Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 13:18   #27421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Is that possible? Afaik, unless the retailer is a seller on paytm mall, you will not receive any cashback.
Making payment to a local vendor will be a regular transfer, which may not be recognised by samsung or paytm as payment towards the Note 8 which is eligibile for cashback.
Few months back Croma salesman has said that it can be done. May be Croma is seller on Paytm.
Old 17th June 2018, 15:53   #27422
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Has anybody bought Samsung mobile from local retailer by making payment through Paytm and got offer of cashback successfully?
I am contemplating Note 8 purchase from local retailer but paying through Paytm. Are sellers on Paytm mall reliable? Anybody bought Samsung mobile on Paytm?
Most Samsung Smart Plaza branded stores have the Paytm payment option, and cashback works flawlessly. Most are listed on the platform as a seller, and you get to choose 'pickup from store' option on the delivery options step.

First-hand experience with Samsung appliance purchase, enquired about phone casually and there were cashback options across the range.

Ask before finalizing purchase.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th June 2018 at 15:55.
Old 17th June 2018, 21:32   #27423
Senior - BHPian

Some app permissions on Android are hard to understand and reconcile with. For instance, the weather app on my phone wants to make and manage phone calls as well as access photos and media, without granting which it won't open at all.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180617211506552_com.google.android.packageinstaller.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180617211513380_com.google.android.packageinstaller.png

Defeats me!
Old 17th June 2018, 22:00   #27424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Some app permissions on Android are hard to understand and reconcile with. For instance, the weather app on my phone wants to make and manage phone calls as well as access photos and media, without granting which it won't open at all.
Defeats me!
Bizarre! What's the point of asking, if they do NOT allow. Google should do something about this issue.
Old 17th June 2018, 22:03   #27425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1772489

Attachment 1772490

Defeats me!
Phone permission will allow the app to read the status of the phone. For example network status, data connection etc.

Storage permission is needed to store some files related to the app, I believe.

The message displayed on the screen is misleading.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:49   #27426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most benign apps use the "manage phone calls" permission only to look up your phone's IMEI in a misguided attempt to identify unique installations. Hostile apps can figure out the metadata of all your calls and use that information against you.

In the earlier days of Android it was required to detect an incoming (or outgoing) phone call and take app-specific action (eg: pause a movie or reduce volume of song) but that is no longer the case.

The "photos and media" permission is needed in some genuine use-cases but most apps for the most part can do without it, and in cases where its functionality is needed they can make do with Android's built-in capabilities. WhatsApp is a notable example where the permission is justified.

Remember that of late, Android has gotten rid of the INTERNET permission; all apps have complete internet access by default. So an untrustworthy app can upload your personal stuff to a backend server and you will be none the wiser. I generally start with no permissions and allow them only when the app's need is fully justified and the app itself is trustworthy.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:54   #27427
Team-BHP Support

I don't use too many apps, but the only workaround to one I need that won't install without absurd permissions, is to revoke everything post install and then provide as necessary during usage.
Old 18th June 2018, 23:57   #27428
BHPian

Hi!

Looking for a dual-sim Android device for my mum, currently using MI 4i.

Usage is mostly Jio VoLTE calls and WhatsApp.

I understand connectivity is location specific, but I expect it to be second to none where both are not an issue.

Mi4i doesn't have VoLTE, and the Jio4G app is, well, let's not talk about it!

In February this year, my wife got a Moto G5S Plus, 4GB - 64GB model.

After 4 months'of usage, I feel the phone is truly VFM.

With a budget of 15k, can I buy my mum the same Motorola?

I know we have many Honors in our forum, but since I don't have a 1st hand experience, I am not sure how it fares in terms of ease of use, security updates and OS upgrades. Does it slow down in, say, 6 to 8 months?

At the most, following apps will be on the phone -

Malware Bytes
Amazon
PayTM
Google Tez
HDFC Bank Mobile App
WhatsApp
Facebook ( I am trying to get her away from this)
YouTube
My Jio
Jio TV
GMail
Google Duo
Google Photos

Your kind inputs are appreciated. I understand this segment is no longer a no-brainer nowadays!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 19th June 2018 at 00:01.
Old 19th June 2018, 02:19   #27429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

After 4 months'of usage, I feel the phone is truly VFM.

With a budget of 15k, can I buy my mum the same Motorola?

I know we have many Honors in our forum, but since I don't have a 1st hand experience, I am not sure how it fares in terms of ease of use, security updates and OS upgrades. Does it slow down in, say, 6 to 8 months?
Well i would not look at the motorola G5s plus because SD 625 itself is a 2 year old processor if my memory serves right and motorola phones are now no longer VFM as they used to be.
You can look at the Real me 4gb or 6 gb variant and Helio p60 is the most powerful processor in this segment if you are not into hardcore gaming.
Redmi note 5 pro is too worth the shot if you can lay hands on it.
Then comes the Asus zenfone max pro m 1 which comes with SD 636 and a 5000 mah battery.
Then Redmi note 5 and Honor 9 lite or 7x.

Last edited by revvharder : 19th June 2018 at 02:20.
Old 19th June 2018, 18:23   #27430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Well i would not look at the motorola G5s plus because SD 625 itself is a 2 year old processor ---Helio p60 is the most powerful processor in this segment if you are not into hardcore gaming --- SD 636
Thanks for your input.

Did a quick read online, and looks like the 3 processors, performance wise, are in the below listed order -

Snap Dragon 636
Mediatek Helio P60 (Adv. Dual VoLTE)
Snap Dragon 625

I do not want to go the Mediatek way, so I am looking for a device with SD 636. Priorities are, and in order of appearance, primarily to be used by a Senior citizen -

1. 4 GB/ 64 GB, at least. Not sure if I would be able to lay hands on MI Note 5 Pro (6 GB) any time soon.

The current phone is 2 GB/16 GB, without any option to expand storage. Was ok 3 years ago when it was bought, but things have changed now with more media being consumed as data availability and associated cost is no longer an issue.

2. Dual sim (not necessarily dual VoLTE).

3. Excellent network/wi-fi connectivity (wherever feasibility is not an issue) and voice clarity.

The current MI 4i doesn't auto connect to home Wi-Fi. The SSID appears under Saved Networks, but the phone never connects back. Have to key in the password everytime. Wi-Fi is set to Never sleep / Always on. All other phones and devices connect to the same network without any fuss.

One more reason to buy another phone is the lack of in-built VoLTE. The Jio Voice app disconnects the moment Wi-Fi is switched on, rendering the sim useless. And when the Wi-Fi doesn't connect automatically after few hours, the Jio Voice app doesn't come back automatically either, converting the phone into just a paperweight w/o any network connectivity (no LTE, no Wi-Fi).

Factory reset hasn't helped.

4. Good audio output (for YouTube) without earphones.

5. Security updates for 2 years.

6. At least one OS upgrade from what comes in-box.

7. Decent camera (low light performance is not a priority).

8. Quick charge 2.0/3.0

Normal screen is ok (FHD). Not too keen on 18:9 and FHD+ display.
Budget of 15k - will not pinch if the phone is replaced every 1.5/2 years.

Would request members to assist in shortlisting appropriate phones.

Thank you.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 19th June 2018 at 18:33.
Old 19th June 2018, 19:10   #27431
BHPian

Quote:
I do not want to go the Mediatek way, so I am looking for a device with SD 636. Priorities are, and in order of appearance, primarily to be used by a Senior citizen
Sorry Mods, the time to edit my post has lapsed. Kindly merge this and my earlier post.

Update - checked at the MI store near my place. The 6 GB model of MI Note 5 Pro is available in Black and Gold colors. Stock is sufficient. They are also offering between 2k to 2.5k exchange value on the existing MI 4i (was bought 3 years ago for 13k).

Any one using the same can please advise how has their experience been with this model? Did you already receive Oreo update?

I understand it's already around 4 months since it was launched, so any hands on experience will be appreciated.

My main requirements are in my post above.

Thank you.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 19th June 2018 at 19:29.
Old 19th June 2018, 19:46   #27432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you already receive Oreo update
Specific to this query of yours, none of the MI devices that I am aware of have released with Oreo. But having said that, MIUI is very feature rich and incorporates most features of stock Oreo in their MIUI updates. So even if you dont receive major OS update, as long as Security updates are regular and MIUI is getting updated, you should be covered in terms of the features available. If this is acceptable to you then you can certainly go for the Note5 Pro if readily available.
Old 19th June 2018, 20:07   #27433
Senior - BHPian

Was researching for my next phone which must have dual sim volte support on each sim. I have a Jio and an Airtel connection both of which operate on Volte. So this is a must have requirement as I want to stop carrying 2 phones as I do now.

I only know Asus pro max m1 in the budget category and One Plus 6 in the mid range category having this functionality. Any other phones in these price ranges having dual volte support?
Old 19th June 2018, 21:17   #27434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I only know Asus pro max m1 in the budget category and One Plus 6 in the mid range category having this functionality. Any other phones in these price ranges having dual volte support?
Realme 1 has it and note 5 pro will receive an OTA update which will enable this function. Most mid range Honor have this functionality.
Old 19th June 2018, 22:04   #27435
Senior - BHPian

Received a 1GB update on the Honor 10 which added EIS to it's camera software. Marginal improvement in the already impressive camera. This update also added Party Mode to play music on various phones acting as various channels. Also cleared the phone cache after this update and refreshed Maps data and voila the Google Location issue is now solved. It's pinpoint accurate after further enabling the WiFi scan on every location request.

And yes, it is one of the few phones (including OnePlus 6) which provides dual VoLTE support unlike even my Note 8. Great phone till now.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 19th June 2018 at 22:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks