Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 00:40   #4846
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ok folks, here is an update.

After much deliberation it is the S2

Placed the order with letsbuy.com on a thursday evening at 7 pm and whola..I have the phone on a saturday

Initial impressions...wow...

Thanks to indian21r, got a discount of 1800+. Landing cost for S2 was 28600/-
Old 17th July 2011, 00:43   #4847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Placed order for Motorola Defy at letsbuy .
Special thanks to @deepakchiniwal for letting me use his discount coupon.

Special thanks to fellow members like @phamilyman, @clevermax, @madbullram, whose suggestions and reviews helped a lot in the decision making process.
Thank you, glad that it was of help to you
Old 17th July 2011, 07:37   #4848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Ok folks, here is an update. After much deliberation it is the S2
Placed the order with letsbuy.com on a thursday evening at 7 pm and whola..I have the phone on a saturday

Initial impressions...wow...

Thanks to indian21r, got a discount of 1800+. Landing cost for S2 was 28600/-
Congrats Man.

Letsbuy surprises me with their shipping. one order they shipped in an instant but the other one they took their own sweet time.

Anyway I have 7 more coupons if anyone wants them. Max discount of 10% upto Rs.1879/-

Are you planning to run it stock or root the phone
Old 17th July 2011, 08:30   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Had a problem with pictures taken with flash on my Defy (images blacked out) after upgrading to 2.2. A quick search on the internet revealed that I had to clear the data and cache. Problem is solved now. It also added the 'scenes' option to my photos after doing that.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:11   #4850
Senior - BHPian

Questions....

Ok, I got 3 questions for you guys. Need urgent answers!!

Q 1. Anyone tried Code.ROMv1 for Galaxy ACE ([ROM] Code.ROMv1 for Galaxy ACE GT-S5830)

Q 2. Since the last week or so, I'm seeing a major battery drain. More specifically, after I did a "Battery Ca liberation". It has become so pathetic that if I charge my phone to 100% at 11 pm, by the time I get ready to leave next morning at 8 am, it's down to 5%. Obviously there have been no calls, SMS, emails, wifi, BT etc during my sleep. So what's causing this drain?

Q 3. Which is the option to be used in Titanium? Should I 'Back up all user apps' or 'Back up user apps + System data'?

I think it's not wise to restore system data while switching between RMs right?

P.S. In other news, Samsung has officially started rolling out GB 2.3.3 update for Ace
Old 17th July 2011, 09:35   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Dear Androidians I am a Symbionian right now, and planning to switch to Android. One query I have is regarding the push mail mechanism on Android. I need to have push mail facility to my corporate exchange server. Is the push mail mechanism a "real push" like BB or is it like Nokia messaging service? Nokia service polls the mail box at intervals to see whether there are new mails. But BB will use data only when a new mail is there in the mail box. The latter kills battery life if the interval is anywhere lower than 30 mins But BB works just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hypothetically, it may be faster, but in the real world, the BB is way faster than the Android. I use a BB9700 and a GalaxyS, both on airtel. I get the mails atleast a minute(or more) before on the BB, than the droid.
Mails on an Android are a milli second faster than BB. Thats obviously because BB mails are coming from their servers so one additional step. But a lot depends on connectivity. At times, I've recd. mails first on my BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Guys, I have tried breaking my head with Airtel for days trying to understand if there is anyway to monitor my GPRS (non-3G) usage. But they says there is nothing that I can do to track. The CC says their "Back-End" team tracks this and No-One has visibility to it.

So I wanted to check with you guys if there is any App to do this accurately for a SGS2 running 2.3.4 ?

P.S: I have Googled and tried *123*10# and several other codes, but they are useless.
Data Counter Widget. Sits on your homescreen (it's just a widget, not an app).
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 10:04   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Q 2. Since the last week or so, I'm seeing a major battery drain. More specifically, after I did a "Battery Ca liberation". It has become so pathetic that if I charge my phone to 100% at 11 pm, by the time I get ready to leave next morning at 8 am, it's down to 5%. Obviously there have been no calls, SMS, emails, wifi, BT etc during my sleep. So what's causing this drain?

Q 3. Which is the option to be used in Titanium? Should I 'Back up all user apps' or 'Back up user apps + System data'?
2 - Extremely weird. Tried wiping cache/dalvik and stats and then seeing? Its damn weird. else post on XDA

back it all up - u never know when u'll need what. then remove the APKs that you dont need to restore asap.

ofc, with a custom ROM, you must only restore the user apps. Even user apps' data is a moot point. some ROM installation instructions advise you not to restore user apps with data. YMMV really. but its 99% safe

PS: My friend's Samsung Galaxy SL is a goner. Same internal SD card removed and endless force closes. Across DDKB2 (Indian), XXKB3 (stablest european) and XXKP9 (WIP GB - caused kernel panic!) ROMs. Nothing worked. its going to the service center now. Not happy at all, though with samsung, service is not a issue
Old 17th July 2011, 11:01   #4853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r

Congrats Man.

Letsbuy surprises me with their shipping. one order they shipped in an instant but the other one they took their own sweet time.

Anyway I have 7 more coupons if anyone wants them. Max discount of 10% upto Rs.1879/-

Are you planning to run it stock or root the phone
Hey Indian21r, can you PM me one of those coupons? Appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:32   #4854
Senior - BHPian

Team,
Swype in my GT-i9003, is adding junk words to the dictionary on it's own. How to stop it ?
Old 17th July 2011, 11:56   #4855
MCR
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Android Phone. Does Moto Defy have free turn by turn Navigation?
Also, does it come with preloaded google maps?
My current phone is Nokia C7.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:00   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I am planning to buy a Android Phone. Does Moto Defy have free turn by turn Navigation?
Also, does it come with preloaded google maps?
My current phone is Nokia C7.
Yes and Yes on both counts plus 1000's of other apps to choose from.

@phamilyman - I think I liked Defy eventually after she shed off all her clothes (wrappings).... lolz

Last edited by dkaile : 17th July 2011 at 12:02.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 13:26   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Hey Indian21r, can you PM me one of those coupons? Appreciate it. Thanks.
I have sent the coupon.

@MCR, Free Navigation apps are available in plenty on the android market. But for most you will also need data plan to use and Choose a unlimited plan where available

Last edited by indian21r : 17th July 2011 at 13:30. Reason: typo
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 15:50   #4858
Senior - BHPian

One Click UnBrick for all Samsung Phones that use odin - [RELEASE] One-Click UnBrick updated 10july11 - xda-developers

cc: phamilyman

TIP: Did u know - Long press of your android phone's search key bring's up the Voice Command

Last edited by dkaile : 17th July 2011 at 16:17.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 16:50   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes and Yes on both counts plus 1000's of other apps to choose from.

@phamilyman - I think I liked Defy eventually after she shed off all her clothes (wrappings).... lolz
reg the turn by turn apps. the best ones are still paid which dont use data.

lol. but if u see, its construction is quite rugged and feels comfortable - like rugged plastic but not the comparatively frail looking plastic of other phones. of course, nothin like the BB bold or suchlike premium feel phones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
One Click UnBrick for all Samsung Phones that use odin - [RELEASE] One-Click UnBrick updated 10july11 - xda-developers

cc: phamilyman

TIP: Did u know - Long press of your android phone's search key bring's up the Voice Command
saab the phone isnt bricked. it boos and works like normal. then anywhere from 30-120 min it crashes with the internal SD card error.

that tip works only in a couple of places, but not everywhere - not on CM7. its configurable, so its disabled on my phone.!
Old 17th July 2011, 16:53   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Well my experience with Letsbuy has been good. Just use the icicilb coupon code and you will get this price. No the model is the same no difference its just additional discount. The piece which I got was a March'2011 import so the stuff is fresh also.

Do order accessories also at the same time from:

AMZER® - Google Nexus S Accessories

So you will get all things at the same time.
Mohit and others, thanks for your inputs.
Finally i decided for S2, had ordered on letsbuy and was delivered on the 5th day.

Let me know if anyone needs a voucher for 10% or rs.2900/- on letsbuy.

Viju
vijuvarghese is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks