerbread until I was forced to update to a newer version of android, because most of the apps I use (like the newer versions of Maps and Gmail) wouldn't work on GB anymore.

That said, the reason why I am going so gaga over Lollipop is because, other than the complete visual overhaul of android, it also has loads of nifty little features, more than 5000 new APIs, and in theory, it should make your device run faster and be more battery efficient.

I do hope it really is as good as they say it is.
Old 14th November 2014, 20:27   #19764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I'm not a spec junkie either, you know.

My previous device was a little HTC Explorer, which stayed on gingerbread until I was forced to update to a newer version of android, because most of the apps I use (like the newer versions of Maps and Gmail) wouldn't work on GB anymore.
That is because Google does not know how to keep consumers happy.

http://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201377

Apple lets you download the apps compatible with YOUR phone's version of iOS - just because most users buy a lot of apps, and they'd rather not break an ongoing gravy train for no reason!

AFAIK google doesnt support that option.
Old 15th November 2014, 11:31   #19765
BHPian

Lollipop on Nexus 7 (2012) is more or less unusable. The tablet now takes longer to boot on Lollipop compared to the time taken on KitKat. Also, everytime you wake the tablet from sleep, it takes a while for the OS to be responsive - it seems like the OS is saving apps data to NAND flash when in sleep and restores it to RAM when woken up. This could be due to battery improvement as part of Project Volta, but the result is a lot of waiting for stuff to come up.

Also, the lags that have been famous on this tablet have only got worse on Lollipop - I was really hoping Lollipop would have better memory management. Trying to multi-task is hopeless as you practically click-n-wait for apps to appear.

Using the browser to scroll a page takes a while as the screen jitters and the tablet lags. If you open a couple of tabs more than usual, the browser (Firefox) crashes.

I'm ditching Android L for a custom KitKat rom until CM12 arrives - what do you guys recommend for the Nexus 7 (2012) tablet?

Last edited by hellmet : 15th November 2014 at 11:32.
Old 15th November 2014, 12:12   #19766
BHPian

I have a nexus 7 2013 . No ota update yet. I will wait for it and then only can comment.
Old 15th November 2014, 12:16   #19767
BHPian

Anyone using a Android Wear device? There were a few good deals on the LG G Watch... Thought of giving it a shot.
Old 15th November 2014, 13:00   #19768
BHPian

Anyone on this forum who got Lollipop update on their Moto G 2nd edition.
Old 15th November 2014, 14:35   #19769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Yep. Downloaded the image and has scheduled the activity today evening.
Installed Lollipop on Nexus 5 and not much difference from developer preview except for some health and office apps. Pity some apps are still not made for Lollipop like MXPlayer.
Old 15th November 2014, 14:42   #19770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Installed Lollipop on Nexus 5 and not much difference from developer preview except for some health and office apps. Pity some apps are still not made for Lollipop like MXPlayer.
Did you see any improvement in battery life ?
I am yet to find any improvement so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks