Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 18:26   #23761
BHPian

Recently I changed over from iPhone 6s plus to S7 Edge. Loving the new phone. But absolutely hate the part of the screen protector. Tried on 3 from the local market till now. Worth upto 700 bucks each. But nothing sticks on for more than a few days. Any suggestions/opinions?
Ps. Absolutely need one for my rough usage.
Old 17th June 2016, 21:58   #23762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Recently I changed over from iPhone 6s plus to S7 Edge. Loving the new phone. But absolutely hate the part of the screen protector. Tried on 3 from the local market till now. Worth upto 700 bucks each. But nothing sticks on for more than a few days. Any suggestions/opinions?
Ps. Absolutely need one for my rough usage.
A quick perusal of online fora will tell you that there isn't a good solution. The best option seems to be using the old fashioned screen protectors which were film based and a case that does not rub the edge when mounted, like the Samsung original back case.
Old 18th June 2016, 21:24   #23763
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My phone is Moto G third gen, running on Android 5.1.1. A few days ago I clicked on an innocuous link received by mail but was taken to an adult site. I closed it quickly and deleted the mail, but a warning appeared that my android system has been affected by some virus and I must install some security app. Since I already had clean master installed, I did not take it seriously. But the phone went off immediately and could not be restarted. I left it alone for a while and later switched it on.

Ever since, while accessing something from my SD card, the screen goes off for a few seconds and comes back on. An alert says the sd card has been removed accidentally and should be unmounted before removal. If I switch off and then switch on, the SD card is again found.

I have removed clean master and installed Kaspersky paid version. Scanning did not detect any threats. I have also run the system update twice, the next update shown was mashmallow which I did not install. But the problem still persists from time to time. I have also removed and reinstalled the SD card once.

What could be the problem?
Old 18th June 2016, 22:01   #23764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have removed clean master and installed Kaspersky paid version. Scanning did not detect any threats. I have also run the system update twice, the next update shown was mashmallow which I did not install. But the problem still persists from time to time. I have also removed and reinstalled the SD card once.
You can install Malwarebytes Mobile Security. It's free. Run a complete scan. And please always be wary of sites and never download any so called utilities from strange sites. They're almost always trojan horses.
Old 18th June 2016, 22:01   #23765
BANNED

Any Lenovo ZUK 1 users here? The price seems just right, and specifications are mouth-watering. The phone is playing hide-and-seek on Amazon. Any hints on how to deal with flash sales?
Old 19th June 2016, 11:29   #23766
BANNED

One interesting thing I saw on ZDNet. It seems that Android phones depreciate much faster that the iPhones. Is it just the snob value or some other issues?
Old 19th June 2016, 11:37   #23767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One interesting thing I saw on ZDNet. It seems that Android phones depreciate much faster that the iPhones. Is it just the snob value or some other issues?
Snob value and they age more gracefully :P
iPhones work almost flawlessly for a couple years unless you keep updating to the latest iOS version.
Old 19th June 2016, 11:49   #23768
BHPian

I'm not in for phones with big screens. Firstly they are not easy to operate with one hand. Secondly I believe bigger the screen, more liable it is to crack when it falls. My Moto E Gen2 4G (though it runs only on 2G - Wi-Fi mostly used at home and office) with Corning gorilla glass and oleophbic coating is the best all weather phone for the price. Plus Moto Google phone get the latest Android update.

Since my son was young, I didn't want to purchase an expensive phone and regret breaking one. In fact he did drop my wife's phone into a bucket of water, while music was on. Are drying and cleaning, the phone was back in normal working condition.

Now I felt a need for upgrading, as 8 GB ROM in Moto E was running out and apps were not getting updated. This is after using SD card as internal storage. Now the problem that forget 4.5 inch, there is no good phone upto 4.8 inches. One has to go upto 5 inches. To be continued, as not able to copy and save, lest I lose what I have written.
Old 19th June 2016, 21:54   #23769
BHPian

Okay, so I know I have posted quite a few times on this thread regarding my phone purchase but am yet to do so.\

My Moto finally gave up(or I think so.) Apart from the shattered screen, there are other problems like the charging port not functioning properly and recently the phone started going bonkers by switching off and on by itself until the battery goes down to 0.

However, I am in sort of a dilemma. I recently built a rig and was saving up for buying a GPU for it. I thought of somehow managing with the Moto for a few more months, however that seems impossible now. If I buy the phone, I have to forego buying the GPU for sometime.

Now, coming to the phone, all I want is complete tweak-ability(custom ROM support included in this point), a battery that lasts me two days(SOT per day typically ranges from 1.5-3 hours), plays games adequately, has a good camera and quality which lasts me at least a couple of years. I cannot spend a penny over 15k. I had thought that with the launch of the OP3, OPO prices would be reduced. But no luck, sadly. Other phones that I am considering are the Moto G4+, ZUK Z1 and Galaxy S5. It has always been a dream to own a Nexus/One Plus device however that doesn't seem to be happening. :/

Suggestions are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Neel
Old 19th June 2016, 22:41   #23770
Senior - BHPian

My MotoG (XT1045) - Gen1 4G LTE , died on me on Friday, without warning. Totally stock phone, no modifications whatsoever. My attempts to recover it are met by this msg :

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20160618_120222.jpg

Any tips ?

I am trying to find a replacement too , and Moto G4 Plus would have been the ideal choice , but the bad reviews about heating and performance are keeping me away. Next is the Redmi Note 3 , but it seems to be unavailable everywhere. Any other worthy alternatives I should be considering , which are readily available ? I prefer stock android.
The Lenovo P1 Turbo seems interesting , but cant seem to find it anywhere either. Any users of the Moto X Play ?
Old 19th June 2016, 23:52   #23771
BHPian

@sajo if you are conversant with android adb commands, try installing a custom recovery and loading the rom image from there. But if the bootloader is corrupt, then unfortunately jtag or motherboard fix would be required. Please check this for starters http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3122492
Old 20th June 2016, 00:10   #23772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My MotoG (XT1045) - Gen1 4G LTE , died on me.
I am trying to find a replacement too , and Moto G4 Plus would have been the ideal choice , but the bad reviews about heating and performance are keeping me away. Next is the Redmi Note 3 , but it seems to be unavailable everywhere. Any other worthy alternatives I should be considering , which are readily available ? I prefer stock android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Now, coming to the phone, all I want is complete tweak-ability(custom ROM support included in this point), a battery that lasts me two days(SOT per day typically ranges from 1.5-3 hours), plays games adequately, has a good camera and quality which lasts me at least a couple of years. I cannot spend a penny over 15k. I had thought that with the launch of the OP3, OPO prices would be reduced. But no luck, sadly. Other phones that I am considering are the Moto G4+, ZUK Z1 and Galaxy S5. It has always been a dream to own a Nexus/One Plus device however that doesn't seem to be happening. :/
Suggestions are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Neel
Guys, I have both of you covered. And let me get straight to it- I would say the Moto G4+ it is. I have been using the G4+ for the last month or so now, and it has been an absolutely wonderful experience.
Stock Android is irreplaceable, the Moto addons and gestures are excellent bonuses (which DO work in real life) and performance has been top notch. And as both of you are ex-Moto users, you'll get accustomed to it straightaway. That's just why I suggested it straightaway. That Moto experience is a notch above usual stock Android experience and cannot be found elsewhere.

As for the performance and heating, yes it does get a bit hot while recording 1080p video continuously for several minutes, but not worth being a deal breaker. It also gets quite hot while charging, but that's due to the fat 25W Turbo charger that charges the phone crazy fast. And it also cools down pretty quickly after removing the charger. And unlike what people often mention, I haven't found the camera to lag or stutter after heating. Even with heavy games it gets very warm after 20-30 minutes, but it doesn't overheat further after that, and doesn't drop in performance while heated. And that is better than something like OP2 which throttles the SOC to budget phone level to prevent heating. And trust me, the heating is not even near a deal breaker. There was a big 157MB update out of the box for my phone, which I only installed several hours later after downloading all my apps and syncing data, and the heating reduced considerably after that update. Almost half a dozen of my friends bought the exact same phone as me (32GB black) after seeing mine, and no one has had any serious heating issues.
I mean yeah, it doesn't run cool as such, there is some heating at the times I mentioned, but nothing too much out of the normal. Definitely not worth being a deal breaker. And going by how meticulously particular I am about my Android devices, you can take my word for that.

That put aside, the software experience is amazing, all Moto features are actually useful, the cameras are both lovely, the rear camera focuses really fast and takes wonderful pictures if you operate it right, the battery holds on through a little more than a (heavy) day and ~6 hours of display, the charging is seriously quick, it holds a dozen apps in memory all the time, and the body though nothing that you'd call 'premium', is very well built and feels extremely light. I got hold of a slim fit sandstone black case for 500 bucks and it improves the grip, and further shields my hand from feeling any heat.

Actually, if there can be a more serious gripe than the heating, it is the complete absence of a magnetic sensor. Such basic hardware actually should be taken for granted in a 2016 Tier 1 brand phone costing 15k. However, I never used that sensor earlier in my previous phones or tablet often, so I don't miss it at all. Surprisingly, it still has a gyro sensor!
And navigation still works fine with the data on, I don't know how. It supposedly catches directional signal from mobile networks.

And Neel, this one for you friend. The G4+ barely a month from launch, has root, official TWRP 3.0 support, and the kernel sources promptly released by Motorola!! There was even a test build of some kind of custom ROM the last time I saw IIRC. So one can expect healthy official ROM support for least a couple of years and a few ports after that. And even better, you don't even have to root the phone to stay on top of the Android game. Lenovo have promised N and O updates right away! And anyway Moto display and the 'double-twist, double-chop' gestures are just too good to let go of so soon. The only things I miss from CyanogenMod are the power menu options (this has only a dumb 'power off' option) the extra custom quick settings tiles and battery % on status bar. Apart from that has been an awesome experience.

Last edited by mukul32 : 20th June 2016 at 00:29.
Old 20th June 2016, 00:28   #23773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Guys, I have both of you covered. And let me get straight to it- the Moto G4+ it is. I have been using the G4+ for the last month or so now, and it has been an absolutely wonderful experience
I have also switched from an iPhone 4 to motoG4plus, with initial awkwardness of the size which i am slowly getting used to, i am absolutely enjoying the high level of productivity that i am getting it out of this mobility device

I had bought the new xiomi note, but returned it in few days as i did not like it much

I am not facing any heating issue in my usage
Old 20th June 2016, 06:43   #23774
Senior - BHPian

Dear Neel,
Mukul32 has answered your question very well. Moto G4 + will be a very good choice. Buy it and you will get stable ROMs a few months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
and battery % on status bar. Apart from that has been an awesome experience.
Dear mukul,
To get the battery % on the status bar(only 1 style possible though), unlock the system UI tuner. I did this on my mom's phone.

Drag down the quick settings and hold the settings icon for a few seconds. It'll unlock the system UI tuner. This is what I've done in Moto G (2015) running android M (stock). You can also play around with the quick settings I think.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:56   #23775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Dear mukul,
To get the battery % on the status bar(only 1 style possible though), unlock the system UI tuner. I did this on my mom's phone.
Drag down the quick settings and hold the settings icon for a few seconds. It'll unlock the system UI tuner. This is what I've done in Moto G (2015) running android M (stock). You can also play around with the quick settings I think.
Thanks a lot. But I obviously knew about systemUI tuner already. But what I meant I wanted was different. SystemUI tuner only allows us to rearrange the existing quick settings tiles, and add another ADB tile. CM tiles are way more customizable with way more options.
Also, the battery percentage on status bar can be enabled via SystemUI tuner, but it's just a small number inside the battery icon which is hard to read. CM gives the option of battery status styles, along with a proper battery percentage indicator beside it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks