Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 00:39   #11086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
you're again confusing between rooting and unlocking bootloader! Technically all manufacturers explicitly say that rooting will void warranty.

But practically, you can unroot a phone and they won't know. But you can't re-lock the bootloader na?
fastbook oem lock

Voila!

Last edited by Athani : 31st August 2012 at 00:40.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:32   #11087
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any Navfree users can please tell me that the compass does work within the application. I installed it because the compass does not work with Gmaps on the Xperia Ray after the ICS update. Now I find it does not work with Navfree either! Or is there something I'm missing... some setting or something?

Really bugged with Sony.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:04   #11088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How good is this Jelly Bean for Defy? I mean stability wise...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1768702
GO FOR IT!

My wife has the Defy and it runs the 10th August JB. Rock stable - I have not had to even face the possibility of sleeping in the balcony yet !

/ if it was chacha she had, the device would be in the trash by now.

Quote:
you're again confusing between rooting and unlocking bootloader! Technically all manufacturers explicitly say that rooting will void warranty.

But practically, you can unroot a phone and they won't know. But you can't re-lock the bootloader na?
With Motorola u can do two things:
a. Reflash fresh SBF of stock ROM
b. Unroot (assuming you are on stock ROM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
fastbook oem lock

Voila!
Not so quick, buster!

The reason HTC asks for your IMEI while unlocking is that the service centers now have your IMEI - thus, they will now discount all forms of warranty. Which is INCREDIBLY stupid, since all i have managed to do is to use a de-bloated stock ROM that has root. That should ideally have no bearing on my touch screen warranty. Like car mfrs denying engine warranty because you upsized tyres. LOL, like WTH!!
Old 31st August 2012, 07:17   #11089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The reason HTC asks for your IMEI while unlocking is that the service centers now have your IMEI - thus, they will now discount all forms of warranty. Which is INCREDIBLY stupid, since all i have managed to do is to use a de-bloated stock ROM that has root. That should ideally have no bearing on my touch screen warranty. Like car mfrs denying engine warranty because you upsized tyres. LOL, like WTH!!
Sony also takes your IMEI number when you unlock the bootloader. I did that and then I had to go to the service center to get the touchscreen replaced. So I relocked the bootloader and got the phone back to like it was before rooting.

They didn't check anything to figure out if the phone was rooted/unlocked earlier or not. And I got the entire touchscreen assembly of my phone replaced under warranty.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:59   #11090
BHPian

Quote:

Not so quick, buster!

I know all that. I was just responding to someone who said that bootloader cannot be locked back.

BTW, the manufacturer knows best how rooting affects different components of the phone, so I don't think it's incredibly stupid or even stupid that you loose the whole warranty. Anyway, warranty is a purely contractual matter. No point invoking logic. I mean, if the contract so provides, the warranty will be void if you operate the phone while being drunk ;-)

Last edited by Athani : 31st August 2012 at 08:05.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:45   #11091
BHPian

Guys i have a nextbook premium 8(http://www.nextbookusa.com/productde...p?product_id=8) which i got as a gift. I had decided to sell it and buy a decent android phone. Turns out it won't get much interms of resale. so i've decided to keep it. As im a first time android user, can you point me a link where i can read up on things live rooting, custom roms etc. Any custom roms you suggest. Is Ics possible on it? Lack of market place is a bummer.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:52   #11092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..has the Defy and it runs the 10th August JB. Rock stable - I have not had to even face the possibility of sleeping in the balcony yet !
Gurujis: I upgraded my Defy from CM7.2 to JB 4.1.1 ParanoidAndroid V2.0 last night. All seems fine till now..but am unable to get the BT pair with my car [Fiat Punto EP]..

When the car reads out the pairing PIN, i am unable to enter that in the phone..

Any insights?
Old 31st August 2012, 10:24   #11093
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ On a similar note, I am not able to connect my Samsung bluetooth WEP450 to my Micromax A100. The bluetooth connects effortlessly to my BB, as well as the A100 also pairs effortlessly to my BB or any other mobile phone.

And it's not working both ways; neither am I able to locate the instrument when I do a search on the mobile, nor does the BT discover the mobile when it's on a visible mode.

Any pointers?
Old 31st August 2012, 10:41   #11094
Senior - BHPian

@headers: It would be nice if you can post a review with some photos as well.

Do you get the keyboard popped up when the PIN screen is active?
Try changing the keyboard app and see.
Else this should be a bug.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:42   #11095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fastbook oem lock

Voila!
Quote:
With Motorola u can do two things:
a. Reflash fresh SBF of stock ROM
b. Unroot (assuming you are on stock ROM).
Quote:
I know all that. I was just responding to someone who said that bootloader cannot be locked back.
Will someone please show me a link that boot-loader on ALL Motorola phones can be unlocked, and then re-locked, using Fastboot (not "book"). I'm keen to learn how to do that! None of the English-language forums I read through till now have any such guide/tutorial.

Because IIRC the entire discussion started from the fact that someone recommended that Motorola phones should not be bought as BL is locked and that's not a good thing

And then somewhere along the road, rooting got mixed up with locked BL and warranty was also invited to the party, thereby complicating an otherwise simple life of Motorola!
Old 31st August 2012, 11:51   #11096
Senior - BHPian

@nishant: This guide explains everything and is up-to-date.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:58   #11097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will someone please show me a link that boot-loader on ALL Motorola phones can be unlocked, and then re-locked, using Fastboot (not "book"). I'm keen to learn how to do that! None of the English-language forums I read through till now have any such guide/tutorial.

Because IIRC the entire discussion started from the fact that someone recommended that Motorola phones should not be bought as BL is locked and that's not a good thing

And then somewhere along the road, rooting got mixed up with locked BL and warranty was also invited to the party, thereby complicating an otherwise simple life of Motorola!
dada,
he is talking about HTC, who let you unlock the bootloader online. motorola doesnt let others do that.

headers man, not used paranoid android. normally what happens is that the BT often has 0000 or 1234 which the phone auto-pairs with.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:17   #11098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@nishant: This guide explains everything and is up-to-date.
Which guide? Does Fastboot work successfully on Moto? I'm curious to see!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 31st August 2012 at 12:19.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:36   #11099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which guide? Does Fastboot work successfully on Moto? I'm curious to see!
I am sorry, I missed the link in the last post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1216982

It covers all the concepts as relevant to Defy. However, there is nothing about Fastboot in there.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:46   #11100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry, I missed the link in the last post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1216982

It covers all the concepts as relevant to Defy.
This I know! In fact my first stop even before I got the phone.
Quote:
However, there is nothing about Fastboot in there.
AFAIK, Fastboot solution does not work on Moto. I'm willing to be surprised though!

OT - This just in. HTC One S for 27k (cheapest as on date) with 1 year official HTC warranty.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/261084014589#ht_3351wt_699
use Coupon HTCFIESTA1 to get 10% disc

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 31st August 2012 at 12:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks