Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 17:40   #19891
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I've spent 2 days with Lollipop now and man does it suck! Using it on Nexus 4
Elaborate on this. I downloaded the 5.0 update on my Nexus 4, not sure why I am waiting to install it
Old 28th November 2014, 18:03   #19892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Elaborate on this. I downloaded the 5.0 update on my Nexus 4, not sure why I am waiting to install it
Issues faced so far:
1. Gmail hangs and I have to force close it, has happened about 4-5 times.
2. On the recent call screen when I touch the contact name, instead of making the call it shows two more options for 'Call Back' and 'Details'. Details could've been set to appear on long press, its an extra touch and the 'Call Back' text is small here.
3. Instead of the black theme its all blue now, hate this dull blue color scheme.
4. Response time in general is slower compared to previous version, be it opening recent calls or contacts or messaging.
5. The overall black theme that was prevalent across all other screens such as Setting etc. is now replaced with white background and teal-colored icons, yuck!
6. Not all Power Toggles work with 5.0, like cellular data, airplane mode etc.
7. The clear notifications button now appears just below the notifications. Depending on the no. of notifications it shifts places and is hard to pinpoint as visibility is lowered due to different background now.
8. Gallery is replaced by Photos. Gallery was faster and way more structured than Photos which is slower to load and the albums in it aren't as easy to navigate compared to Gallery. Photos is connected to your account and everytime I have to go to pics in my device I have to explicitly select that option.
9. The recent app screen now shows bigger snapshots of screens which are overlapping instead of being stacked on top of one another so to navigate to another app which is way up top I need to carefully move through recent app window.
10. All in all I was expecting them to make this every more user-friendly and minimal but they just ruined it for me at least.

Good things -
1. When you get a call while in an app the screen isn't replaced with calling screen but you get a small notification up top where you can answer or dismiss the call. Its like Halo (if you know what it is) but only works for incoming calls and not for whatsapp or other apps.
2. Notifications appear on the lock screen now. For me they've actually ruined the minimalistic lockscreen but I reckon most guys wanted everything on the lockscreen so it might be a good thing.

Enough ranting on 5.0 today!

EDIT: Let me just add that if this is how 5.0 looks for another 1-2 months then I have no option but to get a custom ROM on it. I have already used couple of custom ROMs but kitkat's black theme and minimal experience was what pulled me. With 5.0 I think I have to go to Cataclysm or Purity, such sweet ROMs they are!

Last edited by fine69 : 28th November 2014 at 18:08.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:14   #19893
BHPian

My views below. (I am on Nexus 5 though)
Quote:
Issues faced so far:
1. Gmail hangs and I have to force close it, has happened about 4-5 times.

Not sure about this. I use Google Inbox instead of Gmail. It doesn't crash.

2. On the recent call screen when I touch the contact name, instead of making the call it shows two more options for 'Call Back' and 'Details'. Details could've been set to appear on long press, its an extra touch and the 'Call Back' text is small here.

Completely agree with this irritating change.

4. Response time in general is slower compared to previous version, be it opening recent calls or contacts or messaging.

No perceptible difference in my case.
5. The overall black theme that was prevalent across all other screens such as Setting etc. is now replaced with white background and teal-colored icons, yuck!

I hate that white background for App Drawer. Anyway to change it??

6. Not all Power Toggles work with 5.0, like cellular data, airplane mode etc.

On Kitkat, long press of the power button used to have options for airplane mode, silent etc. Now all it has is "Power off". This is the worst feature drop in Lollipop as far as I am concerned.

7. The clear notifications button now appears just below the notifications. Depending on the no. of notifications it shifts places and is hard to pinpoint as visibility is lowered due to different background now.

Exactly. If there are too many notifications, first have to scroll all the way down and then only clear everything. Bad!

8. Gallery is replaced by Photos. Gallery was faster and way more structured than Photos which is slower to load and the albums in it aren't as easy to navigate compared to Gallery. Photos is connected to your account and everytime I have to go to pics in my device I have to explicitly select that option.

Well, got used to Photos much before. So no change.

9. The recent app screen now shows bigger snapshots of screens which are overlapping instead of being stacked on top of one another so to navigate to another app which is way up top I need to carefully move through recent app window.

Agreed. But I heard there is some setting somewhere that would change this. Not sure where to look though. Help?
Old 28th November 2014, 18:20   #19894
BHPian

Maybe few of the good things of Android 5.0 have been missed by you guys?
Look at here : http://www.computerworld.com/article...-features.html

There are many other cool things, search for them.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:24   #19895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
My views below. (I am on Nexus 5 though)
Inbox is nice but doesn't have a widget that I can place on one of my home screens. I use 3 mail accounts (personal and 2 business) so unless there's a handy widget for Inbox, it wouldn't work for me.

Since photos is connected to the account it takes a second to probably fetch the latest pictures and which is why its slower. Not to mention, the default view cannot be changed to load pics on the device. I have to do this from side menu always.

If someone has used either of the popular custom ROMs they wouldn't be able to live with lollipop for too long. I mean either make the phone so customizable that you start competing with a ROM like PA or keep it fast and minimal. Whoever worked on the interface bit of 5.0 needs to be replaced, and fast!

EDIT: @tbppjpr: I had seen this article (or a similar one) last week. Pinning is nonsense, one's gotta use it to know why its nonsense.

Guest access is one great feature that I completely forgot about, depends how you look at it. Second good thing is priority feature, but I wonder what happens to the other calls when only starred contacts are allowed to interrupt me.

Last edited by fine69 : 28th November 2014 at 18:35.
Old 28th November 2014, 19:33   #19896
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: @tbppjpr: I had seen this article (or a similar one) last week. Pinning is nonsense, one's gotta use it to know why its nonsense.
Different actions happen when we tap a contact at different places in the Kitkat recent call page.

For example if I tap at left part of the contact, it shows a popup with few details of the contact person. If I tap at right part having clock sign then it shows that particular call's details. If I tap in center of the contact where contact person name is visible then it dials the number in one touch.

Did you try taping different parts of a contact in the recent list in the Android 5.0?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 28th November 2014 at 19:35.
Old 28th November 2014, 19:37   #19897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Different actions happen when we tap a contact at different places in the Kitkat recent call page.

For example if I tap at left part of the contact, it shows a popup with few details of the contact person. If I tap at right part having clock sign then it shows that particular call's details. If I tap in center of the contact where contact person name is visible then it dials the number in one touch.

Did you try taping different parts of a contact in the recent list in the Android 5.0?
See, that's how great the recent calls screen was with kitkat.

Yes I did try tapping, long pressing and what not, they've ruined it, BELIEVE MEEEEEE!
Old 28th November 2014, 21:00   #19898
BHPian

Had a terrible experience upgrading to Lollipop on my Nexus 4.
After update was stuck on bouncing ball screen for 4 hours.
Cleared cache. Another 2 hours on bouncing ball screen.
Finally did a factory reset and had it working.

Well the good thing is it restored all the apps I had installed. All local data was gone though.
Old 28th November 2014, 21:03   #19899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Do a clean install and you will be fine. By clean I mean using factory images which wipes your phone completely. Dad is using it on his N4. Runs butter smooth.
Old 28th November 2014, 23:15   #19900
BHPian

Guys, facing a typical issue on my Moto G 2nd gen which is on 4.4.4. When I select a contact for a call, the screen goes blank with white in color having a circle rotating in the center of the screen for couple of seconds. After 2-3 seconds, the actual call dialling process happens.

Tried searching on the net. Any possible solutions for this. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th November 2014, 04:23   #19901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys, facing a typical issue on my Moto G 2nd gen which is on 4.4.4. When I select a contact for a call, the screen goes blank with white in color having a circle rotating in the center of the screen for couple of seconds. After 2-3 seconds, the actual call dialling process happens.

Tried searching on the net. Any possible solutions for this. Thanks in advance.
Have a suggestion. I have the option in Samsung phones, not sure if it is the same with Motorola.

When I open the Contacts menu, there is option of what contact to display.
By default, it is set to Google, WhatsApp, EMail and Device contacts.

So what happens is, when the contacts list is opened, it possibly tries to contact to the internet to refresh the list of Google, Whatsapp and EMail contacts, alongwith Device contacts.
This would cause a momentary delay in displaying all the content/contact list.

So I have un-selected those options and set to search only Device contacts.

See the screenshots below:

Name:  Screenshot_20141129041822.png
Views: 616
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  20141129 04.20.50.png
Views: 613
Size:  104.2 KB

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 29th November 2014 at 04:25.
Old 29th November 2014, 07:34   #19902
BHPian

Bad news for those who were looking for One Plus One:

The OnePlus One will ship without Cyanogenmod in India
Old 29th November 2014, 08:28   #19903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Have a suggestion. I have the option in Samsung phones, not sure if it is the same with Motorola..
Thanks for the quick response. The issue is not when opening contacts, but when a contact is selected for a call from the call log screen.

Usually, when a contact is selected, the dialler should immediately start dialling that particular contact. But, in my phone's case, after the contact is selected, there is a pause with a white screen for 2-3 seconds before the calling screen appears. I'll try to post the screen shots shortly. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2014, 08:43   #19904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The issue is not when opening contacts, but when a contact is selected for a call from the call log screen.

Usually, when a contact is selected, the dialler should immediately start dialling that particular contact. But, in my phone's case, after the contact is selected, there is a pause with a white screen for 2-3 seconds before the calling screen appears. I'll try to post the screen shots shortly. Thanks.
This just means that your phone is hanging. I used to get this on my S3 when using a NoteII ROM (which was designed for a 2GB RAM phone, mine is 1!). Try using the memory usage app to see how much memory is in use when this happens.

A simpler quick fix may be to try any other contacts app (say exdialer old versions). If that works fine, then its not a phone issue but an app issue.

tried clearing cache/data for the dialer app?

In recent programs, long click on dialer -> app info -> force stop and clear data/cache etc.
HTH

If the phone is overloaded, then see what programs are unnecessarily running in memory usage (e.g amazon's app is an auto-starting hog). Root the phone. install titanium backup or such. freeze all these memory hogging apps (lower memory priority number afaik).

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th November 2014 at 08:52.
Old 29th November 2014, 09:45   #19905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Bad news for those who were looking for One Plus One:

The OnePlus One will ship without Cyanogenmod in India
So it is their turn to beg, err I mean invite now

It seems like the phone will come with CM. But will not get any future updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks