Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 16:59   #4741
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
woah. ADW launcher in CM7 does not have it. Which launcher?
CM7, Go Launcher. But this is an app called "TouchPal Dialer" which is faster than Go Dialer. This contact view is part of that app.

BTW, I tried sending contact as a vCard from my friend's stock Nexus S and it does have that option. Hard press on an item in call history, Select "View contact" (or open the contact directly from contacts) and press menu - you have it there.

EDIT:
Quote:
phone advise or marriage advise?!!
Oops.. didn't notice this quote initially. Well this applies for both doesn't it?

Last edited by clevermax : 12th July 2011 at 17:06.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:59   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Please think aaram se. else u'll have another A10 on your hands! Don't impulse buy. What are we here for?
Oh, that was shrewdly targetted at me too!?
--
Alternative to letsbuy - you can also use rajan's trick to get good off on the phone.

Ace.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:14   #4743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You mean Brut Maps right? Please give BETTER instructions than XDA. have gone mad trying to get it work. Failed, so resorted to battery hog Sygic with MMI. Works beautifully, except that 1 journey of 1 hour drains my battery FULLY.
I meant google offline maps. Thanks for pointing out a new item - Brut maps? You've just given the weekend TP. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
For the listed Budget i would advise any of the 3 below phones depending on your use age and liking. Let me clarify that i am not a android user but have friends who are using one of each and hence i get a lot of play around.

1. HTC WILDFIRE S (INR 13499)
2. MOTOROLA DEFY (INR 15799)
3. SAMSUNG GOOGLE NEXUS ONE. (INR 19999)

Prices in bracket are the priced list on www.letsbuy.com
You can use the coupon code icicilb during check out and avail a further benefit of ~1200 rs.
I will rule out out the wildfire simply because of the screen. atleast an 800x480 is required for that budget.

also consider desire/desire Z (if available), mi410 (liked this review - decently done). Nexus S, you meant, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
CM7, Go Launcher. But this is an app called "TouchPal Dialer" which is faster than Go Dialer. This contact view is part of that app.

BTW, I tried sending contact as a vCard from my friend's stock Nexus S and it does have that option. Hard press on an item in call history, Select "View contact" (or open the contact directly from contacts) and press menu - you have it there.

EDIT:

Oops.. didn't notice this quote initially. Well this applies for both doesn't it?
Hmm - another launcher. You advise the Go launcher over the ADW? I've been yearning for a change all this while. Let me upgrade to the latest nightly and then now a new launcher. which is the lightest launcher?

@advise -

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Oh, that was shrewdly targetted at me too!?
--
Alternative to letsbuy - you can also use rajan's trick to get good off on the phone.

Ace.
no man - I hate people buying phones without thinking - esp when they can buy very capable phones with a bit of survey. Of course I am a compulsive research-a-holic
and i'm always scared of that indiaplaza voucher fundae. almost got me jhapped with the iPad purchase (planned via them)

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th July 2011 at 17:21.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:17   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm - another launcher. You advise the Go launcher over the ADW? I've been yearning for a change all this while. Let me upgrade to the latest nightly and then now a new launcher. which is the lightest launcher?
I highly recommend Go Launcher. It used to eat battery some months back, and I uninstalled it then. The present day versions consume very less battery and its like ADW in that respect. But the UI is much more smooth and you have more options and better theme support. (Icons will even get overlayed with theme graphics.)

Just go with the Go!
Old 12th July 2011, 17:17   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant google offline maps. Thanks for pointing out a new item - Brut maps? You've just given the weekend TP. Will keep you posted.
BRUT maps kinda enables Google Maps to get offline capabilities. You have to 'pre-fetch' or 'cahce' maps of your interest area and save them on the SD card. Bas, you are good to go! Search XDA for this.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:19   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will rule out out the wildfire simply because of the screen. atleast an 800x480 is required for that budget.

also consider desire/desire Z (if available), mi410 (liked this review - decently done). Nexus S, you meant, right?
Ya. Sorry for the Typo. I meant Nexus S.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:20   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Please think aaram se. else u'll have another A10 on your hands! Don't impulse buy. What are we here for?

why not a used optimus 2x?
Please suggest one.
Dropped the plans of buying this evening, thanks to the traffic in Bangalore in the evenings.

Wife will not allow me to buy a seconds :(
Old 12th July 2011, 18:24   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
BRUT maps kinda enables Google Maps to get offline capabilities. You have to 'pre-fetch' or 'cahce' maps of your interest area and save them on the SD card. Bas, you are good to go! Search XDA for this.
I am actually more interested in voice turn by turn navigation. Is there a hack to enable both navigation as well as offline maps?
Old 12th July 2011, 18:32   #4749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911

I am actually more interested in voice turn by turn navigation. Is there a hack to enable both navigation as well as offline maps?
Brut maps does have the voice turn by turn navigation. I am using that.

Actually the 'hack' in brut maps is that it enables navigation for a lot of other countries other than US

Last edited by clevermax : 12th July 2011 at 18:34.
Old 12th July 2011, 18:38   #4750
Senior - BHPian

HTC EVO 3D is in my hands. The World's 1st (proper) 3D Phone is now working for us in India (on cdma - Reliance).
Detailed Review will be coming up here - Review: Sprint HTC EVO 3D - World's 1st (Proper) 3D Phone - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

Initial Observations -
1. Build quality is top notch; better than Samsung's Epic
2. 4.3 inch screen is brilliant
3. 3D photos watching is a pain on the eyes but movies is another matter all together
4. Though it is half the depth of Epic, feels heavier and solid like steel (though fully plastic)
5. Sound Volume seems lower than Epic
6. Soft buttons 100 times better than Epic (my main grouse); same like Incredible
7. Plastic Battery cover is like pappad but after closing feels solid
8. OTA to 2.3.3 (ver 1.13.651.7) has started automatically on wifi
9. Gingerbread + Sense interface is just awesome and beats any Samsung/Moto interface hollow
10. FOR ALL 3D PHONE CRITICS - Watching Green Hornet in 3D (free download via wifi on the phone) is just F AWESOME. No Eye Strain at all. This tRuly has to be the biggest selling point of the phone that 3D in movies and games actually works on this phone. Volume is a little low (as was in Epic for movies). Headphones needed. Sorry - Formatting is not correcting. I tried 3 times. Neither are attachments uploading. Hence the imageshack links.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th July 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Post edited for readability + deleted externally hosted pics. Check note in post.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 19:30   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
www.letsbuy.com
You can use the coupon code icicilb during check out and avail a further benefit of ~1200 rs.
In between I have 10 coupons that I have received from letsbuy. 10% discount upto Rs. 1899. So anyone placing order more than 1200 can get use this instead of icicilb

PM for the coupons

Also I checked GPS again today on the NH4 Pune to Bhor. It was working absolutely fine and picking up the signal in an instant. Yesterday I had only the GPS opn but today i selected wireless networks which seem to do the trick.

Browsing on the nexus S is cool. But have to get used to the autocorrect though.

I tried using teambhp app but it was not allowing me to do mutliquote

@clevermax, I want to root the phone to find roms for better battery usage and also to use Voodoo control, I need a new kernel. And NExus S, from the reviews performs even better with various ROMs. So as long as I don't brick, it should be fun

@phamilyman, I am planning to root the phone so I will do check that GPS option as well
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 20:04   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
In between I have 10 coupons that I have received from letsbuy. 10% discount upto Rs. 1899. So anyone placing order more than 1200 can get use this instead of icicilb

PM for the coupons
Hi

This is Santhosh from Bangalore. Since you have metioned letsbuy.com i wanted to clarify

1. for the past one week am not able to log into letsbuy.com. Any problem with the website or vendor.

2. if this is the case how to place an order.

Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 20:30   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshs View Post
Hi
1. for the past one week am not able to log into letsbuy.com. Any problem with the website or vendor.
There was some issue last week for a couple of days when they were working on upgrading there servers. But it has been working since couple of days no problem. Infact I called them today for the coupons.

Enjoy
Old 12th July 2011, 21:47   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Voice navigation works fine, just download the brut google maps. Offline mode should work, yet to try that out. Correct me if i am wrong, but i find google maps more accurate than MMI/Ndrive etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sc20110712173159.jpeg  

Last edited by xotiq : 12th July 2011 at 21:57. Reason: data
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 22:16   #4755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq

Voice navigation works fine, just download the brut google maps. Offline mode should work, yet to try that out. Correct me if i am wrong, but i find google maps more accurate than MMI/Ndrive etc.
Google maps is getting better and better day by day and is the best free online map out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks