Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2012, 19:21   #10411
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'll be going to USA in a few days and have to decide which phone I use there. I already have a Windows Phone so plan to use an Android now.

As per the connection I plan to take, the following phones are available to me : Samsung Infuse 4G, Motorola Atrix 2 and Samsung Captivate. Which is the better one?

I'd like it to be 4G, have a good RAM and upgradable to ICS (but not at the cost of performance).

Help please
Old 29th July 2012, 21:21   #10412
Senior - BHPian

Do you have good credit score to take a contract?

The phones you have listed are old, I didn't know captivate was still available. But of the three Skyrocket is relatively new. It's quite similar to Galaxy S2. Also it might be the only one to support 4G
Old 30th July 2012, 10:57   #10413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak
Ethan, I beg to differ, If HTC was superior in all the things mentioned by you then it would have been the best phone in the world and not SGS3, SGS3 does not have cheap plastics but only plastic, now coming to why plastic when other phones are doubling up as weights for muscle building, in my opinion it is to ensure that body weight is kept low so that a fall will not have a major impact and also sleekness can be maintained. If you would have held phone in your hand then I don't think this comment would have come.

Camera, there is a very marginal difference which can be identified only by a professional, but a professional will prefer using a proper DSLR/SLR for photography and not camera.

Screen, Well for your infor SGS3 has the best screen as on date, its viewing angles are great and even in Sunlight it has the most easily viewable screen.

Sound quality have read in many blogs that inspite of HTC using Beats software for quality, it looses to SGS3 in this department to. GSMAREAN had carried out a comparison which you can refer.

Would love to hear and correct myself in case I'm wrong anywhere.
Ok now

1. Camera - just use them side by side. Specially in dark environments HOX trumps the S3. Real world use. Not reviews.

2. Screen - put bot both phones side by side. Hox has a more brighter and popping screen than S3. As a result it has better sunlight visibility. S3 obviously shows blacks better but the amount of pop you get from HOX is not there. Because of this the white's are true. Whereas on S3 the white looks blue. Check your browser for this. It has a blue tint to it because of Amoled. And the best amoled screen is Galaxy Note which is amoled +.

3. Sound - again test it in real life. Not reviews. I have tested both with headphones on. The sound levels too are better on HOX. Its louder on hox whereas S3 is not loud enough even with the volume cranked up. This has been a problem with all galaxy sets including note, s2 etc..

Rest i am sure S3 beats Hox in memory and battery department but that too is on paper. In real life the average battery usage is almost same. Also 32gb is more than enough. But well you cant argue as samsung has done it rite by giving these options.

Last edited by ethan3686 : 30th July 2012 at 11:00.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:21   #10414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti
I've noticed that there are some versions of the galaxy S3 which come with 2gb ram...!

Will the 2gb version outlast/outperform the 1gb version ?

Will the 2gb version have more longevity and get more OS updates than the 1gb version...?
my query a few days ago got lost in a deluge of other conversations, so.... bump :-)
Old 30th July 2012, 11:39   #10415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, the devs are releasing new versions all the time. There is a new one released last night with some more fixes.

I am hoping that the beta is out soon.
Isn't 'nightly' supposed to mean exactly that? If you are not too keen on the latest, wait for the stable/RC version to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Folks, I got word from my dad that my new Mobile can be as expensive as I want it to be. His employer gives him a budget to buy gadgets every year for family. So, I need quick help as the bar has been raised. Please let me know your choice from the top android Mobiles and a brief reason for choosing it. I have shortlisted the following:

1. Motorola Razr Maxx - 31K
2. Samsung Galaxy S3 - 38K
3. HTC One X - 36K
4. iPhone 4s - 43K

I can't think of anything else, you you can; do let me know.
I'd say HTC One X, simply because it gives more bang for your buck (even if it is someone else's money). Yes S3 is equally capable and both are neck-to-neck in terms of features; but still HTC looks way more sophisticated and well built. Sense 4 is a treat over TouchWiz anyday too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Motorola Atrix 2 @ 20720 Rs. On infi beam. Is that a good deal?
Should I expect a good battery life ( should las more than a day with average use) with this phone? Is this upgradable to ICS?
Awesome deal. Go ahead and buy. I think there's a list on Moto's website having names of devices that are going to receive official ICS update and Atrix 2 was in it IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'll be going to USA in a few days and have to decide which phone I use there. I already have a Windows Phone so plan to use an Android now.

As per the connection I plan to take, the following phones are available to me : Samsung Infuse 4G, Motorola Atrix 2 and Samsung Captivate. Which is the better one?

I'd like it to be 4G, have a good RAM and upgradable to ICS (but not at the cost of performance).

Help please
Captivate and Infuse are old models right? Atrix 2 is better out of the three. Aren't you getting the legendary Samsung Galaxy Nexus? It's already on JellyBean!
Old 30th July 2012, 12:13   #10416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
And the best amoled screen is Galaxy Note which is amoled +.
Nope, the only phone with the SAMOLED+ screen is the Galaxy S2. The Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy SIII, all use the pentile SAMOLED HD screens, but the screen of the SIII is better than the other 2.
Old 30th July 2012, 13:57   #10417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Nope, the only phone with the SAMOLED+ screen is the Galaxy S2. The Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy SIII, all use the pentile SAMOLED HD screens, but the screen of the SIII is better than the other 2.
Isn't S3 too a pentile? I too felt while playing around with an S3 that it has a slight bluish tint. So I guess pentile is the villain.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:14   #10418
BHPian

Guys, thanks a lot for all your comments. I don't want to start a S3 VS One X war either so I will be reading on Tech2, Cnet etc about comparisons. I have no knowledge on either brands but I am assuming since Google went with Samsung for their latest Nexus, it may have an edge over HTC. This, despite the fact that Google owns Motorola.
I also feel despite S3 being dime a dozen and plastic(y), the service support and network could be better than HTC.
But I gotta read, for some reason nobody picked the Motorola Razr Maxx.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:30   #10419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
But I gotta read, for some reason nobody picked the Motorola Razr Maxx.
Razr Maxx - too old, too late and too pricy for what it offers. Skip it - You can get 720p phones for that price. Better buy is the Note.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:38   #10420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Any particular reason for not considering the Galaxy Note?
The Note is a little too big sized to fit into the pocket and be used as a regular phone.
So that is the reason it was ruled out.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:40   #10421
BHPian

Decided to go ahead with S3. Can somebody help me understand what is all the confusion about the color? It is only available in white and Blue is what I have been reading on Google. I will try to go after work and take a look at both in store as I have never seen one.
However, there is a lot of debate that the white is not white and the blue is almost grey.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:52   #10422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, there is a lot of debate that the white is not white and the blue is almost grey.
White is white and Blue is greyish blue. Some like the white while i prefer the blue. The blue looks more subtle than the glaring white.

Its not half white, but white.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:00   #10423
BHPian

Bought an unlocked Galaxy SII I777 from EBAY for 22.5k as deal of the day. Dual core monster is blazing fast compared to single core machines.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:06   #10424
BHPian

Hello Friends, I am looking to buy my wife an Android phone in the vicinity of 15K. She currently used Moto XT502 with CM and I use modded S2, so the difference in performance/screen/camera is glaringly visible.

Please suggest which model is the best for Performance, Camera, Screen and App Usable Internal Memory (in that order of preference). Along with that if the Phone looks good then nothing like it, but Looks are not the most important. A quick google search gives some options and the following look attractive
-Defy+ (but dont see it in the market too much),
-Neo V (hope to find one ~15k)
-One V (seems out of my range at ~19k).

I need to make a decision before EID, please help me choosing one of these 3 or suggest any other ones.

Awaiting your response.

Last edited by Zenster : 30th July 2012 at 20:17.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:21   #10425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hello Friends, I am looking to buy my wife an Android phone in the vicinity of 15K. She currently used Moto XT502 with CM and I use modded S2, so the difference in performance/screen/camera is glaringly visible.

Please suggest which model is the best for Performance, Camera, Screen and App Usable Internal Memory (in that order of preference). Along with that if the Phone looks good then nothing like it, but Looks are not the most important. A quick google search gives some options and the following look attractive
-Defy+ (but dont see it in the market too much),
-Neo V (hope to find one ~15k)
-One V (seems out of my range at ~19k).

I need to make a decision before EID, please help me choosing one of these 3 or suggest any other ones.

Awaiting your response.
How about a Xperia U? It looks pretty feminine. Moto defy + is also very good at that price point. You should read up a little on Tech2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks