Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 20:05   #25951
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need some suggestions!
Can't decide what to replace my really old Galaxy S3 with. I have a budget of 40k. Wouldn't mind paying a few thousands more if its really worth it. I'm spoilt by the amazing screen on my device so no compromises on that. It should have a great camera and basic waterproofing atleast.
Right now I find the Galaxy S7/S7 edge a perfect replacement. OP5 is good but then the screen is a major let-down and no waterproofing too. And I hear the camera isn't up to the mark? Any thoughts?
Old 27th June 2017, 20:36   #25952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Need some suggestions!
Can't decide what to replace my really old Galaxy S3 with. I have a budget of 40k. Wouldn't mind paying a few thousands more if its really worth it. I'm spoilt by the amazing screen on my device so no compromises on that. It should have a great camera and basic waterproofing atleast.
Right now I find the Galaxy S7/S7 edge a perfect replacement. OP5 is good but then the screen is a major let-down and no waterproofing too. And I hear the camera isn't up to the mark? Any thoughts?
I used the S7 for a year and replaced it with an S7 Edge. The battery life on the S7 edge is fantastic, as is the camera and screen. No complaints. I'd go for the S7 edge, based on usage of both. The S7 battery wasn't very good. Barely got through the day. The edge lasts from 6 am to 12 midnight on heavy usage.

Waterproofing on both was excellent. No complaints really, especially after the Nougat update.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:20   #25953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NOP5 is good but then the screen is a major let-down and no waterproofing too. And I hear the camera isn't up to the mark? Any thoughts?
I use a IP7+, a Pixel XL and a recently delivered OP5. Now here's my take.

If you want the best display go in for a Samsung 7 or 8. New model Samsung phones have the best displays, period. I wonder what my old favourite model the Samsung Note 8 or whatever it'll be called will be kitted with.

The OP5 and IP7+ have the same screen resolution and density at 401 PPI. The difference is the OP5 is AMOLED and IP7+ is LCD.

The Pixel XL has a density of 534 PPI same as the S7 Edge but lower than the Samsung S7/S8 @ approx. 570 PPI. Can you see the difference between 534 and 570 PPI? Don't think I can.

As for waterproofing, LOL, no phone is waterproof but they are water (and dust) resistant. Seriously, unless you intend to use your phone near water or in the rain it is a feature of no consequence.

OP5 camera is good when seen on its own (for me) but it's certainly not as good as the Pixel's camera. YMMV of course.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th June 2017 at 21:22.
Old 27th June 2017, 22:01   #25954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The OP5 and IP7+ have the same screen resolution and density at 401 PPI. The difference is the OP5 is AMOLED and IP7+ is LCD.

The Pixel XL has a density of 534 PPI same as the S7 Edge but lower than the Samsung S7/S8 @ approx. 570 PPI. Can you see the difference between 534 and 570 PPI? Don't think I can.

Since you have these phones for side by side comparison, is there a difference while viewing them between 401 ppi & 5xx ppi?
Old 27th June 2017, 22:28   #25955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Since you have these phones for side by side comparison, is there a difference while viewing them between 401 ppi & 5xx ppi?
Yes there's a small difference. It is visible but you'd have to really look carefully to spot the difference. IMHO the difference is too small to be considered meaningful.

Also, exactly how high a display resolution or PPI does one need on a phone beyond the one that's currently available? I don't know. I use the so called Apple Retina display & yada yada. Yeah, the displays are really good but a I'd also buy a phone which I find acceptable as an overall package rather than focus on a single feature or parameter.

For now the OP5 is the king of the Android hill with 8GB RAM and a SD 835 SOC. Does that mean a handset that does not sport these parts is unacceptable? Hardly! It's only a matter of time before the others catch up. However, when it comes to the display Samsung wins hands down. They supposedly reserve the best display parts for their own models.

Frankly there is hardly any visible difference between top end phones from most manufacturers. It's more of a 'Me too!' race than anything else. The difference is more visible when one drops down the model heirarchy.

So at the end it's better to select a handset based on the overall package instead of 1 or 2 features.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th June 2017 at 22:36. Reason: Typo
Old 27th June 2017, 23:17   #25956
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to buy a phone for my father who will be replacing his 2 year old Motorola X play. The requirements are:
1. Screen size of 5 inches.
2. Internal storage of 32GB.
3. Battery power of more than 3000 mah.
4. Dual sim.
5. Decent camera.

Now after browsing through Flipkart, I narrowed the search down to 2 phones, namely:
1. Moto G5 plus
2. Lenovo K6 power.

The lenovo is almost half the price of the Moto ( 9k vs 16k). Specs wise both the phones look quite well matched to my requirements. Any recommendations as to which one to opt for? Also is it justified to pay 6-7k more for the Moto G5 plus over the Lenovo?
Old 27th June 2017, 23:17   #25957
Distinguished - BHPian

Any suggestions for a phone with a front led flash, front camera at least 10mp? I have to replace a c5 ultra, and that is the minimum, and main, requirement.
Old 28th June 2017, 00:03   #25958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Any recommendations as to which one to opt for? Also is it justified to pay 6-7k more for the Moto G5 plus over the Lenovo?
I am using lenovo K6 power for almost 6+ months now and no complaints so far. Battery is superb, love the stereo speakers, call quality is good and camera is decent. All in all, a good package for the price!
Old 28th June 2017, 08:54   #25959
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any suggestions for a phone with a front led flash, front camera at least 10mp? I have to replace a c5 ultra, and that is the minimum, and main, requirement.
Check out the Samsung J7 Max and the J7 Pro. The Pro is the better variant but it will hit the stores only by mid July. I suggest hold your purchase decision till then.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:01   #25960
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have to buy a phone for my father who will be replacing his 2 year old Motorola X play. The requirements are:
1. Screen size of 5 inches.
2. Internal storage of 32GB.
3. Battery power of more than 3000 mah.
4. Dual sim.
5. Decent camera.

Now after browsing through Flipkart, I narrowed the search down to 2 phones, namely:
1. Moto G5 plus
2. Lenovo K6 power.

The lenovo is almost half the price of the Moto ( 9k vs 16k). Specs wise both the phones look quite well matched to my requirements. Any recommendations as to which one to opt for? Also is it justified to pay 6-7k more for the Moto G5 plus over the Lenovo?
You can also check out the Redmi 4, it costs the same as the Lenovo K6 Power.

The Moto G5 Plus comes with an extra GB of RAM, a better SoC, better screen, overall better design, stock android and better cameras compared to the Lenovo.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:26   #25961
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a Honor6x for the past 2 months and I don't miss my Nexus 5x any more. Nice screen, just got the Nougat update, very good twin camera set up, 4-64 GB along with the Kirin processor is seamless and fast and battery lasts over a day with heavy data usage.. Kind of a sleeper in this range.

Last edited by SPARKled : 28th June 2017 at 09:28.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:51   #25962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some suggestions!
You can also take a look at the LG G6. Might tick all the boxes in your checklist
Old 28th June 2017, 10:42   #25963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One plus 5 is a good phone for the price. Camera is quite good too. But as a user of both the phones you have mentioned, S7 Edge is a much better overall package. You should be able to garner good discounts on it too and go for it blindly in that price range. Major disadvantages for me on O+5 is the lack of any sort of waterproofing, no wireless fast charging (which I use on a daily basis for its convenience), no expandable storage and no optical image stabilisation on the camera. 8GB of ram has no practical purpose for 99% of users and the 6GB model should suffice unless you need greater storage, in case you still opt for it. I also use the the heart rate monitor and the SpO2 sensor on the S7 Edge almost weekly and it's a very good feature for a flagship if you are health conscious. The always on display is also a very useful feature on the S7 range.

Cheers...
Old 28th June 2017, 12:37   #25964
BHPian

OP5 is manufactured from Oppo's plant in India.

http://www.bgr.in/news/oneplus-5-uni...oppo-in-india/
Old 28th June 2017, 12:41   #25965
Senior - BHPian

Been using 128Gb OnePlus 5 since the weekend, very impressed as a first time owner. At 38k it is a great buy.
Great camera/specs/battery/build. Dash charge is awesome. RAM is like Hp, more is always welcome.

I was all set to buy the Xperia XZ, but would have had to compromise on a low volume speaker.

The pixel and S8 ofcourse have more to offer, but for 20k more.

Last edited by Hatari : 28th June 2017 at 12:49.

Most Viewed