Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 15:58   #24466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi ghodlur,
Please check whether you like MIUI before buying it. There's nothing wrong with the OS, but purists lke me just hate it.

I would suggest the Moto G4 + with 32GB storage and 3GB memory.
Old 15th September 2016, 16:13   #24467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Great battery life though. Most feedback suggests it gets slower over time - good for a year though.
Well, my experience has been otherwise. I have Mi3, Redmi 1S, Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi Note 4g and Redmi note3 in the family.

The one thing that all have to say is that the OS does not lag especially in comparison to Samsung. I am sure Vanilla Android is the best when it comes to lag free experience by MIUI ain't bad at all.

And yes, eldest of all is the Mi3 and it is now ageing to almost 2 years and still rocks!
Old 15th September 2016, 16:25   #24468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Well, my experience has been otherwise. I have Mi3, Redmi 1S, Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi Note 4g and Redmi note3 in the family.

The one thing that all have to say is that the OS does not lag especially in comparison to Samsung. I am sure Vanilla Android is the best when it comes to lag free experience by MIUI ain't bad at all.

And yes, eldest of all is the Mi3 and it is now ageing to almost 2 years and still rocks!
Please do not compare it to Samsung. That's like comparing and ageing auto to a fast Fiat! My friend's have almost a year old Mi4 and Mi4i, and there is that stutter very visible. I also had a Moto G2 - which died finally after 2 and half years but it really was bad even after a year and half.
My home also had an Asus Zenphone 2, considered by many to be a good phone. Within a year, it could barely do basic tasks fast - I rooted the phone to Cynogenmod and it is flawless - now works as my home security camera
Old 15th September 2016, 19:00   #24469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Quote:
Please do not compare it to Samsung. That's like comparing and ageing auto to a fast Fiat!
To add to both comments, I would like to point to Hardware variations which can occur between two phones of same manufacturer running same version of SW. Theoretically, no two chip is the same unlike Software which could be rolled out to multiple devices !!

Each device has a specific characteristic which could end up as Slow, Fast or Nominal part and also properties can vary depending on which foundry it is sourced from. Even though chip manufacturers screen out bad parts, there will be some parts (100-400 dppm) which can still land in market. Also, Software defect can be corrected via patch but we will need to live up with hardware defects and only pray that it can show early so that it can be repaired for free during warranty
Old 17th September 2016, 20:08   #24470
BHPian

Bought Moto X Play 32GB recently for around 14k (after all discounts). Wanted stock android experience, so the only obvious choices were the Motos and the Android One devices. Since there is already the Micromax canvas a1 8GB in the family, didnt want another one (though it ticked all the boxes and great VFM at around 4K for a stock android mobile).

Among the Motos, i straight away removed the 2016 lineup from shortlist due to their plain-jane generic looks and the heating issues. What good is a great phone if it cannot be used more than 10 mins, regardless of better camera and CPU performance? Also personally, I feel Motorola has lost it this year as far as design goes. Mind you, these are strictly my views and do not mean to run down anyone owning those mobiles.

That left the excellent G3 and X Play in the list. From various reviews, X Play seemed to suit my needs better.
And boy, am i blown away or what - bright display with thin bezels resulting in excellent screen to body ratio, fantastic design (curved rubberised back offering excellent grip), and even though a 5.5 incher, it doesnt feel so in hand nor in pocket, and finally the well thought out software experience that keeps things simple, straightforward and blazing fast.

Moto X Play is highly recommended for purists who like classy looking mobiles .

Last edited by WindRide : 17th September 2016 at 20:37.
Old 17th September 2016, 22:35   #24471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Word on OnePlus X : Its been now over 9 months (bought exactly on 1st Jan) - like the phone a lot, though feel that the battery is getting weaker. Still looks and feels like a phone of atleast twice its cost. I wish OnePlus had another variant of this with enhancements (fingerprint, battery, audio and camera). Also Oxygen OS is a seriously good example of enhancing the Android experience.

I am looking at OP3 as my next phone most likely, though don't like the silver grey back. Does most things right except the battery and audio.
To improve the OPx battery life, do two things : install Greenify and make all the useless apps hibernatable. Second in app permissions, kill all the permissions, especially the keep awake and location for all the apps and games which you dont need awake in the background. You will be really surprised how much difference these two things make. In my Opx I used to get a max SOT of 2 1/2 hours earlier and in the battery stats the phone used to be awake 60% of the time in 14 hours. After these two changes I get an SOT of 4+ hours and the phone just stays awake 20% when I actually use it. Try these changes and you will be pleasantly surprised with the improvement of battery life.
Old 17th September 2016, 23:17   #24472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not compare it to Samsung. That's like comparing and ageing auto to a fast Fiat! My friend's have almost a year old Mi4 and Mi4i, and there is that stutter very visible. I also had a Moto G2 - which died finally after 2 and half years but it really was bad even after a year and half.
My home also had an Asus Zenphone 2, considered by many to be a good phone. Within a year, it could barely do basic tasks fast - I rooted the phone to Cynogenmod and it is flawless - now works as my home security camera
Completely depends from person to person sirjee.

My colleague had Moto G2. It stuttered badly while trying to use Skype earlier, and had general all around lag (fully up to date). He's now on a Redmi Note 3 and appreciates the inbuilt features such as call recording , video editing etc (though the camera is horrible even compared to the modest G2).

On the other hand, my sister's Mi4 is working flawlessly with a beautiful camera and almost 200 apps courtesy my nieces. Infact, in retrospect, i often wish I hadn't fallen for the RN3 hype and had bought the Mi4 16GB version with its far far far better camera.

My physio has a Zenfone2. Decent 2GB version but has horrible battery life courtesy all the bloatware. But still no lag!
Old 18th September 2016, 09:16   #24473
BHPian

My S7 was having a pathetic battery life ever since the update in August. With power saving mode enabled I would get 24 hours with 4 hours of SOT. If I don't use power saving mode I would get around 12 hours with 3 hours SOT. Fed up with this, I did a factory reset and now even without power saving mode I am getting 5 to 6 hours SOT with 24 hours backup! Is it really necessary to do a factory reset after every update?
Old 18th September 2016, 16:45   #24474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
To improve the OPx battery life, do two things : install Greenify. Second in app permissions, kill all the permissions, especially the keep awake and location for all the apps and games which you dont need awake in the background.
Try these changes and you will be pleasantly surprised with the improvement of battery life.
I use Doze in the background. No Games, No FB on my phone. I would try removing the permissions - hope it becomes better. 4 hours is actually pretty decent. I get around 2.5 to 3.5 hrs max.
Old 19th September 2016, 12:01   #24475
BHPian

Got the Redmi 3s (16GB variant) four days back for my dad who is a first time smartphone user. The initial impressions, so far are positive.
2GB RAM is sufficient for him as he uses it just for calls, whatsapp and YouTube. No gaming and hardly and multitasking.

Undoubtedly, the best thing about this handset is battery backup. It's just amazing! Easily lasts for 2 days with still some juice left!
Being a Redmi 1s user, I'm impressed how far Xiaomi has come in terms of battery capacity even with their budget handset.

The only problem is that Screen Mirroring is not working with our Sony KLV-32R512C smart TV which is a bummer for dad as he would have used this frequently to mirror YouTube videos to the television.
The TV just displays preparing screen mirroring....and then it says fails to register the device. I have tried selecting different bands on the television but still no luck.
That said, screen mirroring works flawlessly with MiPad on the very same TV.
Suggestions?
Old 20th September 2016, 12:14   #24476
BHPian

Re:Moto E3?

There is a full page ad in today's TOI on Moto E3.
Any opinion on the same?

Seems it is only a day's offer for exchange with our old device.
Sis wants to swap it for a new device, as she is tired of Windows.

Would this be a good replacement for aging Nokia Lumia 1320?
Old 20th September 2016, 12:18   #24477
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moto E3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any opinion on the same?
Except for the camera, it should be a great buy.
And one change that I see is that it comes with a Mediatek processor vs Qualcomm that Motorola normally uses.

The Moto G Play which costs just 1000 INR extra would be what I would recommend.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:05. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:20   #24478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any opinion on the same?
1GB ram - I would avoid for this reason itself. Multitasking might become a pain after some time.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:05. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:25   #24479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
1GB ram - I would avoid for this reason itself. Multitasking might become a pain after some time.
It has 2GB RAM. Check here
Old 20th September 2016, 12:29   #24480
Senior - BHPian

My fiancee needs a new phone. The research I have done so far shortlisted 2 models. Oppo F1s and One plus 3. The difference is around 10k between the two. What do you guys suggest including any other models?
Requirements - Good camera , decent battery life and lag free experience. 3gb Ram at least.

Last edited by harry10 : 20th September 2016 at 12:30.

Most Viewed