Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2017, 18:41   #25501
BHPian

Re: Need help with a trip map builder for creating travelogue.

Hi.

I remember coming across this thread y'day.
Today was casually browsing apps in Google Play and saw Jouni app. I read a bit of FAQ and saw some differences of features for iOS and Android.
I know this may not directly address your requirement, but maybe a partial ?
also found another app TripJournal

Just thought of sharing.

regards,
Pranav
Old 10th April 2017, 10:08   #25502
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There's very little noise in that photo.

How well does it take photos of young children? My primary use case is photos of my 6 year old in action, who simply does not pose

Could you share any insights about the nifty features in the ROM, if any? e.g I love MIUI because features like OTP copying, auto-filtering of notifications, fine grained permissions, call recording (if thats your thing), built in dual apps, battery saving options, mi message etc are all very nice.
A friend has this phone and I can answer some of your questions.

For a child's photo, you could probably use a fast shutter with higher ISO in low light and then use an app like Photosoft to get rid of any noise. This phone allows you to adjust almost everything in the camera. Aperture of F number can be adjusted post shooting.

Filtering of Notifications is there, it displays them as Service Messges.

Battery life is excellent actually, goes over 1.5 days with 4G on. Performance, gaming on par with Redmi Note 4.

Some cons I noted:

- No mention of any glass protection. Comes with factory fitted plastic screen guard. He is not able to find a suitable tempered glass yet due to the 2.5D screen. This applies to all 2.5 D screens though.
- A back cover is must, the phone is extremely slippery.
- Speaker volume is not the highest. I see you already had this issue with RN3. It is not that low, but not on Par with the RN4 or Lenovos.
- The second sim is only 2G. If you want to use 4G on any SIM it must be in Slot 1
- Coming from MIUI, this EMUI looks a bit cartoonish. I am not sure if you will like it really.
- Notifications on the status bar appear as a separate tab, meaning you need to pull down and then swipe left to see Notifications. There is no option to combine them as in MIUI.

Any other specific questions, I can check and get back to you.

Last edited by para_7k : 10th April 2017 at 10:11.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:12   #25503
BHPian

How much data would get consumed if I use Google Maps for a 11 hrs journey?

Can someone clarify please?
Old 10th April 2017, 13:50   #25504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

Use the offline feature in the maps to save the maps offline, while you are connected to home/office wifi, so that you don't use up the data.

Use the 'save route to home screen' option to preload your routes with multiple navigation points.

Even with the above, it would still need 4G/3G data for gps fix and for general searching, but it wont be much.
Old 10th April 2017, 14:12   #25505
BHPian

Have bought the Redmi Note 4 for 11k. The most VFM phone out there.

Users, can you recommend a tempered glass for the same? Can't find any good ones online.

Thanks!
Old 10th April 2017, 17:23   #25506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got the V20 yesterday; its huge but otherwise the first impressions are very positive.
Traded in the S7 egde for the new iPad as well

Attachment 1627956
congrats have fun with the mighty V
Old 11th April 2017, 11:50   #25507
BANNED

I am planning to buy a Redmi Note 4 for my Dad, but it seems buying a Redimi is a herculean task.
I tried to create an account with mi.com website and it asks me to get a FCODE or something like that from someone to get that account activated. And then flipkart says about flash sale at a predefined day and time.
I just wonder, if I need to consult one tarot card reader to buy one?
I see a lot of bhpians buy this every now and then and here I am stuck not knowing how to buy this. Please help.
Old 11th April 2017, 11:55   #25508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's very little noise in that photo.

How -----snip-----de
Standard limitations with moving children, unfortunately. Does manage to capture them, and the launch and click is quite fast.
Other than that, as far as the UI is concerned, I find it much less limiting compared to MUIU. The RN3 had me rooting it on the 2nd day itself, but not this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post

- No mention of any glass protection. Comes with factory fitted plastic screen guard. He is not able to find a suitable tempered glass yet due to the 2.5D screen. This applies to all 2.5 D screens though.
I managed to get one that covers the touch area, at the very least.
----SNIP-----
- Notifications on the status bar appear as a separate tab, meaning you need to pull down and then swipe left to see Notifications. There is no option to combine them as in MIUI.
Actually, the notifications take precedence if they have arrived.

Any other specific questions, I can check and get back to you.
If nothing else, just for the camera it deserves a dekko.
Old 11th April 2017, 22:31   #25509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

If you install Here Maps and download the maps offline, it will take zero data. You can even run the phone without a SIM. Good ones like Nexus/S3 did that for me.

Quote:
A friend has this phone and I can answer some of your questions.
Thanks this is very useful.
You miss my point about the camera. With S7 or iPhone 6/6s I would simply shoot. With any inexpensive androids I have to depend on Sir being kind to his father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Have bought the Redmi Note 4 for 11k. The most VFM phone out there.

Users, can you recommend a tempered glass for the same? Can't find any good ones online.

Thanks!
Define good tempered glass? I always buy it at a corner shop here in Gurgaon. It is a sacrificial layer. Don't sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am planning to buy a Redmi Note 4 for my Dad, but it seems buying a Redimi is a herculean task.
I tried to create an account with mi.com website and it asks me to get a FCODE or something like that from someone to get that account activated. And then flipkart says about flash sale at a predefined day and time.
I just wonder, if I need to consult one tarot card reader to buy one?
I see a lot of bhpians buy this every now and then and here I am stuck not knowing how to buy this. Please help.
Install the app and sign in. It will allow you to simply add to cart at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Standard limitations with moving children, unfortunately. Does manage to capture them, and the launch and click is quite fast.
Other than that, as far as the UI is concerned, I find it much less limiting compared to MUIU. The RN3 had me rooting it on the 2nd day itself, but not this guy.
Fascinating. Different strokes for different folks. Can you mention what you found limiting in MIUI which was much more open in EMUI? (on the lines of my above list). I'm quite curious.

For me, MIUI is perfect. I have not yet rooted my phone in a year, just one flash to downgrade the ROM to Lollipop since the initial release of Marshmallow broke many features. other than that, nothing. Every setting itself is stock.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:19   #25510
BHPian

Quote:
I am stuck not knowing how to buy this. Please help.
This is how probably mi survives in India where people think buying an mi phone (with their own money) is an achievement in itself.

That being said, mi phones are unbeatable in the value for money aspect and the phenomenal battery life.

Mi.com allows pre-order on every friday and that should be the easiest way to buy the note 4. I saw pre-order was open last week from Friday thru Sunday. The 2GB and 3GB versions were availble throughout the weekend.

You should be able to get it on flipkart provided you have a strong and reliable network. Try the gold versions as they are less preferred usually.

PS: I am redmi 3s prime owner myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
, I find it much less limiting compared to MUIU. The RN3 had me rooting it on the 2nd day itself, but not this guy.

If nothing else, just for the camera it deserves a dekko.

I find the MIUI more professional and the EMUI cartoonish. My personal favorite though is the stock android.

I agree with you on the camera. The best on a sub 15k phone.

Quote:

Thanks this is very useful.
You miss my point about the camera. With S7 or iPhone 6/6s I would simply shoot. With any inexpensive androids I have to depend on Sir being kind to his father.
I have not used expensive phones, so I cannot compare. For these situations, I would rather prefer a real camera
Old 12th April 2017, 10:28   #25511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Fascinating. Different strokes for different folks. Can you mention what you found limiting in MIUI which was much more open in EMUI? (on the lines of my above list). I'm quite curious.

For me, MIUI is perfect. I have not yet rooted my phone in a year, just one flash to downgrade the ROM to Lollipop since the initial release of Marshmallow broke many features. other than that, nothing. Every setting itself is stock.
There was no lack of features. It was just the complication of things. Any setting in stock is never more than a couple of clicks away. With MIUI, they were unnecessarily hidden in some subsetting.
I only had limited exposure to the MIUI that note3 came with, didnt upgrade, just removed it.
The EMUI, though may look a bit amateurish, but only in dialogue pop ups, rest is ok. Nice and easy to navigate through.
Old 12th April 2017, 11:19   #25512
BANNED

Quote:

Install the app and sign in. It will allow you to simply add to cart at the right time.

Thank you, but provided I have very week / negligible mobile n/w strength inside office, I most probably stick to flipkart then. Let me try my luck.

Quote:
Mi.com allows pre-order on every Friday and that should be the easiest way to buy the note 4. I saw pre-order was open last week from Friday thru Sunday. The 2GB and 3GB versions were available throughout the weekend.

You should be able to get it on flipkart provided you have a strong and reliable network. Try the gold versions as they are less preferred usually.
I need the 4GB RAM and 64GB internal space option (need to eliminate memory card). Let me try my luck on flipkart, else may be I will have to downgrade with app.
Its for my Dad and of-course it can't be gold.

Quote:
Let me try my luck on flipkart, else may be I will have to downgrade with app.

My first experience with online ration of new age phone did not go well. Neither through mi app nor through FK, could not able to hold any of the 64GB or 32 GB version before the company thought I should not be rationed in just under a minute.

May be I should take it as a cue before thinking of rationing me again.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2017 at 12:38. Reason: Back to back posts -- merging
Old 12th April 2017, 12:37   #25513
BHPian

Quote:
My first experience with online ration of new age phone did not go well. Neither through mi app nor through FK, could not able to hold any of the 64GB or 32 GB version before the company thought I should not be rationed in just under a minute.

I still see a 32 GB 2G RAM note4 available but in Gold.
Have you tried the offline sale route? I believe the price difference is about Rs 500. Here at Sangeeta, they offer some kind of insurance for that difference.

Last edited by glenmz : 12th April 2017 at 12:46.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:47   #25514
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I still see a 32 GB 2G RAM note4 available but in Gold.
Yes the 2GB RAM versions are still there, but isn't 2GB became a bit ancient?
My Dad for whom I am planning to buy is not a person who prefers to change phone too often, so not opting for any 2GB one.

The 4GB one never went live I believe, finally I got hold of a 32GB/3GB one from the MI website and it put me through a queue, I mean the message said so.
I checked the time as 12:02.
It gave me a message, no stock at 12:04.

So, no Red for me.
Old 12th April 2017, 15:23   #25515
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though I find the slightly-larger X-Play so much more useful (I no longer need a tablet), I still miss my flood-lost M4i. User interface? No problem: Apex or Nova fixes most problems with usability.

By the way, if anyone is still using an M4i, I have two unwanted original Xiaomi active-flip cases, one brand-new. Free to a good home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks