Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 11:44   #27241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Go for Nokia 7 plus , it will also get Android P beta, very soon, as per the Google I/O event.
Doesn’t have water resistance. Else, it would be a hit.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:00   #27242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Doesn’t have water resistance. Else, it would be a hit.
I think most of the phones in this price bracket lack water resistance.
Old 9th May 2018, 14:23   #27243
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Hi BHPians,
Searching for a new phone to replace my 3 year old Moto g3 which is shutting down randomly at 10 - 20%. My budget is around 20k but can extend to 25-26k if needed.

Requirements in order of pref:
1. Has to have a good camera, since I can't carry my DSLR all the time.
2. Good clean audio from the audio jack, my car doesn't have Bluetooth and powerful output for aux would be a bonus.
3. Fast, snappy performance for at least 2 years.
4. Water resistance.
5. Updates for 2 years at least, till Android P - dont really want to play with custom ROMs, I have been using them in my moto for the past year, but most have a bug - camera or battery life or some other issue.

Any good 2017 flagship I could go for? My current shortlist is Samsung S7, Nokia 8/7 plus, Honor view 10/ 8 pro, Moto X4.

Nokia 8 - is the autofocus really that bad? Saw some samples in previous pages. Any feedback about the 7 plus' performance?
Samsung S7- does the phone start lagging after a year? Superb camera & display though.
Honor 8 pro/ View 10 - will it be upgraded beyond Oreo? Camera has been praised a lot. Not a fan of EMUI though
Any other options? Samsung A8/LG G6/Moto G6 plus/Redmi note 5 pro - any feedback from any of these
If you are considering Honor phones, then I would suggest wait for the latest Honor 10 to launch. It will be available next week. It's supposed to be the Oneplus 6 killer as per them.

https://www.flipkart.com/honor-10-in...e-phones-store

I had seen the slightly older Honor 8 Pro being available at 23k a few days ago, which I think is fantastic value for the features it has. Regular updates are a concern though.

If regular Android updates and a great camera are top priorities, then nothing beats the Google Pixel 2. It's going to be available for 35k from 13th May (on Flipkart), and believe me, it is worth the stretch. The camera on that is just mindblowing.

The Nokias seem decent as well, though I would personally pick the Nokia 8 over the Nokia 7 Plus.

Last edited by Oxy : 9th May 2018 at 14:39.
Old 9th May 2018, 14:39   #27244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

If regular Android updates and a great camera are top priorities, then nothing beats the Google Pixel 2. It's going to be available for 35k from 13th May, and believe me, it is worth the stretch. The camera on that is just mindblowing.

The Nokias seem decent as well, though I would personally pick the Nokia 8 over the Nokia 7 Plus.
Pixel 2 sure is tempting at 35k though I would be stretching my budget quite a bit.
Is it worth buying Samsung S7 now in 2018 at 29k?
Honor 8 pro/view 10/ honor 10 are the next best options, though Honor's upgrade cycle is quite slow, maybe they would upgrade their flagship
Old 9th May 2018, 15:07   #27245
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Pixel 2 sure is tempting at 35k though I would be stretching my budget quite a bit.
Is it worth buying Samsung S7 now in 2018 at 29k?
Honor 8 pro/view 10/ honor 10 are the next best options, though Honor's upgrade cycle is quite slow, maybe they would upgrade their flagship
Personally I don't really care about Android version updates. My two plus year old Redmi Note 3 still runs on Marshmallow (though the MIUI skin receives regular version updates).

Samsung S7 though is a great phone but I have seen it going for like 22k a few months ago. Seems overpriced at 29k, and it's on it's last legs too as far as updates are concerned I would think. A better alternative to that would be the iPhone SE in my opinion if a small screen does not bother you.

My advice to you would be to pick up the Pixel 2 - it caters to all your needs, you cannot go wrong with it. I know it's a bit of a stretch but if immediate payment is a problem, you can always go for zero cost EMIs which Flipkart offers regularly.

The next best option like you said - Honor 10 or Oneplus 6. With the introductory credit card launch offers/discounts, these would be slightly more than your budget too (in the 30k range) but still less expensive than the Pixel 2.

EDIT - The Pixel 2, like most latest phones, doesn't have a headphone jack. You would need a connector that goes inside the charging port (which essentially means you cannot charge your phone while playing music). If that is a priority then wait for the Honor 10 / Oneplus 6.

Last edited by Oxy : 9th May 2018 at 15:22.
Old 9th May 2018, 16:17   #27246
BHPian

Quote:
If regular Android updates and a great camera are top priorities, then nothing beats the Google Pixel 2. It's going to be available for 35k from 13th May (on Flipkart), and believe me, it is worth the stretch. The camera on that is just mindblowing.
I am looking for a camera which gives good portraits with the camera and pixel 2 XL was on shortlist along with Iphonex. Never new that Pixel 2 also had the same camera.

Hey Oxy, where did you see that the Pixel 2 is priced @ 35k. Right now it is 45k on flipkart after the HDFC cashback deal. I can't find any news about 35K price.

I am seriously considering Pixel only for the camera and the unlimited storage of fullsized pictures
Old 9th May 2018, 16:57   #27247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I am looking for a camera which gives good portraits with the camera and pixel 2 XL was on shortlist along with Iphonex. Never new that Pixel 2 also had the same camera.

Hey Oxy, where did you see that the Pixel 2 is priced @ 35k. Right now it is 45k on flipkart after the HDFC cashback deal. I can't find any news about 35K price.

I am seriously considering Pixel only for the camera and the unlimited storage of fullsized pictures
Flipkart will be having its next sale from 13th onwards, Pixel is priced at 34,999 and Samsung S8 is at 37,990
Old 9th May 2018, 17:01   #27248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,
Searching for a new phone to replace my 3 year old Moto g3 which is shutting down randomly at 10 - 20%. My budget is around 20k but can extend to 25-26k if needed.

2. Good clean audio from the audio jack, my car doesn't have Bluetooth and powerful output for aux would be a bonus.
4. Water resistance.
5. Updates for 2 years at least, till Android P - dont really want to play with custom ROMs, I have been using them in my moto for the past year, but most have a bug - camera or battery life or some other issue.

Any good 2017 flagship I could go for? My current shortlist is Samsung S7, Nokia 8/7 plus, Honor view 10/ 8 pro, Moto X4.

Nokia 8 - is the autofocus really that bad? Saw some samples in previous pages. Any feedback about the 7 plus' performance?
Samsung S7- does the phone start lagging after a year? Superb camera & display though.
Honor 8 pro/ View 10 - will it be upgraded beyond Oreo? Camera has been praised a lot. Not a fan of EMUI though
Any other options? Samsung A8/LG G6/Moto G6 plus/Redmi note 5 pro - any feedback from any of these
LG G6:
Unbeatable audio DAC if you have a good collection of FLACs. Otherwise wasted.Oh and it has a memory card slot.
Good camera and the secondary wide angle saves a lot of trouble at times.
It is understandably dated now, having only the SD821 processor.
It is IP68 certified - dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
Lucky to get Oreo on it. Forget P.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:12   #27249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
LG G6:
Unbeatable audio DAC if you have a good collection of FLACs. Otherwise wasted.Oh and it has a memory card slot.
Good camera and the secondary wide angle saves a lot of trouble at times.
It is understandably dated now, having only the SD821 processor.
It is IP68 certified - dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
Lucky to get Oreo on it. Forget P.
Right, G6 looks like a great option along with pixel. That quad DAC along with the IP68 are great options to have, only if LG wasn't so lazy wrt updates.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:18   #27250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right, G6 looks like a great option along with pixel. That quad DAC along with the IP68 are great options to have, only if LG wasn't so lazy wrt updates.
My v20 was stuck at 7.0 and September patch! Got a v30 now. It is at 7.1 and March patch.

But apparently LG has a new division only to push speedy updates. One can only hope.

Lovely phones they make but goes under the radar for most. Oh and it has Dolby vision with HDR as well.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:29   #27251
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Here it is:

https://www.flipkart.com/mobile-big-...e_HSR8VUGJR6QB
Old 9th May 2018, 18:34   #27252
BHPian

Quote:
Flipkart will be having its next sale from 13th onwards, Pixel is priced at 34,999 and Samsung S8 is at 37,990
Quote:
Found it guys thanks. Looks like the Pixel 2 XL is also on sale. time to plan for them
Old 9th May 2018, 20:05   #27253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Same old. Haven't tried changing it because newer ones might not be as stable as this.
Ok, I'm going to download that again for regular camera use, for the portrait pictures the bokeh mode of stock Nokia app seems to be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Pink? I have always had a blue background since I got the phone. For calls from/to second sim, there is an orange background.
Yeah man, PINK! Same on the 6.1 I purchase last month. Haven't been able to change it just yet.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180509194747-large.png

Quote:
4. Water resistance.
The Nokia 8 meets all of your above criteria. The Nokia 7+ would be the other option if water resistance can be skipped.

Quote:
If you are referring to the recent picture samples I posted, those were due to kaput stabilizer unit on the main camera. The Nokia 8 camera is terrific but not wow, everything else (especially for the current price point) is simply stellar.

Quote:
I was using an S5 prior to the Nokia 8, and in October last year the plan was to get an S7 on one of those 22K deals on flipkart until I used the Nexus 4 (bone stock blazing fast android) and then Viddy put me onto the Nokia 8. Briefly I went back on the Samsung OS whilst Nokia replaced the camera on my Nokia and I can't tell you how much I missed the stock android on the Nokia.
Get the S7 if you really need that extra edge in the camera, for almost everything else the Nokia 8 blows the S7 out of the water.

Last edited by manson : 9th May 2018 at 20:07.
Old 9th May 2018, 20:32   #27254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Ok, I'm going to download that again for regular camera use, for the portrait pictures the bokeh mode of stock Nokia app seems to be much better.
I just point and click. No bokeh vokeh or bothie vothie for me.

Quote:
Yeah man, PINK! Same on the 6.1 I purchase last month. Haven't been able to change it just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In all the dual SIM phones that I have had, these colours are configurable - in case you didn't know.
How to change background color of the calling screen?

Quote:
Nokia 8 camera hardware is pretty good for both indoor (low light) and outdoor use. Take a look at color reproduction in these samples -

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180206_192227.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180415_171423.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th May 2018 at 20:47.
Old 9th May 2018, 21:04   #27255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

The Nokia 8 meets all of your above criteria. The Nokia 7+ would be the other option if water resistance can be skipped.

If you are referring to the recent picture samples I posted, those were due to kaput stabilizer unit on the main camera. The Nokia 8 camera is terrific but not wow, everything else (especially for the current price point) is simply stellar.

I was using an S5 prior to the Nokia 8, and in October last year the plan was to get an S7 on one of those 22K deals on flipkart until I used the Nexus 4 (bone stock blazing fast android) and then Viddy put me onto the Nokia 8. Briefly I went back on the Samsung OS whilst Nokia replaced the camera on my Nokia and I can't tell you how much I missed the stock android on the Nokia.
Get the S7 if you really need that extra edge in the camera, for almost everything else the Nokia 8 blows the S7 out of the water.
Thanks for the feedback Manson, I was leaning quite a bit towards Nokia 8, was apprehensive towards the camera issue almost all the reviewers were talking about, so are the forums. Snapdragon 835 at this price with Android one is a steal!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks