Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:06   #11161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
I directly upgraded from Gingerbread to 4.04 (was bit apprehensive about 4.03 update) so I was not familiar with 'restart icons !
Post update I'm noticing that the ram utilisation has increased a lot (450- 600 vs 300 - 400 with GB). Not that it really bothers now as far as the speed is good.
Good to hear that. Since you directly upgraded from GB you will notice the difference. I noticed only few including improved battery backup. I easily get 2-3 days backup. The only problem is that the contact list takes time to load. But better now. Anyways, I use a third party application for the contacts which loads in a flash.
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:43   #11162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello,

Any Samsung Galaxy S Advance users in the house. I purchased this phone 2 weeks ago for wifey. Brilliant phone over all. Since last 2 days we have been facing network loss issues. randomly the phone just leaves the network and in the status bar it shows me " NO SERVICE" i was planning to take it to service center today but thought i do some home work before taking and it seems its a known issue by many users across.
http://www.grahakseva.com/complaints...comment-159582

I could not find any proper solutions to this. Incase any body here has found any here, please let me know.

Regards,
Same problem in my quite old Moto Quench XT3 running on 2.1, randomly shows that NO SERVICE. After seraching the network operator it could not register on it sometimes and needs the restart. Two restart per day.
After getting restart the problem resolves. I am facing this problem since last one month or so.
Looking for a new mobile Xperia U (problem is small battery 1320mAh) or Atrix 2 (again a Moto, heart says no)
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:32   #11163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
2. After this, install BatteryCalibration and just click Battery Calibration on the screen. It will delete the file 'data\system\batterystats.bin' and then generate a new one when you reboot.
I think this fixed the problem. Now the Defy is at 64% after 12 hours. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:47   #11164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Same problem in my quite old Moto Quench XT3 running on 2.1, randomly shows that NO SERVICE. After seraching the network operator it could not register on it sometimes and needs the restart. Two restart per day.
After getting restart the problem resolves. I am facing this problem since last one month or so.
Looking for a new mobile Xperia U (problem is small battery 1320mAh) or Atrix 2 (again a Moto, heart says no)
I got my wifes old Moto Quench XT3 to the Xperia U and we are very happy with the upgrade. Great performance and battery lasts a day without any issues with Wifi On most of the time for WhatApp

I got it grey for 12.5k and sold the old quench for 2.5k, so 10k is not a bad deal for dual core phone.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:52   #11165
Senior - BHPian

Still no stocks of the Micromax A90 in Bangalore! Snobbish stores like Croma and Sangeetha turned up their noses when I asked them for it and small stores still have not got stocks. They say sometime later this week. One of the smaller stores had offered me 4K for the P500 - so an exchange will be worth it. Can't wait
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:58   #11166
Senior - BHPian

Got the One that I've been Waiting for
I've had my eyes on you ever since you were born...

My new HTC One V.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc_2594.jpg

A short Review uploaded on my blog

Quote:
For the last one month I was busy reading/watching reviews of almost every android smartphone available in 20K category. There are many phones in this segment ranging from Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, Samsung S Advance, ‘N’ number of Sony Xperia models like GO, P, U, Sola etc and the HTC One V. I did not considered Nokia/Motorola phones for the reason everyone must be aware of.

I shortlisted Sony Xperia Sola, Xperia U, Samsung Galaxy S Advance and the HTC One V. Xperia U was ruled out as soon as I got to know that it doesn’t have expandable memory slot. Galaxy S Advance too was out of my list as it is not getting ICS and subsequent updates for unknown reasons, don’t know why Samsung is ruining such a good phone. I hardly can see any craze for this phone at XDA forums too. How I wish Samsung provided ICS with this device, Sigh!

Now I was left only with two possible choices – Sony Xperia Sola and HTC One V. Buying a phone in 20K category is very complicated task. Plonking 20,000 Rupees on a mobile is not easy.
No phone in 20K category is perfect – all manufacturers deliberately left out one or other features to create confusion in customer’s mind. Consider Sony here, there are ‘N’ number of Xperia models, no one can remember complete Xperia lineup at one time. In Xperia U they have deliberately removed expandable storage facility and added front camera & removable battery, In Xperia Sola, Sony has added expandable storage facility but removed front camera and removable battery option + Sola is around 3-4K dearer than Xperia U. Why just they can’t make a XPERIA ‘Complete’?

These days companies have promised themselves that they will not sell a complete package to customers, they just want to puzzle them and rob them of their hard earned money. In such conditions customers have no choice but to fall prey to companies. However they can get the one they want by clearly writing their requirements like I did in this case. Just take a pen/paper, write all your requirements and then select a device, tick all requirements fulfilled by it, repeat this process with other devices as well and see which device fulfills maximum user requirements.

In my case I neither could increase my budget and grab the biggies like S III, Iphone4s or One X nor decrease it. So it has to be between Xperia Sola and HTC One V.

My usage includes –
-> Basic phone usage i.e. incoming/outgoing calls and SMSes.
->Photography
-> Internet browsing/Email
-> Music listening
-> Watching movies/YouTube videos
-> Good screen/looks

I wanted the new phone to have excellent battery life/reliability/snob value.

Sony Xperia Sola vs. HTC One V

Pros of Sony Xperia Sola
è Dual core processor
è More internal memory
è NFC enabled
è Good camera

Cons of Sony Xperia Sola

è Ships with Android 2.3
è Poor battery life

Pros of HTC One V

è Looks
è SLCD2 Screen
è Best in class camera
è Ships with latest android + HTC UI.
è Snob Value
è Beats audio

Cons of HTC One V

è Single core processor
è Low internal memory for user data.

I finally zeroed in for HTC One V for its best in class camera which comes with dedicated image chip which provides features like burst mode etc, great screen and good audio quality. It has authentic camera & amazing sound. It lacks the horsepower of Xperia Sola but it will not bother me as I hardly play any games on mobile phones. For serious gamers Xperia Sola will be the right smartphone. And don’t take me wrong – One V does not lag/hangs while playing games/browsing internet and various other activities. So don’t worry it’s just the right mid-range smartphone for you. The interface is super smooth, switching between applications is responsive and easy. Camera is just excellent for my photography needs.

One V comes with poor internal memory so you need the 8GBcard that comes free with it immediately to store your music/photos collection & other documents. However it still comes with 4GB internal memory(user available is very less) and 25 GB dropbox storage free for two years.

I got this device for 18.5K from DASS STUDIOS, Connaught place. I know price is higher than what I could have got through online stores but I am not open to online purchases when it comes to electronic items- the courier guys handles the device very badly(past experiences). With this an 8GB Card, Philips Bluetooth Headset and Airtel internet pack comes as freebies.

At the end of the day I am very happy with the purchase I have made -> do what your heart calls for!

So I got my essential smartphone – Got the One ‘V’ I’ve been waiting for J

PS – The views/opinions in this review are my own based on personal experience in the purchase process and this may vary from person to person.

Thanks for reading folks.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:56   #11167
Distinguished - BHPian

Unable to browse with WiFi

Facing a wierd problem. I can connect to wifi in my home but cant browse anything. Status shows connected in phone. My laptop connects and works seamlessly. DHCP is enabled in the wifi router and i also tried with static IP and DNS settings on phone.No use. I use Galaxy S . Any pointers will be helpful
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:49   #11168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
Facing a wierd problem. I can connect to wifi in my home but cant browse anything. Status shows connected in phone. My laptop connects and works seamlessly. DHCP is enabled in the wifi router and i also tried with static IP and DNS settings on phone.No use. I use Galaxy S . Any pointers will be helpful
This is a typical wifi bug in 4.0.3 Ics. To resolve, switch your phone off and take out the battery for 30 sec. Then after restarting it should work fine. Also if you are using multiple softwares to manage your connection, disable them and use only the default settings to control wifi.
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:13   #11169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
No, It was last year's news. The LG Canada has refused any updates for 2011 manufactured phones. LG Optimus 2x and Optimus black are not getting ICS updates.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/0...lg-optimus-2x/
Well, true. It is last year's news : http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...34420639902596
However, i still dont see a reason to not believe the above news (on FB). The LG Canada twitter page could be Canada specfic. Lets just saw i am one of those hopeful ones... .

EDIT: I just saw that optimus 2x has already got ICS in Korea. Which is contrary to what the LG Canada update says. It does not mean anything for Optimus Black yet, but it definitely proves that what may be true for Canada need not be true for India.

Last edited by deep_bang : 3rd September 2012 at 22:18.
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:17   #11170

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Well, true. It is last year's news : http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...34420639902596
However, i still dont see a reason to not believe the above news (on FB). The LG Canada twitter page could be Canada specfic. Lets just saw i am one of those hopeful ones...
which one do u have?

Optimus Black or Optimus 2x ?

If yes, Have u rooted your Optimus?
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:27   #11171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

This is a typical wifi bug in 4.0.3 Ics. To resolve, switch your phone off and take out the battery for 30 sec. Then after restarting it should work fine. Also if you are using multiple softwares to manage your connection, disable them and use only the default settings to control wifi.
Thanks it worked after I did what you mentioned in your post. Connects and browses too!!
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:40   #11172
BHPian

Re: Phone Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I urge all Android Experts here to suggest me an Android phone. ....
I had initially finalized on HTC one S, but,after hearing about them short changing Indian customers by offering an old processor (S3 architecture) than S4 Krait, I was put off.

I decided to go against the grain on this decision and bought an Atrix2. I actually had to deposit Rs. 600 for ordering, such a rarity Moto has become. I found the initial operation to be laggy (Menu etc.), but, it improved after an hour of use.

I am a fan of its plain,understated looks.
Old 4th September 2012, 07:05   #11173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool

which one do u have?

Optimus Black or Optimus 2x ?

If yes, Have u rooted your Optimus?
I have an Optimus black and have not yet rooted the phone. My phone's stock firmware is v20g. I did try to root it once but did not succeed. Apparently the v10 versions are easy to root while the v20 ones are a little more complex.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:19   #11174
BHPian

Motorola closing down their operations in india. Does it mean that there will be no service centres of there phones as well?

Yesterday, Reliance digital showes a price of 10.9K for the only piece left for defy+ mobile. What an incredible price!!
Old 4th September 2012, 12:53   #11175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I got my wifes old Moto Quench XT3 to the Xperia U and we are very happy with the upgrade. Great performance and battery lasts a day without any issues with Wifi On most of the time for WhatApp

I got it grey for 12.5k and sold the old quench for 2.5k, so 10k is not a bad deal for dual core phone.

Hope this helps.
Its nice to hear that Xperia U battery last a day after heavy usage of wifi.
Even Sony has launched the battery BA600 for Xperiu U, but the correct specifications are not available. It may be 1500, 1700, 2000 or 2200 mAh as per google search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks