Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2018, 15:56   #27571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I want to go out and buy a Mi A1, now that I am back in Chennai. Current events make that impossible today, but perhaps places will be open again tomorrow.

Does anyone know if it will be available from other mobile stores, or do I have to go to Mi store?
Old 8th August 2018, 16:57   #27572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I want to go out and buy a Mi A1, now that I am back in Chennai. Current events make that impossible today, but perhaps places will be open again tomorrow.

Does anyone know if it will be available from other mobile stores, or do I have to go to Mi store?
Considering the Mi A2 was launched today (deliveries within a week if you book tomorrow), you can probably wait for A1 prices to drop.
Old 8th August 2018, 17:25   #27573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Considering the Mi A2 was launched today (deliveries within a week if you book tomorrow), you can probably wait for A1 prices to drop.
Production of Mi A1 had stopped long back. Really there's no point in getting one today.
Old 8th August 2018, 18:40   #27574
Senior - BHPian

Honor Play makes much more sense than the Mi A2, for just 3k more, imho.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:23   #27575

Quote:
I want to go out and buy a Mi A1,
Considering your previous phone was the Moto X play (and discounting your panic Oppo purchase), you were fairly satisfied with its performance, I would suggest you the Asus Max Pro M1. Absolute value for money phone, stock android and it is now available in open sale. My dad is using one from the last couple of months.
Old 8th August 2018, 22:51   #27576
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddy, Vid6638, dkaile, 5hadow... Guys, thanks for all that!

Before I had the Moto (which I had no desire to replace) I had the Mi 4i, and I liked it very much. That one was lost in the Chennai flood, but at least I was not flying the next day and did not need to panic-buy in hours. This time, I was thinking that I would go with Mi again. Main thing: I'd established that there would not be a problem with rooting, and that a range of roms was available should I wish to try one. It looks as if the same thing is true for the Asus, and I will check it out and read up a review or two. It is also USB micro. USB C has entered the house already, with my wife's tablet, but still prefer to stick with the older format for which I have dozens of cables, including ones like the one that reaches my side of the bed!

I'll take a look at the prices for the new A2 too, although I think it has no headphone jack. That is one of those things I don't use often, but when I want it, I want it. And yes, I've experimented with external amp/dacs: one more thing to carry around, one more thing to power --- and one more complexity if one wants to charge/power the phone at the same time as using it. If I had bought Honor instead of Oppo, that day, I might well be happy with it right now, but don't know about considering it now.

I'm not put off the A1 yet... but that is at least one other phone on my screen before final choice.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th August 2018 at 22:53.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:54   #27577
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not put off the A1 yet... but that is at least one other phone on my screen before final choice.
The Mi A1 went out of stock online as soon as the Note 5 series was launched. I was able to find a lot of A1s in the Mi home stores (physical stores) but this was about 3-4 months back.

You could try your luck at any of the Mi stores in Phoenix mall or Forum mall.

An alternate is the Nokia 6 2018. It comes with Nokia's signature build and is an android one device as well. It also has decent optics and I believe custom roms shouldn't be a problem either. But Nokia, so far has been excellent with providing updates on time.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:01   #27578
BHPian

Guys, planning to get the One Plus 6 in the ongoing Amazon sale. Current users, how has the experience been for you? Any slowdowns, build quality issues? What do you not like about the phone? I’ve heard the speaker is subpar. Please let me know. TIA!
Old 9th August 2018, 10:58   #27579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Guys, planning to get the One Plus 6 in the ongoing Amazon sale. Current users, how has the experience been for you?
My wife got her's yesterday. So far no complaints but then it is too early to say. Just that there seems to be two Clock apps, two Messaging apps, two File Manager apps, two Photos apps etc.

I don't like OP's launcher. Is it possible to get Google Now launcher on it? Need to check. But then again, I have very little say in what goes in on her phone. :-(

I had ordered a separate case and screen protector, but the phone seems to have come with both already. And there's no earphones in the package.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:14   #27580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My wife got her's yesterday. So far no complaints but then it is too early to say. Just that there seems to be two Clock apps, two Messaging apps, two File Manager apps, two Photos apps etc.

I don't like OP's launcher. Is it possible to get Google Now launcher on it? Need to check. But then again, I have very little say in what goes in on her phone. :-(

I had ordered a separate case and screen protector, but the phone seems to have come with both already. And there's no earphones in the package.
What is the net price that you got the phone for?

Also, OP does not provide headphones out of the box. I have been using third party earphones on the OP3 for couple of years now.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:25   #27581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Really? I thought there was no bloatware on One Plus and that it Oxygen OS is extremely close to stock Android!

Maybe your phone is running parallel apps?
Old 9th August 2018, 11:58   #27582
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, planning to get the One Plus 6 in the ongoing Amazon sale. Current users, how has the experience been for you? Any slowdowns, build quality issues? What do you not like about the phone? I’ve heard the speaker is subpar. Please let me know. TIA!
LGV30+ is available at a cheaper price than OP 6. That I believe is a better choice now after the discounts. You get a very good QUAD Dec for music and the screen is OLED.
Old 9th August 2018, 13:13   #27583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also check out Asus Zenfone 5z - undercuts Oneplus6 by 8k. I got mine 3 weeks ago. Here is my feedback earlier on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4436064
Old 9th August 2018, 14:34   #27584
BANNED

Have been using my new samsung A8 plus 64GB for 4-5 days now. Gettinr 36 hrs battery on dual sim. The old Moto G4 plus gave hardly 20-28 hrs battery when it was new, an a single SIM.

Feeling irritated with the bloat ware - disabled most. Bat can't disable all. There is, for example, a "My Airtel' app which can't be disabled.

The screen is great. Far better than the Sony Experia ZR. will use the Gps extensively this month end while an a trip.

cameras were not a criteria, but inited impressions are better, Than G4 plus.
Old 9th August 2018, 16:08   #27585
BHPian

Does anyone use Usb on-the-go for copying data to pen drive? Is it possible to copy phone data to pen drive using OTG? I use a custom ROM. I can copy data from pen drive to phone but not the other way round. Have used multiple file explorer apps but without success. After file selection in phone, I can't see the OTG device listed for pasting these files.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks