Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:30   #19936
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for an India-specific invite for the OnePlus One as well. If any of you guys get it, please do let me know.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:13   #19937
BANNED

On Linux PCs, internal memory of the droid device connect as MTP mode. The workaround for this l0usy hurdle is to use the gphotofs utility from the command line.

Most current models come with only infernal (hic!) memory.

I don't get the logic behind a Linux device needing to jump through hoops to be able to speak to another device running the same kernel.

Also, starting with kitkat, third party apps have only readonly access to the sdcard. Unless you root the device.
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:08   #19938
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just got an OnePlus One India invite. If anybody genuinely wants to buy it from Amazon India, do PM me with your e-mail id, I will be happy to share it with you!

Edit : Invite shared to badboyscad

Last edited by superbhikari : 3rd December 2014 at 22:20. Reason: Invite shared
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:24   #19939

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Just got an OnePlus One India invite. If anybody genuinely wants to buy it from Amazon India, do PM me with your e-mail id, I will be happy to share it with you!

Edit : Invite shared to badboyscad
Hey, I need one badly. Can you please PM me. Will be great help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:33   #19940
BHPian

Anybody have hands on experience with the Nokia x2 android device?
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:53   #19941

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Have a OnePlus One India specific invite(valid for next 24 Hrs) which can be claimed and Phone bought from Amazon India for Giveaway. Please PM me your emaild ID if you need the same (first PM gets it, please claim as soon as you get as I have only one invite and would really like someone to utilise it) . Only condition once you buy the phone & if you get more invites, please share with Team-Bhp members

There are two steps to placing an order once you receive an invite:
Step 1: Claiming an invite - Once you receive an invite, you will need to claim it on the OnePlus website.
To claim -
1. Click on the link in the email. This will redirect you to the OnePlus website
2. Create an OnePlus account or login to your existing OnePlus Account.
3. Click on the CLAIM button to activate your invite.
Step 2: Ordering -
1. Once you claim the Invite Code on the OnePlus website, it is active.
2. You can then use the same code to complete your purchase on the Amazon.in website (as long as it is valid).
To place an order -
1. Go to amazon.in/oneplus
2. Sign in and enter your invite code.
3. Add the item to cart and checkout.
4. If you have just claimed it and you receive an error, please wait a few minutes for the status to be updated on Amazon.in and try again.
Thanks mate. You are spreading a good word. There are some people who are cashing on all this OPO 'invites' hype. There are invites up for sale on eBay for as much as 3K. Please BHPians, help out the brothers in need.
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:59   #19942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Anybody have hands on experience with the Nokia x2 android device?
Nokia Android devices (Nokia X Series) should be kept at a safe distance like the earth is from sun.
Old 4th December 2014, 00:32   #19943
Senior - BHPian

After all these years, it just makes one realize the Nexus 5 is the best device for android. Form a cost perspective to the user experience.

I have a S5 and my wife has a Nexus. The nexus is such a breeze to use and the stock android experience is quite different.

I have tried so many custom roms and yet the stock android experience is quite different.

The lollipop just shot a whole doze of adrenaline into the Nexus that the device feels new and my samsung s5 is struggling as the device gets more data into the memory.

If you can pay a similar price for Nexus 5 please skip the one plus and just stick to stock android. Huge difference.
Old 4th December 2014, 01:40   #19944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
On Linux PCs, internal memory of the droid device connect as MTP mode. The workaround for this l0usy hurdle is to use the gphotofs utility from the command line.

Most current models come with only infernal (hic!) memory.
I did upgrade to GFS with MTP support as per Web Upd8 here. Note that this is for specific versions, and may not even be needed on recent Ubuntu versions as I think the fix is a backport.

I see both Internal Memory and SDcard in my file manager.

Quote:
I don't get the logic behind a Linux device needing to jump through hoops to be able to speak to another device running the same kernel.
Must have got some ex-MS staff. Everything should be hidden; nothing should be straightforward, nothing should do exactly what it, in all reasonability, should do.

Quote:
Also, starting with kitkat, third party apps have only readonly access to the sdcard. Unless you root the device.
There is a system-upgrade-ready notification on my tablet. Perhaps I should very, very careful not to touch it!

There is no developer-options item on the menu, although according to this rooting guide page, there is a way in to that. On the whole, though, Asus seem to have left the look and feel fairly straightforward. There is not a great excess of bloatware. When I started up Mrs G's Fonepad, I thought it was forcing us to register with the Asus account, with mine, I realised that one can simply go past that: Asus does not force it on us.

Perhaps foolishly, I had not even installed an SDCard when I started it up, and having added a Google account in the start-up wizard, it immediately downloaded all "my" apps, installing them to internal memory.

I bought myself a World Maps (60% off, Christmas Sale, but then Sygic almost always has a something Sale on) licence of Sygic navigation, and downloaded Singapore, UK and India. That takes up 82Mb --- but there is still 1.5Gb of internal storage left. At this point, there is no reason to shift stuff around. Will do as and when necessary.

Have yet to get a SIM and get the 3G stuff sorted for away use.
Old 4th December 2014, 04:32   #19945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I bought myself a World Maps (60% off, Christmas Sale, but then Sygic almost always has a something Sale on) licence of Sygic navigation, and downloaded Singapore, UK and India. That takes up 82Mb --- but there is still 1.5Gb of internal storage left. At this point, there is no reason to shift stuff around. Will do as and when necessary.
The india maps for sygic (MMI version, now free) are 1 GB for all India. This doesnt sound like any usable detail for door to door navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
After all these years, it just makes one realize the Nexus 5 is the best device for android. Form a cost perspective to the user experience.

I have a S5 and my wife has a Nexus. The nexus is such a breeze to use and the stock android experience is quite different.

I have tried so many custom roms and yet the stock android experience is quite different.

The lollipop just shot a whole doze of adrenaline into the Nexus that the device feels new and my samsung s5 is struggling as the device gets more data into the memory.

If you can pay a similar price for Nexus 5 please skip the one plus and just stick to stock android. Huge difference.
Interesting.
a. Agree on custom ROMs - something is always broken.
b. My approach on the S3 after doing everything was to go back to stock, root it, and freeze 90% of samsung non-core apps using Titanium Backup.

Now I have a phone that lasts about a day, doesn't have force closing apps, is broadly responsive (read 1-4 seconds) and importantly has very decent audio quality (without headset) compared to CM11 which was superior in every other conceivable way.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:35   #19946
BHPian

I bought the Redmi Note on the 2nd Dec flash sale. The phone's here today - love the screen size, the camera's OK OK - front cam seems to fare better than the back strangely.

One thing I don't like is how large everything is, the resolution is low for a screen this big. Any idea how to increase the resolution/decrease icon/UI size (DPI)?

Last edited by hellmet : 4th December 2014 at 11:37.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:55   #19947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
One thing I don't like is how large everything is, the resolution is low for a screen this big. Any idea how to increase the resolution/decrease icon/UI size (DPI)?
You'll probably have to root it to change DPI. You can also download a theme which has better (smaller) icons.
Old 4th December 2014, 19:32   #19948
BANNED

Brothers, I need an one plus one india invite. If anybody has it, please pm me.
Old 4th December 2014, 22:29   #19949
Senior - BHPian

Got an invite and was able to place an order for OPO! The phone will be delivered tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted about first impressions of the Indian OPO.
Old 5th December 2014, 00:14   #19950
Senior - BHPian

Folks, a quickie question and required advice.

A very close friend of mine is selling his Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.
He asked me for a potential buyer. He hasn't out it yet on OLX or similar sites.

Price is 8k
Life: 1 year old
Good condition with flip cover cum stand case. (Seen pictures via whatsapp)

How good is the deal ?

I am in no hurry to jump into buying a brand new Tablet. So kindly excuse from advice on a new tablet.

The prime use of this tablet will be for my 1.5 yr old kid's educational purpose.
Primarily playing Rhymes (although we play it on TV via USB), and some applications which make Animal Sounds, Some things around us (like tables, chairs, etc).
All these we have been doing via Books. But then we have some of the apps which shows animals and make their sounds on our phablet (5" + phones). My kid loves to see, listen and replicate those animal sounds. So we thought a 7" tablet would be good.
Books would still be the primary medium of learning. The overall usage of this tablet would be around 2 hours max per day (apart from occasional use by us to watch movies )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks