Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 12:53   #11026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Alright, I'll take your word on that. What's important is that there is some remedy against wrongful grant of patent. When Samsung infringed the patent, it knowingly took the risk that the patents may not be set aside before the suit for infringement against them is decided. And things came to a pass. I don't think Samsung has any great grievance here.
Well I really do not care about grevience of any company earning 15-20 billions in a year , But this convoluted process for patent revocation and patet grant for of trivia in USA is not accidental, it is by design.

US forced TRIPS agrement down the throat of lots of countries in world in 1994 (Including India ), This is one of the most potent weapen to maitain trade suprimecy , power of market one may say. Before TRIPS ip rights used to be territorial in nature after TRIPS it seems to be one way street.

Just to give you an idea one of the iPhone feature ( find my phone) was patented in India 6 years back and was launched on Guru series of phones.
As per Indian law if inventor is based in India patent must be filed here first but can anyone try to enforce it in US court ? I leave it to your guess and judgement .

Lets get back to the topic of therad that is recommending phones to consumers and leave this patent thing to governments and corporates.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:04   #11027
BHPian

All these patent wars don't make any sense! Mobile manufacturers should learn to survive with peace and work with each other!
These companies are behaving like jealous housewives!
Both Apple & Samsung know that they cannot survive without each other, but still continue to battle!
Old 29th August 2012, 13:04   #11028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Thanks NinjaTalli. That is helpful. I am stuck whether to go for a 5 inch phone or a 7 inch tablet.
lol - I have both - Samsung Tab 2, and this phone.

I'm mostly stuck up with this phone, even though the former has a better screen/features. Simply because this fits in my pocket and is more than enough for my needs.

Quote:
Do you know where I can see A100 ? Any Mall or shop you visited?
I got my phone from Croma, however they got delivery of the goods only a few days earlier, so they didn't have a display piece. You could try with them, probably by now they should have one on the display.

Edit: Just noticed you are from Bombay. This is Croma, R City Mall, Ghatkopar I'm talking about. Also you are free to drive down to Pune to have a look at my phone

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th August 2012 at 13:12.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:11   #11029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Well I really do not care about grevience of any company earning 15-20 billions in a year , But this convoluted process for patent revocation and patet grant for of trivia in USA is not accidental, it is by design.

US forced TRIPS agrement down the throat of lots of countries in world in 1994 (Including India ), This is one of the most potent weapen to maitain trade suprimecy , power of market one may say. Before TRIPS ip rights used to be territorial in nature after TRIPS it seems to be one way street.

Just to give you an idea one of the iPhone feature ( find my phone) was patented in India 6 years back and was launched on Guru series of phones.
As per Indian law if inventor is based in India patent must be filed here first but can anyone try to enforce it in US court ? I leave it to your guess and judgement .

Lets get back to the topic of therad that is recommending phones to consumers and leave this patent thing to governments and corporates.
A patent granted in a Convention country can be enforced in any other Convention country. So yes, an Indian patent can be enforced in the US.

So this has nothing to do with the US procedures. US companies have found themselves of the receiving end in US Courts on many occasions.

Yes, let's get back to the topic :-)

Last edited by Athani : 29th August 2012 at 13:12.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:25   #11030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Edit: Just noticed you are from Bombay. This is Croma, R City Mall, Ghatkopar I'm talking about. Also you are free to drive down to Pune to have a look at my phone
I am from Pune I would visit Croma Aundh this weekend.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:40   #11031
BHPian

Cause of concern for all Motorola owners?

Motorola shuts down operations in Asia Pacific - GSMArena.com news

Although it is not officially confirmed, I suppose this move was coming. GSMArena is quoting BGRIndia as the news source.

Last edited by Saanil : 29th August 2012 at 13:41.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:50   #11032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am from Pune I would visit Croma Aundh this weekend.
Oh! Dunno why I read it as Bombay!

In case you don't get a display piece there, then just move a bit ahead from Aundh towards Sanghvi - I stay there only.

Guess we can continue this later on PM.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:58   #11033
BHPian

My mother suddenly felt the need of e mail on the go for her school work. I was in the lookout for a decent android mobile which would have e mail and a big screen(big refering to anything at 3.5inches). She did not like bigger mobiles and calls my Galaxy note a bread slice.

I had not many options apart from the Galaxy ace(previously owned). Yesterday i saw the zte blade which is a Dell Xcd35 with 256 mb ram. It was available on Ebay for 5190 with 1 year warranty. Listed as idea zte blade. I got the mobile immediately.

The specs look mind blowing for a mobile of 5190. Awaiting delivery of the mobile. Has anyone here used it. This mobile also supports Cynaogen mod officially and developer community has tried porting ICS and JB also. Please tell me your review if anyone has first hand experience.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:00   #11034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Oh! Dunno why I read it as Bombay!

In case you don't get a display piece there, then just move a bit ahead from Aundh towards Sanghvi - I stay there only.

Guess we can continue this later on PM.
Thanks for the review of the phone

BTW I went to croma, vijay sales, next, digi world etc etc. No one stocks Micromax phone except Croma, where A100 was available, No A90 though. Even A100 was out of stock.

They said there is huge demand for A100.

I have two phone in mind, A90 and One v, I am inclined towards A90, Let's see when i get one to check out.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 29th August 2012, 14:12   #11035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
My mother suddenly felt the need of e mail on the go for her school work. I was in the lookout for a decent android mobile which would have e mail and a big screen(big refering to anything at 3.5inches). She did not like bigger mobiles and calls my Galaxy note a bread slice.

I had not many options apart from the Galaxy ace(previously owned). Yesterday i saw the zte blade which is a Dell Xcd35 with 256 mb ram. It was available on Ebay for 5190 with 1 year warranty. Listed as idea zte blade. I got the mobile immediately.

The specs look mind blowing for a mobile of 5190. Awaiting delivery of the mobile. Has anyone here used it. This mobile also supports Cynaogen mod officially and developer community has tried porting ICS and JB also. Please tell me your review if anyone has first hand experience.
I have Dell XCD35 and its awesome. I bought the gen2 model (With 512 MB RAM). I have Cynogen 7 on it which runs the GB 2.3.7. The best thing about this phone is that it has 800*480 resolution 3.5 inch screen. The best ever under 10K when I bought it. I got it for 8.5K. Planning to move to ICS this weekend. This phone has got tremendous dev support.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:38   #11036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Cause of concern for all Motorola owners?

Motorola shuts down operations in Asia Pacific - GSMArena.com news

Although it is not officially confirmed, I suppose this move was coming. GSMArena is quoting BGRIndia as the news source.
Oh No! I just got my Motorola Defy Plus two days back!
Old 29th August 2012, 15:06   #11037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
Oh No! I just got my Motorola Defy Plus two days back!
Don't worry. The service centres are not closing just yet.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:14   #11038
BANNED

Here is the BGR News.
Goodbye Moto! Motorola to shut shop in India, Asia Pacific | Video & Photo Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India

Quote:
Motorola is shutting down its operations in India and across Asia Pacific, industry sources have confirmed to BGR India. The news comes after Motorola Mobility CEO, Dennis Woodside, confirmed the company would be letting go of 20 percent of its workforce and would be shrinking its India operations. Emails and calls to Motorola Mobility’s APAC region PR and employees at Motorola Mobility India remain unanswered.

From the way things look like, only those employees who are working on projects related to products in the US will retain their jobs. Motorola will continue to sell its products till stocks last and its service centers will continue to function. Independent real estate companies have confirmed that Motorola’s Hyderabad R&D facility property has been put up for sale.

In the APAC region, the company will shut shop in all countries but Australia and Korea. It turns out that the APAC region bore the brunt of Motorola’s decision to close a third of its 94 global offices. Woodside had earlier indicated the company would exit unprofitable markets, stop making low-end devices and focus on a few cellphones instead of dozens.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:41   #11039
Senior - BHPian

This is for Software R&D operations , I heard Hydrabad office is being closed with some employees getting option to shift to Pune. Bangalore will continue with reduced strength.

IMHO this in no way impacts consumers because these operations never served consumers directly. But this will bring lot of manpower to market and depress wages in the sector for atleast one more year.

My prediction is that in very long term ( approx 3 years) if the sales do not improve Google may wind up the company anyway the real asset was the patents.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th August 2012 at 15:42.
Old 29th August 2012, 16:37   #11040
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for helping me out with making a decision on my next phone.

To bring closure to my question here, I should update that I have just placed an order for HTC One S, for 25K INR.
Finally it came down to a shootout between S2 and HOS, and after much deliberation, I decided to spend a couple of thousand bucks more and go for the more modern phone.

My evaluation of this phone against my original requirements list:

Android - ICS
Less than 20K INR - This was later increased to 25K INR. So, this just about made the cut.
At least a Dual Core processor - Yes and a pretty good one at that (1.5 Dual). I preferred the international version over the Indian version
Great Screen - SAMOLED. S2 might be better, but this is no slouch either.
Eminently Rootable and customizable (intend to root on Day 1) - Let's see....
1GB Ram - Yes
In built memory is not a Must, External memory is a Must - This is where I completely flipped. This does not have an expandable memory but comes with inbuilt 16 GB.
Strong build quality. I intend to be in the muck in 15-20 days time again - Intend to get a protective jacket.

High resolution screen (not HD) - Yes
5 MP Camera of good quality at least, with LED Flash - 8 MP and fantastic results from what I have been able to research
Manufacturer Warranty not required - 6 month Dealer warranty
Shouldn't look like holding a Notebook to my head! - Quite a nice size and looks good IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks