Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 14:27   #23881
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have used normal Amazon delivery and it has been excellent. If the stuff is in transit (has left the source) then you can be sure it will come, almost invariably on or before the scheduled date. I find more problems with imports, where I suspect sometimes there are long customs delays.
Old 1st July 2016, 00:12   #23882
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3999883

I finally bought Swipe Elite Plus. Specs are fairly decent, especially if one considers the price. Have a soft spot for blue (my ride is a foxtrot Azure Punto)- so bought the blue metallic one - which looks like black unless seen in light.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/swipe-elite-plus-3547

Screen is beautiful (for someone coming from Moto E). Only thing is, it is too sleek and a little big for my hands - hopefully will get used to over time. It has slipped out of my hands few times, though touchwood, hasn't fallen. The textured back cover provides decent grip, but the device itself is so thin that i haven't been able to grip it properly.

It is said to have dragon tail glass (checked online - it is made by Asahi, Japan - and is thin as compared to gorilla glass - thereby gives a good touch response) - though it doesn't seem very strong. I doubt it can survive a fall, like my moto E.

Lot of bloatware, which gives you umpteen customizable options - which were avoidable for me atleast. The only feature I use is the two finger swipe up and down, to launch either Team BHP & IMDB respectively.

Performance is pretty decent. I'm not into gaming or heavy multimedia consumption, so no issues. Anyways can't watch movies on anything less than 32 inches (other than in flight entertainment).

The capacitative buttons though don't seem to respond sometimes. Wi-Fi and GPS connectivity is slightly better than my Moto E. Battery life is good enough to wealth last a day for me.

Camera is fine. Supposed have a Samsung sensor. It's bigger screen packet has a Sony sensor. Haven't used much. But facing some issues capturing images on TV and laptop screen. Can't understand the issue - could be some setting. If someone can help.
Old 1st July 2016, 00:29   #23883
BHPian

Most importantly the price is only Rs 7k. Also the company is supposedly going to make this phone in India!?!

Following is the camera issue. Couldn't upload the picture in earlier post.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1467313183102.jpg  

Old 1st July 2016, 10:03   #23884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.
The Vivo V3 meets my basic requirements though .......
I got the Vivo V3 for one of my close relatives. I do agree it is overpriced and I won't be able to say if it is worth it or not.

The reason I bought this was I wanted to get a phone on EMI and I don't use a Credit Card. The nearby store was giving this and Oppo F1 with a 0% interest offer from Bajaj Finance and I went for this as the Oppo does not have a FingerPrint sensor.

I can sum up based on my experience. I am using a Moto G 3rd gen and my comparison would be mostly against that.

Good:

- It is made in India. This is a feel good factor for me atleast.

- I have not used expensive phones and I don't know what "premium" really is but the V3's build and feel is much better than any Indian or Chinese brands. It also comes with a factory fitted screen guard and a good quality back cover. It is miles ahead of my Moto G3 which has a creaky back panel.

- The 13MP rear camera is on par with the Moto G3 which itself is very good. The V3 has PDAF which focuses even faster. The 8MP front camera is also very good with the in-built filters

- I don't know why you consider this an average processor. Snapdgragon 616 is very snappy for everyday use and coupled with 3GB RAM makes things even better. I don't believe in benchmark scores and just specs on paper. It is the real world performance that matters. The Moto G3 is another example of not-so-good-specs on paper but a very good real world performance.

- It comes with two sim slots and a dedicated memory card slot. This was required as I use two different sims for Voice and data

- I don't know if this is the USP, but the finger print sensor is very very quick. It unlocks in less than a second. It is so good that even if you accidentally put your finger while in the pocket, it tends to unlock

- I am not an audiophile but as reported by Vivo itself and many other users, it has one of the best Audio processor and DAC. I do not know how to explain but the music over the bundled earphones sounds great.

Bad:

- 720P screen at this price. I don't understand the 68% screen-body ratio. It is a very compact phone.

- The UI is terrible. It comes without an app drawer which I hate and I promptly installed Nova Launcher.

- There is also no dedicated key for Recently used apps. We have to swipe up from bottom of the screen which can be irritating.

- Battery lasts about 12 hours with 3G usage and social apps. I am not a heavy app user or a gamer so this is ok for me.

- The supplied charger is 1A and it takes about 3 hours to charge the phone from <5%. A power bank is must when travelling over long distances.

- Price, of course.

If there is any other query on this phone, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by para_7k : 1st July 2016 at 10:11.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:06   #23885
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
Need some help. I've temporarily moved to the USA. In my play store, all prices are being showed in INR and I'm not able to download apps which are restricted to this region.

Device: Mi4i running Mokee 5.1.1

Please suggest how I can change location on Google Play.

This problem is unique to me as I've paid for one app. My friends who've never paid for apps are able to download all US specific apps.

Thanks in Advance
Old 1st July 2016, 11:18   #23886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I got the Vivo V3 for one of my close relatives. I do agree it is overpriced and I won't be able to say if it is worth it or not.

If there is any other query on this phone, please feel free to ask.
Many thanks for your reply.
I did have a detailed look at the Vivo V3 after you suggested and I feel it is terribly overpriced. And Vivo isn't a brand like Apple or something for which people will pay more to flaunt.

For me, the battery itself is a deal breaker.
Also, 720p screen at this price is unacceptable - another deal breaker.

Some other things which I do't like but can live with -
68% screen-to-body ratio is bad in today's world even for a 5 inch phone. At least it should be 70% particularly considering the price. It might be compact but you will get even more compact phones with similar sized screen. It's not a big deal for me as long as I can handle easily in one hand.
The processor/chipset is fine for me but you can get better chipset like 652 at a cheaper price.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:33   #23887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi all,
Need some help. I've temporarily moved to the USA. In my play store, all prices are being showed in INR and I'm not able to download apps which are restricted to this region.

Device: Mi4i running Mokee 5.1.1

Please suggest how I can change location on Google Play.

This problem is unique to me as I've paid for one app. My friends who've never paid for apps are able to download all US specific apps.

Thanks in Advance
May be issue with your payment method & desired country. You must remove your payment method, add new method to reflect current country? More here...

Payment method is available in Google play -> Accounts.
Old 1st July 2016, 15:15   #23888
BANNED

Android to be named NOUGAT. Google has revealed the name of the new Avatar of Android.
Old 1st July 2016, 20:10   #23889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
May be issue with your payment method & desired country. You must remove your payment method, add new method to reflect current country? More here...

Payment method is available in Google play -> Accounts.
Have done this. Nothing changed.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 1st July 2016 at 20:28.
Old 1st July 2016, 20:27   #23890
BHPian

Source: NDTV

Bad news for Sony Mobile Fans as Company Will Reportedly 'Defocus' on India

Gadgets 360 Staff,*01 July 2016

HIGHLIGHTS

Sony Mobile expects less growth in markets such as China and IndiaSony to focus in East Asia (including Japan), Europe and the Middle EastThe company will focus in the high value-added segment

Sony Mobile at a recent investor meet has reportedly confirmed that it will focus less on select markets like China, India, and the US where its performance has been less than satisfactory. Sony expects its smartphone business in these countries will grow only 0.3 percent in these markets, which explains its decision to "defocus" on these regions.

Xperia Blog, which got access to presentations and other material that Sony shared at the inventory meet, adds that the company now has a regional strategy which means Sony will target only regions which are expected to have improved CAGR (compound annual growth rate) smartphone growth.

Apart from China, India, and the US, Sony is also said to shrink its smartphone business in Brazil. The report says that Sony Mobile will instead look to focus in East Asia (including Japan), Europe, and the Middle East.

"Sony expects to 'preserve' its Latin American business and other Asia Pacific regions," points out the report.

One of the slides reads: "Sony's priority is to focus on markets where Sony can leverage its strengths to ensure profitability improvements." In another slide, the company notes, "Sony to maintain its core focus in the high value-added segment and develop its business through product differentiation, since players that can offer high value-added smartphones globally are limited."

Sony's presentation slide also hints that the company expects to face intensified competition in entry and mid-tier segments from Chinese and Indian smartphone players. Sony also points to "growth slowdown in emerging markets".

Sony earlier this year introduced an all-new*Xperia X series which replaced the earlier flagship Xperia Z series. The company in May was reported to have pulled the plug on the Xperia C and Xperia M series of smartphones. Sony's move to*kill its Xperia C-Series and Xperia M-Series*smartphones seems to be in line with the slides, which suggest that Sony will focus on the high end segment of the market.
Old 1st July 2016, 20:57   #23891
Team-BHP Support

Not very surprising about Sony actually, they seem to be the only player in the market (except Apple, of course) who will apparently never try to cater to the lowest common denominator of the market by flooding it with cheap smartphones, which is where the volumes are as the higher end of the spectrum is already dominated by Samsung and Apple.

I've only ever used TWO Sony Phones in my life (both when they were still Sony Ericsson) but have plenty of people around me who swear by theirs, some still using years-old models because there just isn't a like-for-like replacement irrespective of price tags.

They made some really cool phones, the Walkman series was iconic (I still have a standalone Walkman player for my music needs). I'll miss them.
Old 1st July 2016, 21:16   #23892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not very surprising about Sony actually, they seem to be the only player in the market (except Apple, of course) who will apparently never try to cater to the lowest common denominator of the market by flooding it with cheap smartphones, which is where the volumes are as the higher end of the spectrum is already dominated by Samsung and Apple.
Sony tried hard to increase the market share by introducing lot of cheaper models. Plenty of my relatives and friends have Sony phones and I will have to say that most of their low and mid range phones can't even complete with Chinese stuffs. And the so called premium phones don't feel any premium either, they don't have any USP. Sony lost it long back.

I posted a link of an article few months ago on the current state of Sony in this very thread where it was mentioned that Sony will try for one more year and see if the cellphone unit starts making profits before they start pulling the brand out from countries where its facing big losses. They are even considering to sell out the cellphone unit according to that article.
Old 1st July 2016, 21:16   #23893
Distinguished - BHPian

That's sad ! I am on my fourth Sony in the last 10 years or so. Have used each phone about 3 years each, and will miss these.

Question for those using the Redmi Note 3:
How much time does it take to charge fully ?
( say, from 20% to full - or any other range)

Last edited by ampere : 1st July 2016 at 21:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 1st July 2016, 23:10   #23894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Have done this. Nothing changed.
This is what Airtel guys suggested to me. I did exactly as they asked to. It got changed after a while. Initially, prices started showing in rupees and then India specific apps started appearing as well. Mine was to change a USA mobile to India Play Store.

Here is what you have to do to fix this error. You only need to change the region in your Play account.

Using a browser on your computer or laptop go to "play.google.com" and login with the email address linked to your play account

1. In Google Wallet change your address to a India one.
2. In Google Wallet delete all your payment methods and add a Indian credit card with a Indian billing address.
3. NOW here is the Open Sesame Code....
4. In Google Play create an order for anything but do not complete the purchase.
5. At the final "Approve your order screen", STOP, an leave this screen up for at least 30 minutes. Do not complete the purchase.
6. Clear your browser cache.
7. Now your Google Play account will not stop you from downloading India specific content.​

Old 1st July 2016, 23:29   #23895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Try this app called WALNUT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iffi View Post
+1 for WALNUT.
Thanks for the pointer guys. Awesome app! Just what I was looking for as well. A big use that I find is for people who use credit card for all purchases. So when I want to reconcile expense statements or balance sheets at the end of the month, I may not remember what a purchase was for. Because many times, I see, the entry in the name of the parent/registered company and I dont recollect which was the transaction. Now with this app, I tag the expense to the right event, which I can use later after pulling out the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks