Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 07:38   #17011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Could you please tell me the procedure of manually updating the phone?
Since it is a nexus, nexus device firmwares can be downloaded directly from googles website and can be flashed used tools such as Nexus Root Tool Kit.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

The privileges of owning a nexus device.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:07   #17012
Senior - BHPian

My phone battery barely lasts 10 hours and its a regular tragedy when I forget to keep it for charge at night and the next day I have to charge it bit-by-bit every time I get a chance :(

It seriously annoys me that I have SUCH a good phone, but the battery lets me down! Dunno why phone companies can't provide an extra (externally rechargeable) battery with phones. It'd be SO much more convenient, another advantage is we wouldn't have to confine the phone (and ourselves) near the charging point.

Even they'd not be under pressure to extend battery life while designing new phones.

Let's say what if they had an internal battery so we wouldn't need to switch the phone OFF whilst we swap batteries!
Old 21st November 2013, 09:42   #17013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
My phone battery barely lasts 10 hours and its a regular tragedy when I forget to keep it for charge at night and the next day I have to charge it bit-by-bit every time I get a chance :(
Why don't you buy an external battery pack ? You can charge this battery pack beforehand and then use it to charge your mobile battery on the go without having to confine yourself near a charging point.

Car chargers can also be quite useful, especially if your commute times are long.

Finally a humble USB cable can be a life saver. It can be used to charge the phone battery through a USB port of a laptop/PC.

Rohan
Old 21st November 2013, 10:53   #17014
BHPian

Managed to update Note 2 to 4.3. I did it via Samsung Kies. The process went smoothly. So far loving it.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:39   #17015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Updated to KitKat ( Android 4.4 ) on Google Nexus 4. Was not patient enough to wait for the OTA updates. Hence got it directly from Google's website.
Do we lose the root on our 'Nexus 4' on update of 4.4?
Old 21st November 2013, 11:42   #17016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Managed to update Note 2 to 4.3. I did it via Samsung Kies. The process went smoothly. So far loving it.
I tried it yesterday but after downloading about 300MB, it stopped download and now the phone says that software is up to date. Will try again with Kies, was updating OTA earlier. But with my earlier experience with Kies on Galaxy S2, I'm just praying that it goes off smoothly.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:52   #17017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Do we lose the root on our 'Nexus 4' on update of 4.4?
I haven't rooted my nexus 4. But, logically, you should lose the root ( the install is performed after a full wipe, if your boot loader is locked now ). But you should be able to root it again. :-)
Old 21st November 2013, 16:11   #17018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Updated to KitKat ( Android 4.4 ) on Google Nexus 4. Was not patient enough to wait for the OTA updates. Hence got it directly from Google's website.

Attachment 1169140
Hey Amalji, on being one of the earliest on the forum to taste KitKat! One question - how does the Hangouts integration with the SMS app work? Any glitches?
Old 21st November 2013, 16:17   #17019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Hey Amalji, on being one of the earliest on the forum to taste KitKat! One question - how does the Hangouts integration with the SMS app work? Any glitches?
Sorry to jump the queue, the sms integration is already available with 4.3, just update the app. from play store.

It's works fine. You do have the ability to disassociate the sms from hangouts if you don't like it.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:36   #17020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post

Sorry to jump the queue, the sms integration is already available with 4.3, just update the app. from play store.

It's works fine. You do have the ability to disassociate the sms from hangouts if you don't like it.
I have refrained from updating since I had some negative views about the integration. If there's an option to dissociate of I don't like, that's good.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:39   #17021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
If there's an option to dissociate of I don't like, that's good.
There is option to turn off the integration, so there's no harm in updating the app.
Old 21st November 2013, 17:19   #17022

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
=============
Let's say what if they had an internal battery so we wouldn't need to switch the phone OFF whilst we swap batteries!
There are a few ways to extend the battery life. I am sure most of us are aware of it but do not actively turn off features we usually do not need. Am listing the to do's to increase battery life without compromising much on features (Hope it helps).

1. Switch Off Wifi / Bluetooth when not needed.
2. Switch off location services when not need ( location services consume a lot of battery life )
3. Switch of automatic brightness and adjust the brightness level that is comfortable to one's eyes.
4. Dont connect to a 3G network when 2G will do.
5. Turn off vibration & sound feedback when typing.
6. Restrict push notifications to critical apps ( push notifications eat a lot of data + battery life )
7. Keep your apps up to date. Developers often release updates for apps and games that offer improved optimization and this can have a big impact on battery life. If you discover a battery hog, then consider removing it. Don’t use task killer apps.
8. Keep your smartphone as cool as possible. Sitting in direct sunlight on the dashboard of your car will actually drain the battery faster.
9. Different batteries respond to different charging schedules and they will all eventually degrade. Most smartphones have lithium-ion batteries in them. One thing that many people do which can degrade the battery’s health is to leave it plugged in after it is fully charged. If you’re going to charge your phone overnight, then try to use a charger that shuts off once the battery is full. It’s also best not to let your battery fully discharge too often. Once a month is handy to ensure that calibration is correct (so your phone can tell you accurately how much battery life is left), but in general you may want to charge it before it drops too low.

If you regulary run out of battery life in the night then it would also be a good idea to have alarm to recharge the battery (I do this as i sail in the same ship as yours.)
Old 21st November 2013, 18:06   #17023
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Eddy : 21st November 2013 at 22:39. Reason: Note inline.
Old 21st November 2013, 19:07   #17024
BHPian

Guys one of my friends is looking for a midrange android phone. He is confused between Xperia L and Grand Quattro. I have suggested him Xperia L. Is it a good phone?
Old 21st November 2013, 19:11   #17025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish.shah View Post

There are a few ways to extend the battery life. I am sure most of us are aware of it but do not actively turn off features we usually do not need. Am listing the to do's to increase battery life without compromising much on features (Hope it helps).

1. Switch Off Wifi / Bluetooth when not needed.
2. Switch off location services when not need ( location services consume a lot of battery life )
3. Switch of automatic brightness and adjust the brightness level that is comfortable to one's eyes.
4. Dont connect to a 3G network when 2G will do.
5. Turn off vibration & sound feedback when typing.
6. Restrict push notifications to critical apps ( push notifications eat a lot of data + battery life )
7. Keep your apps up to date. Developers often release updates for apps and games that offer improved optimization and this can have a big impact on battery life. If you discover a battery hog, then consider removing it. Don’t use task killer apps.
8. Keep your smartphone as cool as possible. Sitting in direct sunlight on the dashboard of your car will actually drain the battery faster.
9. Different batteries respond to different charging schedules and they will all eventually degrade. Most smartphones have lithium-ion batteries in them. One thing that many people do which can degrade the battery’s health is to leave it plugged in after it is fully charged. If you’re going to charge your phone overnight, then try to use a charger that shuts off once the battery is full. It’s also best not to let your battery fully discharge too often. Once a month is handy to ensure that calibration is correct (so your phone can tell you accurately how much battery life is left), but in general you may want to charge it before it drops too low.

If you regulary run out of battery life in the night then it would also be a good idea to have alarm to recharge the battery (I do this as i sail in the same ship as yours.)
The trouble is with all these steps, the phone typically has no advantage over a smart feature phone like the Nokia Asha. The whole point of getting a smart phone is to be able to use it without having to keep turning things on and off.

I personally have been on a quest for the best battery life, even since I first got the nexus one and was horrified to find it lasted barely half a day (less if it was on 3g, which was a royal pain).

I then went to my blackberry curve and then the bold 9780. They had great battery life (on 2G) but we're incredibly slow.

Over the past three years, the Android phones that I've loved were:
Motorola RAZR maxx (used it for a year which was a record)
Xperia ZR (used it for three months and then things went wrong)
And now the LG G2, which is on part with the RAZR despite the bigger screen and faster processor..

I've also experimented with tons of Roms on the nexus one, the HTC sensation xe and the HTC One but despite custom kernels and cpu governors, I couldn't get them to work and palmed them off to my brother.

I also tried the Samsung S4 but that died on me in 2 days. And then I fought and got a refund and bought the LG.

The point I'm making is that across the board, for some reason, manufacturers don't want to focus on battery life which I think is the Achilles Heel of the smartphone. It's pointless having 8 cores and a hd screen with n number of features if they all have a battery life of ten minutes. It's almost like the Harley Davidson 48 :-P

I guess going forward, we will see development on the battery front, but I think for the moment, there are a handful of phones that make the cut (the lenovo k790 is also awesome for the battery). While Google promised a better battery life with KitKat, my colleague who just got the nexus 5 this week from the US can barely get 11 hours from his phone. I think that's a fail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks