Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 05:12   #4696
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Did you try Teamviewer?
Interestingly, only CM had posted a screenshot of teamviewer running on his phone. Let's wait for his reply on what went wrong!
Old 11th July 2011, 07:24   #4697
Senior - BHPian

Just a humble thought, should we have a separate thread on SGS2 alone. I am increasingly finding it difficult to search for lots of information about SGS2 getting lost in this wonderful thread
Old 11th July 2011, 07:30   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Heh - that ways we should have separate threads on all major phone models or manufacturer families, not just SGS2. Makes sense, if mods permit.

Honestly, I'd be glad if the mods just restored the Android apps thread atleast. Merging it into this thread was a VERY bad idea IMNSHO. Right now, hunting for app suggestions is cumbersome!
Old 11th July 2011, 07:37   #4699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Heh - that ways we should have separate threads on all major phone models or manufacturer families, not just SGS2. Makes sense, if mods permit.

Honestly, I'd be glad if the mods just restored the Android apps thread atleast. Merging it into this thread was a VERY bad idea IMNSHO. Right now, hunting for app suggestions is cumbersome!
I agree. Mods, can you please consider seperating the apps thread? It served a very different function compared to this thread. Looking up for apps is impossible now. With so many posts, I find it difficult to search for my own posts in this thread.
Old 11th July 2011, 07:55   #4700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

True. An SGS2 thread would be good (I got one too), but we are still in an automobile forum, and hence there are limitations. If every phone gets its own thread, it wil again be cumbersome.

@clevermax: Might be stupid question, but anyway of doing the same to another android phone (instead of pc)?
Old 11th July 2011, 10:30   #4701
BHPian

Is it advisable to put a screen guard on SGS2. Will it affect the touch screen capabilities ? Thanks.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:01   #4702
Senior - BHPian

It comes with a gorilla glass. But to improve the feel of the touch you can get a matt finish scratch guard that makes touch and feel far more fantastic and fast less smudgy
Old 11th July 2011, 12:06   #4703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is it advisable to put a screen guard on SGS2. Will it affect the touch screen capabilities ? Thanks.
Depends on the screen guard, but usually it won't make a noticeable difference to the touchscreen sensitivity.

HOWEVER, i'd suggest you avoid putting on a screen guard. The phone has gorilla glass, so its pretty darn hard to scratch it.

What i would advise is some sort of rubberized cover, since the sides of the phone are kinda hard to keep a hold on, and it tends to slip out of hands often!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 13:12   #4704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Depends on the screen guard, but usually it won't make a noticeable difference to the touchscreen sensitivity.

HOWEVER, i'd suggest you avoid putting on a screen guard. The phone has gorilla glass, so its pretty darn hard to scratch it.

What i would advise is some sort of rubberized cover, since the sides of the phone are kinda hard to keep a hold on, and it tends to slip out of hands often!

cya
R
Put a screen guard....
1> It will not affect the usability of the phone at all...
2> There are several reports of the Screens on SGS2s getting scratched while leaving it in the pocket...
I put a screen guard on mine...
I don't want to take a risk. after a couple of months, if the screen guard comes off, i might not put it back on.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:15   #4705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Did you try Teamviewer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Interestingly, only CM had posted a screenshot of teamviewer running on his phone. Let's wait for his reply on what went wrong!
Yes, I had tried Team Viewer and it worked. The problem is, I can't install TeamViewer in my office laptop because that's against the policies. I have VPN access and RDP is allowed. So if I manage to get a free RDP client in my phone, I can access my office desktop from phone without violating any policies.

Moreover, remote desktop provides better experience than TeamViewer.

EDIT: I could access Home PC successfully over internet, by forwarding port 3389 in my wireless router to my PC's internal IP. This mean I can access home pc from anywhere, not necessarily within home WiFi. Best thing is, it works with Airtel EDGE's low bandwidth

Last edited by clevermax : 11th July 2011 at 13:32.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:14   #4706
BHPian

Guys,
prompt help please.
(My manager was asking me about this )

Requirement:
Navigation (free)
3.5 inch screen min.
Reliable (3 of his phones have conked off recently!)
Decent cam (if possible FFC also)

and, ya, as kifayti as possible !!
I guess 20K +/- 5K is fine.

I was suggesting Asus Garmin A10 (but it looks like out of stock on flipkart and all).

Please suggest.

And, requirement is in Bangalore.

I also looked for Desire HD ( but, then what about Navigation 'free' thing!?)

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:36   #4707
Senior - BHPian

asus garmin a10? You're leaving the company tomorrow eh? It has little support and definitely no upgradability. When everyone is coming with froyo and some gingerbread - the a10 comes with eclair. definite no no.

MMI was on sale for 1.5k a while back. There's even google offline maps now but MMI hai then why tension. its decent enough.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 15:44   #4708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
asus garmin a10? You're leaving the company tomorrow eh?
Yikes!No..
It has little support and definitely no upgradability. When everyone is coming with froyo and some gingerbread - the a10 comes with eclair. definite no no.
I thought about it, since, he wouldnt think about upgrading/root/branch or any related material!

MMI was on sale for 1.5k a while back. There's even google offline maps now but MMI hai then why tension. its decent enough.
Ok, that's some info!

So, I better suggest Defy / Incredible S ( latter would help with snob value ! )
and + MMI (1.5K)
is that good combo?

hehe.
Thanks phamilyman.

Ace.
ROFL! leaving tomorrow!
Old 11th July 2011, 15:52   #4709
Senior - BHPian

anyone will do - let him decide the looks if he wants. They're all the same in this range. since no root, even SGSL will do. its good for 2 handed usage.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 16:12   #4710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Guys,
prompt help please.
(My manager was asking me about this )

Requirement:
Navigation (free)
3.5 inch screen min.
Reliable (3 of his phones have conked off recently!)
Decent cam (if possible FFC also)

and, ya, as kifayti as possible !!
I guess 20K +/- 5K is fine.

I was suggesting Asus Garmin A10 (but it looks like out of stock on flipkart and all).

Please suggest.

And, requirement is in Bangalore.

I also looked for Desire HD ( but, then what about Navigation 'free' thing!?)

Thanks,

Ace.
Google Maps voice navigation for India can be enabled with a small hack. . Supports offline caching as well.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks