Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 10:31   #20071
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Nokia's HERE map application is now available for Android phones. I downloaded it today morning and set my office route just for the heck of it. The app is slightly better than the Google maps.
Not able to download maps onto MI3.

Trying to figure it out what I am doing wrong.

Reinstalled and installed the same again. No change in it.

Any help guys ?
Old 12th December 2014, 10:36   #20072
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

please advise on good 1+1 accessories. I have selected the following as of now. Please suggest better options if any (tis the wife's phone, only the best will do!)
http://www.amazon.in/Screenward-Scre...2+screen+guard (but delivery date is too far away)

case:
http://in.mobilefun.com/45293-flexis...moke-black.htm
http://in.mobilefun.com/45285-protec...-100-clear.htm
http://in.mobilefun.com/46787-toughg...case-black.htm

What's the real world benefit of tempered glass protectors over prolonged usage? do they work as advertised in a 1000 rs range?
http://in.mobilefun.com/45304-mfx-on...-protector.htm
Old 12th December 2014, 10:38   #20073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Not able to download maps onto MI3.
Trying to figure it out what I am doing wrong.
Any help guys ?
Are you getting any specific error message? Some users who had lesser in-built memory phones, did not get the voice files after download. They only got the maps. But they were able to install it at least. Try restarting the phone once and clearing cache.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:08   #20074
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I am on a tight budget and do not beileve in investing more than 10-12k in a phone because almost all have a life of approx 2 years.

Currently my HTC Desire X is falling apart, thanks to my 2 year old son. So I am on a lookout for a new one with a budget of 10k.

I have shortlisted the following (in that order of preference)
Asus Zenfone 5
HTC Desire 616 (would cost 11k if bought from Amazon)
Micromax Android One A1 (though I do not like its screen specifications)

Your suggestions are required.
Zenfone has an Intel 1.6 Dual Core processor with hyperthreading and I am not sure whether this will support the apps developed over the next 1.5-2 years. Looks kind of old school to me.
HTC Desire 616 is my second preference. All my android phones have been HTC till date and this one just about fits in the budget, but somehow looking at the reviews, doesn't look that much worth.
Micromax A1 only due to its Pure Android experience plus guaranteed updates for the next 2 years, though the screen specifications are dismal.

Also any other phone that comes to your mind, please do suggest.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:55   #20075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

please advise on good 1+1 accessories..
I've ordered the below original Oneplus One case from eBay.in yesterday on COD. Waiting for it. I've opted for Hard Clear variant which is now out of stock. Have seen this before and hence opted for it since it is not available in Amazon India site. It may be cheaper at Amazon if available. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Official-OneP...r=420450702843

Last edited by vvrchandra : 12th December 2014 at 13:56.
Old 12th December 2014, 14:22   #20076
BHPian

Quote:
please advise on good 1+1 accessories.[/url]
I've preferred the original accessories and hence opted for the clear screen protector & black flip cover. Both are fantastic. Tempered glass is currently not available (Original) and was priced very nicely 399/-. If not the original everyone suggusts a brand called Nillkin or Orzly. But currently they are not available or very expensive to pickup in India. As far as cases are concerned, check this http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...lus-one-cases/
Old 12th December 2014, 14:27   #20077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Asus Zenfone 5
I can't comment for the rest. Having fiddled around with the Asus a bit, I have to say it is an outstanding product. Let me start with the one negative about the phone and that is battery life. 7-8 hours on 3g under extensive use is as far it will go on a single charge. The battery saver function combined with auto brightness does improve matters but its still no match to phones that use Snapdragon chips.

The good bits. I've yet to come across a phone that is as fast and responsive than a phone equipped with an Intel chip. My wife uses the old Xolo X900 and its fast even by today's standards. The Asus is slender, very well made and finished, has a crisp display and the camera is probably the best at the asking price. I hear that the camera on the Micromax Canvas Nitro is a little better. I've seen what the Asus camera can do and its brilliant. I've yet to come across an app that won't work under the Intel platform so you should be fine here.
Old 12th December 2014, 15:51   #20078
BHPian

Quote:

What's the real world benefit of tempered glass protectors over prolonged usage? do they work as advertised in a 1000 rs range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've ordered the below original Oneplus One case from eBay.in yesterday on COD. Waiting for it. I've opted for Hard Clear variant which is now out of stock. Have seen this before and hence opted for it since it is not available in Amazon India site. It may be cheaper at Amazon if available. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I've preferred the original accessories and hence opted for the clear screen protector & black flip cover. Both are fantastic. Tempered glass is currently not available (Original) and was priced very nicely 399/-. If not the original everyone suggusts a brand called Nillkin or Orzly. But currently they are not available or very expensive to pickup in India. As far as cases are concerned, check this http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...lus-one-cases/
I've been using a Nilkin Tempered glass on my OnePlus for a little over 2 months now and honestly I can't see any difference from a regular screen guard.

The only plus I can think of is that it feels like glass to touch (because it is made of glass )

It's not finger print resistant as some sellers wrongly advertise.

Now I can't comment on its safety aspect because I'm careful with my phone. I don't keep phone in pocket along with coins or keys nor have I ever dropped it.

Now coming to the cases, there's a detailed thread on OnePlus forums suggesting what cases to get and what to avoid.

Sadly the Official OnePlus cases are in the avoid list because people have reported of the cases cracking within a week of initial usage.

They are very very thin. So I doubt they give a decent degree of protection, but they look the best among all cases I considered.

I personally have been using a Diztronic TPU case. It's not a looker but it gives good protection and has a lip too which prevents the screen from scratching if you keep the phone face down (which you shouldn't).
Old 12th December 2014, 18:09   #20079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I can't comment for the rest. Having fiddled around with the Asus a bit, I have to say it is an outstanding product. Let me start with the one negative about the phone and that is battery life. 7-8 hours on 3g under extensive use is as far it will go on a single charge. The battery saver function combined with auto brightness does improve matters but its still no match to phones that use Snapdragon chips
Actually the battery is the only thing holding me back because I foresee a lot of travel in near future. Majority reviews mention that battery doesn't go beyond 3 hours of game play or browsing. My total travel duration one way would be roughly 12-14 hours with a couple of hours of layover.

Also heard it takes a lot of time to ever get fully charged, roughly 3 hours

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 12th December 2014 at 18:19.
Old 12th December 2014, 18:13   #20080
Team-BHP Support

This information has been provided by a BHPian. We would like to thank him for sharing it with other enthusiasts.

There is a new help App available for Android smartphones called YelpOut. The creators claim that the App makes it possible for you to get help instantly by notifying helpers in your vicinity.

If someone is stuck in an adverse situation, he needs to do is press the 'YELP' button on the App or click the start button on his smartphone 5 times in quick succession. People, who have been registered by the user as guardians at the time of signing up, will be alerted, along with the user's pin pointed location. An alert is also sent to all the App users within 10 km from the user's location. A help appeal will appear on their screen as: You are 'x' km from helping someone. A map pin-pointing the user's location shows up as well making it easy for the helper to trace him.

Key features of YelpOut:
  • If you are in trouble, press Yelp or 5 clicks of the start button will send a help appeal to helpers 10km from you. Help will appear in no time. For your reassurance, the app will keep showing you the count of people that are on their way to help you.
  • At the helper's end, the App displays the number of other users that are on their way to help. It is more encouraging when you know you are not alone.
  • Once help is received, the App lets you 'STAMP' the helper as appreciation, which then reflects on Yelpout page on facebook.
YelpOut can also come in handy if a user is witness to a crime:
  • Auto / taxi commuters who face harassment at the hands of the driverscan use the app to report the particular auto / taxi and blacklist it.
  • A stolen car can be reported. Message gets sent out to users within a radius of 50 km radius. If anyone happens to spot the car, he can report back. This message received contains information about the location where the car was last spotted.
  • Kidnapping and hit & run incidents can be reported.

Name:  YelpOut1.png
Views: 685
Size:  198.6 KB

Name:  YelpOut2.png
Views: 681
Size:  261.8 KB

Name:  YelpOut3.png
Views: 633
Size:  227.0 KB

Name:  YelpOut4.png
Views: 671
Size:  295.8 KB

Link to download YelpOut
Old 13th December 2014, 07:47   #20081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Actually the battery is the only thing holding me back because I foresee a lot of travel in near future.
Was in a similar dilemma a few month ago and made the mistake of purchasing the Xolo Android one. Its a very basic call and message phone which can be used for some browsing. Battery life, camera quality - both not up to the mark and sometimes I had issues with call quality as well.

Hence decided to change and was looking at Asus zenfone 5, One+1 and Redmi Note.Did play around with an Asus but battery has always been an issue with Intel processors. Was not convinced of the value of the One+1 as I am not a big fan of mobile gaming or customization for the sake of customization.

A colleague had purchase the Redmi 1S and I was surprised at the build quality and ease of use of the phone. Decided to purchase the redmi note and received the same yesterday. Gorilla glass 3 screen makes touch butter smooth, 2 gigs of ram and Octa core runs just about anything you can throw at it and I have been a fan of the MIUI and hence no complaints. Monster 3000 mAH battery which is still at 60% after the 1st full charge and continuous usage for more than 16-17 hours. Would suggest you look at the note if size is not a problem (5.5 inch screen) else consider the Redmi 1S with its 4.5 screen.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:23   #20082
Senior - BHPian

Downloaded HERE map on my Nexus 5 which works fine.
I have a Garmin GPS device which has an outdated map on it and wondering if I can install this on it.

Any clues?
Old 13th December 2014, 09:46   #20083
BHPian

Query - Here maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Downloaded HERE map on my Nexus 5 which works fine.
I have a Garmin GPS device which has an outdated map on it and wondering if I can install this on it.

Any clues?
How does the app behave, (especially on highways)? have you tried navigating with it? Any glitches - heating/ battery drain/ patchy GPS lock etc? Coming from Nokia who owned Navtel Maps , I feel this should be a worthy competitor to Google Maps. And with the convenience of offline maps, one doesn't have to fret about slow/ non existent mobile connections, especially out on the highways & the back of beyond. I am planning to install the same, so would appreciate an informed opinion.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 13th December 2014 at 10:04.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:29   #20084
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query - Here maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
How does the app behave, (especially on highways)? have you tried navigating with it? Any glitches - heating/ battery drain/ patchy GPS lock etc? Coming from Nokia who owned Navtel Maps , I feel this should be a worthy competitor to Google Maps. And with the convenience of offline maps, one doesn't have to fret about slow/ non existent mobile connections, especially out on the highways & the back of beyond. I am planning to install the same, so would appreciate an informed opinion.

Cheers !
Give me few days and I can let you know. I installed it last night and haven't had a chance yet to use it.
For some reason I wanted to update my standalone GPS with the same map first and when I checked the Garmin page, they have the HERE map as well to download.
Old 13th December 2014, 11:02   #20085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
....Decided to purchase the redmi note and received the same yesterday. Gorilla glass 3 screen makes touch butter smooth, 2 gigs of ram and Octa core runs just about anything you can throw at it and I have been a fan of the MIUI and hence no complaints. Monster 3000 mAH battery which is still at 60% after the 1st full charge and continuous usage for more than 16-17 hours. Would suggest you look at the note if size is not a problem (5.5 inch screen) else consider the Redmi 1S with its 4.5 screen.
Redmi note is an awesome device for its price. Only point to highlight, like you mentioned, can be the screensize, which one will get used to immediately. It meets all these requirements of mine
1. Good call quality - meets my prev phone (lenovo with noise cancellation feature). Redmi 1s was not upto the mark here
2. Long battery life - very good.. 2+ days is great - pretty close to my prev phone (lenovo p780)
3. simple features like whatsapp & email - works

Added, 2GB RAM makes it lag free.. display is good too..

Camera etc is trivial for me & hence this one gives the best bang for the money we pay.. at almost half the price of the lenovo P780.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks