Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 01:12   #24601
BHPian

Google has really pulled off a Jeep (or Toyota for that matter) with the pixel. Exciting enough to keep the enthusiasts interested till the very end, keeping expectations high, and then finally dropping a bomb with a price tag, which destroys it all.

The colour names are really interesting though; 'Quite Black', 'Really Blue', 'Very Silver'. Nice job, Google!
Old 5th October 2016, 06:15   #24602
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Investing anything more than than 2~300$ in today's fast obsolescence age is really a no brainer. Although Pixel looks 'somewhat' premium, it's nothing we haven't seen in it's contemporaries, except perhaps the camera where I reserve my judgement. It's price really kills it.
Old 5th October 2016, 08:44   #24603
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

As disappointed as I was when I saw the pricing, couldn't help but chuckle at the names of the colours available.
Old 5th October 2016, 08:51   #24604
Senior - BHPian

What an epic fail? How could Google come up with such a blunder? Google is not Apple or Samsung to command such a premium for such an ordinary phone. No standout features no water resistant IPXX features. Humongous bezels. No idea what was Google smoking..!!
The icing on the cake was that glass fused to metal at the back, but only half way through..!!

Last edited by poloman : 5th October 2016 at 08:52.
Old 5th October 2016, 09:05   #24605
Senior - BHPian

Ordered Samsung On8 for the better half

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-samsung-on8.jpg

At 13.4k from Flipkart, I feel it is after a long time that Samsung seems to have woken up to the chinese competition with a perfect blend of hardware to price ratio. Though still at some premium for it's brand but still it has 5.5" FULL HD sAMOLED screen, 3GB of RAM, 16GB internal which is expandable to 128GB, Octa-Core processor, 3300maH removable battery, Dual sim VOLTE enabled 4G, Android 6.0, metal frame and metallic back cover design with a 13MP F1.9 camera! I'm not complaining.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th October 2016 at 09:25.
Old 5th October 2016, 09:10   #24606
Senior - BHPian

^^

I was very much right that the Pixel phones will be way above my budget. But never in my wildest dreams I expected Google to match Apple in pricing.

About the ON8, it may be a decent product considering other Samsung phones but I am very upset with Samsung midrange devices for skimping on very basic and necessary sensors like - light sensor (auto brighness), compass, gyroscope,accelerometer etc etc. Also, no fingerprint sensor as well!

Last edited by adimicra : 5th October 2016 at 09:12.
Old 5th October 2016, 09:30   #24607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
but I am very upset with Samsung midrange devices for skimping on very basic and necessary sensors like - light sensor (auto brighness), compass, gyroscope,accelerometer etc etc. Also, no fingerprint sensor as well!
It does seem to have a Accelerometer, Light Sensor and Proximity Sensor though it misses out on a hardware compass. I personally feel that the fingerprint sensor is a gimmick but that's just a personal opinion. And I doubt if my wife will ever have a need for those additional sensors. But at 13.4k for a Samsung product, I'm not complaining, as I said...

Cheers.
Old 5th October 2016, 09:30   #24608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

About the ON8, it may be a decent product considering other Samsung phones but I am very upset with Samsung midrange devices for skimping on very basic and necessary sensors like - light sensor (auto brighness), compass, gyroscope,accelerometer etc etc. Also, no fingerprint sensor as well!
Agree with adimicra - To add more, they have introduced Exynos based chipsets in entry/midrange skipping Snapdragon mid-tier chipsets,
Snapdragon 650/652 is rated higher than Helio/Exynos counterparts.

http://www.techgrapple.com/exynos-78...napdragon-650/
Old 5th October 2016, 11:33   #24609
Team-BHP Support

We in the family managed to snag one of the Moto Turbos on the Flipkart sale. Expectedly, it's old stock (Mar 2015).

Though Li-Po batteries aren't known to degenerate significantly with long storage, is this something we should be concerned about?
Old 5th October 2016, 15:27   #24610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We in the family managed to snag one of the Moto Turbos on the Flipkart sale. Expectedly, it's old stock (Mar 2015
Congratulations, my brother was trying but it was probably opened at an unearthly hour. What time did you place the order?
Old 5th October 2016, 17:27   #24611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Congratulations, my brother was trying but it was probably opened at an unearthly hour. What time did you place the order?
It wasn't at an ungodly hour this time for a change! The particular item went on sale 0700 on 03 Oct. I placed my order within the first minute, 'Sold Out' went up around 5-6 min mark. We managed to book only ONE between multiple devices logged in

P.S. Anybody know when Pixel goes on sale in India? Looked neat at the launch event.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th October 2016 at 17:33.
Old 5th October 2016, 18:29   #24612
Senior - BHPian

The Nexus never sold much in the US.

The Pixel is going to be offered with carriers so that google gets volumes. With a contract in the US, the pricing isn't going to be an issue.

Google just gave competition a free run in the low end market. I think the sub INR 35k is a good price to battle it out in India and google committed harakiri.
Old 5th October 2016, 18:32   #24613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anybody know when Pixel goes on sale in India? Looked neat at the launch event.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...d-more-1470290

They will have to reduce pricing when sales do not happen as expected. I would suggest waiting for around 3 months to judge what happens.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2016, 20:08   #24614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...d-more-1470290

They will have to reduce pricing when sales do not happen as expected. I would suggest waiting for around 3 months to judge what happens.

Cheers
Oh Boy! Google suddenly trying to beat Apple at their own game? Given the varied Android ecosystem and price bands, it would be tough to provide differentiation to justify that kind of pricing.

iPhones are a different story because they're the sole iOS option. Not so for Android. This pricing isn't going to work in the mass market.
Old 5th October 2016, 20:14   #24615
BHPian

Google lurches from one disaster to another... android L, nexus 9, pixel C and now this crappy looking handset with a LOL-able price tag.
Sorry Sundar saar, this joke is DOA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks