Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 23:06   #19741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
No. You won't get OTA from the developer preview.

Damn. What are my options now? How do i go back to kitkat? Factory reset?
Old 13th November 2014, 23:13   #19742
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But seriously, I am so done with all these stupid updates. how and why does it matter if you aren't on the latest and greatest? Its like cars. Does everyone always care about having the next 5 bhp extra? No!

I am happy with simple jelly bean stuff to be honest. I prefer a faster responsive device anyday.
Ahh... what a refreshing point of view!

The numbers are bigger and it looks different: it must be better, and any device that does not have it must be rubbish.

That's the sort of thing that drives that drives the Firefox guys, and I'm sticking on 27, because, no, I didn't want the interface changed; the MS people, who have to change stuff so that they can sell it to us again ...and again and again; the Ubuntu guys, who have to release according to the calendar, not according to whether it's worth it; and so on and on and on.
Old 14th November 2014, 09:57   #19743
Senior - BHPian

Experts here please help: I want to buy the 4th phone for my wife in a short time, hope she does not see this thread/post ever She is bit careless when it comes to gadgets and cars. Drops, scrapes, panels coming off, metal reshaping on its own, buttons getting jammed, handsfree missing forever etc. the list is endless. (Friends who know her must link my frustration to the Fiesta door change, Nano rear bumper change etc)

Coming to the point: It must be Android, sturdy, cheap (below 10k) and must take unusually long calls without heating up, battery ideally last for an entire day.

Any suggestions, highly appreciated
Old 14th November 2014, 10:16   #19744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Coming to the point: It must be Android, sturdy, cheap (below 10k) and must take unusually long calls without heating up, battery ideally last for an entire day.
Moto! E if you want to stick to your budget, G(gen 2) if you can increase it by 3k.

Solid build quality - get a bumper case for additional protection and you are all set.
Weak point is camera. Avoid E if camera is important.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:21   #19745
BHPian

Quote:
She is bit careless when it comes to gadgets and cars. Drops, scrapes, panels coming off, metal reshaping on its own, buttons getting jammed, handsfree missing forever etc. the list is endless. ...

It must be Android, sturdy, cheap (below 10k) and must take unusually long calls without heating up, battery ideally last for an entire day.
Wish there had been phones like Motorola Defy available today, that phone fits perfectly in your requirement. Unfortunately no such phone in this price bracket. And these days phone size has grown to massively larger which just increases risk of easy damages during drop outs

Search for more videos of such test, there are plenty. One of relative had a Defy which was alive till he exchanged it with Moto G 2nd gen despite of lot of abuses in the last 3-4 years it had gone through. Only volume button got broken during one of the nasty and unfortunate drop put.

Still you can think of Moto E, nowhere near to Defy series but better durability can be expected compared to others in similar price bracket. Or if you are not hell bent on latest version of Android then you can think about finding left out stock of Defy+/Defy XT online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
G(gen 2) if you can increase it by 3k.
I would rather vote for G 1st since its still available. That feels better built compared to G2 and bigger size of G2 is disadvantage for the glass protection. Bigger size/span = added risk and more protection required.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 14th November 2014 at 10:44.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:38   #19746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Damn. What are my options now? How do i go back to kitkat? Factory reset?
Take a backup and directly flash the lollipop factory image.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:40   #19747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Take a backup and directly flash the lollipop factory image.
Yep. Downloaded the image and has scheduled the activity today evening.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:26   #19748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Wish there had been phones like Motorola Defy available today, that phone fits perfectly in your requirement. Unfortunately no such phone in this price bracket. And these days phone size has grown to massively larger which just increases risk of easy damages during drop outs
the Defy was an awesome phone which was extremely rugged. Motorola phones generally have great durability.

Quote:
Experts here please help: I want to buy the 4th phone for my wife in a short time

As everyone else has said, Moto G would be a good bet. I'd recommend investing in a rugged case if you are comfortable with using one. You could get something like the Otterbox Defender, better to spend 3k extra than spending 10k again in a couple of months.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:35   #19749
Team-BHP Support

If budget is hard stop then get the Moto E. If you can stretch get the Moto G second gen.

In between option is to get the 1st gen Moto G at Rs.9,999.

Vs gen 2 Moto G you will get smaller screen, 5MP camera and no card slot.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:12   #19750
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have placed an order for Moto G (1st Gen) with Flipkart. I could stretch the budget, but not doing that because I have been placing an order for her every 6 months, no matter how tough the phone is

Just checking a solid rubber case which can 'kill the looks' of the phone but protect it like the F1 drivers suite on track

Last edited by shajufx : 14th November 2014 at 12:14.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:23   #19751
BHPian

Quote:
I could stretch the budget, but not doing that because I have been placing an order for her every 6 months, no matter how tough the phone is
Though you have made up your mind to go for Moto G and time will tell us how long the Moto G can sustain in hands of your wife, would like to know which were those previous unlucky and incompetent phones who got to meet premature death?
Old 14th November 2014, 12:26   #19752
BHPian

Quote:

Just checking a solid rubber case which can 'kill the looks' of the phone but protect it like the F1 drivers suite on track
try this ballistic case, not sure if it's available in India or not. Maybe on ebay.in
http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Sg-C...ballistic+case
Old 14th November 2014, 12:27   #19753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have placed an order for Moto G (1st Gen) with Flipkart. I could stretch the budget, but not doing that because I have been placing an order for her every 6 months, no matter how tough the phone is

If you place an order for her once in every six months, stretch the budget really and get her a CAT B15Q - I think it will cost about 25K and I dont think it is available in India (but available in US and UK) but that is one tough phone you can bank on (based on reviews and real life user comments).

The Original moto cases are good for casual bumps. Do take a look at otterbox covers also (http://in.mobilefun.com/42630-otterb...to-g-black.htm) (had one for my blackberry and it was really tough).

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 14th November 2014 at 12:32.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:33   #19754
BHPian

Quote:

AH, may I add Asus Zenfone to the mix as well? It has a front cam and the main camera does have auto focus. Bought one for my mom. Costs 5999.

BTW - I have a similar situation, so I bought a phone from Sangeeta for my wife as it comes with one year insurance protection against breakage, water etc.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:44   #19755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
....previous unlucky and incompetent phones who got to meet premature death?
Will update in 6 months ! I have no track on brands, my original post above was an approx calculation, but I think this is the 5th buy in a pattern. All the phones were in the 10k to 20k range. Present victim is a Sony Xperia M with its screen shattered couple of hours back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
...Do take a look at otterbox covers also (http://in.mobilefun.com/42630-otterb...to-g-black.htm) (had one for my blackberry and it was really tough)
Doing that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
..so I bought a phone from Sangeeta for my wife as it comes with one year insurance protection against breakage, water etc.
I am pampered with the online shopping comforts. No traffic, no parking issues, no bargain at the counter, time saving etc.

Anyone used this WOW brand cases ? I am finding it really solid ! Its on Flipkart listing.
Name:  wow.png
Views: 686
Size:  225.8 KB

Most Viewed