Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

any 'lucky' ones in today's flash sale?
Old 20th July 2016, 14:06   #24002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
any 'lucky' ones in today's flash sale?
I think the speed at which, it went out of stock for both MI5 and Battery Bank for faster than speed of light.
Old 20th July 2016, 14:20   #24003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I think the speed at which, it went out of stock for both MI5 and Battery Bank for faster than speed of light.
I have got fair amount of luck with these kind of deals. Once got a laptop for 50% off and recently got a Kindle device for 25% off. But, today i have got absolutely no idea what was happening. I did press the button 'Buy Now' as soon as it appeared, but nothing seemed to have happened. The moment you press it again, it shows 'out of stock' message.
Old 20th July 2016, 17:29   #24004
BHPian

Re: Lenovo K5 Plus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I moved from Nexus 4 to Moto G3 and am pretty happy about this. The camera is really good when compared to Nexus 4. And hardware wise, I feel moto is much better than LG.

Not sure if you would appreciate moving from the clean stock interface to the customized ones that lenovo provides.
Well, Moto G3 Black is NOT available under exchange at Flipkart. The other possible device is Honor 5C. I do NOT know how else to dispose of my 3 year old 'Nexus 4'.

Does any here, have experience with Honor 5C? The reviews on internet say some issues with RAM Management and also absence of USB OTG.

Last edited by JMaruru : 20th July 2016 at 17:38.
Old 20th July 2016, 19:43   #24005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, Moto G3 Black is NOT available under exchange at Flipkart. The other possible device is Honor 5C. I do NOT know how else to dispose of my 3 year old 'Nexus 4'.

Does any here, have experience with Honor 5C? The reviews on internet say some issues with RAM Management and also absence of USB OTG.
Have you tried cashify? I havent. I tried this on one of the devices, the price they quoted was a little above what Flipkart offers.
Amazon had an exchange option with a third party vendor earlier. Not sure if they still have this, but the prices they offer were very bad.
Old 20th July 2016, 20:00   #24006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Have you tried cashify? I havent. I tried this on one of the devices, the price they quoted was a little above what Flipkart offers.
Amazon had an exchange option with a third party vendor earlier. Not sure if they still have this, but the prices they offer were very bad.
Reglobe is now cashify.
Old 21st July 2016, 09:47   #24007
BHPian

I have used Reglobe and found it much more convenient than selling it on online classifieds. Flipkart exchange prices are ridiculous. Reglobe is much better.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:12   #24008
Senior - BHPian

Down the memory lane:
(For some people, the references were to iPhone 3GS)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st July 2016 at 10:13.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:17   #24009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
The devices themselves were great but not greater than the competition. The premium game is a hard cookie to crack and unless your Louis Vuitton, your not going to be considered premium, regardless of what you may position yourself.
The specs were always greater than competition in my view, not to mention that Sony were the ones to invent bendable OLED in the first place 10 years ago. A few examples come to mind :

- When Samsung was stuck on 720p, Xperia Z came with 1080p.. first to do so.

- When Samsung was stuck with 8 mp, Sony progressed starting from 12 mp, 16 mp, 20 and 23 mp. Samsung only later caught up.

- Motorola made the first water resistant phone but Sony were the ones to put it into a flagship with highest specs possible. Samsung has only now caught up.

- Sony has made the first 4K screen, yes I know it may not be relevant or its just too little difference compared to a 1080 p of the same size but the difference is there nonetheless as I can myself see with the Z5 Premium.

I respect that many people might have issues with the service centre of Sony but me personally, none of their products have failed me ever. This is something Sony has been known for and even if I had one bad experience with them then maybe I would be thinking differently but I haven't yet. There are somethings about a Sony which I don't seem to find anywhere else, for example their music software is brilliant.. they have quality upscaling software called DSEE-HX, ClearAudio+, multiple surround modes etc.. for someone with keen ears I couldn't find the same quality in a Samsung. Not to take anything away from Samsung as I've myself recommended their flagships to 2-3 people and they've bought it but clearly Sony is a league above in innovation and heritage. I feel exclusive owning it and I don't have the budget for a Vertu so this is the 2nd best IMO.

The problem is that Sony doesn't wish to compete with Apple or Samsung.. they are an entertainment giant with nearly a 40% stake in Hollywood and close to 80-90% in the recording industry (Sony, Columbia, TriStar, Universal, Legacy, RED, Screen Gems, VEVO Youtube channel, SET, LIV). They see the money in music, production and entertainment and the televisions and mobiles are just seen as a medium to stream their content. In more ways than one Apple and Sony are actually friends across the rooms, I read an article where Hollywoods favourite phone iPhone is actually a brand placement by Apple and they pay production companies to have them (Sony being one of them). They also use Sony camera sensors in all their phones. Sony does this too and it can be clearly seen in movies like Friends with Benefits, Spiderman etc where Sony products are in display. Samsung had a long affiliation with Sony where they combined produced t.v display panels where Sony put the research and Samsung did the development. Both brands wouldn't be where they are without Sony.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st July 2016 at 10:24.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:46   #24010
Senior - BHPian

@dark knight: it's sadly not always about the specs. it's how the brand manages to market it to the masses that ultimately decide the numbers. nowadays the mass is not very concerned about the brand and they buy what they like. but in the premium to uber premium category, brand image matters over specs to an extent.

moto invented the phone look where they are now. bb took pride calling themselves kings of the corporate world.

having been a distributor for 5 mobile brands over the years i've seen the market shift like crazy at the drop of a hat.

you can rant and rave about sony how much ever you want but the numbers are just not there. in our shops, the sony promoter is one who struggles to convert customers and easiest for samsung. its just a numbers game.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:57   #24011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
in our shops, the sony promoter is one who struggles to convert customers and easiest for samsung. its just a numbers game.
Well this keeps bringing back the question over and over again in my head.

What is it about Samsung phones (smart) that inspite of being pricey, get sluggish over a period of time, having plasticky build (most models), they are the favorite of the masses.

Of-course Iphone lovers and loyalists will have a different take but, I am comparing to the likes of the other premium brands like HTC, Sony, LG and also the next level brands (If I may call them so) like Motorola, LG, Panasonic, Xiaomi, Micromax, etc.

There is something Samsung does differently to stay on top for so many years. Just a question ringing in my head for long.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:10   #24012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is something Samsung does differently to stay on top for so many years. Just a question ringing in my head for long.
That they mostly copy Apple for their designs?

The initial period of usage of those phones might be appealing to the users who probably aren't still aware that the phones need not get slow over a period of time.

Plus they come with those fancy screen etc to make it more appealing. At least this is my guess.

Sony, from my memory had very bad support for software updates. This was when Froyo was released/mainsteam (I had the LG P500) and most Sony were on Eclair. So my knowledge on this is very limited.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:36   #24013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well this keeps bringing back the question over and over again in my head.

What is it about Samsung phones (smart) that inspite of being pricey, get sluggish over a period of time, having plasticky build (most models), they are the favorite of the masses.
In 2005 Nokia was the undoubted market leader. Samsung was number 2 and Motorola started eating into their shares with the popularity of their Razr series. Moto and Nokia then started to dwindle and Sony started getting some good numbers with their Walkman phones. Throughout these market changes, Samsung have always been stable, never dropping out of the race.

They kept pumping in new models every other month filling almost any price gap. That with aggressive marketing and the demise of Nokia saw them in a great position to consolidate their position in the market.

Mobile purchase in store is mostly a conversion business. Very few customers walk in with a specific brand/phone in mind. Compare it with Fiat. Makes wonderful driver cars but do they do well? Hell no! Same with other brands. For sure phones exist which are better than Samsung, but having top mind space in the consumer mind they are in a good place right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Na, not really. If they wanted iPhone designs customers would buy iPhones :P

Never been a fan of Samung. Their OS is just too loud and garish for my taste.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:37   #24014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
moto invented the phone look where they are now. bb took pride calling themselves kings of the corporate world.

having been a distributor for 5 mobile brands over the years i've seen the market shift like crazy. the sony promoter is one who struggles to convert customers and easiest for samsung. its just a numbers game.
Completely agree, I never complained that its selling less, on the contrary I love the exclusivity of owning it since it sells so little. I've nothing to do with the company ultimately and all I do is enjoy their products if and when they release it. I like doing the direct opposite of popular recommendations so this fulfills all that.

I still remember someone who had opened a posh Nokia boutique just at the time when Samsung were about to commmence a blitzkrieg with their Android models about a decade ago. It went into a loss within months and never recovered.

Samsung used Android well, they popularised it and blew Nokia and Blackberry out of the water. I still remember their Armani branded Windows phone with sliding keypad.. truly beautiful with metal chassis and all during 2007/8. They then started going high volume and lower quality to boost profits.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:26   #24015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
S2 was the last phone they copied from the iPhone. S3 was their own design. I haven't seen one similar anywhere and is arguably the ugliest flagship anybody ever produced. Having owned one, I wish they had copied.

Smasung has built a fan following for itself so that they don't need to copy anymore.

Last edited by civic-sense : 21st July 2016 at 12:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks