Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:45   #25921
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
THIS, this is the reason why I won't buy a Chinese branded phone, I know the Chinese are good assemblers and manufacturers but they become a bit shady when developing their in-house products.. they need tight quality control by giants like Sony and Apple.

In terms of affordable high-enders it is Sony, Apple, HTC and Samsung for me in order. Samsung is a bit of a copycat (design and other features from Apple, waterproofing and build from Sony - shameless copying). Sony and Apple are true in-house innovators.
Seriously we are going here?

People liked OP for the quality they have - even at 30k (3t) it is not a cheap phone. No one gives a damn about BBK; and yes, most buyers of OP know this, but they don't buy the Oppo or Vivo do they?

To me OP5 missing the OIS is an absolute blunder - and hence I wont recommend the same. And when Apple comes up with wireless charging or came up with dual camera, or will ever have the guts to come up with a curved screen - will they be copying Samsung/HTC. Vivo has a dual front camera! Samsung has in the past blatantly copied Apple, but it has moved on from that and truly makes amazing top end phones.

As for me, I don't like either iOS or Samsung's over the top skins. Hence I am with OP - truly functional and minimalist OS and a solid Hardware. Now there is the Pixel, whose 2nd iteration would hopefully be far far better and I am looking that way for my next phone.

And, yeah every major phone is made in China. Last I saw only some versions of MI for the Indian market are made in India.
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:51   #25922
Senior - BHPian

The OP5 128GB is at 38k? Man, what are they smoking? And i thought the 3T 128GB was expensive

At a sub 30k price OP was a good buy but these prices are infringing into the big boy territory and if you want to punch with the heavy weights you better have the specs to do so.

I think they are slowly testing the waters as to how high they can push their product prices.

Nice phone, nice OS, nice updates, nice dash charge but at 38k, i don't know...
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:56   #25923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Seriously we are going here?
Yes, we are going here but its a point of view, it may not be a popular point of view but it still is valid nonetheless.

I learnt this from my own interest in the luxury industry, China has the unique position because every developed country depended on it for manufacturing.. they got the skills, technical input and know-how from the finest development engineers and tech researchers word-wide. They can knock-off any product as a result be it a Kelly bag of Hermes, a Rolex or even the most complicated tech device.

They make them on the cheap because they never spent the many tens of billions of dollars spent by more established brands doing innovation, research, safety testing and almost sitting on perfecting a tech for a decade before launch. Some want a flagship-esque device at reasonable prices, some don't.. the in-house Chinese brands are for the former.

For some maybe a bit of provenance, history and a longstanding relation with the brand matters and if they can afford it why not buy a more established brand at a premium? I'm sure these companies have tremendous expenses and without them there won't be any innovation at all.

Lastly, I'm the last guy on earth to buy what everyone else buys, nor do I relate highest sales to best quality, in my mind its the total and direct opposite. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd June 2017 at 09:58.
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:57   #25924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The reason I stayed away from the S8. It is all glass, one drop w/o any protector and the phone is gone.
^Got the iPhone 7
Yes, its all good to look at until the first drop. Not ideal for those who prefer to use the phone without any added protectors/cases.
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:31   #25925
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we are going here but its a point of view, it may not be a popular point of view but it still is valid nonetheless.
A POV is a POV in my opinion, nothing more nothing less. The Validity of the same is always up for question, for both you and I. In fact we happen to perceive things differently, and don't agree on the Validity is why we are having a debate!

Quote:
I learnt this from my own interest in the luxury industry, China has the unique position because every developed country depended on it for manufacturing.. they got the skills, technical input and know-how from the finest development engineers and tech researchers word-wide. They can knock-off any product as a result be it a Kelly bag of Hermes, a Rolex or even the most complicated tech device.
I agree with this. But isn't Apple doing the same, it obviously wants to cut costs/not invest in the same hence they are made in China?

Quote:
Some want a flagship-esque device at reasonable prices, some don't.. the in-house Chinese brands are for the former.
And how do you define a flagship? Doesn't the consumer have the right to choose a product that fits his requirement? What you are saying is that, a phone needs to be expensive for it to be good! This is illogical!
I remember buying the 'erstwhile' Sony Ericsson P900 for a (then) princely sum of 37k (this is 2005ish if I remember correctly). To me the 256 MB (yes, MB) was like a dream. Sony stopped innovating and went the Andrioid bandwagon -I moved to Nokia (N900/N9); they made some of the truly original phones. They shut shop. The offerings with Windows mobile were hideous.

Now most phones do the same thing, they even look alike - it's as if everyone has settled on the perfect size. Untill something like the S7 Note/S8/Mi Mix comes along. Every company is out to make money. In the end, it's my money and I rather would like to keep it in my pocket, untill and unless I can justify the price and value. And I know, value for different people are different things.

Quote:
For some maybe a bit of provenance, history and a longstanding relation with the brand matters and if they can afford it why not buy a more established brand at a premium?
Relation with a brand? To each his own, I was once such a guy, but I now realize I just put myself in a bad spot (especially wrt Consumer Electronics) if I do this.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm the last guy on earth to buy what everyone else buys, nor do I relate highest sales to best quality, in my mind its the total and direct opposite. Just my opinion though.
Don't we all think like that?

Appreciate and respect your opinion, even though I may not agree with it.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:22   #25926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Invest on a good case , screen protectors are useless .
Well i am already using a case from Spigen and the Tumi case in on the way. The body of the phone shall be protected but need to protect the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Have you tried the spigen neo flex screen protector?
It is cheaper than the products like moshi and zagg, and seems to have decent reviews. A family member seems to be pretty happy with it.
I was planning to get the same but the reviews on forums an other areas suggest that it is not worth the money at all. Mostly there are negative reviews about the same. As per these sources, the protector scratches too easily on the first day of usage.
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:00   #25927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Samsung don't carry the IR blaster nowadays.
That is really disappointing for me IMO. Office projectors and TVs, All appliances at home (AC, TV, DVD player, set top box), Appliances at relative's homes. I could control all with my phone. it was not just very convenient and time saving, but helped to impress people and get surprising reactions form people It also helped me in fooling Kids at home that the TV is gone kaput and get them off the TV. Of course many new smart devices allow us to control over wifi, but its too complicated and not everywhere can you connect to the same wifi networks as the devices. Note5 and S6 were the last phones from Samsung to have the IR I guess. People were hoping Samsung would get back the IR in S8 but it didn't happen. Hope they give it on the Note8
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:56   #25928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just for the information of all the Oneplus fanboys out there - OnePlus, VIVO and OPPO are owned by a Single Owner - BBK Electronics...
So?? I am not even sure how does that make a difference for the product? Luxottica has multiple brands, but that doesn't stop anyone from buying Oakley or Ray Ban.

Fiat has multiple brands under them, but each has its own place. For all the fan boys, that'd be a stale information that you provided on BBK electronics and nothing they didn't know before - FYI.

Quote:
... But to claim a camera better than Apple and Samsung is just pure twisted marketing... And many will fall for it....
You might want to check the reviews floating on the net, the ones from Android Authority and the likes. Except for "The Verge", no one has a bad feedback on the cam, but they all acknowledge it has limitations and it's good for the price. Some even says the Portrait mode trumps Apple in some cases. I'd also remind you that Apple's portrait mode is currently in Beta. Considering this, I think that's a fair claim from the company.

I don't know why your post has so much disgust towards the OnePlus as a brand. The brand stands for it value for money products and people have liked them for a reason. And there is a market for such customers (like me) who look beyond snob value and hate to be tied up to certain ecosystem and look for something of an all rounder inspite of the spending capacity.

Also, there are news of OnePlus providing rigged devices for benchmark testing. If it's true, that's a bad gesture from OnePlus, but as a potential customer, I care two hoots. Reason - am not keen on knowing the results as I have no plans of flaunting those numbers to anyone I meet & greet in life. As long as it can handle anything I throw at it, at a reasonable speed, I am happy. I couldn't care less whether OnePlus 5 does it 0.2 seconds faster or slower than iPhone 7+ or S7! That's my POV on performance and numbers.

------

I have seen umpteen posts on how the OnePlus has climbed the price bracket too. Hasn't other brands raised the prices as well? Is iPhone 7 retailing at the same price where iPhone 5 was launched, Galaxy S7 at the same price as S3?

I believe OnePlus One launched at 21K, 4 years back. Considering that, I think the OnePlus 5 6GB variant still offers good value and is not absymmaly priced. If I look at the iPhone 7+ / S7, I still see the OnePlus at 50/60% of their price for a topline spec.

Finally, no one has to get worked up seeing the price / spec details of the OnePlus. If it suits you, please buy it / recommend, if it doesn't - strike that out of your list. Why spend so much effort trying to beat down a brand & their products just to ensure a halo for some other brand!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd June 2017 at 17:59.
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:15   #25929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
So??I care two hoots
Cool it bro! My post was not directed towards you personally but you have replied as a true fan boy. If you will see my previous posts, I have indicated that O+5 is a great phone in isolation but it is overpriced for what was the company's original philosophy. I use all phones but am a fanboy of none. I keep shifting the goal post according to the value that I perceive to receive. It is a personal opinion and everyone is entitled to one. So make peace with that.

That more companies are resorting to Steve Jobs like presentations as a blatant self promotion is a truth of the day. But do they really deserve those accolades is my bone of contention. Enjoy your O+5 and leave it at that. Who knows I may purchase one down the line, but my opinion remains.

Cheers....
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:16   #25930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But to claim a camera better than Apple and Samsung is just pure twisted marketing... And many will fall for it.

Cheers...
Sorry, its been an year since I stopped using iOS. Hence the question -

Does the camera come with a full manual mode now? Twisted marketing aside, if, by camera - you only mean auto clicking what you see - then no comments.
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:20   #25931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
you only mean auto clicking what you see
I really could not understand what you mean to say or convey with that post. Please read my previous post for 'my' point of view.

Cheers...
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:35   #25932
Team-BHP Support

I think the OP5 is 3K more than what I expected. It should have been same as 3T. Especially since they skipped on Quad HD display and IP67/68 water proofing.

The launch of the Op5 and it's price made me heave a sigh of relief. No buyer's remorse cause my Lg G6 has the wide angle camera which is way way more useful than zoom for portrait, Quad HD display which you once get used to you will love, IP68 protection and the smaller form factor of the G6 vs the OP5.

The only sad part is I paid 52K with a 10K cashback (which I still haven't got) and the phone is now on sale for 39-40K even without cashback! I've always had bad luck with phone purchases.
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:03   #25933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No buyer's remorse cause my Lg G6
I totally agree with your point of view. As a sub 40k phone now, the G6 is a 'true' flagship for it's company and in 'my' opinion offers a more complete package than the O+5. The only thing I feel they missed out on the Indian version is wireless charging which they are offering in the US variant and could have easily provided here to make it a more complete package. But then the US variant gets half the on board storage. But I would still not buy the LG just to protest against it's policy of giving two hoots about it's loyal customers and short changing them just one month down the launch in pricing.

Also I really cannot understand the current breed of mobile companies policy of giving 'hybrid' sim slots. Or no sd card support at all, as in the case of O+5. With the advent of VoLTE from Jio, we Indian customers are a peculiar lot, and we require dedicated dual sim and memory card slots. Samsung is trying to launch the same in it's newer models like C9 Pro or the upcoming J7 Pro (which I feel is a great phone with a mid level processor, full hd sAMOLED, f1. 7 camera @20k) but more companies should provide the dedicated 3 slots, especially in their flagships.

Cheers...
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:08   #25934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That is really disappointing for me IMO. People were hoping Samsung would get back the IR in S8 but it didn't happen. Hope they give it on the Note8
I love my S7 edge , but for this.
This is another reason my secondary phone is a Lenovo Vibe X3, with an IR blaster.
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:22   #25935
Senior - BHPian

This thread now feels like the comments section of gsmarena :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks