Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 08:42   #26086
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There no doubt it is but then you have to realize that iPhone 6 is basically two generations older than S7 and as such has a much inferior camera hardware.
I was offering my personal experience, as the member had suggested that he found the S7's camera performance similar to midrange devices. I have also compared shots with those from the iPhone 7, and it largely matches those, with either phone being stronger in some aspects. DxOMark's comprehensive reviews for both the iPhone 7 and S7 give a good idea. It does come down to personal preference as to which phone one finds more appealing overall.

Last edited by spindoc : 31st July 2017 at 09:09.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:30   #26087
Senior - BHPian

Finally went ahead and installed the Android O DP4 on my Nexus 6p. Nothing much changes on the surface atleast. Picture in picture seems to be disabled and I need to figure out how to enable that.

Overall it's quite a stable build and I think it is good as a daily driver.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:47   #26088
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions please!

Planning to get a phone and Moto G5 Plus and Nokia 6 seems to be good (No excitement here for Nokia 6 ). After using couple of phones from MI, it will be hard to adjust to the 3000 mah battery. I feel G5 plus is a better one compared to Nokia 6 (though I liked nokia's design, build quality and the presence of compass sensor). G5 Plus does have a better processor, dedicated SD card slot, think it will have a better screen as well and few other points. From the reviews, I see problems in heating, battery backup, phone getting slow etc - few things I never experienced in MI phones. Some of my requirements:

1) Maximum cost - 15k
2) Minimum 3gb ram and 32gb storage
3) Decent battery - should atleast last a day.
4) Decent performance - No games here. Lot of apps.

I do feel G5 plus is the better choice rather than waiting for Nokia 6 (that SD 430 is a big letdown) but concerned on few negative reviews as they were most recently posted.
Old 31st July 2017, 13:57   #26089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Suggestions please!
Since you have already got accustomed to the MI ecosystem, why don't you get a Redmi Note 4? The 4GB-64GB version costs 13k and packs a pretty decent experience for the price. Of course, the recent video of a piece catching fire could act as a deterrent. But that could be a singular incident and may not be a true reflection of the entire product range.
Old 31st July 2017, 14:52   #26090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Since you have already got accustomed to the MI ecosystem, why don't you get a Redmi Note 4? The 4GB-64GB version costs 13k and packs a pretty decent experience for the price. Of course, the recent video of a piece catching fire could act as a deterrent. But that could be a singular incident and may not be a true reflection of the entire product range.
I forgot to include that - I thought I will move away from them for a change. If nothing works out, I might come back to Note 4. Buying the car was so easy .
Old 31st July 2017, 15:09   #26091
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yaar but the iPhone6 was much better than the S6 edge, launched six months after it -my sole area of focus being indoor low light food photos (hooray for instagram!) and motion photos of my then 4 year old child. Hence i dont buy the whole generation argument actually.
I think you should invest in a good point and shoot camera.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:12   #26092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My budget is around 10k and I do not want to spend more than that for a phone.
Got myself a Redmi 3 S prime over the weekend. So far, the experience has been good.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:56   #26093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure. Its equally pointless till you can test the network on which Youtube is hosted.
I always tend to think that most of the internet is "in" America/Europe, but Goggle/etc have servers all over the world, don't they? So when we watch a youtube video, where is actually being served from?
Old 31st July 2017, 16:11   #26094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think you should invest in a good point and shoot camera.
I'm not sure what you really meant by that. Care to expand on your recommendation and help me understand why?

As far as I'm concerned, the day Mi launches the Mi6 is the day I change my phone - eyes closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I always tend to think that most of the internet is "in" America/Europe, but Goggle/etc have servers all over the world, don't they? So when we watch a Youtube video, where is actually being served from?
True - there's no other way you can get results that fast.

On a desktop, you actually need to keep the inspector window open in firefox (press F12 before you start watching a video) to see where that is loading from. I reckon a similar option would exist on the phone, not sure how.
Old 31st July 2017, 17:41   #26095
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure what you really meant by that. Care to expand on your recommendation and help me understand why?

As far as I'm concerned, the day Mi launches the Mi6 is the day I change my phone - eyes closed
In my opinion, if low light photography matters a lot to you then you should be buying a dedicated camera. Phone cameras should be for casual use, any half decent phone worth 20k should suffice for that purpose I believe.
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:25   #26096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
In my opinion, if low light photography matters a lot to you then you should be buying a dedicated camera. Phone cameras should be for casual use, any half decent phone worth 20k should suffice for that purpose I believe.
I disagree - the camera thats the most useful is the one you have with you at any moment. Technically, I *could* carry a dedicated camera but that's not who I am.

I was happy with iPhone6 through 2015 and mid 16. I'm just wishing for something better than that right now, but not finding many options.

I'm just a bit surprised that even with the flood of affordable androids, there's not too many good cameras around the 30k bracket except 1+5 and Honor 8 Pro and maybe the Z2 Play (which has the Snapdragon 626 and just 3000 mah!!!). If I wasn't a fervent believer in dual-sim goodness, I would've simply picked up an iPhone SE for 20.5k - that camera is very decent. LG G6 then becomes attractive at 36k as well, but the limited battery and RAM is not very inspiring.

Last edited by phamilyman : 3rd August 2017 at 07:34.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:16   #26097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Suggestions please!
Since you already have used the Mi Phones, you could check out Mi Max 2. Yes the phone is big but I have been using it for the last one week and its not that difficult to handle because it is pretty slim. Its got a great screen and battery (takes care of my daily dose of Netflix/ Prime/ Hotstar), 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, etc. Recommend you take a look at it.
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:04   #26098
BHPian

Is there a thread / discussion / info on Android Development, here? I searched with various terms but could not find what I was looking for. I know that there is Android Authority, Android Central, XDA etc. However, I was looking for something within this community

Primarily, what I was looking for was a discussion thread where one could start writing applications for Android; typically tools (preferably Linux, though Windows is OK as well), sample apps, reusable code etc.

Is there someone out there who could help with this?
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:29   #26099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LG G6 then becomes attractive at 36k as well, but the limited battery and RAM is not very inspiring.
Limited battery, yes but limited RAM not so. Both the G6 and the Galaxy S8 have 4GB RAM. It is only the Chinese phone makers who believe they need to make a server out of the smart phone who provide 6 or 8GB. Most flagship phones still stick to 4GB as standard and optimize memory utilization. At least on most of the comparisons I have seen of the G6, it holds its own very well with very good memory management and manages to keep even heavy apps loaded in the background for multi tasking. Flagship phones from reputed brands manage to have very good RAM management with 4GB on most of their phones. The soon to be released all android Blackberry KeyOne also has only 3GB RAM in the international variant and only in India and few other markets it is coming with 4GB RAM. Even with just 3GB RAM it manages to beat the Galaxy S8 on day-to-day app loads!!
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:52   #26100
BHPian

Does anyone here use the Blackberry KeyONE? I'm seriously tempted by the India spec version due to launch on Aug 8 but does anyone have an idea of the good and bad? I've given up on reviews because according to them, most phones are good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks