Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 18:38   #10366
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Atrix is 23K while the new Galaxy Nexus is 30K on ebay. They are not at the same price point. Also, Atrix has Motorola India warranty while the Nexus doesn't.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:41   #10367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Atrix is 23K while the new Galaxy Nexus is 30K on ebay. They are not at the same price point. Also, Atrix has Motorola India warranty while the Nexus doesn't.
Atrix 2 is 21-22kk online and Samsung Google Nexus is 23k in stores (Alfa, Mumbai, today's price). So they are the same price point! Even if you want to buy Nexus online and get it via a friend from US, it will cost you almost the same.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:46   #10368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Atrix 2 is 21-22kk online and Samsung Google Nexus is 23k in stores (Alfa, Mumbai, today's price). So they are the same price point! Even if you want to buy Nexus online and get it via a friend from US, it will cost you almost the same.
I bought the Atrix-2 for Rs. 18.2K from Homeshop18 about 15-20 days ago on one of those superdeals of theirs. These deals do repeat periodically (I had missed the same when it appeared on that deal once before, but managed to catch it the second time around), so if you're willing to wait a while, you might see the same deal once again..
Old 27th July 2012, 23:00   #10369
Senior - BHPian

There are some good prices being offered by Sulekha, Infibeam and BuyThePrice. However, I've never shopped with them before. How reliable are these vendors?
Old 27th July 2012, 23:07   #10370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
+1 to that. at that price point Nexus is the way to go. Brilliant phone and you are never left out for official OS updates. If you are confused between Defy + & Defy XT, i would once again recon Defy +. Cuz once you on CM both are pretty much same.

I just flashed the 26/7 CM10 built with a Minimal gapps package. My phone is crazily smooth now. be it emails / app opening / sms etc. Phone is very much responsive now. Doesnt feel like a 1Ghz "mid" range android any more.

Regards,
I just checked out Defy+, XT and Xperia U a while back. While XT looks a lot slimmer and sleeker, lower internal memory will be a pain point. Plus is cheaper too. Made up my mind for it.

Xperia looks very feminine and plasticky. More suited for college kids I feel.

Just one more question h@r$h@l - I could not see 'gyroscope' sensor in Plus. Does it not auto rotate between horizontal and vertical orientation? I am confused, as I thought that's a basic sensor and kinda there by default on even low end Androids.

EDIT - Saw some Youtube video reviews. Gyro sensor is very much present. Was also delighted to see CM9 (ICS 4.0.3) running pretty snappy!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 27th July 2012 at 23:29.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:45   #10371
BHPian

@ All android fanatics and gurus out there.

Is there an update for Samsung Galazy R (GT-I9103) ? It still runs on Gingerbread 2.3.5.

Can you guys suggest me a makeover from the basic Touchwiz ? Any link with a tutorial will be very helpful. I would like to upgrade to ICS.

Is there any significant point behind removing support for flash in the Jelly bean ?

I would like to play around with my phone and its look, may be make it more smoother. need some help and insights.

Cheers,
Chaos
Old 28th July 2012, 01:36   #10372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are some good prices being offered by Sulekha, Infibeam and BuyThePrice. However, I've never shopped with them before. How reliable are these vendors?
All three are ok, depending on price. All 3 generally ship fast. However, IIRC, Infi gives replacement guarantee in case you get a defective handset. Not sure about Buytheprice... just check it out. Both have good customer service. Sulekha customer service is not quite upto the mark. And AFAIK, if you get a defective handset, they will point you to the service center. So, I'm sure you've guessed the order of preference I'm hinting at...
Old 28th July 2012, 02:55   #10373
BHPian

Quote:
I just flashed the 26/7 CM10 built with a Minimal gapps package. My phone is crazily smooth now. be it emails / app opening / sms etc. Phone is very much responsive now. Doesnt feel like a 1Ghz "mid" range android any more.

Regards,
I have also flashed the 26th July CM10 nightly of quarx, then after a while as 27th build was also uploaded, i flashed that as well. Gotta admit that jelly Bean is way much smoother & faster than the ICS. Its more like Eclair 2.1 vs GB 2.3.
Lets see if Butter smoothness can be incorporated on our Defy as it still has LOCKED BOOTLOADER

Also, if anyone with Defy red lens, make sure you install the ICS Red lens battery fix, as it was showing only 1% charged on my phone when I flashed only the 27th July build over the 26th one.

NOTE: There is no File Explorer present there on CM10, we have to install it from Play store.
Old 28th July 2012, 03:25   #10374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Problem is for everything the bootloader needs to be unlocked first.

Now, if I try unlocking the bootloader, then the process wipes everything on the phone! I'll lose all data, contacts etc.

Before running the bootloader unlock program I want to take backup of all my apps, sms, phone numbers etc. Now how to do that ?
You don't need to root for backing up all that. There are solutions that will do that without rooting. Heck, even ES File Explorer can back up your apps. It can't back up app data though. There was at least one other small back up app that could also do this without rooting, but I can't recall its name right now. There must be others too. Same with SMSes. Phone nos, call logs, WiFi settings and such can be backed up to your Google ac. Else you can export phone nos to your SD card or on a cloud storage and import it back later.

I have an issue myself, and I hope someone can help - some mp3 files I play are rather low on volume. I can get them to play loud enough on a comp after fiddling with settings. Unable to do so on the phone. Is there any solution for amplifying the audio on a phone? Some player perhaps? Currently I only have the stock payer on the phone.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2012 at 03:30.
Old 28th July 2012, 08:13   #10375
BHPian

I need help on choosing fuel management app with automatic cloud sync... anyone experienced such an android app? I looked out aCar and my cars.. but both lacking proper cloud sync. my cars says it does supports google sync, but it requires system level settings needed for backup, which means it will get affected for other apps, obviously which i dont want.

The reason why i need automatic cloud sync is, i change mobiles quite often and also flash custom ROMs very often. In that case during flashing i might forget sometime to take backup, of-course i use titanium backup, but it will be good if automatic backup feature was there.

Anyone experienced such a app? Also which one is best considering indian conditions, aCar or my cars?
Old 28th July 2012, 09:55   #10376
Distinguished - BHPian

Some hope for Motorola handset owners -

Moto will unlock the BL on the Photon and has indicated it will do so for other models too. The catch is it does not specify if unlocking will only be for new models to be introduced or existing ones as well.

Motorola PHOTON

PS - knowing Moto I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th July 2012 at 09:56.
Old 28th July 2012, 11:32   #10377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw some Youtube video reviews. Gyro sensor is very much present. Was also delighted to see CM9 (ICS 4.0.3) running pretty snappy!
Nishant

I just checked homeshop18, they have a on going deal for Defy XT. 13395/-.

HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Toshiba LED, LCD TV, HTC Sensation XL, BlackBerry Curve 9380, Godrej washing machine, Apple iPad 3

Regards,
Old 28th July 2012, 12:11   #10378
BHPian

Is CM10 working on Defy XT?? I think it is only for Defy and Defy+. As the Defy XT is with MotoSwitch 2.
Any one with Defy XT here pls let us know..
Old 28th July 2012, 13:04   #10379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I have also flashed the 26th July CM10 nightly of quarx, then after a while as 27th build was also uploaded, i flashed that as well. Gotta admit that jelly Bean is way much smoother & faster than the ICS. Its more like Eclair 2.1 vs GB 2.3.
Lets see if Butter smoothness can be incorporated on our Defy as it still has LOCKED BOOTLOADER

Also, if anyone with Defy red lens, make sure you install the ICS Red lens battery fix, as it was showing only 1% charged on my phone when I flashed only the 27th July build over the 26th one.

NOTE: There is no File Explorer present there on CM10, we have to install it from Play store.
@offroad_maniac - Do you have the Defy or Defy+?
Quote:
Nishant

I just checked homeshop18, they have a on going deal for Defy XT. 13395/-.

HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Toshiba LED, LCD TV, HTC Sensation XL, BlackBerry Curve 9380, Godrej washing machine, Apple iPad 3

Regards,
Thanks for the lead @h@r$h@l! However, that deal is for Defy XT. I got a good deal at Infibeam for Defy+ at Rs 12,749 and just placed the order. In fact, BuyThePrice is also giving a great deal on this phone for Rs 13,149.

All - I discovered this website MySmartPrice: Mobile Phone Price in India which gives you price comparison across all online vendors.

There's also PriceCheckIndia - Camera, Mobile Phone Price in India but I found MySmartPrice having a more comprehensive meta search engine.

For local shop (offline prices), you can query on PriceBaba | Get the best prices around you

EDIT - For anybody having doubts on how good CM9/ICS runs on Defy+, do see these vids

and

Btw, these are 3-5 month old videos. I read the XDA developers page for Defy+ and a lot of progress has happened. There's an almost fully functional ICS port ready!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 28th July 2012 at 13:13.
Old 28th July 2012, 13:06   #10380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I got a better deal at Infibeam (Rs 12,749) and just placed the order. In fact, BuyThePrice is also giving a great deal on this phone for Rs 13,149.
So finally you settled for Defy XT or Defy +?
EDIT : Just looked up Infibeam, you getting Defy Plus for 12749. Homeshop18 is offering Defy XT at 13395/-.

If its XT, please update here on your initial impressions on the UI and other things too. I am on a look out for Entry / Mid Range device for wifey. XT is top of the list at the moment.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 28th July 2012 at 13:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks