Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:55   #24511
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Can you check Wifi Scanning in Locations-> Scanning (via Hamburger menu) setting. If it is turned on, even when location + Wifi off Wifi is still kept active for tracking purpose.
Every possible Wi-Fi scan setting is always turned off on my phone unless I'm using it.

What perplexed me more is the ZERO usage stat. If some setting was inadvertently using Wi-Fi in the background, surely the usage stats would show that?
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:13   #24512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Someone here suggested using greenify. Thank you. I'm now getting 60% battery left after 15 hours of usage. Great!
You are welcome! The difference with Greenify is huge on quite a few phones. You can make most of the apps hibernate-able by adding the apps manually to the Greenify menu and also create a one click Greenify Hibernate icon, which immediately hibernates the background apps when you click it.
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:38   #24513
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to point out some differences between the Lenovo Z2 plus (ZUK Z2) and MI 5.
While the ZUK Z2 definitely seems more value for money, it is worth noting some differences -

Advantage Z2 PLus -
3GB/32B version 5K cheaper than MI5.
Offers a 4GB/64GB version which MI5 does not offer in India. Also, this version is 3K cheaper than the 3GB/32GB version of the MI5.
Bigger battery (3500 mah vs 3000 mah)
Nice implementation of the fingerprint scanner which offers multiple innovative functions.
Processors are faster as the MI5 offered in India has underclocked processors.

Advantage MI5 -
Much brighter screen (600 nits vs 400 nits).
Better camera with OIS
UFS 2.0 storage which is much faster than eMMC storage on ZUK Z2
Gorilla glass protection (ZUK Z2 does not have anything mentioned)
IR blaster, NFC

I am not mentioning the user experience as both phones have their own skins on Android. The ZUI looks to be lighter and closer to stock than the Mi5.
I think it will come down to individual preferences about the UX.

So, at first glance, it seems the ZUk Z2 is much more value for money than the MI5.
But, there are some obvious cost cutting measures which may not be visible until you look closely.
Both are excellent options for people looking for a compact phone with high end specs at around 20K.

Poeple who don't mind a bigger phone, definitely makes sense to go for the OnePlus3. It offers better camera and close to stock Android UX than either of the above.

As for me, since I am quite adamant about having a compact phone, I will wait for the new Google PIXEL phone before making a final decision. The launch is slated to happen on Oct 4th. Going by the rumors floating around, looks like Google is going to price the devices pretty high with the Pixel costing >35K and the Pixel XL costing >45K which will be well above my budget of 25K. But, since the launch is just a few days later, no harm in waiting.
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:39   #24514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Other Oneplus 3 owners : Have any of you guys installed the new 3.2.6 update ? Im waiting to see if it causes any issues before I install it on my phone.

Is there a good SMS backup app for Android ?
Yes I have been using 3.2.6 for a few days and it is working fine. Haven't found any issues so far. They also fixed the auto brightness issue in 3.2.6 which was the only complaint I had in previous builds.

I use SMS Backup plus like amalji suggested. It's convenient as it backs up to Gmail, so it is easy to search later on. I haven't tried restoring from it though.
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:54   #24515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Is there a good SMS backup app for Android ? I want to back up the SMSes from my old Nexus 4 as I will be passing it on to the office boy soon.
Also what is the best way to completely wipe all my data from the phone ? Is a factory reset sufficient ?
Sms backup and restore, creates backup for both calls and sms. Gdrive integration is available along with local backup.

Factory reset should suffice.
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:47   #24516
Distinguished - BHPian

After going through a number of latest flagships and waiting (endlessly) for the Note 7, then reading about the issues which has plagued the Samsung flagship phone, I have finally bit the bullet and ordered my favourite Android phone in recent times - the OnePlus 3.

Phone should be arriving tomorrow.

Do I need to upgrade immediately to the latest OS patches, or it's still a "wait and watch" period for the 3.2.6 version?

And, do I need to order a back cover immediately before I start using the phone, because of the prominent rear camera hump?
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:50   #24517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Do I need to upgrade immediately to the latest OS patches, or it's still a "wait and watch" period for the 3.2.6 version?

And, do I need to order a back cover immediately before I start using the phone, because of the prominent rear camera hump?
You can update it immediately. There are no issues with 3.2.6 and it fixes the auto-brightness issue which was annoying at times in the previous versions.
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:37   #24518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After going through a number of latest flagships and waiting (endlessly) for the Note 7, then reading about the issues which has plagued the Samsung flagship phone, I have finally bit the bullet and ordered my favourite Android phone in recent times - the OnePlus 3.

Phone should be arriving tomorrow.

It's a smart choice. I also got one for my wife few days back. Really am excellent phone. Far far better than my Nexus 5x in every respect

A case is a must on every phone I think. I got the ringke fusion clear one. I was very happy with it in my Nexus device. It's a very solid case, very well designed and is like a tank. I have kids who use the phone so case for me was a no brainer really.
Old 23rd September 2016, 22:49   #24519
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the heads-up on the Oxygen OS update, guys.

Will rummage through the back covers available at my friend's shop tomorrow evening. If none are to my liking, it will be time to do some Amazon shopping.

Hoping to have my OnePlus 3 by tomorrow afternoon. That's the time the courier guys usually show up.
Old 23rd September 2016, 23:04   #24520
Senior - BHPian

Dear Lordvader, John Snow, Ravenavi, and Joslicx,

Please help out, I have also ordered the One Plus 3 and should be receiving it tomorrow.

I was using an iPhone 6s previously and have been on Apple since the 5. Very raw in the Android world, would appreciate your guidance.

1. How do I transfer my data from iTunes on my Windows 10 laptop (not on the cloud) to my new phone? Contacts, photos and videos mainly.
2. How do the backups and updates happen on the One Plus 3? Do I have to download some software like iTunes or Samsung Kies?
3. Anything else which you think I should know before I start using my new toy.

Request an urgent revert folks so I may start on my new phone immediately.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 23rd September 2016 at 23:12.
Old 24th September 2016, 00:13   #24521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Please help out, I have also ordered the One Plus 3 and should be receiving it tomorrow.

I was using an iPhone 6s previously and have been on Apple since the 5. Very raw in the Android world, would appreciate your guidance.

1. How do I transfer my data from iTunes on my Windows 10 laptop (not on the cloud) to my new phone? Contacts, photos and videos mainly.
2. How do the backups and updates happen on the One Plus 3? Do I have to download some software like iTunes or Samsung Kies?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers
1. Never used any apple products (after misadventure of owning an ipod4 video long back and struggling with the useless itunes) so I have no idea about this.
2. Backups are automatic once you sign-in thru your google a/c and you enable it. you can backup contacts, photos and videos. As for updates, Oneplus has been very prompt with it (at least till 4 comes). Already there has been couple of updates. You get them over the air (OTA)
3. Spend some time and play with it. Some interesting tidbits here:
http://phandroid.com/2016/06/23/onep...one-should-do/
Old 24th September 2016, 00:50   #24522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) I own an iPhone 6 Plus as well, and I have moved my contacts to my Android phones using the iCloud application:

- Sign into the iCloud.com webpage using your Apple ID & password.
- Sync your contacts with the iCloud app (via Settings/iCloud/Contacts)
- Click on the "Settings" wheel on the bottom left corner in iCloud.com, and click on "Select All", then click again and click "export vCard" from the pop-up menu.
- All your contacts info will be transferred into a single VCF file which will be downloaded to your computer.
- Copy this VCF file to your connected OnePlus 3 phone.
- In your OnePlus 3 phone, open the Phone app, select "Manage Contacts", then click on "Import contacts", then click on "Import from phone storage/Memory Card", where the VCF file is located.

You can use Gmail to do the same as well. After saving the VCF file to your computer, log into your Gmail account, select "Mail", click on "Contacts", click "More", then click "Import".

For photos and videos, you can directly transfer them from your computer if you have made a backup of all stuff. Videos might require conversion when copy-pasted into your OnePlus 3.

For more details, check out details at this link.

2) Yet to experience this, so I would go with what joslicx said above.

3) Like joslicx said,you need to spend plenty of time rummaging through your new toy, to get a hang of it.
Luckily, the weekend is rolling in. I intend to spend most of Saturday/Sunday exploring my OnePlus 3 as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Thanks for the link, my friend.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th September 2016 at 00:53.
Old 24th September 2016, 01:17   #24523
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers
Congrats!

1 - check this - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ne-to-android/
2 - updates happen OTA. For backups it depends on what you are trying to create a backup for. There are ways to backup apps, SMS, calls and the entire ROM (for power users)
3 - Nothing specific. Enjoy your new toy
Old 24th September 2016, 08:05   #24524
BHPian

Got my redmi 3s prime day before yesterday. Here is my mini review:

1. Total VFM mobile.
2. Installed MIUI developer rom and it has very good features and the UI is also smooth.
3. Battery king! i charged the device day before yesterday night by 8pm and currently it has 35% left which will last me for another 10 to 12 hours easily.
4. Charging the device is a pain with the charger supplied. Takes easily 2 hours to charge! Quick Charge is not enabled and hence we cant use QC chargers also.
5. Camera - Camera is good in daylight conditions and in HDR mode. Otherwise its pathetic. Cant complain though for this price point. Attached are some clicks.

Normal shot
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_073412.jpg

HDR Mode shots

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_073907_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_074121_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_074154_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_074242_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_074553_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_074602_hdr.jpg
Old 24th September 2016, 13:19   #24525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
1. Never used any apple products (after misadventure of owning an ipod4 video long back and struggling with the useless itunes) so I have no idea about this.
2. Backups are automatic once you sign-in thru your google a/c and you enable it. you can backup contacts, photos and videos. As for updates, Oneplus has been very prompt with it (at least till 4 comes). Already there has been couple of updates. You get them over the air (OTA)
3. Spend some time and play with it. Some interesting tidbits here:
http://phandroid.com/2016/06/23/onep...one-should-do/
Thanks a lot joslicx, I will go thru your helpful link

Quote:
1) I own an iPhone 6 Plus as well, and I have moved my contacts to my Android phones using the iCloud application:

- Sign into the iCloud.com webpage using your Apple ID & password.
- Sync your contacts with the iCloud app (via Settings/iCloud/Contacts)
- Click on the "Settings" wheel on the bottom left corner in iCloud.com, and click on "Select All", then click again and click "export vCard" from the pop-up menu.
- All your contacts info will be transferred into a single VCF file which will be downloaded to your computer.
- Copy this VCF file to your connected OnePlus 3 phone.
- In your OnePlus 3 phone, open the Phone app, select "Manage Contacts", then click on "Import contacts", then click on "Import from phone storage/Memory Card", where the VCF file is located.

You can use Gmail to do the same as well. After saving the VCF file to your computer, log into your Gmail account, select "Mail", click on "Contacts", click "More", then click "Import".

For photos and videos, you can directly transfer them from your computer if you have made a backup of all stuff. Videos might require conversion when copy-pasted into your OnePlus 3.

For more details, check out details at this link.

2) Yet to experience this, so I would go with what joslicx said above[i].
Thank you RavenAvi, I will try with the method you have illustrated. Please do update us after you receive your new baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Congrats!

1 - check this - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ne-to-android/
2 - updates happen OTA. For backups it depends on what you are trying to create a backup for. There are ways to backup apps, SMS, calls and the entire ROM (for power users)
3 - Nothing specific. Enjoy your new toy
Thanks lordvadar!

Amazon is not delivering my One Plus 3 today, got an update saying it will be on Tuesday. Will update once my adventure begins with the new toy

Have a lovely weekend!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks