Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 01:18   #10501
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So its a 13000rs unlocked phone, no contract needed?
I think there will be minimal usage criteria, for example, you need to be on Aircel network for a year or so whatever
This is being discussed concurrently in the iPhone thread sir. here is the linkhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2861147
Old 4th August 2012, 03:16   #10502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So its a 13000rs unlocked phone, no contract needed?
I think there will be minimal usage criteria, for example, you need to be on Aircel network for a year or so whatever
Its Rs. 9999 for the Handset and Rs. 3000 for the advance rental plan of 6 months. So even if you don't need the connection, the effective cost is Rs. 12999.

The phone is unlocked and can be used with any service provider. You can simply buy the SIM and forget about it.

The advance rental plan gives you 2GB of data usage (2G network in Delhi) with 1000 Minutes and a few hundred SMS's.

Link Here:
http://www.aircel.com/AircelWar/appm...11306046919306

Last edited by amit_2025 : 4th August 2012 at 03:18.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:09   #10503
Team-BHP Support

Lets not go offtopic, as this is being discussed in iphone thread.
Old 4th August 2012, 10:22   #10504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir regarding this hardbrick issue with the XXLPY firmwares, Ive a question. I was watching this video on yt regarding rooting and they spoke of Kernel.
@Parthasarathig.

The problem is when you hit the factory reset when the EMMC error occurs.

Ways to avoid:- If you are in stock ICS

(You have to be Rooted)

Download CM9, Panandroid or any Custom ICS ROM
Download Abyss Kernel.

GO to recovery and flash AByss kernel.
Restart and reboot to Recovery.
Flash the Custom ROM

Wipe data, cache, dalvik etc.

Reload and use the New ROM

Now for absolutely safest way to flash this ICS

- Download stock GB Rom for ICS from the DR KEtan Thread below.
[STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1place,Latest 4.0.4 - xda-developers

Take the below ROM and flash it in PC ODIN
N7000XXKL3 ------ 2.3.6 2011 December-------- N7000ODDKL1 --------------------India -----------------------------Download - Mirror (devhost premium)

Root the device again using some of the root methods.

Flash your ICS Custom rom and be assured you will have no problems.

Once flashed with Custom ROM and CM9 based roms like Panandroid, you have no issues with EMMC.

Hope this helps

Flash Abyss Kernel. Re

There are two ways to do this:-
Old 4th August 2012, 10:27   #10505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Sir regarding this hardbrick issue with the XXLPY firmwares, Ive a question. I was watching this video on yt regarding rooting and they spoke of Kernel.
How to Root ICS on Galaxy Note GT-N7000! - YouTube

Here towards the end of the video they say that if the kernel is changed then we wont have any hardbrick or eMMC issues. So should i flash their kernel? Ive already rooted according to the video tutorial, but will adding the kernel allow me to prevent hardbricks when doing factory reset or deleting files?

Also to get Paranoid Android rom do I need to get back to GB or i can flash from ICS itself? (I wasnt able to understand the downgrading part; hence the question )

Thanks again.
Just follow the instructions on the official paranoid android thread. They will give you a kernel to flash. Also they will give you the Abyss kernel which is a safe method. But to be more safe, yes you have to get back to a GB rom before flashing this.

Here is the thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1662802

Last edited by ethan3686 : 4th August 2012 at 10:33.
Old 4th August 2012, 10:55   #10506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Just follow the instructions on the official paranoid android thread. They will give you a kernel to flash. Also they will give you the Abyss kernel which is a safe method. But to be more safe, yes you have to get back to a GB rom before flashing this.

Here is the thread : [ROM][ICS 4.0.4] PARANOIDANDROID v0.5 [TABLET/HYBRID][CM9][14/07] - xda-developers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Parthasarathig.

The problem is when you hit the factory reset when the EMMC error occurs.
Sorry to trouble you once again.
I used the above method to root the phone. Now i read in this thread that CWM method is unsafe. Warning about CWM.zip - MUST READ - xda-developers

Ive already installed CWM.zip method and now Im wondering if I can use pcODIN to flash SPEEDMOD kernel?

Should I unroot my device and then install a GB rom as per the PAD thread and then root?

Im a bit confused in this step.

Thanks again for those links

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 4th August 2012 at 11:09. Reason: added a question
Old 4th August 2012, 20:42   #10507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any one using Xperia Ray updated to official ICS?
I am reading lot of negative reviews of the Sony update.
My BIL is in two minds, whether to update or not.
Me! Me!! GB and Sony's botched up ICS upgrade both have their pros and cons. ICS, even 4.0.4 has its share of bugs. I'm not even going to talk about 3.0.3... that was like Sony's treason against its customers. If he upgrades, expect the magnetometer to stop working (so no navigation). WiFi does not sleep most of the time when screen goes off, so expect lower battery life in that scenario. Sharing to Picasa does not work. Dialer takes eons to open. There are a lot of other bugs which I can't even recall offhand. Check on the Sony official forums, if interested.
Old 4th August 2012, 21:22   #10508
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to trouble you once again.
I used the above method to root the phone. Now i read in this thread that CWM method is unsafe. Warning about CWM.zip - MUST READ - xda-developers

Ive already installed CWM.zip method and now Im wondering if I can use pcODIN to flash SPEEDMOD kernel?

Should I unroot my device and then install a GB rom as per the PAD thread and then root?

Im a bit confused in this step.

Thanks again for those links
My phone was rooted when i used this method to get back to GB rom. So no problems. Just flash the kernals they give in xda and flash the roms. You will be good to go. That Abyss kernal is important.
Old 5th August 2012, 11:09   #10509
BHPian

Quote:
My phone was rooted when i used this method to get back to GB rom. So no problems. Just flash the kernals they give in xda and flash the roms. You will be good to go. That Abyss kernal is important.
Thanks for the tips. I flashed it last night with the Abyss Kernel included. Im just wow after seeing the rom. Its pure ICS without all the Sammy bloatware and im just amazed by the amount of cutomisation possible with this.

Thanks for pointing me towards this rom. For using Spen facility i downloaded Skitch which is just like S Memo so now no problem for me. As an added plus even the battery life has improved. Thanks once again.
Old 5th August 2012, 11:45   #10510
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I flashed it last night with the Abyss Kernel included. Im just wow after seeing the rom. Its pure ICS without all the Sammy bloatware and im just amazed by the amount of cutomisation possible with this.

Thanks for pointing me towards this rom. For using Spen facility i downloaded Skitch which is just like S Memo so now no problem for me. As an added plus even the battery life has improved. Thanks once again.
No problem Two other good apps for the S-Pen are drawing pad and freenote. Try them too. Glad you liked the rom.
Old 5th August 2012, 13:11   #10511
BHPian

Quote:
No problem Two other good apps for the S-Pen are drawing pad and freenote. Try them too. Glad you liked the rom.
Giving them a try now. Freenote is also nice. Yet to try drawing pad. The amazing thing about this rom is my phone doesnt lag at all. And its so fast even without any overclocking mods.

Why Samsung has to give so many ulta fulta things in a simple ICS rom I wonder. Just spoils the whole experience. And the browser and Google chrome both work better on this rom rather than on Touchwiz where only the browser was good and Google Chrome had some issues.

On a plus note, TBHP app also works smoothly on this rom. And the hybrid mode is just amazing
Old 5th August 2012, 14:10   #10512
BHPian

I'm planning to buy SGS3 i.e. Galaxy S3. I'm in a dilemma in selecting the 16 gb or the 32gb (available at flipkart)version. Which is the recommended option of the two given below:
1) Go for the 32gb directly
2) Get a 16gb and add a 16gb memory card.

Is it recommended to have the apps stored in the internal memory (hence the need for more internal memory) or in external memory card?

Need advice ASAP. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2012, 15:00   #10513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm planning to buy SGS3 i.e. Galaxy S3. I'm in a dilemma in selecting the 16 gb or the 32gb (available at flipkart)version. Which is the recommended option of the two given below:
1) Go for the 32gb directly
2) Get a 16gb and add a 16gb memory card.

Is it recommended to have the apps stored in the internal memory (hence the need for more internal memory) or in external memory card?

Need advice ASAP. Thanks in advance.
What phone are you using currently? And whats your usage like?

I used to carry an 8GB 3GS and never found it to be any less. Of course, I didn't carry my entire music collection along, but I didnt really need to with a 3G connection. 16GB should be good enough, but it really depends on your usage. Storing the apps on internal memory is better, but I dont think it makes a great difference if its on the microSD.
Old 5th August 2012, 19:35   #10514
BHPian

Hi guys I need your help.
Im a noob when it comes to android (im a bb guy) but I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Pop just for some gaming and basic internet browsing. I have some questions now:

1) How do I install and use themes on this phone? I downloaded GO Launcher and that works perfectly but are there any other options?

2) This phone has Android 2.2 Froyo but how can I update the android version to a newer one? I think Gingerbread will work but not sure about ICS. I need help on this.

Thanks.
Old 5th August 2012, 22:19   #10515
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am facing this strange issue with my Samsung S3. Whenever my phone battery goes down to..lets say below 10% of the battery life, then it becomes real pain in the behind to get it charged again. I mean rightnow, my phone is at only 8% charged even though its been more than an hour since i plugged it in for charging. When i started charging it, it was at 5%, so in this 1 hour, it only got 3% charged. WHAT THE HELL. Is this common in S3 or may be android phones?? Since this is my first android phone, hence not sure if this happens. Or is the battery an issue. Anyone???

Most Viewed