Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 01:19   #25891
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The verge is too apple centric, so this should be expected.
Yep - read / watched a bunch of videos and NONE had as bad an opinion as the 'Verge' guys about the cam, not even remotely. Most of them accept that the camera is not perfect but commented that its really good for the price point and even trumps iPhone 7 Plus in some cases.

Overall, am sold off and might take the plunge on Thursday, 22nd. Hope Amazon adds some nice launch offers - a no cost EMI option on Citi / ICICI cards would be awesome.

FYI - there is no IP68 (Water/Dust protection) on the Oneplus 5

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st June 2017 at 01:20.
Old 21st June 2017, 06:55   #25892
BHPian

https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...ating-reviews/
XDA has found Oneplus is again up to cheating on benchmarking!
Old 21st June 2017, 09:34   #25893
BHPian

Saw a couple of reviews of the OP5 - and besides it looking brilliant and the dual camera, there isn't anything to write home about. The one thing that bummed me off was the camera does not have OIS, I mean why would you do that?

It seems good for consumers who do not have a 3/3t, but those who do, it does not make any sense to upgrade. Ah, here starts my year long wait again!
Old 21st June 2017, 09:40   #25894
BHPian

Really dissappointed by the Oneplus 5. The signs were for all to see. Only specs don't make a phone & Oneplus has cheaped out on that too. Apart from the headline 16 Megapixel camera & 1.7 Aperture, there's no Optical Image Stabilization nor is the pixel size large due to the small size of the sensor. Oneplus did platform sharing like Automotive companies & based the Oneplus 5 on the Oppo R11 to save money. All the moolah is now being spent on Advertising, Offline Sales & hiring Brand Ambassadors like Amitabh Bachchan. The best Brand Ambassadors for the brand are the owners who've bought the phones & Oneplus didn't do them any favors by not updating Oneplus 2 to Nougat, after committing to it. Oneplus has become like a famous Political party which was formed to change politics but after passage of time has become just like others.

What doesn't help Oneplus is that other mainstream manufacturers have reduced their prices for their flagship models. The Galaxy S8 is available for $424 in US. (in exchange with any working Android phone). LG & HTC have also launched phones either at lower prices or are quickly dropping them to compete with the new players. It only helps the consumers but how will this work out for Oneplus, only time will tell.

With respect to Dual Cameras I really like Huawei's implementation that combines a Color & Monochrome camera coupled with Phase Detection, Laser Autofocus & Optical Stabilization. Add 2x Zoom & F 1.8 Aperture and you have a perfect camera. If only they would launch it here. Was even thinking of getting one from US but stopped short thinking about repair costs if Huawei doesn't launch the model in India. Hence got myself a Lenovo z2 plus for 11k from Amazon & will upgrade in a year or two.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:04   #25895
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed with the OP5 :(

2017 and still with FHD display and prices going up higher and higher.

No SD Card. No place for my FLACs.

Still no water proofing.

Cameras have received an upgrade and the phone would perform well with the SD835 having to push only FHD pixels.

But i don't know just doesn't feel Oh Wow enough for me.

Thought i would upgrade my wife's OP3 to this but looks like money saved

The LGv20 and G6 and the S7 edges seem to be better buys.

Ah well.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:09   #25896
Senior - BHPian

One + 5 is no longer a flagship killer. It is a exact copy of the Oppo R11. The specs are good, but are they path-breaking... NO. It will give a smooth android experience without much flair, and that's about what sums it up.

Cheers...
Old 21st June 2017, 11:11   #25897
BHPian

I managed to order one piece of both Oneplus 5 models in the US. I wanted only one but due to issues with the site and payment errors I was only able to make a payment via PayPal on a pending payment order which had both models in my cart. Will sell the 6Gb on Olx when I return
Old 21st June 2017, 12:59   #25898
Distinguished - BHPian

Ars Technica is not disappointed with the phone on the whole, but they don't give good report of the camera. Having gone to so much apparent trouble with the camera, surely they should have designed it to give better results!

OnePlus 5 review: The best phone for under £500. Ars Technica (UK, as you can tell from the £)

£500 still seems to me to be a huge amount to spend on a phone, although I'm well aware that it doesn't even come close to totl Apple etc. I'm still feeling guilty for having spent that much on a "real" camera!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st June 2017 at 13:02.
Old 21st June 2017, 13:50   #25899
BANNED

I was surprised to find a software update for my S8. However, then I realised that nougat is a new version of the OS and early updates are to be expected. A major fix, if I remember right over 250MB.
Old 21st June 2017, 15:40   #25900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was surprised to find a software update for my S8. However, then I realised that nougat is a new version of the OS and early updates are to be expected. A major fix, if I remember right over 250MB.
Samsung provides regular security updates these days. So, even though they don't provide the true android experience, the fact that they provide timely security updates of Android is a good thing.

PS: My Samsung Galaxy S7 experience continues to be average. Recently, in Bangalore weather, while I was navigating using google maps, with the charger connected in, and also connected to my head unit's bluetooth, it showed a message warning me that the temperature is too high and the charging will pause. I pulled off the cable and after 5 minutes I tried touching the phone and it was really hot. The only similar experience I have ever had was with an iPhone 4. Proof again that, it's not the spec sheet or the camera quality which matters, but a brand which knows and cares for what a communication device is supposed to be used for. Miss my Motorola/Nexus days!
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:58   #25901
BHPian

Is there any difference between buying Oneplus5 via Popup event or via Online (Amazon on Oneplus site)? One of my colleague is planning to buy a phone on launch and confused either to order today or wait for launch event in Chennai.
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:31   #25902
Distinguished - BHPian

I was keen on the OP5 for my next phone. 5 Things I was looking for in my next phone:
1. IR-present in my current Galaxy Note3. I use it extensively as an universal remote
2. Qi charging-Biggest thing is I transfer files from SD cards of cameras or watch movies in Pen drives simultaneously while charging my phone on the charging station. One thing is that I'll lose this freedom and other thing is that the wireless charging devices will be rendered useless
3. Mirrorlink Compatibility-On my car I'm not able to use mirrorlink as my current phone is not compatible. Want my next phone to be compatible at least
4. Big screen- This is met by OP5. Personally I have no qualms about the FHD resolution
5. Good Camera-Camera specs looks really nice.

6. IP68 rating - Although I was really not particular about this, I would've loved this

So, Overall I'm just happy but not wowed by the OP5. with the price expected around 40K, it is not cheap anymore. So, probably I'll just have to wait for the Galaxy Note8 expected to be launched in August (and expect Samsung to price it low after the Note7 disaster)
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:46   #25903
BHPian

Price of One Plus 5-as expected

64GB-32999
128GB-37999
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:54   #25904
Distinguished - BHPian

Oneplus 5 --> Does anyone have an invite for ordering the 128 GB version? Amazon has only the 64GB version on sale as of now. Could you PM me if you can spare one please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
...infact I am going for the launch event on 22nd June at NSCI-Dome

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd June 2017 at 16:55.
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:58   #25905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Oneplus 5 --> Does anyone have an invite for ordering the 128 GB version? Amazon has only the 64GB version on sale as of now. Could you PM me if you can spare one please?
128 GB version is listed now. It was not there at 4.30

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks