Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 13:11   #4681
BHPian

Re: App for stock trade!

Is there any app to do stock trading on NSE? In particular through ICICIDirect?

Please advice.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 13:35   #4682
BANNED

Re: App for stock trade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there any app to do stock trading on NSE? In particular through ICICIDirect?
I think this is broker specific. My brokers (Geojit BNP) have a mobile app, Please ensure that you download such (financial ones) applications only from the bank / broker, etc.

NSE does have a ticker app though, IIRC.

Edit:- (I accidentally hit the thank button instead of the quote button on your post).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 15:07   #4683
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ok...Went to Spice Hotspot near Forum Bangalore to checkout Desire

They claim that HTC has stopped Desire :(

Sangeetha mobiles in Forum also says the same.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:11   #4684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S
Ok...Went to Spice Hotspot near Forum Bangalore to checkout Desire

They claim that HTC has stopped Desire :(

Sangeetha mobiles in Forum also says the same.
You can buy it online from saholic.com for close to 15k.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:40   #4685
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am in a little bit of a conundrum. My E71 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I would like to upgrade the phone in the next month or so. I am keen on getting an Android based phone but I am not sure how high end I want to go since I already have a 64GB 3G iPad that I use for most of my content. I really don't want too much overlap between my tablet & phone and would not mind settling for a mid range Android device. However I do have some requirements:

1) Screen size - I find 4.3" phones too large. I find the 3.5" too small. My sweet spot would be 4". This currently leaves me with two options - Nexus S or Incredible S.
2) Dual Core - I have heard good things about the dual core phones. However, I am not sure if I want to spend 30K on a phone, especially considering that I got the iPad a month ago. Also, the only dual core phones out now have 4.3" screens.
3) Power - I need decent battery that will last me a day. I know Android devices are notorious for consuming power but I need something with decent capacity.
3) Performance - I am not going to be watching HD movies, etc. on my phone but I do want something that is not laggy for the basic functions and the occasional game of Angry Birds. Some of the mid range Android phones tend to lag quite a bit (Wildfire \ Galaxy Ace)
4) Stock UI or Skin - I am not very familiar with Android's stock UI but a lot of my friend's have HTC's and I love Sense UI. Especially 3.0. I like the FB integeration (Which I don't think is available on the stock UI). I think if I had to get a non stock phone, it would probably end up being a HTC.
5) OS upgrade - I like having the latest OS (Not at the expense of performance decrease). When does ice cream sandwich come out? Will the Nexus S get it right away and will phones like the HTC Sensation \ SGS II get it as well?
6) Camera - I really have never a camera on any of my phones, primarily because they were all terrible. However, I have heard that some of the newer high end phones take pictures as good as some basic P&Ss. If this is true, I would like a decent camera as well.
7) Messaging - I text a lot so I wanted to know, does Android do threaded messaging and also are apps available to back up texts to say, gmail etc.
8) Screen - I like crisp screens. Super AMOLED / qHD etc.would be very very nice.

So basically here are my choices:
A) Buy the Nexus S right now provided my . I don't think the Incredible S is worth another 6K considering lack of 2.3.
B) Wait for some more dual core phones (20K range) to be launched in the next month or so - Is this going to happen?
C) Deal with the extra .3" and buy a Sensation.
D) Any other suggestions?

Also, I know that the Optimus 2X is Dual Core and has a 4" screen but I am not a LG fan.

Thanks,
V

Last edited by vcash : 10th July 2011 at 15:44.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:43   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash
Hi Guys,
I am in a little bit of a conundrum. My E71 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I would like to upgrade the phone in the next month or so. I am keen on getting an Android based phone but I am not sure how high end I want to go since I already have a 64GB 3G iPad that I use for most of my content. I really don't want too much overlap between my tablet & phone and would not mind settling for a mid range Android device. However I do have some requirements:

1) Screen size - I find 4.3" phones too large. I find the 3.5" too small. My sweet spot would be 4". This currently leaves me with two options - Nexus S or Incredible S.
2) Dual Core - I have heard good things about the dual core phones. However, I am not sure if I want to spend 30K on a phone, especially considering that I got the iPad a month ago. Also, the only dual core phones out now have 4.3" screens.
3) Power - I need decent battery that will last me a day. I know Android devices are notorious for consuming power but I need something with decent capacity.
3) Performance - I am not going to be watching HD movies, etc. on my phone but I do want something that is not laggy for the basic functions and the occasional game of Angry Birds. Some of the mid range Android phones tend to lag quite a bit (Wildfire \ Galaxy Ace)
4) Stock UI or Skin - I am not very familiar with Android's stock UI but a lot of my friend's have HTC's and I love Sense UI. Especially 3.0. I like the FB integeration (Which I don't think is available on the stock UI). I think if I had to get a non stock phone, it would probably end up being a HTC.
5) OS upgrade - I like having the latest OS (Not at the expense of performance decrease). When does ice cream sandwich come out? Will the Nexus S get it right away and will phones like the HTC Sensation \ SGS II get it as well?
6) Camera - I really have never a camera on any of my phones, primarily because they were all terrible. However, I have heard that some of the newer high end phones take pictures as good as some basic P&Ss. If this is true, I would like a decent camera as well.
7) Messaging - I text a lot so I wanted to know, does Android do threaded messaging and also are apps available to back up texts to say, gmail etc.

So basically here are my choices:
A) Buy the Nexus S right now provided my . I don't think the Incredible S is worth another 6K considering lack of 2.3.
B) Wait for some more dual core phones (20K range) to be launched in the next month or so - Is this going to happen?
C) Deal with the extra .3" and buy a Sensation.

Also, I know that the Optimus 2X is Dual Core and has a 4" screen but I am not a LG fan.

Thanks,
V
I use HTC Incredible S and it does officially have 2.3. It's an amazing phone and a perfect companion for me. In fact I gave my blackberry and not missing it 1 bit.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:58   #4687
Senior - BHPian

vcash

I'd go out on a limb and suggest a BB maybe - too much of touchscreen isn't a very good idea ergonomically, imho. esp when you have an ipadfor the touchscreen/app goodness.

otherwise - cant really advise you on the android options since i havent really played with the phones in that range (to comment esp on battery).
Old 10th July 2011, 17:22   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I use HTC Incredible S and it does officially have 2.3. It's an amazing phone and a perfect companion for me. In fact I gave my blackberry and not missing it 1 bit.
That's comforting to know. But still 6K for HTC Sense and some more RAM. That's a bit too steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
vcash

I'd go out on a limb and suggest a BB maybe - too much of touchscreen isn't a very good idea ergonomically, imho. esp when you have an ipadfor the touchscreen/app goodness.

otherwise - cant really advise you on the android options since i havent really played with the phones in that range (to comment esp on battery).
Thanks. I despise BB because of the BBM phenomenon. One reason why I bought the E71 when I was looking for QWERTY models. Also, I like the app selection that Android \ iOS have. It's comforting to know that if one day, I want to enhance the functionality of my phone, I can do that. Versus, paying Blackberry app developer a $ to enable a flash light app?!

Yes, I know I am odd
Old 10th July 2011, 17:53   #4689
BHPian

Any news on the new Sony Ericson Mini Pro? It should ship with Android 2.3 I guess and it also comes with a decent hardware (Comparable with that of the HTC Desire S). Any idea when the release date is?

Are there any other phones that is of more or less the same size as that of the Sony Ericson Mini Pro?

Last edited by joe1980 : 10th July 2011 at 18:18.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:38   #4690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Thanks. I despise BB because of the BBM phenomenon. One reason why I bought the E71 when I was looking for QWERTY models. Also, I like the app selection that Android \ iOS have. It's comforting to know that if one day, I want to enhance the functionality of my phone, I can do that. Versus, paying Blackberry app developer a $ to enable a flash light app?!

Yes, I know I am odd
ok. Its a bit painful to swipe/touch so much for small things - the original E series was good at many basic things. Since u have an iPad - i suggested something different. I've had a bit of thumb pain courtesy the heavy usage my phone sees (very reminiscent of almost-CTS like pain in my hands during college days when lots of studies + daily UT/Q3A for hours). Think about it. 2 touch devices= hand fail.

PS: No new dual core devices actually. Same ones were 28-30 earlier and now are beginning to climb down - but no new launches last 2-3 months

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th July 2011 at 19:45.
Old 10th July 2011, 21:09   #4691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash
I have an incredible s, and I can vouch for it.
I got mine from letsbuy for 24k+ after discount.
HTC is also one of the best when it comes to OS upgrades. Right now it's on 2.3.3.
Old 10th July 2011, 22:28   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows a free RDP app for Android? There are few paid apps that can connect to a PC using remote desktop protocol (RDP) but could not find any free apps for that.

Below is a screenshot of my home pc as seen in my Phone's screen - RDP application is "remote desktop client" which is 25 USD. I am on 7 day trial. This is a beautiful app. The remote desktop is very smooth and so easy to navigate.
Name:  snap20110710_211450.png
Views: 695
Size:  533.4 KB

(I searched for Android apps thread but couldn't locate it)

Last edited by clevermax : 10th July 2011 at 22:32.
Old 10th July 2011, 22:53   #4693
BHPian

A new deal with a few android phones for those who are interested :

Mobile Phones: T-mobile Sidekick, Palm Pixi Plus, LG gt 540-Silver, Samsung M1 (GT-I6410), HTC Magic & Samsung 360 H-1 starting @ Rs 3,399 !!
Old 11th July 2011, 00:03   #4694

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Anyone knows a free RDP app for Android? There are few paid apps that can connect to a PC using remote desktop protocol (RDP) but could not find any free apps for that.

(I searched for Android apps thread but couldn't locate it)
Try this Apps.. All are not RDP but similar use..

Remote RDP Lite https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
TeamViewer Free https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps
android-vnc-viewer https://market.android.com/details?i...e=search_resul
Old 11th July 2011, 01:34   #4695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did you try Teamviewer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks